Legalities of Unauthorized Family Visits Via Laptop

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Futher evidence shows that LP stated that Casey did not speak to her parents much and walked a wide circle around them. The only reason she slept in their room was to get away from Caylee's pictures on the bedroom wall and to not hear the posters out in the yard. I think GA bought a gun right after she came home (which was promptly taken away) because he needed to sleep with one eye open. GA and CA know exactly what she has done. They are just trying to sound nicey nice.. until she is put away for good. Just in case she gets out before they die they do not want to take any chances. ( How long will the check charges keep her in??)

:wink: i think check charges are the least of her worries right now.

:wink: i think check charges are the least of her worries right now.

I agree. But I also think Casey has no worries.

Miss Casey thinks she didn't commit a murder and she thinks she might get off. I think she is just nutsy enough to be planning the long list of people she would like to kill next.

Remember how she had them going on the "I need to copperate or they will come after us and harm the family."

She doesn't want to talk to them.. it is a waste a huge waste.

Do I think it is happening? Absolutely! You just have to look at CA reactions to believe it. When she was visiting, she made many complaints about the release of the video visits. When she quit visiting she made more complaints, because she couldn't visit without the visit being taped. Yet those complaints have stopped. IMO they stopped after the judge gave permission for JB's laptop to be taken into the jail.

JB also was very unhappy about the visits being taped and released to the media. He understood how the visits were being perceived by the public and the affect they were having on his case. He has mentioned that in the media many times. So he had to make a choice, to ban the family from visiting at all..... or to arrange some type of communication between his client and her family that circumvented the jail rules. To ban the family without some type of communication between KC and the family could be detrimental to his client and would get him some bad publicity because you know that CA wouldn't have kept quiet about the ban.

Technology in the jail is not a simple issue, ban or not to ban. An increasing number of crimes now days involve the computer/internet. More and more communication is wireless. And it could be crucial for an attorney to access the internet with his client at times. So I feel pretty certain that if there is a way for the jail to block internet, there is most likely a way for the jail to permit the attorneys to access. And when JB got the judges permission, he would get the access. The jail cannot monitor what JB does with his client because that is covered by attorney/client privelege. They can't stay in the room to monitor either. So yes, I feel pretty certain it happened. Whether they can prove it, or whether they can do anything about it I don't know.

I am hoping that he connected (and I am convinced he did/does) through their server for access. If so, maybe he is stupid enough to click the "keystrokes may be monitored and access may be documented" or whatever agreement that the jail may have popped up on his screen....if so, they have a record.

So many inmates do all kinds of stuff on the internet - web pages, etc. they have even been found to have online businesses generating revenue! If they can get on and not get caught - so can he - unless their attention is drawn to it. Thus maybe the no visits in *advertiser censored* days we have seen lately.

Poster was so right about the visits stopping and CA's complaining stopping right when he was granted to take the laptop in. Strickland didn't put any restrictions on it's use if I remember correctly!

]Yes, it's possible they both had air cards from their ISPs and I doubt the jail would block an attorney.[/B]
I wonder, though, why did LA take his laptop down when he was finished? Why not leave it up for the remainder of the family speeches?

From what I understood, (don't have a link)..the attorney is allowed to bring in the laptop and there are really not restrictions on Him, since he is claiming he is using it to prepare for his case. If an attorney can bring in his laptop I doubt that they will block internet access to an attorney. Remember there is not someone right there listening on what is going on while they visit. Casey could be looking at the lap top as is she was reading doc's..and instead she is reading messages from her family and sending messages. You brought up an import issue about the air cards to. It is possible that was another way the family has had contact. Either way, it was said that Lee has not had contact with Casey since before Dec 11...when Luka stated that right away I assumed that Baez and Lee had some type of arrangement for Casey to speak to the family.

From what I understood, (don't have a link)..the attorney is allowed to bring in the laptop and there are really not restrictions on Him, since he is claiming he is using it to prepare for his case. If an attorney can bring in his laptop I doubt that they will block internet access to an attorney. Remember there is not someone right there listening on what is going on while they visit. Casey could be looking at the lap top as is she was reading doc's..and instead she is reading messages from her family and sending messages. You brought up an import issue about the air cards to. It is possible that was another way the family has had contact. Either way, it was said that Lee has not had contact with Casey since before Dec 11...when Luka stated that right away I assumed that Baez and Lee had some type of arrangement for Casey to speak to the family.

I spoke to a friend who works in a jail. At least in his location they do not block the attorneys access. however they do watch the room. Both for the attorneys safety (lets be frank the person most likely to get attacked in a jail is typically the defendants own lawyer when things are going bad). Their rules are basically only the lawyer can touch the keyboard/mouse etc. The inmate cannot. he also indicates that he doesn't think any lawyer would be stupid or crazy enough to setup some sort of outside loop webcam to let the client talk to someone, because that would break the attorney client privilege and subject the lawyer to questioning.

So in this case I would suspect that JB allows KC to see comunications between him and her parents, he pulls up media sites. But he most likely does not let her sit and play on the laptop, post e-mail, text or webcam anyone.

Speaking on the tecnnical aspects.. As long as JB has wireless internet access at the jail and LA had internet access at the memorial. Both laptops had INTERGRATED Webcams, then yes this is likely possibility.

However, as an IT person let me share why I do not think it happened... it is absolutely possible the Jail has wireless internet but it can be blocked with an encryption key securing the access points. This means it makes it possible that JB could have a laptop but not internet access but the jail would have to give them that encryption key to connect to the access point. Ex: at the university where I provide support.. someone can not walk in off the street and access the wireless internet unless we register the MAC address of the computer and give them the encryption key. Even if we give it to the once.. we can choose to block that MAC permentantly whether or not we have given them a key in the past.
Same way at the church.. in both cases I would think the networks at the church and the prision would be playing a VERY DANGEROUS game with their network security not to have the wireless locked down. If you know of someone or yourselves do not have your wireless network secured then find out how to do it and get it done. I could look at my unsecured networks in my neighborhood and see exactly what is on a computer. I could several nefarious things. Do I??? no.. it is against the code of ethics.

So.. do I think JB or Lee used the internet during the church memorial to broadcast to one another. No, because I am POSITIVE the government owned jail HAS A SECURED network.

JB can bring a laptop into the jail. But I bet dollars to donuts he is NOT GETTING internet access.

Not having read all the posts yet, but maybe someone else has pointed out that using a cellphone (iPhone, Blackberry, etc) doesn't need to use the facilities signals. It all goes over the phone line, as do the wireless cards that cellphone companies sell. So, unless the jail has figured out a way to block cell signals, it could be done. Actually, there is a paint that will do that, some theatres have considered doing that so no viewers can talk on the phone!

And I see that, again, I should have read all the way thru!

Speaking on the tecnnical aspects.. As long as JB has wireless internet access at the jail and LA had internet access at the memorial. Both laptops had INTERGRATED Webcams, then yes this is likely possibility.

However, as an IT person let me share why I do not think it happened... it is absolutely possible the Jail has wireless internet but it can be blocked with an encryption key securing the access points. This means it makes it possible that JB could have a laptop but not internet access but the jail would have to give them that encryption key to connect to the access point. Ex: at the university where I provide support.. someone can not walk in off the street and access the wireless internet unless we register the MAC address of the computer and give them the encryption key. Even if we give it to the once.. we can choose to block that MAC permentantly whether or not we have given them a key in the past.
Same way at the church.. in both cases I would think the networks at the church and the prision would be playing a VERY DANGEROUS game with their network security not to have the wireless locked down. If you know of someone or yourselves do not have your wireless network secured then find out how to do it and get it done. I could look at my unsecured networks in my neighborhood and see exactly what is on a computer. I could several nefarious things. Do I??? no.. it is against the code of ethics.

So.. do I think JB or Lee used the internet during the church memorial to broadcast to one another. No, because I am POSITIVE the government owned jail HAS A SECURED network.

JB can bring a laptop into the jail. But I bet dollars to donuts he is NOT GETTING internet access.

I have an 'aircard'. I don't need WiFi at any location to catch a signal. I think I have also read somewhere that JB does have an aircard. I'm going to bet that even if the jail has an encrypted WiFi, they don't have anything that can Jam an aircard.

What do you think?

S'funny. If JB does have wireless and/or air card and is not encrypted or not encrypted strongly he wants to beware! He may think he is being so clever and the jail is watching his every transmission.

Be careful what you wish for, technology can bite you in the butt and .... does attorney / client privilege extend to wireless network transmissions?

Yeah privilege extends to electronic communication- and privilege/confidentiality isn't destroyed even if the communication is intercepted. I just wrote an long, awful, tedious brief on it :banghead:. It would all be excluded in court, and intentional interception is actually a federal crime.

I don't think LA was using his laptop, unless it was in sleep mode or the screen was just turned off. He had the laptop open to the audience but at 45 degrees, as shown when he closed it. The screen was blank. It didn't seem to be powered. I didn't see an air card.

Hi Cyerborg,

I work for laptop manufacturer, all of our laptops screens are design to prevent viewing from any angle other than straight on. It’s a security feature that keeps prying eyes from viewing whatever is on your screen.

I spoke to a friend who works in a jail. At least in his location they do not block the attorneys access. however they do watch the room. Both for the attorneys safety (lets be frank the person most likely to get attacked in a jail is typically the defendants own lawyer when things are going bad). Their rules are basically only the lawyer can touch the keyboard/mouse etc. The inmate cannot. he also indicates that he doesn't think any lawyer would be stupid or crazy enough to setup some sort of outside loop webcam to let the client talk to someone, because that would break the attorney client privilege and subject the lawyer to questioning.

So in this case I would suspect that JB allows KC to see comunications between him and her parents, he pulls up media sites. But he most likely does not let her sit and play on the laptop, post e-mail, text or webcam anyone.

Thank you so much for asking someone in the jail system and posting it here.

Yeah privilege extends to electronic communication- and privilege/confidentiality isn't destroyed even if the communication is intercepted. I just wrote an long, awful, tedious brief on it :banghead:. It would all be excluded in court, and intentional interception is actually a federal crime.
Wow. Had no idea. Good to know. Thank you for your insight.

I have an 'aircard'. I don't need WiFi at any location to catch a signal. I think I have also read somewhere that JB does have an aircard. I'm going to bet that even if the jail has an encrypted WiFi, they don't have anything that can Jam an aircard.

What do you think?

I do not even think they have to block the cell phones. As Baez walks through the metal detector they may have him remove all from his pockets including cell phones. I know that in our local jail.. you put your purse, keys, cellphone in a plastic tub and then pick it up on the way out. thi

Why do you think they do not have the ability to jam an aircard?

I think the jail would do better for their security and to keep inmates from using aircards and cell phones. To only allow access to the internet via a proxy server via a wireless network card and then use a application like SURF CONTROL to block every site but news related sites.

Today for example, I was at a Army National guard armory. Wireless does not work (encrypted) and when using a computer in the public lab I was not able to access ANYTHING but a military site not even a news site. This type of IT control would certainly be the most secure.

I think this statement from the jail clears up the theory that JB is using his cell phone for internet access. He can't bring it into the jail. :nono:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1609843/casey_anthony_is_on_twitter.html?cat=8

Thank you to everyone for your technical insights.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :blowkiss:

I thought I had seen this article somewhere and was too busy to go find it when we were talking about this on the thread.

I think this can be moved to MYTHBUSTERS....

New Websleuther and first time poster here, so be kind! My mind wants to run to a little lower hi-tech -- I think there is a strong possibility that Casey and her family are passing computer documents and videos back and forth via JB's computer. It certainly is not instantaneous conversation, but would afford them private communication without the problems of internet and aircard. And with no hard copy piece of paper, jail officials would have nothing to review.

Also, given that most of us believe LA was primarily addressing Casey with his repeated "CMA's", I believe he may have been recording himself with his built-in webcam at the memorial. Then JB could have later shown this to Casey as a personal communication from her brother that he will keep his promise to her.

I still can't believe that they approved Biaz bringing it in there with her. i guess different states have different rules. I don't think he should have been allowed to.

OOH! I just found this article...

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...hony-can-she-twitter-dont-you-believe-it.html

which says attorneys CAN bring a laptop with an aircard. However clients may not touch the laptop in any way. Interesting.... So it seems this theory is still a possibility, no? :confused:

Even if he brings it in to the jail.. I would think her viewing ANYTHING on the laptop is prohibited. It says they can not use the laptop.
They do video record or watch the attorneys and clients. But they do not record sound. So I would think.. that if she is watching a video from her parents that would be considered using and a NO NO.

Even if he brings it in to the jail.. I would think her viewing ANYTHING on the laptop is prohibited. It says they can not use the laptop.
They do video record or watch the attorneys and clients. But they do not record sound. So I would think.. that if she is watching a video from her parents that would be considered using and a NO NO.

And that would keep the Anthonys and Baez from doing it? Hardly. They ALL believe themselves to be above the law.

My guess would be they have used air cards for their computers and JB provides a way for them to have conferences by way of the internet. There can be no sound heard when she is with her attorney, and it would be the perfect set up for them to AGAIN try to circumvent the rules.

Could this be what JB wants the PRIVATE hearing with the judge for without the prosecution?

I hope they were doing it and LE caught all of it on tape or through a tap on the air cards. (that can be done as can keystrokes)

I still can't believe that they approved Biaz bringing it in there with her. i guess different states have different rules. I don't think he should have been allowed to.

One thing Baez may not know is LE is capable of "recording" anything which is live on that laptop. In our area, they are told not to use the internet, but allowed computers. If they do go on the internet, it is "grabbed" by a system LE has and it all becomes part of the case, because the attorneys have to sign an agreement before they can take their laptops into the jail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc
Back