Lawmakers approve $20 million for Jaycee

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And he just recently dismissed charges against a murderer named Jimmy Hughes who killed a friend of mine's father in Riverside County - a complete miscarriage of justice. That case is ripe with dirty dealings and corruption. Any chance of me voting for Jerry went out the window July 1st.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/02/local/la-me-octopus-murders-20100702

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I hope his relatives keep up their quest for justice. Maybe someday Brown will be outta' there and they can get someone who ?????.................nevermind.....maybe there will be someone else who sees the merits of the case.

I wouldn't vote for Brown if he was the only one running.

JMHO
fran

Let's get it back on track. See attached - the settlement writeup that formed the basis of the agreement.

It appears that agents talked to Jaycee and her oldest daughter some time ago at Garrido's house - but did no follow up. Interesting points of law in here which people should be aware of as well, I'll leave it to you all as an exercise.

I knew it 20M is not enough it is a strategic move to avoid having to pay much much more.
I wish JC could have had many more donations and could tell them where to shove this check.
I would love to see her get more and put the police department on fire.

Yes I have seen parents of dead children get money because of big mistakes, and it does not bring their child back

What's interesting to me is how settlement awards are calculated. The report pertaining to Jaycee's settlement that was recently released briefly discussed other claims that had been paid out. Several settlements were for people who had lost a family member due to mistakes made, but the average settlement amount was in the neighborhood of $2 million. There was one family who received something like $15 million for the loss of their loved one, so I can't help but be curious about why one family would receive $2 million and another would receive $15 million.

There 3 people involved her, that need to be educated and therapy, I do not think that anyone who says it is too much is educated and has a clue what it will cost for them to heal on many levels.

The report estimated that it would cost about $500K to educate all three, which is reasonable; however, it also said that a lifetime of therapy and assisted living could cost close to $7 million, which seems a bit much. I know of people who have debilitating mental illnesses -- people who need intensive care and people who will be unable to work for the rest of their lives -- but the cost of their care will come nowhere near that amount (even multiplied by three).

ALSO live without a job for the unforeseeable future, probably for ever.

Why do you think they'll never be able to work? Unfortunately, it's a possibility, but from what we've heard, Jaycee and the girls seem to be doing exceptionally well given their circumstances. I think there is a pretty decent possibility that they'll be able to go to school and work sometime in the future.

YES let him go back to the big screen, he is no politician at all

LOL! You've never been one to mince words, that's for sure. :)

This was not a parole reform, it was a way to save money today, and save jobs tomorrow by creating a revolving door at the expense of innocent people.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. My original point was that parole reform, which may be needed to prevent something like this from happening again, may be costly. If $20 million is paid out each time a parole officer screws up, where will they get the money to make the necessary changes? Unfortunately, there isn't an infinite amount of money at CA's disposal.

I still think the Police work sucked. As for any of the dead people or parent who lost loved ones, IF THEY CAN SHOW that the police work sucked they too can stand in line for a check. In the JC case it is apparent that the police and PO dropped the ball not once, not twice but too many times.
MOO

That's the thing. If there is something wrong with the parole system, it needs to be fixed. Doing so will cost money. If you spend that money paying huge settlements to victims of parole officer screw ups, you're going to have less money to make the reforms needed to help prevent screw ups from happening again, which in turn could cause more money in claims to be paid out.

It is not too much money at all. IMHO it is hardly enough another 80M MORE may be the figure I would have gone after. 100M is not enough either. And dont forget it may cost 20M in legal fees alone. the strong kind of attorney they need charges by the second. 20M be gone in no time.

IMO, $80 million would be way too much, especially since it would be funded by the taxpayers. Remember, even the mediator in this case said that the settlement was not for reparations, and remember that that'd be $80 million that could have been used to help find other missing kids.

Some people argue that $20 million is nothing for what she went through, and I agree, but their implication is that she should have been paid more, and that's where I disagree. I wouldn't have traded places with her for $20 billion, but that doesn't mean that she should be paid that amount. The truth is, you can't put a price on human suffering, nor should you try to do so. Any attempt to give it a monetary value will be incredibly arbitrary. That being said, I think innocent taxpayers should only be required to pay for a victim's basic expenses.

Not only that, but it can be argued that too much money (or too much of anything, materialistically speaking) can do more harm than good. Money cannot buy self-worth; you get that from hard work and self-sufficiency. And when you have a lot of money, vultures will surely descend. The extremely wealthy always live in fear that people are only interested in them for their money. Frankly, I wouldn't want that for Jaycee and her daughters.

It appears that agents talked to Jaycee and her oldest daughter some time ago at Garrido's house - but did no follow up. Interesting points of law in here which people should be aware of as well, I'll leave it to you all as an exercise.

They definitely seem to have screwed up, no doubt about that. I wonder if it's standard procedure to ask adults like Jaycee for identification. It would make sense if it was, and if it's not, it certainly should be.

I think it would have been interesting had this gone to trial. It's hard to say what the outcome would have been due to the immunity issues detailed in the report. Either way, I don't think the outcome would have been good. Taxpayers could have had to pay $100 million or more for mistakes they didn't make, or Jaycee and her family could have been given nothing at all. IMO, both outcomes would have been unfair. Heck, even if Jaycee and her family won, it'd probably have been years before she saw any of it due to appeals, etc. I think settling was the right idea; I just the amount is a bit too much, especially if her lawyers take the standard 30%.

IMO, $80 million would be way too much, especially since it would be funded by the taxpayers. Remember, even the mediator in this case said that the settlement was not for reparations, and remember that that'd be $80 million that could have been used to help find other missing kids.

Some people argue that $20 million is nothing for what she went through, and I agree, but their implication is that she should have been paid more, and that's where I disagree. I wouldn't have traded places with her for $20 billion, but that doesn't mean that she should be paid that amount. The truth is, you can't put a price on human suffering, nor should you try to do so. Any attempt to give it a monetary value will be incredibly arbitrary. That being said, I think innocent taxpayers should only be required to pay for a victim's basic expenses.

Not only that, but it can be argued that too much money (or too much of anything, materialistically speaking) can do more harm than good. Money cannot buy self-worth; you get that from hard work and self-sufficiency. And when you have a lot of money, vultures will surely descend. The extremely wealthy always live in fear that people are only interested in them for their money. Frankly, I wouldn't want that for Jaycee and her daughters.
I surly respect your opinion, and love where you are coming from. That is what makes you one of my favorite. You are a great lady.
Having said that, I can also say that money is misused in politics all day long. they pay politicians to have mansion type offices like Pilosi for example. They give them the type of benefits that are fit for a king and I never understood that especially since IMHO they are mostly con artists at best.
I figure if the city needs money they should rethink their budgets from the head on down. There is an enormous amount of money being squandered all the time.

JC and her family have huge expenses and it is expensive to be guarded from the parasites too. Education for 3 is very expensive too. and lets be real they need therapy for life.
By the way I did not yet mention legal fees. 20M is not going to take them the distance...They are all very young.
THE STATE KNOWES that if and when they sue it will cost FAR MORE. so they are giving them a "GO AWAY" settlement.
I am very clear that 20 will not last, once attorney begin this crazy fiasco. And lets face it who will hire them? to do what?

I LOVE BB :blowkiss:

What's interesting to me is how settlement awards are calculated. The report pertaining to Jaycee's settlement that was recently released briefly discussed other claims that had been paid out. Several settlements were for people who had lost a family member due to mistakes made, but the average settlement amount was in the neighborhood of $2 million. There was one family who received something like $15 million for the loss of their loved one, so I can't help but be curious about why one family would receive $2 million and another would receive $15 million.
I have no idea how they calculate, I am always glad when a victim gets a big chunk of money - at least in some ways they have something to afford them a more peaceful life. Money does buy peace of mind. and no it never replaces the loss.

The report estimated that it would cost about $500K to educate all three, which is reasonable; however, it also said that a lifetime of therapy and assisted living could cost close to $7 million, which seems a bit much. I know of people who have debilitating mental illnesses -- people who need intensive care and people who will be unable to work for the rest of their lives -- but the cost of their care will come nowhere near that amount (even multiplied by three).
Based on this, they got just enough to make it. But again I am always sceptical when the calculation is made by those who may think it is too much.

Why do you think they'll never be able to work? Unfortunately, it's a possibility, but from what we've heard, Jaycee and the girls seem to be doing exceptionally well given their circumstances. I think there is a pretty decent possibility that they'll be able to go to school and work sometime in the future.
Who is going to hire them? they come with paparazzi, who wants that in their place of business? what can they do? how much can that earn? They need much therapy, when would they have time to study and get therapy? and by the way this case will not be over for several years.

LOL! You've never been one to mince words, that's for sure. :)
I am too old to change that. :) lol

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. My original point was that parole reform, which may be needed to prevent something like this from happening again, may be costly. If $20 million is paid out each time a parole officer screws up, where will they get the money to make the necessary changes? Unfortunately, there isn't an infinite amount of money at CA's disposal.
IF it continues to cost them, they will have to change their methods, maybe they would actually have new ethic code that spells "CARE" "DO THE JOB" etc....

That's the thing. If there is something wrong with the parole system, it needs to be fixed. Doing so will cost money. If you spend that money paying huge settlements to victims of parole officer screw ups, you're going to have less money to make the reforms needed to help prevent screw ups from happening again, which in turn could cause more money in claims to be paid out.

IMHO they all spend money in all the wrong places, it may force them to rethink many things. For example the mayor in NYC has arrange rent stabilized apartments for everyone that he knows, and has a few himself. WHY he is still the Mayor I have no idea. They all steal so much it is sickening. I rather see someone like JC have the rest of her life and her children's lives count for something, and I hope we always hear that the rest of her life is good.
Incidentally _ how do presidents become multi millionaires when they come from humble beginnings themselves.?

IMHO they all spend money in all the wrong places, it may force them to rethink many things. For example the mayor in NYC has arrange rent stabilized apartments for everyone that he knows, and has a few himself. WHY he is still the Mayor I have no idea. They all steal so much it is sickening. I rather see someone like JC have the rest of her life and her children's lives count for something, and I hope we always hear that the rest of her life is good.
Incidentally _ how do presidents become multi millionaires when they come from humble beginnings themselves.?

at risk of sounding political...

they get rich off of the backs of the people that elect them :)

per linas in the news section....

the terminator signed the settlement into law finally.

and parole will not investigate jaycee's claims about the 3 officers alledgedly seeing her at garridos over the years.

looks like they are still in cover up mode

and parole will not investigate jaycee's claims about the 3 officers alledgedly seeing her at garridos over the years.

that is because if they start to investigate anything, it will be like a lose thread it a sweater, that unravels, and unravels and soon there is no LE because they all need to go to Hotel Stay a While :behindbar:.

This is exactly the problem - They dont care. While the opposition say thats way too much money, although she would have gotten more if it went to trial, the leaders dont care to fix the problem- money or not. i understand that probation offices have many cases and may even be "overworked" but thats exactly what they basically took a "pledge" for. The probabtion officer was terribly negligent to even not properly figure out who the girls were that they were talking to. You dont take the word of a criminal in pg. Also, i heard on t.v that he was registered as a low S.O that was unlikely to repeat. Thats a huge mistake in itself. There problems are being exposed and nothing is actively being done about it.

This is exactly the problem - They dont care. While the opposition say thats way too much money, although she would have gotten more if it went to trial, the leaders dont care to fix the problem- money or not. i understand that probation offices have many cases and may even be "overworked" but thats exactly what they basically took a "pledge" for. The probabtion officer was terribly negligent to even not properly figure out who the girls were that they were talking to. You dont take the word of a criminal in pg. Also, i heard on t.v that he was registered as a low S.O that was unlikely to repeat. Thats a huge mistake in itself. There problems are being exposed and nothing is actively being done about it.

welcome to ws baldwin :)

at one point they also bumped him up to 'not being around children' and then rescinded it. i believe that was in 2008, far after the horse left the barn.

This is exactly the problem - They dont care. While the opposition say thats way too much money, although she would have gotten more if it went to trial, the leaders dont care to fix the problem- money or not. i understand that probation offices have many cases and may even be "overworked" but thats exactly what they basically took a "pledge" for. The probabtion officer was terribly negligent to even not properly figure out who the girls were that they were talking to. You dont take the word of a criminal in pg. Also, i heard on t.v that he was registered as a low S.O that was unlikely to repeat. Thats a huge mistake in itself. There problems are being exposed and nothing is actively being done about it.[/QUOTE]

BBM
There in lies the problem in this country. They want a revolving door of criminals. They are not interested in fixing the problem. they much rather buy someone off, or shut someone up then clean up.
It will be more exposed if JC was to SUE SUE SUE. Unfortunately they know she needs the money so they are using that need to plug up their holes.
It is not a mistake it is intentional.

Carl Probyn was on Geraldo's show tonight. He talked a little about the award of the money and how great it is for Jaycee et al.
He talked a little about how shortly after Jaycee was found, investigators started questioning Carl about if he knew Garrido or ever had any dealings with him. He felt like they were sort of covering their own behinds.
He also spoke briefly about how there had been a minor falling out with Teri back in October and that he was supposed to see Jaycee at that time, and that it still hasn't happened. He sounded fine with it, feeling that it would happen eventually, and that he is just fine. He had only words of good to say about Teri and everything. His daughter has gone back to school and is attending college.
When asked if he could say where approximately Jaycee and others are staying, he said only that they are in California.
That about wrapped it up.

intresting how he's still patiently waiting while slayton is filing lawsuits

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela