LA LA - Zachary Burkey, 26, New Orleans, 16 Sep 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bump. The body found was identified and definitely not Zachary. Local here, and this is so sad. He seems to have completely vanished. His mother has done so much to try and find him.
I actually searched fb for info last night. I never know if people / families stop posting because they already received unofficial word or they just get overwhelmed. But where is he?

I actually searched fb for info last night. I never know if people / families stop posting because they already received unofficial word or they just get overwhelmed. But where is he?

I have been searching to keep updated on Facebook too. There was news coverage and updated articles and everything initially, and now everything is just gone. I can't believe he just vanished without any trace at all.

I know phone record warrants were in the works, I wonder if they revealed to the family some indications of what happened. I hope Zachary's family is able to get closure and that he is found.

I wonder if they kind of know what happened? Because it went completely silent! Suer weird.

Thanks for that link, @JrzyGirl70! There was some interesting information:

"Details of Disappearance
Burkey was last seen of New Orleans, Louisiana on September 16, 2018. He left his mother's home in the 3500 block of Camp Street at 7:00 p.m., riding his mountain bike, and disappeared afterwards. The bicycle, which is black with distinctive, thick rims, is still missing. A photo of a similar one is posted with this case summary.

Demetrius Williams used Burkey's debit card at a Rite Aid pharmacy the night Burkey went missing, and was charged with sixteen counts of access device fraud. He was homeless at the time.

When questioned about Burkey's disappearance, he said he said he and Burkey were near Cooter Brown’s Tavern and Oyster Bar in the Riverbend area. They had drunk alcohol together and talked about narcotics. They walked together down south Carrollton Avenue with two other people, known only as "Buff" and "Slim Shady." Burkey was pushing his bike. Williams said he left Burkey with Slim Shady and Buff and the three men continued to walk down the street, and he never saw him after that.

Surveillance video shows Burkey was at Cooter Brown’s Tavern that night; he withdrew $80 from an ATM at 8:25 p.m. He appeared to be calm and relaxed at the time. His mother stated it wasn't uncharacteristic of him to talk to strangers.

At the time of his disappearance, Burkey worked as a lifeguard with the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission. No suspects have been named in his disappearance; it remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • New Orleans Police Department 504-658-6060
Source Information
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated February 26, 2020; casefile added." ETA: BBM

Here is Zachary's missing poster from Texas EquuSearch:

MISSING: Zachary Burkey – New Orleans, Louisiana (9/16/18)

"MISSING: Zachary Burkey – New Orleans, Louisiana (9/16/18)
Posted By Kevin Cotter On August 8, 2019

26 Year-old Zachary Burkey was last seen in the Pigeon Town area of New Orleans, Louisiana on September 16th 2018. Zachary was wearing a dark gray t-shirt, black shorts and red & black flip flops. Zachary was last seen pushing his black mountain bike, and it is still missing. Zachary has a small pock mark above his left eye, and he has the tattoo of a woman silhouette on his right shoulder, and the tattoo of some small creature on his back. If you have seen Zachary Burkey since his reported disappearance, if you know of his current whereabouts, or if you have any information whatsoever concerning Zachary’s disappearance; please call the New Orleans Police Department at (504) 658-6060 – or call Texas EquuSearch at (281) 309-9500"

• burkey_zachary.jpg
  • burkey_zachary2.jpg
  • burkey_zachary3.jpg
  • burkey_zachary4.jpg
  • burkey_zachary5.jpg

More photos from CP

• burkey_zachary6.jpg
  • burkey_zachary7.jpg
  • burkey_zachary8.jpg
  • burkey_zachary9.jpg
  • burkey_zachary_bike.jpg
Burkey, circa 2018; Bicycle similar to Burkey's