Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.28.17 - Day 23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we expect a claim that his father approved the purchase of the incinerator because it could be used for his planned animal sanctuary when animals passed away?
That's a really good idea. Though why not mentioned in the TB trial I wonder?

She'd rather not confirm that she is still on the Millard payroll?

Maybe under new ownership arrangements and thus personal information that she might not feel she can disclose.

Should we expect a claim that his father approved the purchase of the incinerator because it could be used for his planned animal sanctuary when animals passed away?

Betcha $5.00... lol I'm not sure there are many straws left to grasp at this point..

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
26s26 seconds ago
More
The incinerator was purchased on the company books, Lisa Williams says. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
47s47 seconds ago
More
Williams recognizes the invoice from Tristar, she says. #Millard has it on the screen. "I am assuming the cremator is the eliminator? The incinerator? It's a downpayment." She has seen the document. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
50s50 seconds ago
More
Blue ink handwriting at the bottom of the invoice... Dellen Millard wrote garbage or utilities account. Her writing says MP #230 July 7/12? A note to relate to the Quickbooks file. She can't remember a garbage account. #LauraBabcock

Can't say I've ever come across "garbage" or "utilities" under capital assets. Wonder if the poop hit the fan when the FS were being drafted for provision to exernal stakeholders (ie RBC re loan). Normally a bank would want audited FS, or at minimum, a review engagement, and this would be prepared by an external accountant/accounting firm. Bet the assurance engagement wouldn't allow an expense write-off for the eliminator, and I'm fairly confident they'd have a challenge arguing it as a capital asset relevant to the business. And then there's the CRA assessment when the corporate income taxes were filed. Even as an asset subject to capital cost allowance deduction limits, DM's suggested uses for farm clean-up and roaming pet incineration are clearly and obviously not related to the operations of Millardair.

I wonder if the CRA has already come in to audit, following what's come to light under the criminal charges.

marianne boucher‏
@CityCourtsTO
2m2 minutes ago
More
Williams says that Millards dad, Wayne, wanted to open up a charitable animal sanctuary, for small animals, he had set aside $100K. Jury has heard that Wayne passed away in 2012.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
35s35 seconds ago
More
Jury is back to hear more from Lisa Williams. She admits she still works for Millard Air. What does she do? Very little. A paycheque for one employee, and a payment goes out every month. Company doesn't do anything. She doesn't want to say what she's paid. #LauraBabcock

The jury is back.

Lockhart, "Do you still work for Millard Air?"

Williams, "very little. I do a pay cheque for one employee. There is one payment that goes out every month. It is very minimal."

Lockhart, "What does the company still do?"

She says, "Very little."

Lockhart asks how much she makes from Millard Air.

Williams doesn't want to answer, but Code tells her she has to.

It's by the hours, it's not a salary, she says. She doesn't give a dollar amount.
by Shannon Martin 3:01 PM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
2m2 minutes ago
More
"It's by the hour, so if I do a couple hours it's a couple hours. It's not a salary," is all Williams will say about how much she's paid. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
45s45 seconds ago
More
Incinerator was purchase late spring, early summer 2012. What did Millard Air do at that time? It wasn't operational. They were preparing it to be operational, she says. It was to be an airplane repair & maintenance facility. She wasn't aware of anything else. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
1m1 minute ago
More
So there's a purchase for a cremator, for $15k plus shipping. As a bookkeeper, to your knowledge, did a cremator have anything to do with a maintenance repair operation? She just did the books, she says.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
14s14 seconds ago
More
"I didn't really pay attention to what was being purchased, only entering it into the proper category in quickbooks... I simply entered invoices." #LauraBabcock

marianne boucher‏
@CityCourtsTO
2m2 minutes ago
More
Williams says that Millards dad, Wayne, wanted to open up a charitable animal sanctuary, for small animals, he had set aside $100K. Jury has heard that Wayne passed away in 2012.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
35s35 seconds ago
More
Jury is back to hear more from Lisa Williams. She admits she still works for Millard Air. What does she do? Very little. A paycheque for one employee, and a payment goes out every month. Company doesn't do anything. She doesn't want to say what she's paid. #LauraBabcock

Woop.. witness = Garbage

Lockhart, "Do you still work for Millard Air?"

Williams, "very little. I do a pay cheque for one employee. There is one payment that goes out every month. It is very minimal."

RSBM. Do we think the "one employee" is herself, or do we think there's still someone on payroll? Rabbit?

Lockhart asks about the airport hangar.

He says "It was going to do airline maintenance - for planes, not for anything else?"

She says not that she was aware of.

Lockhart, "You saw a receipt for a cremator. Did it have anything to do with the maintenance and repair of aircrafts?"

Williams says she didn't question why it was being purchased. She says that wasn't part of her job. "I simply entered invoices."

Lockhart, "A $20,000 cremator?"

Williams again repeats it had nothing to do with her.

by Shannon Martin 3:04 PM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
24s24 seconds ago
More
You didn't know what it was for? Nor did I, I didn't think to even ask, Williams says. She saw Dellen Millard 2-3 times a week, she agrees. Why didn't she ask Millard why he needed a $20k incinerator. Your husband is Charles Dubien, right? Millard objects. Hearsay.

It could just mean a female deer but I can't say that with 100% certainty.

Since we're on a break I need a drink with jam and bread.
Haha I had to sing that in my head! Hope you enjoy your tea lol

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Lockhart, "You never said Dell, why do you need a $20,000 cremator?"

Williams, "No"

Lockhart, "How come?"

Williams, "Like I said, I just entered invoices."

Lockhart, "You're the bookkeeper for the business. You never discussed any plans to incinerate pets?"

Williams, "I heard it was mentioned." She says it was too long ago to know how she learned of it.
by Shannon Martin 3:06 PM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
14s14 seconds ago
More
Except that we have evidence from Millard's uncle who heard from Charles Dubien about the use of the incinerator, judge says. Allowed. Williams says it was too long ago to remember when she heard about the animal incineration plan. #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
19s19 seconds ago
More
MillardAir wasn't her company so it wasn't her place to question their purchases she says. Crown suggests she never saw anything in her duties that had anything to do with pet cremation. She agrees. #LauraBabcock

Lockhart presses on.

Lockhart says, "I'm going to suggest you never saw any business document that had anything to do with pet cremation?"

Williams agrees, "Not that I recall."

Lockhart finishes his cross-examination.
by Shannon Martin 3:08 PM

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
4m4 minutes ago
More
You're married to Dubien? Justice Code asks her. She says she heard from her husband that Millard wanted to start a pet cremation business. Her husband is the one who told Millard's vet uncle Robert Burns about the plan (Burns called it ridiculous) #LauraBabcock

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews
3m3 minutes ago
More
Lisa Williams is done. One more witness this afternoon, Code tells them. Break now. #LauraBabcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat