Legal Questions for our VERIFIED Lawyers #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for being a PITA, probably asked and answered a bazillion times and since I'm being lazy for not going back to find the answer.....IF KC's found not guilty of First Degree....and guilty of all the rest. I've been looking online for mandatory sentences....found Agg Child Abuse is 15 yr max....Agg Mansl of Child is 60 yr max....the False Info didn't really say much about sentences.
Please correct my figures for Fla, if you will...but....

1) Any guess about the sentences being served consecutively?? (IMO, seems EVERYONE is beyond PO'd with this all, and she just might get her sentence that way.)

2) Anything sticking out so far as to the possibility of her getting the max or min sentence for each of the rest of charges??

3) Is her check fraud conviction gonna REALLY affect the sentencing...or just a drop in the ocean??

4) Finally....would there be any guesses of an average time she'll spend in prison - with the above "IF" not guilty of First Degree....and possibility of parole??

Sorry, again....Please don't beat me!! LOL

I hope this hasn't been asked and answered.

AFTER the State's case, in FL, is it mandatory or optional that the Defense ask for a motion to dismiss?

These lawyers are amazing and we are so grateful for all they do here. :blowkiss:

It is busy on this thread and I anticipate it will only pick up speed. Let's all be mindful and think before we submit a question - "Is this something I need an attorney to answer or can anyone else help me out on another thread?" If it is something that a non-professional poster can answer, the post will be moved to the topical thread. These attorneys are pedaling fast here and we don't want to wear them out.

Also, PLEASE take a minute to back-read and make sure your question has not already been asked and answered before submitting. It is not courteous of us to ask them to repeat themselves just because we haven't taken the time to look, okay?

TIA everyone!

Thank you. I kinda thought it would work the way you said. Man oh man - can you see the media scrum that THAT would cause? lol

Ok - another one. HHJP said that each side will get a chance to strike anyone before he swears them in. Could the State strike the woman that they tried to do the other day - or is she immune now? I mean, if they want to strike someone now - do they have to give a reason still? Or can they just say - "we don't want this one" and she's gone?

Either side, before the panel as a whole is sworn in, can move to backstrike a selected juror for cause or exercise a peremptory strike and Judge Perry is required by law to consider the cause strike or if a peremptory strike, grant it. See Gilliam v. State, 514 So. 2d at 1099 (Fla. 1987) ("Reversible error to deny a defendant his right to challenge a juror any time before the jury is sworn.").

I hope this hasn't been asked and answered.

AFTER the State's case, in FL, is it mandatory or optional that the Defense ask for a motion to dismiss?

It is not mandatory, but is always done because failure to move for dismissal (which is actually moving for a judgment of acquittal) waives the issue for purposes of appeal.

Either side, before the panel as a whole is sworn in, can move to backstrike a selected juror for cause or exercise a peremptory strike and Judge Perry is required by law to consider the cause strike or if a peremptory strike, grant it. See Gilliam v. State, 514 So. 2d at 1099 (Fla. 1987) ("Reversible error to deny a defendant his right to challenge a juror any time before the jury is sworn.").

I apologise for being a little slow on the uptake here :blushing: But are you saying that the SA does have another shot at striking this potential juror, even though the judge has already denied a peremptory strike on her?. If I am understanding correctly you are saying here that the judge cannot deny a peremptory strike. If this is the case, then why did he?

I hope I am making sense. Many thanks in advance

Could someone explain how exactly the backstrike process works?

HHJP said he would start swearing them in one they have reached 15 possible jurors. Will this is be a separate procedure and is backstriking done then or does it have to happen before then?

Can a potential juror be fined for omitting any criminal charges against him on his questionnaire? Also, if the defense or prosecution proves that a potential juror violated court rules by going on facebook and blogging about the case after being warned not to, can they be fined?

I suppose they could be fined. If I were HHJP, I would not want the distraction of dealing with those potential jurors at this point.

BBM

Don't think so: the Defense have to avoid irking the judge with over-objecting otherwise it will become second nature to overrule them.

But even so can it come in by way of ineffective assitance?

(This was about the jury-picking process in which HHJP is forcing the use of strikes before the full panel is known.)

If no one is objecting, it is likely that this process is normal in Florida and/or has been expressly approved by the Florida appellate courts. In which case it would not be ineffective assistance to fail to object.

I really doubt we're going to see much ineffective assistance of counsel with that whole defense team there. They are, as a group, clearly able to provide effective assistance of counsel.

Re THE lady that JA tried to strike yesterday.
If she is really as slow to grasp or comprehend the evidence as she seemed to be about the fairly simple questions she was asked during the VERY long interview, what will happen once she's on the Jury if she just cannot process it all? That would be quite a dilemma, what would the Jury Foreman be able to do about it? Anything?
What if she persists with her "don't ask me to judge others' stance when they are considering the evidence?

She passed voir dire. For the most part what happens behind closed doors in the jury room will never be known to the judge or attorneys. If the other jurors become concerned that she is actually mentally unable to comprehend the evidence or refuses to consider it at all, I suppose they could write a note to the judge and there is some slim possibility that he would remove her from the jury and replace her with an alternate.

Sorry if you have answered this - just so I get it clear since I am still confused - is ICA allowed to keep her defense team as counsel of record and not "standby counsel" so that she can pseudo-testify and do part of the closing argument. That is to say, can Casey Anthony keep her current defense team but present her own closing argument at the same time.

IIRC, Ted Bundy fired his counsel (although AFAIK, the Judge kept them as Standby counsel). So that is not exactly the same as what is being suggested here.

<respectfully snipped>

Out of interest can a person be charged with two contradictory offences (they would obviously have to be pled in the alternative I assume) on the same indictment (i.e. CA being charged with Murder and Perjury on the basis of her testifying she committed murder).

<respectfully snipped>

I do not believe that Casey can act as part of her "defense team." My understanding is that the defendant can EITHER represent him- or herself (perhaps with "standby counsel") OR be represented by counsel.

Yes, you can be charged in the alternative with "contradictory" offenses. You can't be convicted for contradictory offenses, of course.

Sorry for being a PITA, probably asked and answered a bazillion times and since I'm being lazy for not going back to find the answer.....IF KC's found not guilty of First Degree....and guilty of all the rest. I've been looking online for mandatory sentences....found Agg Child Abuse is 15 yr max....Agg Mansl of Child is 60 yr max....the False Info didn't really say much about sentences.
Please correct my figures for Fla, if you will...but....

1) Any guess about the sentences being served consecutively?? (IMO, seems EVERYONE is beyond PO'd with this all, and she just might get her sentence that way.)

2) Anything sticking out so far as to the possibility of her getting the max or min sentence for each of the rest of charges??

3) Is her check fraud conviction gonna REALLY affect the sentencing...or just a drop in the ocean??

4) Finally....would there be any guesses of an average time she'll spend in prison - with the above "IF" not guilty of First Degree....and possibility of parole??

Sorry, again....Please don't beat me!! LOL

I believe aggravated child abuse is 15 years max and aggravated manslaughter of a child is 30 years max. The false information charges IIRC are for providing false info during a "missing persons" investigation, so max penalty should be one year.

She can't be given consecutive sentences for charges that apply to essentially the same act, but IMO could be given consecutive sentences for the false information charges as opposed to the abuse/manslaughter charges, and MAYBE for each of the false info charges separately.

Florida has a "point system" to figure out sentencing. I believe her felony convictions will count significantly toward the number of points, but I don't know exactly how much. I have no guess as to how she would actually be sentenced in the circumstances you describe. Perhaps rhornsby might have a guess, though.

I apologise for being a little slow on the uptake here :blushing: But are you saying that the SA does have another shot at striking this potential juror, even though the judge has already denied a peremptory strike on her?. If I am understanding correctly you are saying here that the judge cannot deny a peremptory strike. If this is the case, then why did he?

I hope I am making sense. Many thanks in advance

I don't think rhornsby realized you guys were talking about the juror for whom the state already tried and failed to use a peremptory strike. They can, I suppose, ask HHJP to reconsider, but there is no reason to think he will do so.

Could someone explain how exactly the backstrike process works?

HHJP said he would start swearing them in one they have reached 15 possible jurors. Will this is be a separate procedure and is backstriking done then or does it have to happen before then?

Backstriking just means saving a peremptory strike and using it after the potential juror is done with voir dire but before the person is actually sworn in.

I don't think there will be 2 separate steps--I think HHJP will say, "I'm going to swear in juror #--- now," and then the attorneys can say, "Hold on, I want to use a strike."

Is Casey allowed to profit from any book deals or anything else while awaiting trial? Just curious as to how KC will pay Zenaida Gonzales if Mr. Morgan wins defamation suit against Casey.

Maybe this has already been discussed, I did not see the discussion. If they cannot get a full jury panel in Pinellas, can they take the ones that they have chosen and finish jury selection in Orange County? I am just curious.

Is Casey allowed to profit from any book deals or anything else while awaiting trial? Just curious as to how KC will pay Zenaida Gonzales if Mr. Morgan wins defamation suit against Casey.

If Casey had any income while awaiting trial (and trial has already started BTW! :waitasec:) her "indigency" would have to be reassessed. Also, what would she say? "I take the 5th. The end." ??

I'm sure Casey is not interested in the slightest in paying ZG if ZG wins the defamation suit. If Casey has no money to pay ZG, this will not upset Casey.

Maybe this has already been discussed, I did not see the discussion. If they cannot get a full jury panel in Pinellas, can they take the ones that they have chosen and finish jury selection in Orange County? I am just curious.

I don't believe there is any provision in the law that would permit them to do that, and I don't think HHJP will want to test out a new crazy jury selection method on this case.

I hope I am not repeating a question... Thank you attorny's for taking so much time to enlighten us...

If the DT goes after CA and GA for molesting and abusing KC, and they realize their daughter has done the things she is accused of, can they now answer truthfully, to questions they have not been truthfull about, in depos and police questioning???

(in short, of CA and GA realize DT and KC have thrown them under the bus and are angry about the accusations, can they fess up to the truth?)

I hope I am not repeating a question... Thank you attorny's for taking so much time to enlighten us...

If the DT goes after CA and GA for molesting and abusing KC, and they realize their daughter has done the things she is accused of, can they now answer truthfully, to questions they have not been truthfull about, in depos and police questioning???

(in short, of CA and GA realize DT and KC have thrown them under the bus and are angry about the accusations, can they fess up to the truth?)

Sure. The defense team will then read their deposition answers to impeach them, and will suggest that they are doing it to "get back" at Casey.

Yesterday JA was speaking with Juror " I can't remember her number", she was the one who had a 2 year old G-daughter who lived in New Hamshire, he referred to Caylee as the victim, after awhile AF said somethng, they all go over to speak with the judge, side bar I believe it's called, they all come back, JA continues speaking to the same juror but he starts referring to Caylee as the alleged victim. What does that mean, does that mean Caylee is alive? Did I miss something, I have never heard Caylee referred to as an alleged victim ??????? Is Cindy right, Caylee is still alive????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know that the DT's tactics will cause the family to suddenly believe that casey is guilty of what she has been charged with. However, there are some who believe such antics will make them angry enough to reveal things they either lied about previously or failed to mention. Again, I think it's a stretch that they would, but that's my personal opinion, not my professional one.

If they did, yes they could reveal certain things and change their testimony. That would set them up for a possible perjury charge or providing false information to LE, though and the defense would have a field day impeaching their credibility with former testimony from hearings and depos as well as statements to the police in the initial stages.

I don't see why Zenaida Gonzales is suing KC. Is clearing her name so important? It does seems frivious. Do you believe her attorneys talked her into suing. I would think they will just get publicity from the case, so they have almost more of a vested interest than Zenaida herself, unless the allegations regarding Zenaida by KC have really brought her so much harm...somehow I doubt it. But I maybe be wrong.

Yesterday JA was speaking with Juror " I can't remember her number", she was the one who had a 2 year old G-daughter who lived in New Hamshire, he referred to Caylee as the victim, after awhile AF said somethng, they all go over to speak with the judge, side bar I believe it's called, they all come back, JA continues speaking to the same juror but he starts referring to Caylee as the alleged victim. What does that mean, does that mean Caylee is alive? Did I miss something, I have never heard Caylee referred to as an alleged victim ??????? Is Cindy right, Caylee is still alive????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think it had anything to do with Caylee being alive. I think the defense team wants to present an accident theory and does not think the...um...victim of an accident should be called a victim. :waitasec: Perhaps they will call her the "accidentee."

I don't see why Zenaida Gonzales is suing KC. Is clearing her name so important? It does seems frivious. Do you believe her attorneys talked her into suing. I would think they will just get publicity from the case, so they have almost more of a vested interest than Zenaida herself, unless the allegations regarding Zenaida by KC have really brought her so much harm...somehow I doubt it. But I maybe be wrong.

I don't think her attorneys talked her into suing. I think she wanted to sue. But I have no basis for thinking this except seeing her in interviews and thinking, "Hm. She seems to want to milk this for whatever she can get."

Hope this isn't a really dumb question, but I've been wondering.

JP said Saturday when he gets to 15 he will swear them in. He originally said that he wanted 12 + 8 alternates.

Is it possible that he meant once he has the first 15 (maybe thinking he is allowing 3 strikes which would give him 12) he would swear in those so they could be sequestered to avoid tainting and continue the selection process for the remaining alternates?

Or is that a no-no?

TIA

AZ, how was the 6-8 weeks for the duration of the trial calculated? Is is based on the state saying we need x number of weeks to present our case and the same for the defense? Or is calculated on the number of witnesses being called? LOL, I have a hard time calculating how long it will take me to finish my spring cleaning...sometimes it lasts until fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79