LA LA - Nanette Watson Krentel, 49, found dead in house fire, Lacombe, 14 Jul 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“We know what happened to Nanette Krentel,” said an investigator. The only mystery is the coroner’s ruling.

11/08/2018

"...“We know what happened,” said the investigator, who wasn’t authorized to discuss the case and didn’t want to be named.

“There’s no mystery” about who is responsible for taking Krentel’s life, the investigator added. If anything, the source said, mystery surrounds a decision made in the days following Krentel’s 2017 death....

Krentel, a former preschool teacher, was found dead by firefighters picking through the remnants of the burned-out home she had shared with her husband, Steve Krentel. At the time, he was chief of St. Tammany Fire District 12. He’s since resigned....

Nanette Krentel’s body was burned beyond recognition. DNA was used to confirm her identity, a spokesman for the St. Tammany Parish Coroner’s Office told HuffPost at the time.

But the case took a sinister turn on July 21, 2017, when authorities announced that the autopsy showed Nanette Krentel died of a gunshot wound. Investigators also determined the fire had been intentionally set after fuel had been poured throughout the living room and master bedroom.

“We are diligently working on this case, and our detectives will continue to work until we have all of the answers,” Sheriff Randy Smith said at the time.

Dr. Charles Preston, the parish coroner, found neither soot nor ash in Krentel’s lungs, which he said clearly indicated she was dead before the fire. He ruled her death a homicide....

Investigators firmly believe Nanette Krentel died by suicide, according to the investigator who spoke with HuffPost. They discount the theory that she was dead prior to the fire. As the source said, investigators believe Krentel could have set the fire, then stepped into the master bathroom and fired a fatal shot into her head.

“We don’t understand the coroner’s ruling,” the source said. “This is a suicide.”...

The day the coroner announced he had classified the case a homicide, the sheriff released a statement saying he did not necessarily support that conclusion. But the sheriff backed off the next day, The Advocate reported in January.

It’s unclear whether law enforcement will continue to treat the case as a whodunnit. The sheriff’s office declined to discuss the unnamed investigator’s contention that authorities believe the death was suicide.

“The Nanette Krentel case is an active and ongoing investigation, and no additional information is available at this time,” said sheriff’s Capt. Scott Lee. ..."

Investigator: 'No Mystery' About Unsolved Slaying Of Louisiana Fire Chief's Wife | HuffPost
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Investigators firmly believe Nanette Krentel died by suicide, according to the investigator who spoke with HuffPost. They discount the theory that she was dead prior to the fire. As the source said, investigators believe Krentel could have set the fire, then stepped into the master bathroom and fired a fatal shot into her head.”

There are many local LE who believe it was homicide. Just stating this because I don’t want people to get the idea that the entire department is incompetent.

The bullet hole was behind her ear, it would be a very awkward angle to hold a gun to your head and fire it. This was no suicide.
Not sure why you think that is such an awkward angle. I can easily duplicate that angle. Consider that a person at the very moment of suicide is amped up on adrenaline and raises that gun to their head in a quick decisive motion because they want to do it while they have the nerve. The aim in that final moment may not be the best. But it’s not like Nanette had to hold the gun at an impossible angle - she didn’t.

The People Magazine Investigates show covered this crime. As soon as they mentioned the nearby gun and her withdrawal from other people, I thought well, there you go. Then they said the coroner said it couldn’t be suicide because she didn’t have soot in her airways. Hello? She likely lit a piece of paper as some kind of fuse that wouldn’t ignite the gasoline for a minute or two. Then she went in the bathroom and shot herself. Of course she wouldn’t breathe in any smoke!

We know her husband had at least two affairs. His brother AND his son hated her, so she was in a tough spot. She decided to end it in a way that would shame him the most - by burning down the house of her husband the FIRE CHIEF.

Then they said the coroner said it couldn’t be suicide because she didn’t have soot in her airways. Hello? She likely lit a piece of paper as some kind of fuse that wouldn’t ignite the gasoline for a minute or two. Then she went in the bathroom and shot herself. Of course she wouldn’t breathe in any smoke!

I know this is someone's opinion and hardly fact, but if that was the case, investigators would have/will be able to determine that. IMO that scenario is farfetched and not at all guaranteed to have worked.

I know this is someone's opinion and hardly fact, but if that was the case, investigators would have/will be able to determine that. IMO that scenario is farfetched and not at all guaranteed to have worked.
Ok then let’s assume that she had a trail of gasoline and she lit one end of it and then walked quickly into the bathroom. Dropping a match into the gasoline is going to ignite it but it’s not going to explode because it’s not all collected in one place. But the bottom line is it’s very feasible and even likely, given the evidence, that she lit the gasoline and then quickly ran into the bathroom and Shot herself.

No one would’ve shot her and then used a fire to cover up the fact that he Shot her, because we all know that a fire is not going to completely obliterate the fact that she was shot. The whole reason for the fire is to send a big old ironic F U to the fire chief husband.

Last edited:
without getting all science-y, dropping a lit match into a trial of gasoline does not guarantee the gasoline will ignite.

I'm sorry I got into this discussion because I don't think Nanette shot herself.

Ok then let’s assume that she had a trail of gasoline and she lit one end of it and then walked quickly into the bathroom. Dropping a match into the gasoline is going to ignite it but it’s not going to explode because it’s not all collected in one place. But the bottom line is it’s very feasible and even likely, given the evidence, that she lit the gasoline and then quickly ran into the bathroom and Shot herself.

No one would’ve shot her and then used a fire to cover up the fact that he Shot her, because we all know that a fire is not going to completely obliterate the fact that she was shot. The whole reason for the fire is to send a big old ironic F U to the fire chief husband.
BBM

I have to disagree on this point. There have been quite a few times people have been shot inside a house/building and then a fire was set by the perpetrator to cover up the crime. You are right that it seldom, if ever, works to conceal the gunshot wound.

Not making an accusation against anyone, but I can imagine someone with an extensive knowledge of fires believing he/she can stage the perfect conflagration to conceal a crime. If NK truly was murdered, the scheme is working out thus far for the perpetrator.

MOO

without getting all science-y, dropping a lit match into a trial of gasoline does not guarantee the gasoline will ignite.

I'm sorry I got into this discussion because I don't think Nanette shot herself.
Then she drops another one and makes sure it IS lit before moving on. It’s a silly argument to think there is no way that she could do something as simple as ignite a fire and then take a few steps into a bathroom without getting soot in her lungs.

BBM

I have to disagree on this point. There have been quite a few times people have been shot inside a house/building and then a fire was set by the perpetrator to cover up the crime. You are right that it seldom, if ever, works to conceal the gunshot wound.

Not making an accusation against anyone, but I can imagine someone with an extensive knowledge of fires believing he/she can stage the perfect conflagration to conceal a crime. If NK truly was murdered, the scheme is working out thus far for the perpetrator.

MOO
The person who things are working out for is SK. How could he luck out to get a coroner to rule homicide despite no evidence that any person entered that property? It’s mind-boggling, and investigators on this case don’t understand why he would do that. But the end result is that SK gets her life insurance money (which he wouldn’t if it was ruled a suicide) and also the house insurance money (which he wouldn’t get if she set the fire herself). No wonder he went ahead and retired when they suspended him.

I would think he killed her, except there’s just too much evidence against it.

The person who things are working out for is SK. How could he luck out to get a coroner to rule homicide despite no evidence that any person entered that property? It’s mind-boggling, and investigators on this case don’t understand why he would do that. But the end result is that SK gets her life insurance money (which he wouldn’t if it was ruled a suicide) and also the house insurance money (which he wouldn’t get if she set the fire herself). No wonder he went ahead and retired when they suspended him.

I would think he killed her, except there’s just too much evidence against it.
Good point about the insurance money. I do agree, too, that it's possible she set the fire and then committed suicide. I'm just not convinced she did commit suicide. I'm sure the coroner had good reason to come to the conclusion he did. But, the autopsy is only one portion of the investigation.

MOO

Good point about the insurance money. I do agree, too, that it's possible she set the fire and then committed suicide. I'm just not convinced she did commit suicide. I'm sure the coroner had good reason to come to the conclusion he did. But, the autopsy is only one portion of the investigation.

MOO
Coroners do get it wrong sometimes. It also would be interesting to know whether any kind of previous friendship existed between the coroner and SK that might have led to something shady.

I know I don’t trust SK. He poisoned NK’s life by bringing into her life affairs and a stepson and brother in law who both had it in for her. The only thing he did for her that was good was that house.

Friends continue to seek justice for Nanette Krentel, found dead in Northshore home (with clip)

Jan 15, 2019

"LACOMBE, La. —
Friends and family gathered Monday to remember Nanette Krentel 18 months after her death on the Northshore. They held a candlelight vigil in honor of the 49-year-old whose death remains unsolved.

Investigators said Krentel was shot in the head. Her body was found burned in her home in July 2017. Her husband, Stephen Krentel, has been ruled out as a suspect, according to the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office...."

Friends continue to seek justice for Nanette Krentel, found dead in Northshore home
---

Nanette Krentel remembered; North Shore slaying unsolved after 18-months

Jan 15, 2019

"Holding small white candles and bracing against the low-40s cold, the sister of Nanette Krentel and a group of friends and supporters gathered Monday night (Jan. 14) outside the St. Tammany Parish courthouse in Covington....

...the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office ruled out Stephen Krentel as a suspect in the case...."

Nanette Krentel remembered; North Shore slaying unsolved after 18-months

VFHVI3MWY5AFPMHTWSWFLQ5H2U.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

RSBM. No, fire wouldn’t obliterate the fact she was shot. However, it could destroy any DNA evidence the perp left behind. Say, hypothetically, Nanette struggled with the perpetrator and scratched him/her. Skin cells under her fingernails, blood droplets (perp’s) on her clothing...all destroyed by fire.

According to firemen who saw the scene, there was so much accelerant used it would have been more like an explosion when the match ignited it

Homicide victim Nanette Krentel’s sister investigated for trespassing at death site

April 12, 2019

"LACOMBE (WVUE) - The saga surrounding the murder of Nanette Krentel on the North Shore has taken a strange turn, with the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office now investigating the victim’s sister for trespassing on the site where Krentel was found slain nearly two years ago, according to our partners at NOLA.com-The Times-Picayune...."

Homicide victim Nanette Krentel’s sister investigated for trespassing at death site

April 12, 2019

"LACOMBE (WVUE) - The saga surrounding the murder of Nanette Krentel on the North Shore has taken a strange turn, with the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office now investigating the victim’s sister for trespassing on the site where Krentel was found slain nearly two years ago, according to our partners at NOLA.com-The Times-Picayune...."

From your link YESorNO.

Now this would be freakin scary. The Watson family has no friends in the sheriff’s dept. Dang this is ugly.

“Watson said she and a friend went to the location north of Lacombe where Krentel was found dead of a gunshot wound in the burned home she shared with husband and then-fire chief Stephen Krentel. She said she wanted to see a memorial that Stephen Krentel had erected at the site.”

“Watson admitted the two walked around a locked gate and past a surveillance camera to get onto the property north of Lacombe, but said other family members had been allowed on the property in the past. “Because he doesn’t live there. I didn’t think it was a big deal,” she said.”

“The two were on the property for about 12 minutes before leaving in a vehicle, Watson said, but they were intercepted by Krentel a short distance away. She said she told her friend to start “hightailing it” and that it led to a high-speed chase on Interstates 12 and 10 into Mississippi as they tried to elude Krentel.”

(Snipped.......Krentel backed off)

“She said she texted Sheriff Randy Smith during the incident and later called a friend who works for the Sheriff’s Office. The department later contacted her and told her to return to St. Tammany Parish and sign a misdemeanor summons for trespassing or face an arrest warrant, Watson said.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back