Legal Questions for our VERIFIED Lawyers #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could Casey cause a mistrial by standing up, for instance, and shouting out something along the lines of "my lawyer assaulted me" or something along those lines? I know a simple outburst alone may not be grounds for a mistrial, but if it contained something like that, would the judge be forced to call a mistrial?

Just wondering as I can't see her just sitting there accepting her fate without some kind of action on her part...

Upon watching the jail videos of ICA and LA, she mentions that CA has power of attorney for her. Does she still have it and if she does, does CA have to act on her behalf where ICA's council is concerned? Meaning that each time that ICA makes a decision on her case through JB that CA has to be the one to approve of it or can ICA still act in her own behalf? Then if CA has to act in ICA's behalf concerning all legal dealings, then wouldn't CA have before hand knownledge of each and every item that will be presenting from the DT? That CA would then be privy to everything the DT is presenting and discussed in behalf of ICA. If she is testifying for the SA but has all info from DT could she be playing both sides of the fence? If so, is this legal?

Could Casey cause a mistrial by standing up, for instance, and shouting out something along the lines of "my lawyer assaulted me" or something along those lines? I know a simple outburst alone may not be grounds for a mistrial, but if it contained something like that, would the judge be forced to call a mistrial?

Just wondering as I can't see her just sitting there accepting her fate without some kind of action on her part...
The state or prosecution can ask for a mistrial, the judge listens to the arguments then grants or denies the mistrial. In the vast majority of cases, the defense is seeking the mistrial. The prosecution doesn't want to retry cases is possible. Examples of reasons for mistrial:
1. Jury unable to reach a verdict
2. Prosecution or defense misconduct
3. Juror misconduct
4. Violation of court orders.

ICA shouting "my lawyer assaulted me" would definitely be grounds for a mistrial.

Upon watching the jail videos of ICA and LA, she mentions that CA has power of attorney for her. Does she still have it and if she does, does CA have to act on her behalf where ICA's council is concerned? Meaning that each time that ICA makes a decision on her case through JB that CA has to be the one to approve of it or can ICA still act in her own behalf? Then if CA has to act in ICA's behalf concerning all legal dealings, then wouldn't CA have before hand knownledge of each and every item that will be presenting from the DT? That CA would then be privy to everything the DT is presenting and discussed in behalf of ICA. If she is testifying for the SA but has all info from DT could she be playing both sides of the fence? If so, is this legal?
I have no idea if CA ever had power of attorney. JB can't discuss with CA anything regarding what he and ICA talk about (attorney/client privilege). CA would not be privy to JB's defense strategy, witnesses, trial prep, etc.

At what point, if ever, does a judge realize that the defense counsel is ineffective? And if he does, is he obliged to do something about it?

beach bumming are you one of the verified lawyers here?
yes she is - you can always check here:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133085"]Professional Posters & Verified Locals/Insiders - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I have no idea if CA ever had power of attorney. JB can't discuss with CA anything regarding what he and ICA talk about (attorney/client privilege). CA would not be privy to JB's defense strategy, witnesses, trial prep, etc.

Except the psych eval info which was turned over to the State in Discovery, and apparently the State shared it with the Anthony's attorney Lippman [for investigative purposes]. Most likely the same thing was done with George's hospital/medical records which the Defense obtained and turned over to the State as Discovery.
Lippman has stated publicly that the Anthonys knew the Defense latest strategy to say that George abused the Inmate, but did not know the extra details that Baez added in opening statements.

Then the question is: "If" she did have power of attorney would she then be privy of knownledge of the case. Wouldn't the person who has power of attorney for another be the one that had the power to act in their behalf?

At what point, if ever, does a judge realize that the defense counsel is ineffective? And if he does, is he obliged to do something about it?
No. Ineffective assistance of counsel is a claim filed by a defendant after he/she has been convicted.

(excerpt)
I believe River said that George told her he THOUGHT it was an accident. Sounds like hearsay to me--and irrelevant hearsay at that.

My question is -- can the Defense call a STATE witness, during the Defense case, if the STATE did not call their own witness during the case in chief?

The State has River/Krystal Holloway and her sister Skye, and the person at River's security gate where she lives on the STATE witness list [they are NOT on the Defense witness list]. However, if the State chooses not to call these witnesses to testify at trial... and the Defense cannot do a "cross exam" ... can the Defense still call these STATE witnesses when the Defense puts on their own case?

I believe the Defense will want to question River on the stand, to show that George had SECRETS, and to embarrass him with the alleged affair information, and to imply that the Inmate was protecting her father's secrets (from Cindy), and that the Inmate learned to keep secrets from her father. Baez said as much in his opening statements.

State witnesses:
Cecelia Benhaida - (Skye) - twin sister of River Cruz - involved with George - added May 24, 2010

Krystal Holloway (River Cruz) - involved with George - added May 24, 2010

Jody Lee - verify that George frequent visitor of River Cruz/Krystal Holloway - added May 24, 2010

No. Ineffective assistance of counsel is a claim filed by a defendant after he/she has been convicted.

Thanks, I know the defendant can and often does file this claim, but the judge is under no obligation to stop a trial if, for instance, it is painfully obvious that no rational or even capable defense is being given? I am guessing not...

beachbumming Thank you. Sorry that I asked it again, you had already answered me.

Then the question is: "If" she did have power of attorney would she then be privy of knownledge of the case. Wouldn't the person who has power of attorney for another be the one that had the power to act in their behalf?

No, whatever kind of power of attorney Casey gave to Cindy would not allow Cindy to control her defense in any way.

My question is -- can the Defense call a STATE witness, during the Defense case, if the STATE did not call their own witness during the case in chief?

The State has River/Krystal Holloway and her sister Skye, and the person at River's security gate where she lives on the STATE witness list [they are NOT on the Defense witness list]. However, if the State chooses not to call these witnesses to testify at trial... and the Defense cannot do a "cross exam" ... can the Defense still call these STATE witnesses when the Defense puts on their own case?

I believe the Defense will want to question River on the stand, to show that George had SECRETS, and to embarrass him with the alleged affair information, and to imply that the Inmate was protecting her father's secrets (from Cindy), and that the Inmate learned to keep secrets from her father. Baez said as much in his opening statements.

State witnesses:
Cecelia Benhaida - (Skye) - twin sister of River Cruz - involved with George - added May 24, 2010

Krystal Holloway (River Cruz) - involved with George - added May 24, 2010

Jody Lee - verify that George frequent visitor of River Cruz/Krystal Holloway - added May 24, 2010

BBM

Yes, the defense should be allowed to call witness on the State's list even if the State did not call them.

Thanks, I know the defendant can and often does file this claim, but the judge is under no obligation to stop a trial if, for instance, it is painfully obvious that no rational or even capable defense is being given? I am guessing not...

The judge could declare a mistrial if, for example, a defense attorney showed up drunk and started saying really damaging things about his client in front of the jury. That's just one example. But this kind of thing, where most attorneys just think the defense strategy is a bad plan and the lead defense attorney is a bit of a bumbler in the courtroom, is not the kind of thing that the judge could stop.

Preface: I need to preface this question with two assumptions:
(a) That Baez has been doing a lot of interviews and/or appearances for various TV shows recently (I have heard about this but not watched them).
(b) That Baez has been paid for these interviews (or at least some of them.​

Question: Can ICA make claim against her attorneys for the appearance fees, etc that Baez et al have been paid for these interviews (e.g. for breach of fiduciary duty as an accounting of profits or constructive trust)?

Whilst, I understand that attorneys in high profile cases (such as the OJ case) often release books and do TV appearances for money after a trial, I have not heard of this occurring during a trial, whilst an attorney is engaged.

Theory: I am going to give my theory, the one caveat, however, is that I have not yet looked at the position under Floridian law and am just speaking as a matter of general and broad legal principles of common-law jurisdictions:

a.) ICA's attorneys owe her a fiduciary duty.

b.) Generally, speaking a person is not allowed to profit as a result of their holding a fiduciary position (save of course, the fees that their principal/client/beneficiary ("the Principal") agrees to pay). Further, they are to avoid a conflict of interest. Where a fiduciary breaches either of these rules, they are accountable to their Principal for any such profits they gained in breach of their fiduciary duty.

c.) The usual remedy is either a constructive trust or an account of profits.​

(More questions to come in a bit but I think I am going to do a bit of digging on this myself).

Preface: I need to preface this question with two assumptions:
(a) That Baez has been doing a lot of interviews and/or appearances for various TV shows recently (I have heard about this but not watched them).
(b) That Baez has been paid for these interviews (or at least some of them.​

Question: Can ICA make claim against her attorneys for the appearance fees, etc that Baez et al have been paid for these interviews (e.g. for breach of fiduciary duty as an accounting of profits or constructive trust)?

Whilst, I understand that attorneys in high profile cases (such as the OJ case) often release books and do TV appearances for money after a trial, I have not heard of this occurring during a trial, whilst an attorney is engaged.

Theory: I am going to give my theory, the one caveat, however, is that I have not yet looked at the position under Floridian law and am just speaking as a matter of general and broad legal principles of common-law jurisdictions:

a.) ICA's attorneys owe her a fiduciary duty.

b.) Generally, speaking a person is not allowed to profit as a result of their holding a fiduciary position (save of course, the fees that their principal/client/beneficiary ("the Principal") agrees to pay). Further, they are to avoid a conflict of interest. Where a fiduciary breaches either of these rules, they are accountable to their Principal for any such profits they gained in breach of their fiduciary duty.

c.) The usual remedy is either a constructive trust or an account of profits.​

(More questions to come in a bit but I think I am going to do a bit of digging on this myself).

I don't think Baez has been paid for his interviews.

Will the SA be able to call more witnesses to the stand after they finish presenting their case and the defense starts? They are going soft on the A's as if they are state's witnesses, if they turn defense witnesses (LA and CA) against GA can the SA then call witnesses later or will they have missed that chance?

(I am not familiar how the trial process goes, I hope these questions even make sense)

Will the SA be able to call more witnesses to the stand after they finish presenting their case and the defense starts? They are going soft on the A's as if they are state's witnesses, if they turn defense witnesses (LA and CA) against GA can the SA then call witnesses later or will they have missed that chance?

(I am not familiar how the trial process goes, I hope these questions even make sense)

The State can call witnesses after the defense rests to rebut the defense case. And, of course, the State can cross-examine defense witnesses during the defense case.

Who gives their closing statement last? State or Defense? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewpcg77