LA - Port Fourchon; Seacor Power capsizes; US Coast Guard searching for survivors; 13 Apr 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tuesday night brought the potential for further rescues, as the Coast Guard was able to speak to the three people still on the hull using the radios. However, the seas were too rough to reach them. Later Tuesday night, the Coast Guard was notified that one person had fallen in the water and wasn't seen again. The two remaining people later told the Coast Guard they were going back inside the ship, and that was the last time the Coast Guard spoke with them.

https://www.katc.com/news/covering-...ed-and-the-missing-among-crew-of-seacor-power

https://www.katc.com/news/covering-louisiana/families-and-friends-expressing-frustration-with-search

Family members and friends are taking to social media to express frustration about a lack of progress - and an apparent lack of activity - toward rescuing the men missing after a boat capsized last week.

(snip)
One of the men missing is Dylan Daspit, and his brother, Garrett, posted late Saturday that his family is suffering and feels there's no response.

"So with all that is going on, on behalf of the Daspit family we are beyond thankful for the continuing prayers for Dylans arrival to land," he wrote. "Unfortunately we are hearing a lot of people not getting answers, well I am here to tell y’all that we aren’t getting enough answers either. I can inform you if you ever are trapped under the water the coast guard has no say so at what goes on under the surface. As far as who, or what company of divers go under it is all up to the oil company that has hired services! Not too mention we have not heard one word or seen one face from talos energy!!! My dad was planning to hire his own divers and was told if anyone showed up on site they would be arrested, how is this fair to my brother!??"

Garrett Daspit wrote that every minute counts.

"Time is ticking and my brother is down there in that boat, and they know the same.

My heart and prayers go out to the families of the workers and the rescue/recovery team. Families can get extremely disheartened and angry with rescue/recovery missions. Much blame is being placed on LA. Governor Jon Bel Edwards not rushing the rescue. However, the liftboat accident occurred in federal waters. The Coast Guard seems to be in charge of the search. I don't know who is in charge of the divers. The diving has been hampered by rough water and weather conditions and the water is murky.

The post, that has now been shared over 4,000 times is asking for the community to wear white on Friday April 23, 2021, in "Honor, Remembrance, and to bring Awareness for ALL of the families and men who have been lost at sea."

The white color, the post reads, was chosen because it is the liturgical color of St Anthony, the Patron Saint of the Lost.

"Now more than ever, we must support one another and unite in the face of events, both recent and past, that continue to take their toll on our families."

https://www.katc.com/news/covering-...unity-to-honor-and-remember-those-lost-at-sea

https://www.katc.com/news/covering-louisiana/wife-of-missing-man-sues-seacor-and-talos

(Names changed to initials by me)

HD, the wife of one of the men missing after the Seacor Power capsized, has filed suit against the company in Texas court.

The suit, against Seacor Marine, Seacor Liftboats and Talos Energy, was filed Wednesday in Houston.

The suit alleges that D’s husband, DD, was working on the Seacor Power as a "borrowed employee." It alleges that the liftboat got underway despite dangerous weather conditions while "at the direction and control" of Talos Energy. When the liftboat left Port Fourchon, the suit alleges, the National Weather Service was forecasting tropical storm-force winds with "suddenly higher waves" in the area.

The boat left anyway, "putting money over safety and the lives of the men on board," the lawsuit alleges.

(snip)
The lawsuit alleges that DD, before his death, as well as HD, suffered damages that exceed the amount of $25 million. That includes "exemplary damages" that they ask the trier of fact (either the jury or the judge who decides the case) to award to "deter such conscious indifference to human life and suffering and to deter corporations placing corporate profits, money and power over lives of hardworking Americans."

Coast Guard went by the command center today to retrieve the vests. United Cajun Navy refused to give to them. I'm not sure, but I think NTSB is the ones investigating the capsizing. CG ended their searches. Cajun Navy picked up the searches and were the ones who found the vests and hard hats.

https://www.katc.com/news/covering-...o-update-families-after-seacor-power-incident

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Sen. John Kennedy (R-LA) introduced the Vessel Response Plan Improvement Act Thursday in the wake of the Seacor Power tragedy, which would require commercial vessels to provide timely notifications to the crew’s family members throughout search and rescue operations.

“The brave families of the Seacor Power crew have suffered more than we can imagine, and it’s appalling that they couldn’t even get straight answers about their loved ones," stated Kennedy in a release. "No Louisiana family should ever have to walk through tragedy with the added weight of the unknown just because of someone else’s poor planning.

"This bill would make sure that families get updates quickly, directly from the vessel’s owners, instead of being forced to sift through rumors in a time of pain," he added. "I’m incredibly sad that Louisiana has lost such faithful crewmembers, and I hope we can prevent others from bearing the burden that their loved ones have had to endure."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattooteena
Back