Leslie Van Houten up for parole again

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Leslie is the one most likely to be released of the still-living Manson inmates.

I believe she was released once on appeal back in the late 70's or early 80's and worked as a clerk in her lawyer's office.

I believe she was released once on appeal back in the late 70's or early 80's and worked as a clerk in her lawyer's office.

Freed on bond during her third trial, maybe?

People like this should never be released.

I remember my youth like it was yesterday. No doubt she does too.

Why should she get to walk around free when Sharon and her baby and the other vics whose names escape me, cannot?

Yes. IT was not just someone that she shot in self defense or an old boyfriend, These were innocent people they went out and tortured and butchered.
She should never ever see the light of day. None of them should.

I agree. Van Houten went to the LaBianca home with intent, and how does she know Rosemary was dead when she stabbed her? Van Houten even said that she was disappointed that she didn't take part in the Cielo Drive murders because she felt "The Family" was doing something important.

Danger to society or not, she should never be released. Ever.

Leslie Van Houten, the youngest of Charles Manson's followers to take part in one of the nation's most notorious killings, is trying again for parole.

The homecoming princess who descended into a life of drugs before joining Manson's cult in the 1960s is scheduled for her 21st hearing before a parole board panel on Thursday at the California Institution for Women in Chino.

Van Houten, 66, has spent more than four decades in prison, completing college degrees and demonstrating exemplary behavior.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/manson-family-member-seeks-parole-1969-murder-38383249

Free her.

Have to disagree with you on this one- NEVER free her! She, by her own admission, viciously stabbed Rosemary LaBianca 16 times. It's irrelevant whether those were the death blows, Rosemary was already dead, or someone else harmed her first. At minimum, it's mutilation of a corpse, at maximum, those wounds could have killed her. There was no need to stab an innocent woman, whose house they broke into- 16 times, or at all, for that matter! I don't care what a model citizen she's been, it doesn't make up for her actions, she showed no remorse, and had the Death Penalty not been abolished in CA in 1977, she'd have been on Death Row and maybe executed by now!:behindbar:behindbar:behindbar

If I was in as long as she has been I don't know if I would want out. It is a much different world and can be a pretty scary one too.

The Latest: Parole recommended for Ex-Manson family member

A California panel has recommended parole for former Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten more than four decades after she went to prison for the killings of a wealthy grocer and his wife.

A panel of the California Board of Parole Hearings made the decision Thursday after Leslie Van Houten's 20th parole hearing.
The decision will now undergo administrative review by the board. If upheld it goes to Gov. Jerry Brown, who has final say on whether the now-66-year-old Van Houten is released.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-ex-manson-family-member-details-night-murders-184731605.html?nhp=1

Board recommends parole for Charles Manson follower Leslie Van Houten

After the ruling is reviewed by the parole board's legal team, it will be forwarded to Gov. Jerry Brown, who could decide to block Van Houten’s release.

Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey expressed disapproval after the decision was announced: "We disagree with the board's decision and will evaluate how we plan to proceed."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...s-parole-for-1969-slaying-20160413-story.html

Keep her in until she's at least 90---66 is middle aged in today's America. They never let William Heirens out and there was actually a chance that he was innocent.

No way did my most favorite WebSleuth poster of all time say this.Are you drinking or on good drugs my friend?
I have little doubt her actions at the LaBianca house were heinous. I have no idea who did the actual killing. But this crime, and the trial, and its aftermath, were politicized by a sitting U.S. president whose pronouncements guaranteed a fair trial impossible in those highly charged times. I have little doubt she was guilty, though "of what?" is a fair question. Regardless. Van Houten's done her bit, improved her lot, and presents no societal threat at all. Four-plus decades is enough. Gov. Brown must approve this recommendation.

I have little doubt her actions at the LaBianca house were heinous. I have no idea who did the actual killing. But this crime, and the trial, and its aftermath, were politicized by a sitting U.S. president whose pronouncements guaranteed a fair trial impossible in those highly charged times. I have little doubt she was guilty, though "of what?" is a fair question. Regardless. Van Houten's done her bit, improved her lot, and presents no societal threat at all. Four-plus decades is enough. Gov. Brown must approve this recommendation.
She was guilty of stabbing Rosemary LaBianca 16 times. She confessed and was convicted of murder. Doesn't matter who was president at the time or who politicized/publicized it. She was tried 3 times- now tell me she didn't get fair trial! Brown needs to veto this.

Cory LaBianca, who was 21 years old when her father and stepmother were slain, told The Times that she strongly disagreed with the parole board's decision and planned to lobby the governor to deny Van Houten's parole.
"Maybe Leslie Van Houten has been a model prisoner," Cory LaBianca said. "But you know what, we still suffer our loss. My father will never be paroled. My stepmother will never get her life back. There’s no way I can agree with the ruling today. I don’t seek revenge. I just think it's just for someone to do that to stay in prison."

Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey, whose office argued for Van Houten to remain behind bars, also expressed disapproval in a statement: "We disagree with the board's decision and will evaluate how we plan to proceed." <snip>

Last summer, a parole board recommended parole for Manson associate Bruce Davis, who was convicted in the 1969 killings of Gary Hinman and Donald &#8220;Shorty&#8221; Shea.
But in January, Brown rejected parole for the 73-year-old, stating that &#8220;Davis' own actions demonstrate that he had fully bought into the depraved Manson family beliefs.&#8221; Davis was not involved in the killings of the LaBiancas, Tate and four others. more at link: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-charles-manson-follower-leslie-van-houten-seeks-parole-for-1969-slaying-20160413-story.html

A review of the parole board decision could take up to four months. Such reviews are routinely upheld, Patino said. If it is, the governor would then have a month to grant or deny parole.
A spokesman for Governor Jerry Brown did not return calls about the Van Houten case. www.sfgate.com/news/article/Manson-...ten-recommended-for-7249954.php#photo-9806012

She may only be 66 but have you seen her picture? She looks at least 76 now. I don't think she's a further threat to society, which is the most important thing for any felon being considered for parole. Her sentence was changed to Life with the possibility of parole in 1976. Were it not the infamous Manson family, she probably would have been paroled by now. The notoriety of the murders helped keep her incarcerated longer than any other woman. I doubt Krenwinkel will ever see the outside of prison walls.

She may only be 66 but have you seen her picture? She looks at least 76 now. I don't think she's a further threat to society, which is the most important thing for any felon being considered for parole. Her sentence was changed to Life with the possibility of parole in 1976. Were it not the infamous Manson family, she probably would have been paroled by now. The notoriety of the murders helped keep her incarcerated longer than any other woman. I doubt Krenwinkel will ever see the outside of prison walls.
Were it not for the abolishment of the Death Penalty, she'd be on Death Row and probably executed by now. The only reason her sentence was commuted was because of that. Life should mean LIFE! Susan Atkins died in prison, so should she!! And it wasn't just the notoriety, it was the heinouness. They carved the word "WAR" into Leno LaBianca!

Van Houten had been sentenced to death in 1971 for her part in the savage killings of supermarket owner Leno LaBianca and his wife, Rosemary, at their home in the Los Feliz section of Los Angeles. The killings came a day after the slaying of actress Sharon Tate and four others by other members of Manson&#8217;s cult.

All death sentences were commuted to life prison sentences following a 1972 court ruling. Van Houten was ordered retried in 1976. That jury could not reach a verdict. Two years later, she was retried, convicted and sentenced to life in prison. http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...ten-recommended-for-7249954.php#photo-9806012

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back