Found Deceased LA - Robert Owens Jr., 58, visiting from NJ, geocaching, car found, Kisatchie Natl Forest, Rapides Parish, 17 Jul 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
a333f8e2-ba94-4475-97e5-d8b694c722d0-ani_Robert_Owens_Jr.jpg

Deputies assigned to the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office Special Operations Group are conducting a missing person search off of Messina Road for a missing “geocacher” from New Jersey.

According to initial reports, with the asssistance of another geocacher, deputies located a vehicle belonging to ROBERT OWENS, JR of Millville, NJ. A computer check of the vehicle indicated Owens was reported missing on July 17th, 2023.

Mr. Owens is a 58 year old white male, 5’9” tall, 170 pounds with blue eyes and brown hair.

Geocaching is an outdoor recreational activity, in which participants use a Global Positioning System receiver or mobile device and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", at specific locations marked by coordinates all over the world.

Also involved in the search is Louisiana Department Of-Wildlife And Fisheries U.S. Forest Service, Oak Hill Fire Department and several civilian volunteers.

Sheriff’s Detectives are also on the scene conducting their investigation into the missing person report.
If anyone has any information on Robert Owens, Jr, they are asked to contact RPSO at 318-473-6700, Detective Tamiko Paulk at 319-473-6727 or local law enforcement.

Most of the road winds through the Kisatchie National Forest, and that portion is not paved. The car was found two miles past the paved portion of the road, according to Chief of Staff Tommy Carnline.

Most locals comments I have read all say "he was out there in this heat?" I also read a mention that someone had died in that same area about this time last year due to the heat, and had to search for info on that.

I found this article, and am hoping Robert wasn't overcome by the conditions in the same way:

"The Natchitoches Parish Sheriff’s Office has released more details about the Shreveport Cultural Resource Analyst who died from a possible heat stroke on her first day on the job in the Kisatchie National Forest Monday.

Kaylen Gehrke, 24, of Longview, Texas, was working on an archaeological survey with two co-workers when she became ill around 2:14 p.m. Monday. First responders found the group on Forest Service Road #321 Bayou Camp Road off of the Longleaf Vista in Kisatchie National Forest. Her co-workers performed CPR on her until help arrived.

EMS attempted to revive her, but Gehrke died at the scene. Natchitoches Parish Coroner Asst. Coroner Steven Clanton says there were no apparent signs of foul play, and he believes her death may be heat-related. Her body will be transported to Shreveport for an autopsy."

(Follow up - sadly her autopsy did confirm she died of heatstroke

I'm sure praying that Robert will turn up A OK.

a333f8e2-ba94-4475-97e5-d8b694c722d0-ani_Robert_Owens_Jr.jpg

Deputies assigned to the Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office Special Operations Group are conducting a missing person search off of Messina Road for a missing “geocacher” from New Jersey.

According to initial reports, with the asssistance of another geocacher, deputies located a vehicle belonging to ROBERT OWENS, JR of Millville, NJ. A computer check of the vehicle indicated Owens was reported missing on July 17th, 2023.

Mr. Owens is a 58 year old white male, 5’9” tall, 170 pounds with blue eyes and brown hair.

Geocaching is an outdoor recreational activity, in which participants use a Global Positioning System receiver or mobile device and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", at specific locations marked by coordinates all over the world.

Also involved in the search is Louisiana Department Of-Wildlife And Fisheries U.S. Forest Service, Oak Hill Fire Department and several civilian volunteers.

Sheriff’s Detectives are also on the scene conducting their investigation into the missing person report.
If anyone has any information on Robert Owens, Jr, they are asked to contact RPSO at 318-473-6700, Detective Tamiko Paulk at 319-473-6727 or local law enforcement.

Most of the road winds through the Kisatchie National Forest, and that portion is not paved. The car was found two miles past the paved portion of the road, according to Chief of Staff Tommy Carnline.

New comment from the sheriffs office on the same post:
“Sheriff’s Detectives are attempting to identify these hikers at the head of the Azalea Trail to see if they may have seen Mr. Owens. If you know who they are, please have them call RPSO at 318-473-6700.”
7DC55771-8427-48D5-89E1-9A151DBC20A7.jpeg

So far the only log he is confirmed to have signed is here: His username is BlazeOn1689762347689.png

His car was not far away from this Cache which is located at N 31° 14.325 W 092° 37.327

He does not appear to have signed the log for the Caches he would have passed on the way to this one from where his car was found or further down the trail.

Last edited:
Geocachers, are there other caches around the one he found? Could he have been walking to a second one?

My hunch is the heat got to him, but you'd think he would've been found if that is the case.

jmo
There are four in the immediate vicinity (within a mile along the trail). According to the logs LE has been given those coordinates and Cachers have physically checked all of these.

Heat would be my guess as well. He may not have been on the trail- geocachers are known to bushwack their way to the next cache if they are in a hurry or their GPS is bouncing around under the trees.

He signed the one circled, he parked at the P. The ? mark is a puzzle- LE have been given the solution

1689763907599.png

The trail cam and the last log entry were both dated July 9. Is it fair to say that his last known location was on July 9, even though he wasn't reported missing until more than a week later when his car was located?

UPDATE: RPSO says human remains found in search of missing geocacher

According to the Rapides Parish Sheriff’s Office, human remains were found around 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning (July 19) during the search for the missing geocacher from New Jersey.

The remains were located in a densely-wooded area near a creek about half of a mile from the trailhead on Messina Road. RPSO said that due to the severe decomposition of the remains, positive identification is pending. However, the remains are believed to be that of the missing geocacher, Robert Owens, Jr., based on clothing descriptions and physical characteristics.

The Rapides Parish Coroner recovered the remains and an autopsy is pending.

UPDATE: RPSO says human remains found in search of missing geocacher

According to the Rapides Parish Sheriff’s Office, human remains were found around 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning (July 19) during the search for the missing geocacher from New Jersey.

The remains were located in a densely-wooded area near a creek about half of a mile from the trailhead on Messina Road. RPSO said that due to the severe decomposition of the remains, positive identification is pending. However, the remains are believed to be that of the missing geocacher, Robert Owens, Jr., based on clothing descriptions and physical characteristics.

The Rapides Parish Coroner recovered the remains and an autopsy is pending.
Sorry to read this. :(

Most locals comments I have read all say "he was out there in this heat?" I also read a mention that someone had died in that same area about this time last year due to the heat, and had to search for info on that.

I found this article, and am hoping Robert wasn't overcome by the conditions in the same way:

"The Natchitoches Parish Sheriff’s Office has released more details about the Shreveport Cultural Resource Analyst who died from a possible heat stroke on her first day on the job in the Kisatchie National Forest Monday.

Kaylen Gehrke, 24, of Longview, Texas, was working on an archaeological survey with two co-workers when she became ill around 2:14 p.m. Monday. First responders found the group on Forest Service Road #321 Bayou Camp Road off of the Longleaf Vista in Kisatchie National Forest. Her co-workers performed CPR on her until help arrived.

EMS attempted to revive her, but Gehrke died at the scene. Natchitoches Parish Coroner Asst. Coroner Steven Clanton says there were no apparent signs of foul play, and he believes her death may be heat-related. Her body will be transported to Shreveport for an autopsy."

(Follow up - sadly her autopsy did confirm she died of heatstroke

I'm sure praying that Robert will turn up A OK.
I live in Louisiana and we’re having a heatwave 95-102 degrees with 100% humidity. Locals are acclimated and prepare. My husband rides 15-20 miles at noon. Visitors from up north suffer in this environment.
I just saw the sad news.

Last edited:

Remains of missing New Jersey geocacher found near Messina Road​

But officials noted that based on clothing description and other physical traits, investigators believe it is Owens’ body.

The Rapides Parish coroner took possession of the remains to perform an autopsy, where a cause of death and positive identification is expected to be determined.

The Millville native disappeared during a geocaching trip, which is an outdoor activity where participants use a Global Positioning System receiver or cellphone and other navigational techniques to hide and locate containers.
New Jersey father Robert Owens Jr.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obamna
Back