Lawyers texting in court?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't the deputies be watching her? Is an inmate allowed to text or use a computer while in court?
The guards from the Pinellas County Courthouse took their jobs seriously and did not allow her any leeway. While the Orange County guards have stepped up their game, there is still room for improvement.

I read in todays trial thread that ICA was texting as well. Supposedly would take the phone and hold it in the binder to not be seen.

I've been trying to find a link to todays coverage with time stamps to see if I can find it but no luck so far.

If ICA is texting, that is just wrong!!

Texting in court? What the heck, it's Jose Baez. At least he hadn't written any messages on his fingernails.

jmo

I read in todays trial thread that ICA was texting as well. Supposedly would take the phone and hold it in the binder to not be seen.

I've been trying to find a link to todays coverage with time stamps to see if I can find it but no luck so far.

If ICA is texting, that is just wrong!!

For what it is worth, I have had to text my assistant, witnesses, etc many times during a trial to coordinate matters. The only difference today though is that Baez did it at a podium, which I have never done.

And before you go blasting Baez for even doing it at the defense table, the reality is the state is constantly emailing their office with the computer in front of them to coordinate the same types of things.

Doesn't the DT have a computer and email?

For what it is worth, I have had to text my assistant, witnesses, etc many times during a trial to coordinate matters. The only difference today though is that Baez did it at a podium, which I have never done.

And before you go blasting Baez for even doing it at the defense table, the reality is the state is constantly emailing their office with the computer in front of them to coordinate the same types of things.

This is one of those cases where you are wrong in so many ways I don't even know where to start. It is disrespectful to the court. Because everybody does it doesn't make it right. The folks here are just like the jury,you know the people you are trying to convince to not put your client to death? I might be prudent to listen to them. JB has to do it really? They have an attorney dedicated to patting poor ICA on the back she can't take over the critical texting duty for 5 minutes while JB is in front of the HHJP or at the DT... Hey, keep digging ,doing an awesome job, I wouldn't change a thing.:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Doesn't the DT have a computer and email?

I counted at least 4 laptops at the defense table. Baez should bring an Ipad (not the Jpad!) to the podium with him. He could pretend he is reading from it, when he is really retrieving emails helping him with his direct/cross. Not that I'm trying to help him or anything...:crazy:

hee..hee! Needed that! Still chuckling...

This is one of those cases where you are wrong in so many ways I don't even know where to start. It is disrespectful to the court. Because everybody does it doesn't make it right. The folks here are just like the jury,you know the people you are trying to convince to not put your client to death? I might be prudent to listen to them. JB has to do it really? They have an attorney dedicated to patting poor ICA on the back she can't take over the critical texting duty for 5 minutes while JB is in front of the HHJP or at the DT... Hey, keep digging ,doing an awesome job, I wouldn't change a thing.:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

But he did say Baez did it at the podium which HE has NEVER done. So I think he agrees that it's disrespectful at the podium. As for at the table, you're right she has other lawyers but how is it better or worse if they do it than JB? All attorneys should be subject to the same standards of courtroom decorum, no?

Who doesn't need a little humor after today's fiasco?

TOP TEN JB COURTROOM TEXTS:

10: @icaseyomarie Yes, Juror 10 does have nice eyes, but I'm in the middle of questioning this witness, can we do this later?
9: @PocketSquares.com Thanks for reminding me. I actually mailed that check yesterday. I swear.
8: @OrangeCoLibrary Sorry to bother you again. Can I also have the definition for "specious" ? Thanks.
7: @Zynga.com I just got up to do a cross examination, and when I sat back down at my computer, all my Texas HoldEm chips were gone. Can you look into this for me?
6: @GeraldoRivera: Cool, bro. See you there. Hey, I've been meaning to ask you, what kind of gel do you use?
5: @DogPsychics.com I don't care if he doesn't like the car, my butt is on the line here and I'm running out of options, so you'd better make sure Scruffy is available for deposition tomorrow.
4: @ABCBachelorette: I know! Shocker! I can't believe she sent West home and kept Ryan! Whatever!
3: @Cheney Mason: Yeah, him. Third row, blue shirt, nerdy looking. Ask him if he's a chemist. Where's a freaking chemist when you need one?
2: @icaseyomarie For the tenth time, no, I will NOT ask if Juror 10 is free in 2031. And get out of my chair.
1: @JeffAshton I know you are, but what am I. Hahahahaha!

B r i l l i a n t

This deserved more than the "thanks" button.

Thank you very much - I needed this laugh today.

I would assume they're texting is trial related. (Are they allowed to do that?) I thought maybe assistants are sending them updates about information they asked them to look up based on witness testimony. Or could they be receiving real time feedback on how they're doing?

I am thinking that either Andea Lyons or LKB are texting what questions to ask..

Who doesn't need a little humor after today's fiasco?

TOP TEN JB COURTROOM TEXTS:

10: @icaseyomarie Yes, Juror 10 does have nice eyes, but I'm in the middle of questioning this witness, can we do this later?
9: @PocketSquares.com Thanks for reminding me. I actually mailed that check yesterday. I swear.
8: @OrangeCoLibrary Sorry to bother you again. Can I also have the definition for "specious" ? Thanks.
7: @Zynga.com I just got up to do a cross examination, and when I sat back down at my computer, all my Texas HoldEm chips were gone. Can you look into this for me?
6: @GeraldoRivera: Cool, bro. See you there. Hey, I've been meaning to ask you, what kind of gel do you use?
5: @DogPsychics.com I don't care if he doesn't like the car, my butt is on the line here and I'm running out of options, so you'd better make sure Scruffy is available for deposition tomorrow.
4: @ABCBachelorette: I know! Shocker! I can't believe she sent West home and kept Ryan! Whatever!
3: @Cheney Mason: Yeah, him. Third row, blue shirt, nerdy looking. Ask him if he's a chemist. Where's a freaking chemist when you need one?
2: @icaseyomarie For the tenth time, no, I will NOT ask if Juror 10 is free in 2031. And get out of my chair.
1: @JeffAshton I know you are, but what am I. Hahahahaha!

Brilliant! :floorlaugh:

The only difference today though is that Baez did it at a podium, which I have never done.

"Where" is the defining factor, in my opinion. The podium is a place of respect. While one is there, one is either the face of the State or the face of the Rights of the Defendant. Mr. Baez stood before His Honor, discussing the rules and judgments of that Court and others. To be texting at that very moment was highly disrespectful of HHJP, Mr. Ashton, the Defendant and the State. He was non-verbally communicating to each party that they were second place in his priorities.

I found it disgraceful, and I was surprised that HHJP allowed it to pass by without comment. I realize His Honor felt the need to chastise JA, but I believe a word or two should have been sent spinning JB's way as well for the behavior that predicated JA's comments.

On a slightly personal note, I should like to mention a phrase told to me many years ago: "Never make someone a priority when they only consider you an option." Mr. Baez treated HHJP and others as options with his display. He probably shouldn't expect them to make things easy on him now.

um, whatever happened to researching & preparing in advance?

calendars can be printed out & kept in the briefcase
case law can be looked up in the office
questions can be actually thought about & written prior to court

yeah, just like in the old days ...

no one should be allowed phones in the courtroom period - they should all have to leave them in their car - the world won't fall off its axis if no cell phones are allowed in court

I am thinking that either Andea Lyons or LKB are texting what questions to ask..

Then why are his questions so lame and ineffective?!
If he is texting more qualified lawyers for what to ask and today's display is the result, I'm afraid to even wonder what his own questions would sound like!
;)

I think today's incident is more of a commentary about Jose's refusal to share trial duties with Cheney Mason and Dot Simms than it is about cell phone usage in court. IIRC, Simms was hired to handle the science duties and has only questioned one witness thus far. Mason handled only a few more than she did. There would be no need for Baez to ask for a moment to confer with his colleagues or get caught texting during questioning if he would let his more experienced counterparts handle more of the witnesses. From what I have gleaned, Baez and his defendant live by the same creed - all eyes on me...

Do you or any other attorneys that you know of do so when the judge in your case is delivering his/her ruling on a motion that you presented? Yesterday when Judge Perry was delivering his ruling on the aquital Jose was busy on his phone in his lap while Casey peaked over his shoulder to see the text. I found it very rude. When the judge is speaking you should be paying attention (IMO) and not doing something that could possibly tick off the judge in your case.

Yes this happened today. JA actually commented on it and JP said he doesn't care if JB is standing on his head he just wants to get the facts out (rough paraphrasing). I don't think the jury was present. I'm convinced LKB is texting JB in court and giving advice. I just don't think it should be allowed either way.

I personally do not believe it is ethically ok to text while questioning a witness but I believe the judge is giving JB a lot of latitude because this is a Death Penalty case and ICA is more or less without any real representation. THAT IS going to come up on appeal and may even win her a new trial down the road I fear. Nobody in their right mind could call what JB is doing every day "adequate counsel."

As for LKB, wouldn't surprise me at all if that is the texting partner giving advice to the "lawyer" who is clearly in over his head. Perry Mason he's sure not.

I personally do not believe it is ethically ok to text while questioning a witness but I believe the judge is giving JB a lot of latitude because this is a Death Penalty case and ICA is more or less without any real representation. THAT IS going to come up on appeal and may even win her a new trial down the road I fear. Nobody in their right mind could call what JB is doing every day "adequate counsel."

As for LKB, wouldn't surprise me at all if that is the texting partner giving advice to the "lawyer" who is clearly in over his head. Perry Mason he's sure not.

KC has five lawyers, not just one. Jose is not even supposed to be first chair because he is not death penalty qualified. That is why Mason was brought in. Before Mason it was Lyon that was brought in. I do not see how an appeal will be won simply because one of the lawyers has a large enough ego that he refuses to allow the other four lawyers from the defense team do the work that they each specialize in.

Well, apparently, Judge Perry isn't too concerned about it, probably knows what's going on, so maybe Mr. Ashton should be more concerned with his own professionalism rather than criticizing the opposing counsel. JMO, but to be chastized several times in two straight days by a very fair judge doesn't win him any points, as far as I'm concerned. He needs to curb his temper a bit, and also show some respect. He's had far more experience in the courtroom than Baez has, you'd think he would know better.

I agree.
And how do we know if Mr. Baez was texting? The mere fact that the prosecution said he was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member