LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think the plate covers would be illegal!

The traffic lights were brought in by the city government, not LE. And the $ collected has been controlled by the city government----it's completely a civil operation.

I have heard that if you are pulled over for something, you can be fined for having the cover, but I've never heard of LE pulling over someone for just that.

I'm getting the impression from reading the FMN FB that the tip line is staffed by volunteers and maybe is not fully covered 24x7. If so, hopefully it has voice mail or some type of callback system. Altho maybe the problem is constant busy signals due to so many tips coming in (and not enough lines)? :waitasec:

They'd have to be an idiot to be taking her out in the boonies but leave her bike at an I-10 exit, no? I'm thinking the perp didn't have a a boat.

Really, all we can tell is that she was abducted in Lafayette and her bike was dumped under this overpass, on a country road. He must know that area. He could well have a boat but dumped the bike there as a diversion. It's so hard to guess. The best we hope for is that the bike yields some evidence or that something from him around there, like tire tracks. Being that it's a paved road, that's doubtful, imo.

Sorry if this has already been posted. From LPD's website:
Date: 5/27/2012 Time: 3:30:00 PM

UPDATE VI: Search Continues for Missing Lafayette Woman

Lafayette, LA – Lafayette Police are confirming that Mickey Shunick’s bike has been found beneath the Whiskey Bay I-10 Bridge at Exit #127. Some local fisherman located the bike and notified police through the tips line. The entire area and the river are being searched for clues and evidence. Police are asking the public to remain out of the area so that law enforcement officials can search. The case remains under investigation.

http://www.lafayettela.gov/Police/Press_Releases.asp?PR_Id=4677

The Advocate just posted this article. Posting it in the event it may shed any additional info or a different light concerning the 1st truck & cargo bed issue.

http://theadvocate.com/home/2944447-125/missing-lafayette-girls-bicycle-found

Snipped by me:
The second truck is a white, four-door Chevrolet Z-71 truck that traveled in the same direction on St. Landry Street as the bicyclist believed to be Shunick, Mouton said.

The third vehicle is a 1980s or 1990s four-door car with body work on the rear right quarter panel, Mouton said. Police believe that car turned onto St. Landry Street and headed in the same direction as Shunick, Mouton said.

Police also said that the first pickup truck, which traveled from the area that Shunick had traveled, has a cargo bed cover and tinted windows, Mouton said.

They might have found tire tracks.

The traffic lights were brought in by the city government, not LE. And the $ collected has been controlled by the city government----it's completely a civil operation.

I have heard that if you are pulled over for something, you can be fined for having the cover, but I've never heard of LE pulling over someone for just that.

I hate those *dang* things!!! But, glad if they can be used to catch an evil doer.

Just guessing, but the 5/23 RSO verification may have been due to Mickey's case (LE checking all RSO's). Not sure how the verification process works tho...so better to call, IMO.

I called and gave the tip

Bless that fisherman for seeing the bike and calling it in. I am sure someone would have seen it sooner or later, but the sooner the better.

Just jumping on- her bike has been found about 25 miles away? Like thrown over side of a bridge? Is that correct and is there any other info I missed while skimming the thread? Tia

I don't think we know yet how the bike was disposed of. We don't know if it was dropped from an overpass, or driven down to the bushes and hidden away by hand. No news on that yet. One big question is how come it was not seen before this---was it recently placed there?

I believe we will as well. I sure pray thats the case anyway! I hope within that 25 plus miles, many cameras will be able to nail down some clues.

The only problem is that by the truck going towards I-10, it's a safe bet that he got onto I-10 and accessed this area from there. With the amount of white trucks in the area, it will be very, very hard to pinpoint him at any area along the way. I know for sure that there are two traffic (red light) cameras along University towards I-10--I've gotten flashed by one that is on Madeline (I think? Between Congress and Cameron) when I was a UL student and the other is directly before getting on I-10. After that, there would be the weigh station camera that would have caught him, but there's no way to know for sure which truck would be him, especially if the quality is comparable to the quality seen so far. Between exits is a lot of 'absolutely nothing'...trees, fields, etc.

i found a rso that lives along that road , he has a white 2008 ford f250 and was last verified 5/23/2012 (it looks just like the truck) i wonder if they have already looked at him? That would have been this past wednesday.
I just tried to call the tip line but cant get through

link?!

There's a RSO that lives in Mickey's neighborhood and works at an Indian restauraunt in Lafayette (According to address given for his work on RSO site). He has a white truck registered to him per his RSO listing online.
I'm thinking Mickey and her friends may have eaten at this restauraunt occasionally or maybe even often because Indian food has lots of options for vegans and vegetarians. He also previously lived in NO from what I can tell online, so he'd be familiar with the Lafayette to NO route along I-10 and know about the Whiskey Bay area as a desolate location and know it as a dumping ground after awful crime that is easily accesible from a route he knows (I-10).

Is this okay to post - I know he's not a POI or suspect but can we post stuff like this about RSOs since they're listed online?

Bless that fisherman for seeing the bike and calling it in. I am sure someone would have seen it sooner or later, but the sooner the better.

Was it right alongside the river bank? Did they see it while fishing I wonder?

There's a RSO that lives in Mickey's neighborhood and works at an Indian restauraunt in Lafayette. He has a white truck registered to him per his RSO listing online.
I'm thinking Mickey and her friends may have eaten at this restauraunt occasionally or maybe even often because Indian food has lots of options for vegans and vegetarians. He also previously lived nun NO from what I can tell online, so he'd be familiar with the Lafayette to NO route along I-10 and know about the Whiskey Bay area as a desolate location and know it as a dumping ground after awful crime that is easily accesible from a route he knows (I-10).

Is this okay to post - I know he's not a POI or suspect but can we post stuff like this about RSOs since they're listed online?

I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread that LE had updated 'last check' on him to be the 23rd.

Keep trying! I think I read that they only have one line.

ETA: I'm sorry! I got caught up reading and posted. Carry on! :)

Ya got me on this one! Probably best to ask an actual mod; I'm just trying to greet newbies and use the little bit I know so the thread runs smoothly - mods are stretched thin right now with lots of hot cases plus Memorial Day weekend. Alert on your own post by hitting that red exclamation point at the upper right of your post, then ask your question on the next screen.

Hopefully there will be some sort of LE update/press conference this evening ....

(Thud.)

"Bring the smelling salts, wfgodot just fainted!"

I know, me too. Holly Bobo's father is in the tree trimming business. There had been talk that he had a disgruntled former employee but the details or possibilities of him being the perp were not explored to my knowledge (using this as an example only - not suggesting anything to do with HB's father).

If these young women can't be found alive, where are their bodies going? Someone sick enough could be getting rid of them using equipment that is intended for everyday use in a business. It's hard to fathom but it's possible. Out of all the missing women on the petite blond list, not one of their bodies has been found. Even if one was found, we could begin to consider they're not linked but I'm really beginning to wonder if they could be linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove