Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DM may not have lived with RB for an extended period of time but he likely stayed with the family "sporadically" as per Adam Carter's article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...wn-away-by-pet-cremation-suggestion-1.3485222

So was that separation after a second attempt by MB and WM to live as a married couple since according to MB's letter they divorced when DM was 11. The whole family dynamic is confusing. Maybe that's why DM got some stuff wrong when he was writing that letter for his mother to sign. ;)

MOO

To put to rest the rumour that Dellen ever lived with his uncle, here is what was said:

Did you know him as he grew up?

Sporadically, yes

He then goes on to say that after Wayne and Madeleine split up when Dellen was about three (something left out of his mother's letter) that "for altruistic reasons, being the uncle" he played a role in Dellen's life "from about three til about 15 to 17."

You can also see there is no mention of him living with his uncle in this column:

With a sneer in his voice, Burns — who is married with six children — told the court he has known Millard "sporadically" throughout his life. When his nephew was a child between the ages of three and 15, Burns tried to spend lots of time with him because his parents split up. (They later reunited, court heard.) From ages 15 to 17, he maintained contact with his nephew for "altruistic reasons."

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/ne...t-no-love-lost-between-millard-and-his-uncle/

It's interesting that MB left out the split from Wayne when Dellen was 3. They did reunite but not for long. And although the divorce didn't go through until he was 11, the parents separated a few years before then.

Funny that he didn’t get ‘Shaner’, his indentured servant labourer guy whose name escapes me, one of the many Matt’s (Hagerman, WJ, Odlum) or the real estate agent from Oakville to be character witnesses for him. Any of those people would surely be better than another convicted killer???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe none of them would sign their names to a DM written letter? Not convinced his cellmate wrote that letter either rather than just agreeing to sign off on something DM wrote. DM has way too many control issues to just let other people do these things for him. He controls everything, even his own trials. Which is probably why RP wasn't able to convince him that the "rabbit" letter was not helpful to his cause.

If DM wrote it, there was no way RP was going to convince him it wasn't a good character reference letter. The client has the final word on what makes it in and no doubt RP already learned who was in control from his time defending DM in the TB trial.

MOO

I am assuming that MBM did not attend court earlier this week and the letter was filed by RP?

Did MS have family in the court room?

Will the ‘curious’ letter be released publicly at some point as a document of evidence?

Any new books coming out? [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time MB attended this trial was when she was subpoenaed to attend the Rowbotham hearing about Millard's funds. Because of developments at the hearing, the Crown ended up not calling her as a witness. Then MIllard asked Sachak to call her. I got the impression he wanted to see his mother humiliated on the stand.

She had to reveal the state of her personal finances and claimed to have next to no money beyond her house. The judge grilled her on why she was taking money out of Millardair for herself given there was no business. She was also paying Robert Kozlowski, the accountant, a few grand a month, but he couldn't explain what exactly he was doing either.

MS's mother came to court in the early days but after she was filmed outside the courthouse she stopped coming. She often sat with his new GF, who continued to come for quite a while after. Neither were there Monday.

The curious letter will not be released as it was entered as a lettered exhibit which aren't available to the media. Jill Cameron said it was investigated and nothing came of it, which leads me to believe it was probably some harebrained accusation, and everyone was just doing their duty.

No new books. I'm just working on the epilogue for the paperback edition, which will cover the Babcock and Wayne Millard trials briefly.

And, thanks for asking.

I agree that MB's letter sounds like it was probably written by DM. She does anything he wants her to do. Her head is in the clouds where he is concerned.

How does whizzing down a ski hill at age 5 or flying someone to a course in Montreal show that he is worthy of being given a break on his sentence for serial killing?

I'm pretty sure DM is still furious at his uncle for speaking out against him in court, as the letter says WM despised MB's brother for a "transgression". There is no mention of what the transgression was, so how is it, in any way, relevant? In any event, DM's own "transgression" against his own father has to be far worse, don't you think?

Thanks to ABro for making the letter available.

WOW... Just WOW !! In reference to Mom's letter...OMG..it def sounds like it was written by DM and just signed by her.
I have no other words as you all have pretty much summed it up.
I am disappointed we may not get to read the "Curious" letter and I hope we eventually get to read Shawn's letter.
Bring on Feb 26th !!!

The only time MB attended this trial was when she was subpoenaed to attend the Rowbotham hearing about Millard's funds. Because of developments at the hearing, the Crown ended up not calling her as a witness. Then MIllard asked Sachak to call her. I got the impression he wanted to see his mother humiliated on the stand.

She had to reveal the state of her personal finances and claimed to have next to no money beyond her house. The judge grilled her on why she was taking money out of Millardair for herself given there was no business. She was also paying Robert Kozlowski, the accountant, a few grand a month, but he couldn't explain what exactly he was doing either.

MS's mother came to court in the early days but after she was filmed outside the courthouse she stopped coming. She often sat with his new GF, who continued to come for quite a while after. Neither were there Monday.

The curious letter will not be released as it was entered as a lettered exhibit which aren't available to the media. Jill Cameron said it was investigated and nothing came of it, which leads me to believe it was probably some harebrained accusation, and everyone was just doing their duty.

No new books. I'm just working on the epilogue for the paperback edition, which will cover the Babcock and Wayne Millard trials briefly.

And, thanks for asking.
What kind of accusation could it be, and about whom? Peculiar. Thanks for the info, Ann.

Wow! What incredible insight into DM and MB and their relationship. I think MB and DM worked on this strange composition together, a “joint” effort if you will, just as I believe they did for WM’s obituary (and perhaps EG too). Regardless of who specifically created the letter, MB signed it, so now she must own it completely, IMO.

To speak of herself in the third person is weird but also informative and highlights to me MB’s ability to distance herself from the reality of DM and of her herself and others and their lives. There is a striking sense of detachment in this letter as if no true feelings are behind the words. The message is coldly contrived and empty of meaning.

When MB states that she is the only person who knows the real DM and “I need to speak his truth as I see it”, I knew it was only going to get worse.

When MB shamelessly wrote how DM protected the “marginalized, weaker and lacking in some way” it smacked me in the face as I thought of how often and how cruelly LB was referred to in these terms.

When MB rhymed off the following attributes of DM, I swear she had him confused with DM’s victim, TB! “Dellen is a reflection of the values he has been raised with; Compassion, loyalty, generosity, and hard work.” Yes, MB, I actually agree with you – DM is most definitely a reflection of the values he was raised with!

MB said that DM didn’t experience “the joy of the tribal community” I wondered if this mention was intended to give credence to his purported Indigenous roots. She went on about how DM was an only child as if that fact deserves somehow to be pitied but then goes on to talk extensively about his close ties with cousins. Many digs to the family in this letter and it’s intentional and obvious, IMO, and it’s as if they did not even bother to consider their audience and the reason for this letter in the first place. I cannot imagine what Justice Code will make of it all, but I cannot imagine anyone reading its contents and being swayed to sympathy or empathy for DM or MB.

The mention of the setup of DM by his high school peers about removing chemicals from the classroom is also telling of a mother and son who lack all insight into themselves. Why even mention this incident unless the Court has school documents from DM’s past that tell a different version of this story? And the mention of “neighbourhood kids who wouldn’t share their toys” – MB would want the reader to believe that DM is always the victim in all circumstances large and small.

For self described deep, intelligent people, this letter is the height of stupidity, IMO.

MB states that she was hoping DM would go to France when he was twenty years old. I believe that MB did wish him to be far away where she could have minimal contact, content to live out the fantasy of the son that lived only in her imagination. MB is IMO beholden to DM because she is financially dependent on him, IMO, (DM as kind, loving and generous) so she cannot reveal deeper truths about DM because she would be cut off and because she likely cannot see it herself, or if she can, she could not handle the guilt of knowing and never having intervened or at the very least, helped him after the fact by standing up to the truth and denouncing his crimes. Denial is a much more comfortable place to reside for both DM and MB. MB is, in my opinion, a great example of the ultimate enabler.

The mentions in the letter of kindness to insects is so disturbing. That MB prays that DM will stay the same “wonderful soul I know, and he is not marred by the tragic events that have lead him to the inexplicable abandonment he surely feels” is bizarre!

Here’s a suggestion for what MB might be better to write if she has another opportunity at a sentencing hearing in the future:

“Your honour, I love my son with my whole heart. His actions took me by complete surprise as the man I see now is not the son I thought I and his father had raised. That son was kind and loving. The man I now know is proved to be guilty of murder by his own actions, and is cruel, calculating, and cunning. He is a killer of innocent people and he shows no remorse for taking two lives. He accepts no responsibility for his crimes and the resulting heartbreak experienced by the victims’ families and friends, or by his own.

Upon deep, honest and painful reflection, I now see signs that my son needed help in his youth that I and his father did not then see and nor did we intervene to get him the help that could have possibly prevented the tragic trajectory of his life. For all my days I will live with sorrow, regret and self-condemnation. I am his mother and I will love my son forever without fail, but I want you to know that I will do everything in my power to see that he gets the therapeutic support in prison to help him come to terms with himself, his past and his future. I don’t know if there is any therapy that will be able to help my son, but I must hope that somehow, he can be rehabilitated. I believe that change is possible for my son, but I acknowledge that it will be a very long road to realize such change.

My heart is with the victims, their families, their friends and their communities. Their sorrow is endless.

I beg you to show mercy to my son. I will likely die long before he is released from prison. Please trust that I while I am living, I will do everything possible to help him become the kind of man he had the potential to become.”

ALL MOO.
The fact she wrote not one word to acknowledge the victims is disgusting. IT looks like she refuses to acknowledge that her son is capable of great evil. Like the judge said DM is an enigma. If he had the qualities she is claiming he did , he was two people, and the dark side was evil and dangerous and why he needs to be kept locked up.

Still completely unclear about DM's childhood. Did he live with mom until 15-17? or until he was 20?

Still completely unclear about DM's childhood. Did he live with mom until 15-17? or until he was 20?
Quite confusing. According to Ann, whose information I hold in high regard, he never lived with his uncle ongoing. So he must have been living with one of his parents, or both when they would get back together. So I guess what the uncle meant was that he was a presence in his life at these times? Separation at 3, 11, 15-17, etc?

The fact she wrote not one word to acknowledge the victims is disgusting. IT looks like she refuses to acknowledge that her son is capable of great evil. Like the judge said DM is an enigma. If he had the qualities she is claiming he did , he was two people, and the dark side was evil and dangerous and why he needs to be kept locked up.

The problem is less that she doesn't acknowledge the victims and more that she manages to actually anti-acknowledge them by casting her son in the victim role in that money spot at the end of the letter. So unbelievably inappropriate.

I gather that DM was living with WM after the divorce, just because DM started at TFS when he was 12 according to MB's letter, and it was WM that used to drive him to school there in a beat-up pickup...and it seems DM just continued to live with him until his arrest at age 27?

You're unclear because no one has ever been able and/or willing to provide all the details.

What we know is the original parental split happened around age 3-4. The parents reunited and then split up again when Dellen was about 9 but the actual divorce didn't go through until he was 11.

We also know there were periods when the parents had joint custody and periods when Dellen lived only with Wayne. We don't know if he ever lived only with his mother.

Everyone's comments on the letter are interesting.

Have to admit, it never even occurred to me that he wrote it.

I found it pitiful and senseless and pathetic.

I had a slight feeling of sympathy for his mother, because she is clearly dense in a (medicated?) world of delusion.

How depressing that her happiest moment was the birth of her devil child.

She signed it, and regardless of who wrote it, she did not express any compassion for the victim's families.

Shame on her.

WG

Everyone's comments on the letter are interesting.

Have to admit, it never even occurred to me that he wrote it.

I found it pitiful and senseless and pathetic.

I had a slight feeling of sympathy for his mother, because she is clearly dense in a (medicated?) world of delusion.

How depressing that her happiest moment was the birth of her devil child.

She signed it, and regardless of who wrote it, she did not express any compassion for the victim's families.

Shame on her.

WG
That is the priceless devil child. Here is a theory. The mother knew about DM murdering Laura and then hatched a plan to get him to murder the father so she could end with the money. If she believed that DM would probably get caught at some time because he was on a murder spree then she would end up with the money. She was a flight attendant not wealthy but married a wealthy man. When they divorced she had a business but it probably was not doing well and she was used to the wealth and did not want it to end. She may have even conspired with DM to kill the father. I read that she was being paid $5000 a month from the company and yet she was not employed there and the bookkeeper said one person is still paid and I bet that is MB.

That is the priceless devil child. Here is a theory. The mother knew about DM murdering Laura and then hatched a plan to get him to murder the father so she could end with the money. If she believed that DM would probably get caught at some time because he was on a murder spree then she would end up with the money. She was a flight attendant not wealthy but married a wealthy man. When they divorced she had a business but it probably was not doing well and she was used to the wealth and did not want it to end. She may have even conspired with DM to kill the father. I read that she was being paid $5000 a month from the company and yet she was not employed there and the bookkeeper said one person is still paid and I bet that is MB.

I think it's unfair to speculate about possible knowledge or involvement for DM's first two murders as there is zero evidence but, with respect to Tim Bosma, I don't know how she escaped being charged like Noudga for wiping down the trailer, or for actively getting the letters from the jail to Noudga. (Of course, she did everyone except DM a favour by the latter activity.) I see her as someone who is deluded about her one and only child, and deeply in denial.

I wish RB, her brother, would tell the world his side of the story but I can see why the poor man would want to put all this behind him, to the extent that he can.

I think it's unfair to speculate about possible knowledge or involvement for DM's first two murders as there is zero evidence but, with respect to Tim Bosma, I don't know how she escaped being charged like Noudga for wiping down the trailer, or for actively getting the letters from the jail to Noudga. (Of course, she did everyone except DM a favour by the latter activity.) I see her as someone who is deluded about her one and only child, and deeply in denial.

I wish RB, her brother, would tell the world his side of the story but I can see why the poor man would want to put all this behind him, to the extent that he can.
I agree, it's a bit outlandish to assume she had any prior knowledge or involvement. In terms of wiping down the trailer, it was probably small potatoes with zero evidence, other than CN's word. They got CN on text messages, DNA, moving the incinerator, etc.

But those letters, however beneficial it was in the end, was a complete violation of what the court ordered. If it wasn't for CN's failure to destroy them, they would have gotten away with it. LE should have taken the opportunity to penalize everyone involved. It still makes me angry.

That, and the fact that charging the mom could have caused the whole investigation/trial to go sour. We have only seen their defense without her being charged. Who knows how the dynamics of the this whole tragic story would have changed had MB been charged?

Just look at how Cameron played her cards with respect to keeping CN off the stand.

PS. Speculating about her direct involvement without any evidence is a dangerous precedent in our society and digital times. We are in the midst of an already heated era of "Public Opinion" social media world. We also need to distinguish between theory and opinion, and how they are framed. Many of us repeat things we hear from others that we believe are sincere without checking the facts. I did it, with respect to DM living with RB.

MOO

I agree, it's a bit outlandish to assume she had any prior knowledge or involvement. In terms of wiping down the trailer, it was probably small potatoes with zero evidence, other than CN's word. They got CN on text messages, DNA, moving the incinerator, etc.

But those letters, however beneficial it was in the end, was a complete violation of what the court ordered. If it wasn't for CN's failure to destroy them, they would have gotten away with it. LE should have taken the opportunity to penalize everyone involved. It still makes me angry.

It’s an interesting question - were the letters and phone communication even a violation of anything for MB and CN? It’s DM who was ordered not to communicate with CN at the time, not the other way around, and I’m not sure the law had any purview over anybody but him. Presumably Sachak as an officer of the court would have been another matter.

It’s an interesting question - were the letters and phone communication even a violation of anything for MB and CN? It’s DM who was ordered not to communicate with CN at the time, not the other way around, and I’m not sure the law had any purview over anybody but him. Presumably Sachak as an officer of the court would have been another matter.
It would go both ways. In any sense, they supported, aided, etc, in DM communicating with CN. It was the covert operation of all of them.

It would go both ways. In any sense, they supported, aided, etc, in DM communicating with CN. It was the covert operation of all of them.

Yeah, I’m just not clear - other than Paradkhar - how anybody else involved could be held in legal violation of anything. Christina herself was not before the court at the time and had not herself been ordered to not communicate with Millard. The onus seems to me to be completely on Millard to follow the order HE was given. What would the law be enforcing against her (or MB) when she herself had not been given any kind of an order?

Obviously there was an ethical obligation for her and MB, but I just don’t see how there could have been a legal one for anyone but Millard at the time?

Could there be a more overt example though of how MB’s indulgence of DM only harms him? I don’t think so.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Altruistic_Ruin06
Back