Lebanon - At least nine killed and close to 3,000 injured after pager explotions, 17 september 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to disagree. I think this is about as targeted as it can get. Nothing is 100%. But this was directed to the targets in a reasonable way.

As for others now using the same method... perhaps. They could have before as well. We have seen terrorist organizations push the envelope on new methods of attack before. This time, the tables were turned. I am guessing we will now see new tech and methods developed to ensure communication device safety moving forward.
I'm not choosing sides--I don't really care what happens in a region where they've been killing one another for centuries, but I frown on this type of attack being categorized as legitimate warfare, and we have yet to know how many non-combatants were injured.

Just as I would frown on LE policies of shooting up houses where known gang members live here in the US.

Already we're seeing airlines ban pagers and walkie-talkies from their flights. That kind of resulting effect is the definition of terrorism--creating fear and behavioral changes in larger sections of societies based on these types of attacks.

I think this will have much wider repurcussions than just in the Middle East were the attack(s) occurred.

I would have to disagree. I think this is about as targeted as it can get. Nothing is 100%. But this was directed to the targets in a reasonable way.

As for others now using the same method... perhaps. They could have before as well. We have seen terrorist organizations push the envelope on new methods of attack before. This time, the tables were turned. I am guessing we will now see new tech and methods developed to ensure communication device safety moving forward.

Exactly. These were specific batches of pagers that Hezbollah ordered for internal communication.

I'm not choosing sides--I don't really care what happens in a region where they've been killing one another for centuries, but I frown on this type of attack being categorized as legitimate warfare, and we have yet to know how many non-combatants were injured.

Just as I would frown on LE policies of shooting up houses where known gang members live here in the US.

Already we're seeing airlines ban pagers and walkie-talkies from their flights. That kind of resulting effect is the definition of terrorism--creating fear and behavioral changes in larger sections of societies based on these types of attacks.

I think this will have much wider repurcussions than just in the Middle East were the attack(s) occurred.
I worry about the wider repercussions. The genie is out of the bottle. It is
Pretty scary to think how this technology can be used in many ways. In
Many countries, including the United States.

Exactly. These were specific batches of pagers that Hezbollah ordered for internal communication.
Hezbollah are valid targets because they are combatants.

But the manner in which they were targeted was highly indiscriminate. The BBC is reporting surgeons saying the bulk of the wounded they're treating look "mostly civilian."

Hezbollah are valid targets because they are combatants.

But the manner in which they were targeted was highly indiscriminate. The BBC is reporting surgeons saying the bulk of the wounded they're treating look "mostly civilian."
What does a terrorist look like? Can't they wear civilian clothing? JMO.

I'm really struggling with people justifying the bombing murder of children as acceptable collateral.

Bombing is such a horrendous crime because of the great potential for casualties who have no connection to the target.

And that seems to have happened. And whoever authorised and carried out this plan would have known that the chance of it killing civilians with no connection to their targets was incredibly high. They decided dead kids was okay and did it anyway.

MOO

I'm really struggling with people justifying the bombing murder of children as acceptable collateral.

Bombing is such a horrendous crime because of the great potential for casualties who have no connection to the target.

And that seems to have happened. And whoever authorised and carried out this plan would have known that the chance of it killing civilians with no connection to their targets was incredibly high. They decided dead kids was okay and did it anyway.

MOO
Hezbollah launches rockets that kill innocent civilians. If they didn't do that then Israel wouldn't have a reason to retaliate.

Hezbollah launches rockets that kill innocent civilians. If they didn't do that then Israel wouldn't have a reason to retaliate.

Yeah, 'they do it too' isn't a great moral standpoint, IMO.

I agree that Hezbollah killing innocent children and other civilians is not acceptable. JMO.
I think anyone who decides that there is an acceptable number of children to murder is fundamentally different to myself. I don't care who they are or where they're from or what justification they give.

The acceptable number of children to murder is zero. And I don't think that should be a controversial position.

MOO

I think anyone who decides that there is an acceptable number of children to murder is fundamentally different to myself. I don't care who they are or where they're from or what justification they give.

The acceptable number of children to murder is zero. And I don't think that should be a controversial position.

MOO
It's a shame that Hezbollah doesn't agree with you. JMO.

Pagers were given to Hezbollah operatives. Mossad knew this and targeted them. Hezbollah fires hundreds of rockets into Israel every month that land in civilian areas. At least Mossad tried to target Hezbollah agents. It would be hard to find a way that better limited collateral damage than this operation. Hezbollah doesn't even try to limit civilian casualties.

My first thought was, Brilliant

... or if the pager would be lying on a bedside table next to a toddler's crib. We know at least 12 people have died from the first round of explosions, including children and healthcare workers, and nearly 3,000 were injured, some losing eyes or limbs.
Bbm.
Snipped for focus.

War is never pretty and is sometimes unfair, especially to the most innocent, the youngest -- whose parents or caregivers placed them in harm's way by their choices -- they had to know working for Hezbollah was dangerous, not only to them but their families.

It's possible none of those pagers were placed in a babies' crib.

Re. the first bolded : The numbers called to set in motion the detonation of the pagers and walkie-talkies, were specifically selected Hezbollah members, or their supporters and enablers.
My question would be, what were healthcare workers doing in the employ of, or affiliated with, terrorists ?

If a child's parents are involved in terrorism, the injury or death of said child is solely on that parent's choices, and not those defending their people and nation.
The death of a child is never acceptable, but in some cases the parents put them in danger and that is unacceptable.
Those adults who choose to live by the sword might die by it; is a truism.

Second bolded : There was one amongst their victims who lost a hand -- who was still clinging to life before it was cruelly snuffed out.
And some video released of Hezbollah's actions have resulted in eye loss of the victims.

If an organization (Hezbollah, Hamas, & other known terrorists ) does this to people, their victims aren't to blame for defending themselves.

This is a life and death struggle, not only for the nation of Israel but the very lives of it's citizens.
And not only citizens, others of Jewish background have also been targeted worldwide.

Omo.

Yeah, 'they do it too' isn't a great moral standpoint, IMO.

Except Israel targeted Hezbollah-carrying pagers and walkie-talkies only, NOT innocent little kids.
There is a significant difference.
The missiles sent by Lebanon (Iran's proxy ?) target civilian areas.
It's possible the Hezbollah were detonated at a time when many of the terrorist pagers carriers were about to receive an important, vital communique from their higher ups, lord and master, supreme leader, etc.
Omo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member