Landfill Search

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They were showing a video of the volunteers going through the trash on our local news tonight here in Oregon. They were sifting through it piece by piece. Bless them for doing that! :heartluv:

Maybe he put things in the landfill because he wasn't positive he'd get away with the fire - and in case it didn't work, at least those incriminating things were under tons of layers of trash.

Maybe he put things in the landfill because he wasn't positive he'd get away with the fire - and in case it didn't work, at least those incriminating things were under tons of layers of trash.
That makes sense to me. I mean why go thru the trouble of doing that unless it was something he did not want found once he was gone and they went thru his unit?

I hope more is revealed soon about what they found. It really sets off my alarms that he would go there to dispose of items the day before he blows his children and house up. Why?? What could it be? It would have been burned up in the house anyways. Did these items come from the storage unit and straight to the recycling center? Why did he not want them found at the storage unit? He chose to leave other things behind there that were found. Why didn't he bring the items to his home to be burned in his planned fire, rather than to the recycling? Was he afraid of those items being found at his home in the event of a sudden search warrant before he was able to carry out his fire plan? My gut tells me there is going to be something of evidentiary value in what he dropped off. I hope so!

A testament? Is that a will? Or a confession ? Hoping there are clues but like others have said, it is very strange that if there was anything he wanted destroyed, why take it to the recycling facility?

Would he be just concerned enough about the holy word, to fear destroying that? I know that would be true in my family. That just seems so ironic, and possibly enough of a reason for his trip. Even still, I'm hoping there's a mark on that map that tells where to find Susan.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/testament

aarchaic: a covenant between God and the human race bcapitalized: either of two main divisions of the Bible

a: a tangible proof or tribute b: an expression of conviction : creed

a: an act by which a person determines the disposition of his or her property after death b: will

I'm not positive but I am thinking in religious terms a testament is kinda like a witness/belief statement. "I know there is a God because he did this in my life" kind of thing. Sounds like something from his Mormon days. It's main interest to me is that although he allegedly dumped the religion, to think he would have saved this.....

By now JP kinda has an idea of what LE is going to do in an investigation of a murder. I think he knew that LE would find out that had been to the storage facility. I haven't heard that he tried to hide his visit there. I'm kinda wondering if this might have been his final 'FY' to LE. He knew that after he did his murder/suicide thing LE would be tracing his last day and his preparations. So he goes to the storage facility and then to the recycling place. He dumped things that he thought would have no evidentiary value. Just because he anticipated that LE would eventually end up doing that search at the recycle place. To find nothing.

New Testament
Old Testament

Or he wrote his Own Testament... think Elizabeth Smart's abductors here...
I can absolutely see SP doing that!

This link says they found a "testament" with Josh's name on it. Isn't that just another name for the Book of Mormon?

Some churches give out a copy of the New Testament with a name stamped on it. Usually for children, though.

Sounds like this is something else. :waitasec:

FWIW . . . Mormon religion encourages members to "Bear their Testamony" to the other members of the Ward or Congregation. Monthly they have "Fast and Testamony" meeting on Sunday @ church where they fast 2 meals and members may chose to confess their belief in the: (Lord, the LDS church, Holy Spirit, etc) publically. Much like some funerals where people are encouraged to come up and tell a personal story, people in the crowd wait quietly to see if someone takes the podium. They may chose to say something (or not).

A "Testament" in the LDS religion is pronouncement of a belief. I believe both posts #32 & #33 above from Mysteryview and MsFacetious are true for Josh. I think he wrote his own "testament".

FWIW . . . Mormon religion encourages members to "Bear their Testamony" to the other members of the Ward or Congregation. Monthly they have "Fast and Testamony" meeting on Sunday @ church where they fast 2 meals and members may chose to confess their belief in the: (Lord, the LDS church, Holy Spirit, etc) publically. Much like some funerals where people are encouraged to come up and tell a personal story, people in the crowd wait quietly to see if someone takes the podium. They may chose to say something (or not).

A "Testament" in the LDS religion is pronouncement of a belief. I believe both posts #32 & #33 above from Mysteryview and MsFacetious are true for Josh. I think he wrote his own "testament".

Thanks for the clarification of what a testament is to LDS.

A testament? Is that a will? Or a confession ? Hoping there are clues but like others have said, it is very strange that if there was anything he wanted destroyed, why take it to the recycling facility?

The dictionary says its a will. But it also says it could be someone's statement about their beliefs.

Maybe it was his own testimony of what he wanted done with his remains, he had it written down and transfered it to his computer to be sent out with an email/emails. I don't think it was an actual Bible, verse or otherwise.

New Testament
Old Testament

Or he wrote his Own Testament... think Elizabeth Smart's abductors here...
I can absolutely see SP doing that!

Me, too! Maybe it will show how exceedingly demented JP really was -- hidden on the inside -- if he rambled on for pages about his beliefs.

Thanks for the information. I also believe it was a personal testament, the world according to Josh Powell, and his sense of self-importance wouldn't allow him to destroy it in the fire.

I'm afraid any real clues about Susan's murder and the location of her remains were burned in the fire, and the rest of it was thrown in the landfill just to make it harder for LE to sort through.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briankap
Back