Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.16.17 - Day 17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if SS, did not take the trailer with the incinerator on it to the Propane tank guy to install...was It DM who drove it there for installation and filling?

If he is a psychopath, no amount of parenting could correct that IMO

True, but maybe he wouldn't have become a psychopath if he had a hug once in a while and maybe some companionship. It always struck me that the Millards didn't have a second child, at least to give DM some companionship. Must be hard to be an only child with parents that don't want a lot to do with you.

Hindsight is 20/20. He let Millard travel with his kids to Europe days after he killed someone. Just saying.

And who knows what behaviour RB observed on that trip to confirm he was a sick twisted prick?

I can understand perfectly where Dr. Burns' anger is coming from.

I followed the TB case closely, much more so than I am following this one (dropping in here occasionally), and read a great deal about RB and DM`s interactions. From those sources I inferred, and still think it likely, that RB`s rage is not personal nor based on something relatively trivial like a theft, or the inconvenience of being in the limelight. RB referred to DM as a `sick, twisted prick`and I would bet money that is because DM either tried to seduce (or worse actually succeded) one or another or RB`s daughters, who were around his age (older and younger) at the time DM spent much time with RB`s family. Something like that would activate the paternal rage-0-metre in no time and if he had cause to believe DM had harmed one of his daughters I can see very well why he would carry that rage even today.

We know almost nothing of DM`s upbringing, and assume he was a spoiled brat, but it is very likely that he was a deviant child from an early age, and his parents may have exerted considerable effort to get him appropriate help and to deal with his issues, to no avail. Thus I am reluctant to blame them, as some are born with biologically-based differences that predispose them to antisocial behaviour and worse. I also suspect FAS in DM`s case. None of which can be proven, but we know how totally manipulative, cruel and without conscience he can be now, and I can easily believe he was similar when he was embraced by RB`s family and he spread some of his toxic talents to his cousins - or tried to. We will likely never know, but I suspend judgement.

I feel sympathy for all the innocent people he has dragged into his poisonous web of evil and malevolence, including his relatives.

I'm sure there is more to glean this afternoon than what we are hearing....or rather what is being reported. MOO

I had a passing acquaintance with Carl Millard as a kid. My father was a pilot and his plane was hangared at Millard Air. I spent an awful lot of time there and saw Mr Millard quite often. He was always very nice to me and I feel terrible that, despite all of his achievements his name will now be forever associated with this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So if SS, did not take the trailer with the incinerator on it to the Propane tank guy to install...was It DM who drove it there for installation and filling?

Yes, Millard had the tank installed and presumably filled.

Shannon Martin‏
@ShannonMartinTV
2m2 minutes ago
More
The Crown was very brief.

Dellen Millard is now up for cross-examination.

#LauraBabcock

Shannon Martin‏
@ShannonMartinTV
36s36 seconds ago
More
Millard, "Do you remember me?"

Grant, "Vaguely."

Millard talks about the invoice - it's a manual slip, handwritten. He now shows the court a picture of bank cards spread out on a table. There are four Visa cards, a Costco membership, two RBC debit cards.

Shannon Martin‏
@ShannonMartinTV
36s36 seconds ago
More
Millard points out it's not his name on the slip. The customer is listed as "Millard Air."
Shannon Martin‏
@ShannonMartinTV
4s4 seconds ago
More
Millard asks the propane supply witness:

"Everything relating to this tank was done to code, followed all the regulations?"

Grant agrees it was.

I'm sure there is more to glean this afternoon than what we are hearing....or rather what is being reported. MOO

I hope so. An awful lot of testimony is on the incinerator, propane etc., that seems like overkill. No pun intended.

Just want to ask:

Does anyone here feel sympathy or sorry for the path DM has taken?
Or would you describe your feelings as anger, disgust and sickened?

Why should his uncle not feel like whooping him across the *ss? Two lives were taken out of careless regard. No pity for DM is needed imo.

I have no clue what DM's life was like however have empathy for anyone who grows up in an unhappy home. Also have empathy for a child who is such a misfit that they have no friends and eats dog biscuits at school to gain attention. I have empathy for a sociopath who falls through the cracks and is not diagnosed with their behavioural/mental illness.

I don't have empathy for the sociopath who murdered their own parent, who snagged a mentally ill young woman into his web and then murdered her and after not getting caught TWICE, painstakingly crafts a plan to steal a truck with the owner on board and murders a father, son and husband, you know the 'nice guy' not 'the *******'.

Just like all family members of the murdered victim are victims, so too can be said of the members of the murderers family. RB lost a brother in law, likely has no relationship with his sister and god only knows what other collateral damage has happened along the way. He and his family will always be known as DM's family. They will have been looked upon with suspicion "how did they not know? Could they have done more?' I can completely understand RB distancing himself from the DM taint. Especially since he was unwittingly pulled in through DM's lies about the pet cremation business.

If my nephew murdered his father (my BIL) and 2 other victims and then pulled me into the lie, I wouldn't likely be able to be " professional" on the stand and would want to ensure that they would get a fair trial but would not be out to murder again. This is how I would honour the victims. Ensure that the perpetrators paid for their crimes.

MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If he is a psychopath, no amount of parenting could correct that IMO

You might be interested in the work of Dr. Adrian Raine in this regard. While the brain organization of one born with the neurological signature of a psychopath doesn`t change, how the individual is raised can indeed determine how the psychopathy expresses itself. The person will still be likely very self-involved and have difficulty with empathy, but does not need to become a menace to society (in fact, most psychopaths are not criminals) and can learn to have near-normal interpersonal relationships.

Work is being done on early identification and intervention with very young children in hopes of preventing psychopathy as they grow older - the brain is very plastic in the early years, and the hope is that the right type of intervention can strengthen the other areas that determine compassion, internalization of rules of behaviour, etc..

Not sure how you could feel sorry for that lying . Do you not remember her boasting that she was going to marry Smich despite the fact that she was fully aware of his involvement in the TB kidnapping? I've said it a thousand times and nobody has ever offered a reasonable explanation; Why did she beg Smich not to go on the TB truck mission??? By that point he was regularly going on missions, and theft was nothing new to him. The only possible explanation is that she knew that force was going to be used this time. She must have at least had thoughts that Millard may have been responsible for LBs disappearance by that time as well. Don't pity this girl, she's small and doe eyed, but she is a cruel, uncaring woman.

Fwiw, wish the same strong language had been used for SS - seems to me he was in a position to know the same as, if not more than MM.

Imo SS chose not to remember what the Crown was asking, yet he remembered a whole lot of what DM questioned him on.

Everyone has a bias/agenda whatever the subject. Jmo.

Shannon Martin‏
@ShannonMartinTV
3s3 seconds ago
More
Millard is done. Mark Smich's lawyer, Thomas Dungey, has no questions.

#LauraBabcock

And who knows what behaviour RB observed on that trip to confirm he was a sick twisted prick?

He called him a sick twisted prick after he was arrested for three murders. He may not have liked him previously, but he did allow him to travel to Europe with his family, so his hatred was obviously not what it is today.

Fwiw, wish the same strong language had been used for SS - seems to me he was in a position to know the same as, if not more than MM.

Imo SS chose not to remember what the Crown was asking, yet he remembered a whole lot of what DM questioned him on.

Everyone has a bias/agenda whatever the subject. Jmo.

Yep, SS, MM, AM, CN were all cut from the same cloth and if they didn't suspect (know) something, they were either blind or stupid.

Not sure what is happening now in court, sorry....Nothing tweeted since the last witness was done.

He called him a sick twisted prick after he was arrested for three murders. He may not have liked him previously, but he did allow him to travel to Europe with his family, so his hatred was obviously not what it is today.

One of his sons was in medical school at the time so he was obviously well into adulthood and I'm not sure how old his daughter was but I'm not sure that he would have been in a position to stop DM from tagging along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member