LA LA - Tyler Barnett, of Houma, missing from cruise ship Carnival Glory, Gulf of Mexico *Active Search* - 12 Nov 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

ifindedout

Reaction score
NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - The United States Coast Guard confirmed that air crews spent several hours Monday (Nov. 13) searching off Louisiana’s coast after a Houma man was reported missing from the Carnival Glory cruise ship.

[...]

The USCG said it had dispatched aircraft that searched a 200-square-mile area of the Gulf near SouthWest Pass from approximately noon or 1 p.m. through 7:45 p.m., without results.

Family members posting on social media identified the missing man as Tyler Lee Barnett. A sister also on the cruise ship posted that he was last seen Sunday at 11:40 p.m. and that an onboard search started Monday around 7 a.m.

The New Orleans Coast Guard is searching a 200 mile area for a man that went missing on Monday from a Louisiana cruise ship bound for Montego Bay, Jamaica.

The 8th District Coast Guard in New Orleans received a report that a 28-year-old male passenger was missing from the Carnival Glory cruise ship on Monday afternoon, after ship crews could not locate him aboard. Two aircraft were launched to conduct searches, following the ship's track toward Jamaica.

The passenger's family identified the missing man as Tyler Barnett from Houma, Louisiana, who is the father of twin girls...

What a great point! In this day and age, why don't cruise ships have all the railings under surveillance?

Or maybe they do: I know nothing about commercial cruises.
There are plenty of surveillance cameras on passenger cruise ships covering internal and external areas of the ship. I've been on many cruises and can tell you that, unless someone does something really stupid, it is nearly impossible to fall overboard. Passengers who do silly things like sitting/standing on railings for photos, leaning too far over a railing to look at something in the sea below, etc. are putting themselves in danger of going overboard accidentally. There is a lot of alcohol consumption on cruises, and people tend to let their guard down and engage in behaviors that they would not exhibit in other circumstances.

Intentionally jumping overboard is a whole different matter, and it seems, sadly, that this was the case with Tyler Barnett. How awful for his family to have to endure this while they're on a family trip. They, at least, know what happened to their loved one, unlike the family of Kevin McGrath who is still missing.

Last edited:
wow

Sounds like from the cruise line's statement linked in the article upthread (Coast Guard searching Gulf after Houma man reported missing from Carnival cruise ship) that it had been looking at surveillance video but were looking for someone wearing a different color shirt and that when they got word of the possible different color, they reviewed footage again and were allegedly able to see him climbing into a lifeboat and jumping.

At first, it struck me as pretty odd that they wouldn't see a man climbing into a lifeboat on the video and connect him to the missing person (or something else hinky going on, come on!) - but thinking about it now, I imagine there are so many cameras and so many people onboard and they were looking for passengers in an X colored shirt and following those people's movements around the boat, so they would not have paid attention to a passenger's movements who was wearing a Y colored shirt.

Hearing different things, have family seen the footage or not. It says in this article they have.

In the article, you can see where the lifeboats are on the side of the ship. I’ve never personally been on a cruise, but it says he opened a gate into a restricted area and then was able to climb into the lifeboat and jump. Is that easy enough to do? It seems like it shouldn’t be possible to access the (non-railing) exterior of the boat by simply going through a gate?! Maybe they are making it sound simpler than it is, but I would hope those areas are locked except in emergencies.

In the article, you can see where the lifeboats are on the side of the ship. I’ve never personally been on a cruise, but it says he opened a gate into a restricted area and then was able to climb into the lifeboat and jump. Is that easy enough to do? It seems like it shouldn’t be possible to access the (non-railing) exterior of the boat by simply going through a gate?! Maybe they are making it sound simpler than it is, but I would hope those areas are locked except in emergencies.
There are many parts of a cruise ship that are not accessible to passengers. Doors and gates are clearly marked "Crew Only", but I can't tell you if the doors/gates are locked because I've never tried them. I've seen some gated areas that are low enough to climb over, so whether or not the gates are locked wouldn't matter if someone was determined to access a "Crew Only" part of the ship. JMO

The family of a missing Louisiana dad who officials said was filmed jumping off a Carnival cruise ship say they’ve now also seen the footage — and are convinced he slipped over the edge in a tragic accident.

Officials told The Post on Wednesday that Tyler Barnett, 28, was seen on surveillance video climbing onto a lifeboat and then leaping off the side of the Jamaica-bound Carnival Glory in the early hours of Monday.

But his grandmother, Dirlean Tate Mason, said family members who’ve seen the footage are adamant he slipped — reinforcing their belief that he wouldn’t have left behind his family, including a wife and 3-year-old twin daughters.

“Never on purpose. No. I just don’t believe that. Not to (die by) suicide or anything,” Mason told NOLA.com...

Regardless of what his family might think, Tyler had no business being in a "crew only" area of the ship. One doesn't just step into a lifeboat that is tethered to the side of the ship. The only way that he could have gotten into a lifeboat was to trespass through a "crew only" gate.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody
Back