Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Pretty quiet in the world of the usual tweeters this morning, looks like Shannon isn't there and nothing from Lisa Hepfner thus far.

Shannon Martin‏ @ShannonMartinTV

Follow my colleagues @trevorjdunn and @liamdevlincasey who are on verdict watch at the Laura Babcock murder trial today. #LauraBabcock

Pretty quiet in the world of the usual tweeters this morning, looks like Shannon isn't there and nothing from Lisa Hepfner thus far.

Shannon Martin‏ @ShannonMartinTV

Follow my colleagues @trevorjdunn and @liamdevlincasey who are on verdict watch at the Laura Babcock murder trial today. #LauraBabcock

That implies that Shannon has the weekend off? Likely would get alerted if a verdict comes... Saturday would be a quick trip to the courthouse.

This is the 5th day of waiting for the jury to reach a verdict. I wonder what legal people are thinking. I am really worried that there will be a hung jury.
At least for one of them, that will mean a retrial, either that or one will be found not guilty.

When will Matthew Ward Jackson (Ish) be sentenced? irc, it was mentioned some when in December.

I creeped his IG account this morning.

He is obviously big time in his own mind.

One thing that stood out to me -- that may or may not mean a single damn thing -- is that he has a post where he's topless and pictured from the navel up, flipping the bird in front of a red regal, but the caption reads ****** A HATER, TB
Date posted? October 11, 2013 ...

TB could be street slang for ... ???
It would be a stretch to link it to anything Bosma ... but the timing + acronym was alarming.

This is just an observation.
No inferences drawn.

Is the Jury up and having breakfast now?? Is it unheard of for a jury to reach verdict on a weekend?? I have 2 Christmas parties and a Birthday party today/tonight and I am old school in believing that whilst at parties, my phone is off and I try to instill that in my kids to not have their faces in their phones while at social functions(they are adults,but hey, I'm still their mom LOL) HOWEVER, I am afraid that I will not be taking my own advise and will be checking my phone often for notifications.:shame:
I have a feeling and may not be true that the verdict will not happen on the weekend. I have also not good feeling that there will be a hung jury. One or more of them are not in agreement and so cannot reach a verdict. It is just a fear I have that it will be a hung jury.

Does anyone remember DM's online dating photo where he used his middle name Evan? If so, do you have link or the name of the dating service?

thanks.

I seem to have a bad record predicting jury decisions, so if I say they are hung on the MS evidence, they should come in this weekend with two M1's!

Wow... I didn't expect the "Teacher" conversation to gain attention and it was not intended...I am a long time Civil Servant and I guess I have the expectation of similar people having the ethics I live by... All Human Beings know right from wrong. I guess this is what I was boiling it down to...Lawyers and Teachers are highly educated... The grey area between right and wrong shouldn't be too wide a stretch for them... As a youngster , my experience was mixed at best. Many teachers dismissed or ignored my needs. Some worked hard to understand. I revere the ones who tried to help!

DM has a warped perspective that he is smart enough to find loopholes/excuses/errors etc, and exploit them... How do you feel about a lawyer that feels the same? How do you feel about it he wants $ for it? Deep down, we all know what is right and wrong!

It's a defence lawyer's job to do everything that they can, as long as it is both legal and ethical to create that often elusive 'reasonable doubt' for their client. This includes exploiting errors and 'loopholes' in the Crown's case. I do object to the term loophole though because it implies that the issue is simply a minor technicality which defence lawyers exploit to get their guilty clients off.

In my view, any 'loopholes' that may have existed in the past have all been closed long ago. What people now view as loopholes are in fact protections which are put into place by our Courts, our politicians and our Charter in order to protect all of our rights and freedoms and to guarantee everyone gets a fair trial. A defence lawyer would be negligent if they did not ensure that every available protection be provided for their client.

Does anyone remember DM's online dating photo where he used his middle name Evan? If so, do you have link or the name of the dating service?

thanks.

I believe it was passion.com, as shown in one of The Mob Reporter videos.

I have a feeling and may not be true that the verdict will not happen on the weekend. I have also not good feeling that there will be a hung jury. One or more of them are not in agreement and so cannot reach a verdict. It is just a fear I have that it will be a hung jury.

I don't think there will be a hung jury. I think they are simply and very carefully going over all the evidence to make the best decision. Patience is needed at this point.

Liam Casey‏Verified account @liamdevlincasey 2m2 minutes ago

All’s quiet outside the courtroom of the #LauraBabcock trial.

I’m on the road today, driving out of town for a family commitment. I just KNOW the verdict will come in while I’m tied up. But in the name of justice for the Babcock’s, I hope that it does. The sooner the better for all LB’s loved ones. Patience everyone! The jury is just taking their duty very seriously, as they should.

Sorry, I meant to agree with you. You are right on why she is trying to hide. I would never blame one family member for the ills of another family member, but her actions during the Bosma search speak volumes. While she has a right to privacy, I do think she is guilty of more than we know.
I think there is a good reason she had to hire a lawyer for herself.

You may well be correct but hung juries are actually fairly rare in Canada. The Judge won't let them leave until it is absolutely clear that a verdict cannot be reached. The pressure that must be put on to the holdouts in that jury room cannot be underestimated.

That being said, with respect to MS I do believe that this is a close one, so it certainly could happen here but the Judge will typically send them back two or three times should they come back and say they are unable to reach verdict.

I caught a bit of Lisa Hepner's CHCH report either Wed or Thurs and I could swear I heard her say that one of the things discussed
in the absence of the jury related to a letter that CN penned to DM ... we did hear that LE found some copies (or drafts) of CN letters to DM when they did their search. Anyhow what I think I heard Lisa Hepner say was that one of those CN "letters" started with something along the lines of "to my dear serial killer" or maybe it was serial murderer. I can't find a CHCH news clip of this on line - did anyone else hear this? I am sorry if it's been discussed - I've been away for a few days and jumped to today's thread rather than work through the massive discussion over the past couple of days.

I caught a bit of Lisa Hepner's CHCH report either Wed or Thurs and I could swear I heard her say that one of the things discussed
in the absence of the jury related to a letter that CN penned to DM ... we did hear that LE found some copies (or drafts) of CN letters to DM when they did their search. Anyhow what I think I heard Lisa Hepner say was that one of those CN "letters" started with something along the lines of "to my dear serial killer" or maybe it was serial murderer. I can't find a CHCH news clip of this on line - did anyone else hear this? I am sorry if it's been discussed - I've been away for a few days and jumped to today's thread rather than work through the massive discussion over the past couple of days.

Yes this was discussed but the jury didn't get to hear this.

Thanks, Swedie. I need to watch that video.

The small claims case was a former tenant at Riverside, who claims Millard unfairly evicted her and stole her things.

The court ruled it did not have jurisdiction and that the tenant should have gone to the Landlord Tenant Board, but by then it was too late, filing deadlines had long past.

Burns then tried to get lawyers' costs but the court did not grant them. I believe the tenant was ordered to reimburse the defendants $100.

Hmmmmmm....could that incinerator have been some kind of tenant management tool?

The words I read, were "to my sweet serial killer". I didn't watch the news, but I saw it in the media - don't have a link (maybe Lisa Hepfner Hamilton Spec?). That, IMO, more than anything, shows where her mind is at, and why she wasn't called by the Crown as a witness.

eta: here it is in a link to Abro's site http://www.annrbrocklehurst.com/2017/12/my-sweet-serial-killer-wrote-dellen-millards-girlfriend.html

I don't think there will be a hung jury. I think they are simply and very carefully going over all the evidence to make the best decision. Patience is needed at this point.

I agree. There were several references during the trial that suggested "voluminous" exhibits being given to the jury. There is a lot of information to peruse during their deliberations.
Just the computer, phone, Ipad forensics alone were significant. Since the police and crown went to all that work to create the evidence exhibits, as a jury, they would have to review it all.
I am pinning my hopes that the length / duration of deliberations is due to the amount of material to be reviewed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back