Lady Bird Johnson dead at 94

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for all this info Marthatex.:blowkiss:

Your welcome. her life really is very interesting. :blowkiss: People around here are really going to be honoring her; of course many are traveling here also.

I don't really like crowds, but I plan to be there Sun. Morning if it doesn't rain.

I think I love flowers about as much as she did......

I may be able to find out some more "secret stories", in the next couple of weeks, because I'm attending the Secret Service Agent's sons' wedding in Houston.

I promise to keep my ears open and maybe share some things......

Your welcome. her life really is very interesting. :blowkiss: People around here are really going to be honoring her; of course many are traveling here also.

I don't really like crowds, but I plan to be there Sun. Morning if it doesn't rain.

I think I love flowers about as much as she did......

I may be able to find out some more "secret stories", in the next couple of weeks, because I'm attending the Secret Service Agent's sons' wedding in Houston.

I promise to keep my ears open and maybe share some things......

I've just started checking out the site and found out she was born Claudia Alta Taylor. She was nicknamed Lady Bird by the Taylor's maid, Alice Tittle who is shown holding her. She was such a cute little baby and in the second picture she looks just like a little porcelain doll.

I think that's sweet all her secret service guys got together. That shows their fondness for her.

I'm glad you are going to be able to be there. I would if I was there, but I'm way out here in California. I'm like you though, I don't like crowds either.

I'll be looking forward to your stories, Montana

I live right outside Stonewall TX, where the Johnsons have the ranch. The Johnsons were very good friends with one of my friends families. The families were friends from the time Lyndon was a boy until his death. All I'm going to say is that he was crude, and Lady Bird was a real southern lady to the core.

I did meet the family about 20 years ago, and what you see on TV and in interviews is the way she was when in public. She attended the Episcopal Church here in Fredericksburg with her secret service. Sometimes you would see her at the HEB grocery store shopping, but that was back in the 80's.

I have great respect for Lady Bird, the beauty that we are blessed with in this area is because of her. I always thought that Lynda Robb was much nicer than her sister Luci.

Every year there is a christmas program/tree lighting ceremony at the Johnson Ranch Park, and the kids and I would go. We were there the year after she had the stroke, and she was just as gracious. We missed last year, but we will have to attend this year to see if they do anything special in her memory.

The U.S. had no Food Stamp program for down on their luck citizens until the Lyndon Johnson administration. I believe it was 1967.

Lady Bird was a true Southern Belle in my book. I am sure her family will miss her so dearly. I watched a clip of her playing with her greatgrand it looked like...so sweet. Rest peacefully, Lady.

I live right outside Stonewall TX, where the Johnsons have the ranch. The Johnsons were very good friends with one of my friends families. The families were friends from the time Lyndon was a boy until his death. All I'm going to say is that he was crude, and Lady Bird was a real southern lady to the core.

I did meet the family about 20 years ago, and what you see on TV and in interviews is the way she was when in public. She attended the Episcopal Church here in Fredericksburg with her secret service. Sometimes you would see her at the HEB grocery store shopping, but that was back in the 80's.

I have great respect for Lady Bird, the beauty that we are blessed with in this area is because of her. I always thought that Lynda Robb was much nicer than her sister Luci.

Every year there is a christmas program/tree lighting ceremony at the Johnson Ranch Park, and the kids and I would go. We were there the year after she had the stroke, and she was just as gracious. We missed last year, but we will have to attend this year to see if they do anything special in her memory.

Johnson City is such a cute little town; in December I went to a really fun art show there.

I see that you feel just as I do about the Johnsons, and Ladybird. I think Lynda was nicer and more mature than her sister; didn't have the problems (divorce etc).

Obviously you know more of them personally than I do. I just know my fathers "comments"; the Secret Service agent doesn't really talk much, out of respect for Ladybird.

I've decided not to go down they're in the morning; I don't like to fight crowds. I can always see it on TV. Instead we're going to head out to Stonewall ahead of the caravan; get peaches, and come back a different way.

The U.S. had no Food Stamp program for down on their luck citizens until the Lyndon Johnson administration. I believe it was 1967.

I didn't realize that. Thanks. Of course some of the social programs seemed "too generous" or people took advantage, so they had to "tweak" the welfare programs later on.

Well this morning I drove out to Johnson City BEFORE the entourage. Hardly anyone was on the road; and the whole town had decorated things so pretty.

Every other tree or telephone pole had a wreath or flowers, and there were little alternating state and us flags lining the road. People weren't sitting out much yet; so I took several photos of the wreaths and flags. I hope they come out decently, maybe I can figure out how to post them either here or in the Jury Room.

You think we can't guard against terrorists? Every half mile was a big, white Sheriff's car parked on a sideroad facing the big road. White was not as noticeable; some cars were unmarked we found, as one cautioned my husband for speeding on the way back later.

My son paid his respects last night; he said it was upstairs in the LBJ library; not all that crowded.

A cool front came in!!!! It was as if God had planned it; I have never seen the area so beautiful and green from the rain. We rarely have a cool front in July; NATURE WANTED LADYBIRD TO HAVE THE BEST TODAY....

Mtex

Indeed, Ladybird had a lot of class--As she said, the first year, 1964, was golden but the next four years(Vietnam, Inner Cities Burning every summer) were hell--She was, after all, married to the Worst President in United States history(over 58,000 young soldiers killed in Vietnam), but she tried her best and she did a lot for Conservation--RIP Ladybird

Indeed, Ladybird had a lot of class--As she said, the first year, 1964, was golden but the next four years(Vietnam, Inner Cities Burning every summer) were hell--She was, after all, married to the Worst President in United States history(over 58,000 young soldiers killed in Vietnam), but she tried her best and she did a lot for Conservation--RIP Ladybird

I believe in most historical assessments he is NOT listed as the worst president......

Several others would beat him out for that dubious honor. He elected not to run again - being SENSITIVE TO PUBLIC OPINION.

Nixon had to resign; and a couple others were total do nothings, not smart or deadbeats.

Since Johnson was able to pass civil rights legistation and other programs; he is not usually considered a total loss.

I believe in most historical assessments he is NOT listed as the worst president......

Several others would beat him out for that dubious honor. He elected not to run again - being SENSITIVE TO PUBLIC OPINION.

Nixon had to resign; and a couple others were total do nothings, not smart or deadbeats.

Since Johnson was able to pass civil rights legistation and other programs; he is not usually considered a total loss.

I agree, Martha. After all, Johnson inherited Vietnam from Kennedy, and it was already a difficult situation. He was instrumental in passing Civil Rights legislation and nobody (with perhaps Sam Rayburn coming close!) could beat him for making deals and getting things done.

Ladybird was a true lady in every sense of the word, and I will be forever grateful to her for her wildflower and conservation programs that will be a lasting legacy.

I visited the Wildflower Center (which is now named after her) when we lived in Austin and it really educated me in using native plants for landscaping and water conservation.

I hope you can post the photos, I would love to see them!

I agree, Martha. After all, Johnson inherited Vietnam from Kennedy, and it was already a difficult situation. He was instrumental in passing Civil Rights legislation and nobody (with perhaps Sam Rayburn coming close!) could beat him for making deals and getting things done.

Ladybird was a true lady in every sense of the word, and I will be forever grateful to her for her wildflower and conservation programs that will be a lasting legacy.

I visited the Wildflower Center (which is now named after her) when we lived in Austin and it really educated me in using native plants for landscaping and water conservation. }quote

I have them uploaded on Photobucket; I'll post tomorrow.

I visited the Wildflower Center (which is now named after her) when we lived in Austin and it really educated me in using native plants for landscaping and water conservation.

I hope you can post the photos, I would love to see them!

President Kennedy had no intentions of Vietnam to become what it did and he is the reason the civil rights legislation was started to begin with. I do give President Johnson credit for seeing it through.

In my opinion Nixon and Johnson both are responsible for the horror of that war. They both lied to escalate it and keep it going. They put politics, money and power above the lives of our service people and all the innocents of Southeast Asia that fell victim to it. Same thing is happening now.

President Kennedy had no intentions of Vietnam to become what it did and he is the reason the civil rights legislation was started to begin with. I do give President Johnson credit for seeing it through.

In my opinion Nixon and Johnson both are responsible for the horror of that war. They both lied to escalate it and keep it going. They put politics, money and power above the lives of our service people and all the innocents of Southeast Asia that fell victim to it. Same thing is happening now.

But actually it was McNamara who advised Johnson and felt so strongly to continue it, wasn't it? Have you seen the Fog of War? Very good movie.

Kind of like Rumsfeld, perhaps Johnson listened too hard to his advisors and really didn't know what to do? Just as Bush listened to Rumsfeld too long?

People were very afraid of Communism spreading back then; just as we're afraid of Islamic terrorism now; and not sure what to do.

History repeats itself, doesn't it? But I'd like to think Kennedy would have been able to end it sooner; also his smartest advisor was Robert Kennedy. IMO

52270012.jpg

Sorry, I don't really know how to place these pic properly, but this is Johnson City, an example of some of the wreaths - and Stonewall where the peaches and in full ripening.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slafrance74
Back