Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.16.17 - Day 17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do too. But it does seem that SS and RB have had time to deal with their feelings. Be it fear or anger. Let's hope MM has had time to bring "herself" to the stand this time around. MOO

Not sure how you could feel sorry for that lying . Do you not remember her boasting that she was going to marry Smich despite the fact that she was fully aware of his involvement in the TB kidnapping? I've said it a thousand times and nobody has ever offered a reasonable explanation; Why did she beg Smich not to go on the TB truck mission??? By that point he was regularly going on missions, and theft was nothing new to him. The only possible explanation is that she knew that force was going to be used this time. She must have at least had thoughts that Millard may have been responsible for LBs disappearance by that time as well. Don't pity this girl, she's small and doe eyed, but she is a cruel, uncaring woman.

I was an avid big game hunter, and I can tell you that coyotes would clean up a deer carcass in very short order. It is also very hard to find a dead deer unless you have other signs, like Turkey Vultures and/or Ravens gathering. Without these type of signs you would have to almost trip over the remains, as they are hard to find.

perhaps so but as a dog walker walking through forests, I've come across dead deer bodies at least twice. Maybe they were cleaned up shortly after by wildlife.

IMO, Dr. Burns' anger is fuelled not so much by publicity or inconvenience to him or his family, but moreso from his more intimate knowledge of DM as an individual, his prior relationship with DM, and in knowing what the jury may not know ... that not only is his nephew currently on trial for Laura's murder, but has already been found guilty for the incinerator death of Tim Bosma and will face trial in the death of his own father.

IMO, Dr. Burns' thoughts are with the victims and their families, and he wants so badly to see his nephew brought to justice for each and every one of the victims that DM is accused of killing.

Could be wrong (it's happened before ;))

Compare the grace and restraint of Mr. Babcock on the stand. In that light it is even clearer to me how unusually self involved Burns has been over both trials. I really do think it’s striking.

If you have any interest in vet services, RB has exceptional reviews and is clearly very well liked, respected, trusted and even admired. I think that says something about the likelihood of the type of man he is and how counter to his morals and character, DM's behaviour was for a very long time.
JMO, of course.

I have to think of How Dr Burns would really feel about all of this. Imagine taking in your nephew at 15 years of age and trying to step in and be a positive role model. In fact he took him to his place of work and put him in touch with the neighbor because DM was interested in computers (or so he said). This all seems to be the things an invested, loving uncle would do for a sister and a boy that he loved. He honestly thought taking him in would make a difference. Now imagine having done all of that to then see that none of it made a difference and this young man was still on a path to self destruction. Then he gets hauled in by the police to solidify a "made up" story about going into business with his uncle. ( funny how that changes to this trial and his uncle only being a possible client of his he would offer the service to). What a horrible thing to have happen. He now knows his nephew was involved in the disappearance and killings of 2 people and then he is charged in the death of his BIL also. Can you imagine how sick you would feel as a relative who tried to put him on the right path. No wonder he is angry, not to even think about what may have happened between DM and his own children. I also think about the Good business name he made for himself in the community since 1989, wow, that would be awful to have your name associated with DM. I do feel for his family. I do see his disdain and I can't imagine how awful it must be to have those feelings inside toward someone, whom you probably celebrated their birth. I am also sure in my opinion he does not in any way shape or form want to be thought of as being sympathetic towards DM, as that would be a slap in the face to all of DM's victims and families.

Not sure how you could feel sorry for that lying . Do you not remember her boasting that she was going to marry Smich despite the fact that she was fully aware of his involvement in the TB kidnapping? I've said it a thousand times and nobody has ever offered a reasonable explanation; Why did she beg Smich not to go on the TB truck mission??? By that point he was regularly going on missions, and theft was nothing new to him. The only possible explanation is that she knew that force was going to be used this time. She must have at least had thoughts that Millard may have been responsible for LBs disappearance by that time as well. Don't pity this girl, she's small and doe eyed, but she is a cruel, uncaring woman.

Agreed. She may mature, but she has to live with the decisions that she made. And I would never pity her for that, or feel badly for her. We all make our beds.

I believe his tactic is to emphasize MS’ lack of involvement. He has no questions for any witness that had little to no involvement with MS, and no testimony about him.

It seems, to my unprofessional self, a more mature approach than to go up and ask “you never discussed this with my client?”, “you never spoke to my client?” etc., a la DM.

At this point Smich looks like he's got a decent shot at beating this charge. No doubt he helped with the burn but I have seen no evidence thus far that he had anything to do with the murder.

Unfortunately, cannot agree with a single word here - have agreed with many of your thoughts, observations in the past though.

Imo one has to see RB as a victim and drawn into this mess and being kept in it 5 years on - and not a single action on his part invited this mess for him. Let the guy move on - he deserves that as far as I can see. Jmo.

Sorry, but I refuse to view RB as a victim. It’s unfortunate that he’s been dragged into this, it’s unfortunate that he’s been affected by this, I don’t doubt that this has been difficult for him and his family also, I sympathize with that. But there are actual victims out there, bodies never recovered, their family sitting in the audience depending on his testimony to poke holes in his nephews defense, so they can see justice for their daughter. Those are the victims.

Possibly charged as a young offender and we can't know why?

The Uncle owned a vet clinic and there are drugs available at clinics that can be used for not so wholesome purposes. DM may have attempted theft of drugs from the clinic which would in itself be insufferable to RB but would also threaten his livelihood as controlled drugs are monitored closely. possible cause for falling out in 2002 when DM was 17 ... MOO

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 16s16 seconds ago
Crown Leitch asks if he ever talked to neighbour Subiens about going into pet cremation biz. Pillay objects. Jury, witness out again.

After jury came back:
Burns says he never discussed anything regarding a cremation business until he heard from Dubian that Millard had said they were going into that business. Burns says: "I was absolutely blown away," he said.
by Adam Carter 12:20 PM

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 40s40 seconds ago
Dell called clinic to get uncle's number. Burns was in France. Burns called him from France and no mention made of incineration.

This time the uncle could not remember being in France. Age?

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 40s40 seconds ago Toronto, Ontario
The topic of the use or purchase of an incinerator never came up, Millard's uncle tells the jury #Bosma #Millard

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 17s17 seconds ago Toronto, Ontario
Uncle says he saw Millard in July 2012. He said the topic of pet cremation never came up. #Millard #Bosma

Neither defence cross examines. Now on lunch. Back at 2 p.m.
by Adam Carter 12:42 PM

Had Dubiens testified in TB?

At this point Smich looks like he's got a decent shot at beating this charge. No doubt he helped with the burn but I have seen no evidence thus far that he had anything to do with the murder.

There is that pesky text about the incinerator needing something wet with bones, or something to that effect.

perhaps so but as a dog walker walking through forests, I've come across dead deer bodies at least twice. Maybe they were cleaned up shortly after by wildlife.

I came across the body of a dog once. It looked like it had recently died but the flies had gotten to it perhaps 24 hours beforehand. They were making quite the meal out of it. I had to yell at my best friend at the time not to step forward otherwise she would have planted her foot right in the middle of it. I saw it just in the nick of time.
A couple days later I took a walk on that same path and it was gone.

I have the same sneaking suspicion. However his defense as well as the judges charge to the jury are still to come...

Looks like Lisa Hepfner is gone for the rest of the day....we may not get much this afternoon in the way of detail......

Yes. We will never know the extent of his involvement, IMO, but it's looking like there is a lack of evidence to find him guilty in this case.

Sorry, but I refuse to view RB as a victim. It’s unfortunate that he’s been dragged into this, it’s unfortunate that he’s been affected by this, I don’t doubt that this has been difficult for him and his family also, I sympathize with that. But there are actual victims out there, bodies never recovered, their family sitting in the audience depending on his testimony to poke holes in his nephews defense, so they can see justice for their daughter. Those are the victims.

I'm not really seeing where RBs anger is coming from. I mean he'd severed ties with DM years ago. Sure he had to spend a few days in court, but he should be happy to do his civic duty. Feel sorry for everybody involved in something like this but calling him a victim is a stretch.

Then again, this girl was barely an adult when this was all going down. She was 16 or 17 it seems when she started dating MS. 18 when she moved in with him:

Posts from 2016
Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 14m14 minutes ago
Sachak asking if Marlena was 18 when she moved out of her parents' house. Smich says "I'm assuming that's correct." Feb. 26, Marlena's bday.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 14m14 minutes ago
Smich argues they dated less than two years. Says she didn't even know his last name.

I'm not really seeing where RBs anger is coming from. I mean he'd severed ties with DM years ago. Sure he had to spend a few days in court, but he should be happy to do his civic duty. Feel sorry for everybody involved in something like this but calling him a victim is a stretch.

In fairness to Dr Burns, he lost a family member too. Wayne Millard was his brother in law and to find out that his nephew has been charged in his murder must have been horrifying. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member