Life for the West Memphis Three - Free After the Alford Plea

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But, the thing is, Mr. Jackson stated that he donated 10 million dollars to conduct investigations and testing of evidence for the WM3. Why in the world should he have to donate thousands more to support Misskelley?

He doesn't have to. He has chosen to.

Where did all the money go that all the supporters donated over the years to the WM3? If Jackson paid for all the testings, etc. then why isn't there a fund (I thought there was) for each man already? Why the constant begging for more financial support from all the ordinary people who sacrificed their own paychecks to help the WM3?

Jackson didn't pay for everything, that's another non fallacy. He contributed alot, but he didn't single handedly pay for the defense.

The rest of your post is predicated on the notion that the three are guilty. As I believe that to be untrue, there isn't much point in me responding to it. Any response I would give would simply open up yet another case discussion, and I doubt it would produce any debate which hasn't been hashed to death in this forum already.

Obviously Peter Jackson would have set him up to start his life elsewhere, and indeed he still might - there's no saying the home he pays rent on for a year has to be in Arkansas. Supporters have also been donating to a fund especially set up for Jessie ever since it came to our attention that he was having trouble with his utility bills.

The one thing most supporters have been saying to, and about, Jessie since the day he was released is that they wish he would leave Arkansas. It was Jessie himself who said he wanted to live near his father, and that IS the honest answer, regardless of whether you want to believe it. You really think if Jessie had said "I'd love to move but I don't have the money" that he wouldn't have been helped? Whenever he's asked for help with something he's been given it, same as the other two.

He really does need to leave Arkansas though, he and his family and friends are going to be hounded at every opportunity as long as he stays there.

I know Jessie wanted to be with family and friends.He himself said it.

I throw my arms up cap.I guess I see things in a different light.I see that Jason and Damien are on a different support level than Jessie which baffles me with all of their wealthy supporters.I am talking about the famous rich ones NOT us everyday people who have given what we can.

Maybe I am making sense to someone.:crazy:

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes, LF. What do you think Jessie should be getting that he's not getting?

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes, LF. What do you think Jessie should be getting that he's not getting?

I don't think he's getting the same financial support that Jason and Damien have gotten.This is just my opinion though.Yes now Jackson is helping which is admirable BUT once again...why was there not some type of account set up for Jessie in the first place.WHY?

If Damien and Lorrie were flown to New Zealand and Jason is/was in Amsterdam then why the hell didn't Jessie have to ask for help in having a home to live in?I just don't get it but I don't why people think all babies are cute either. :dunno: So there ya go.

There was an account set up for Jessie in the first place, and people have been donating to it all along.

I think the differences you're seeing are nothing to do with supporters treating the three unequally. Jason has a job and is planning to finish college, Damien has a book deal and production credits on the Amy Berg film, but Jessie doesn't even has his GED yet which means his prospects are slimmer. Add to that he's elected to live in one of America's poorest states in the middle of a recession and where many people think he's a child killer, and you have a situation where Jessie needs more help than the other two. Which is probably why there's been a fund set up especially for him, and why Peter Jackson is not paying Jason or Damien's rent for the next year.

There was an account set up for Jessie in the first place, and people have been donating to it all along.

I think the differences you're seeing are nothing to do with supporters treating the three unequally. Jason has a job and is planning to finish college, Damien has a book deal and production credits on the Amy Berg film, but Jessie doesn't even has his GED yet which means his prospects are slimmer. Add to that he's elected to live in one of America's poorest states in the middle of a recession and where many people think he's a child killer, and you have a situation where Jessie needs more help than the other two. Which is probably why there's been a fund set up especially for him, and why Peter Jackson is not paying Jason or Damien's rent for the next year.

Well apparently the fund doesn't seem to be that substantial.Given that Jessie is the one who no doubt would have a harder time upon release WHY didn't one of the wealthy supporters donate a large sum to Jessie to really help him out?And we don't know what Jackson has or hasn't given to Jason and Damien.We know he is helping Jessie with his rent for now.I hope someday Jessie gets out of Arkansas but I doubt he will leave his Dad.

I am gonna go back to my confused corner and ponder but I won't change my mind about support equality.:seeya:

Well, the fund was substantial enough for Jessie to be doing just fine before the state stuck a spanner in the works by necessitating a sudden house move.

As for support equality - I think they should be helped according to their needs, and those needs aren't necessarily equal. At the moment, I agree with you that Jessie needs the most help. But "help" in his case does not mean plane tickets to New Zealand or Amsterdam, it means practical help till he achieves financial independence. I think some people have been touting a red herring about Jessie since the day they were released and went their separate ways - Jason and Damien to a party with celebrities at a posh hotel, Jessie back to the trailer park he grew up in for a bbq with family and friends. This was presented as if Jessie was some kind of a sad figure being shunned or punished for confessing.

The sober truth is rather different - Jessie didn't even stay long at that bbq, because he wasn't comfortable being surrounded by a large group of people who all wanted to talk to him, even though they were people he'd known since childhood. So how much do you think he wanted to go to a posh hotel with a bunch of strangers? We see the same in interviews, Jessie either ducks out altogether or stays up in the balcony while the other two do the talking. So while I agree he shouldn't be overlooked or anything, I think its wrong to assume he's being treated badly just because he's not living the same lifestyle as the other two. He doesn't want that lifestyle, and is not cut out for it, he wants to stay close to home and live a quiet life.

Well, the fund was substantial enough for Jessie to be doing just fine before the state stuck a spanner in the works by necessitating a sudden house move.

As for support equality - I think they should be helped according to their needs, and those needs aren't necessarily equal. At the moment, I agree with you that Jessie needs the most help. But "help" in his case does not mean plane tickets to New Zealand or Amsterdam, it means practical help till he achieves financial independence. I think some people have been touting a red herring about Jessie since the day they were released and went their separate ways - Jason and Damien to a party with celebrities at a posh hotel, Jessie back to the trailer park he grew up in for a bbq with family and friends. This was presented as if Jessie was some kind of a sad figure being shunned or punished for confessing.

The sober truth is rather different - Jessie didn't even stay long at that bbq, because he wasn't comfortable being surrounded by a large group of people who all wanted to talk to him, even though they were people he'd known since childhood. So how much do you think he wanted to go to a posh hotel with a bunch of strangers? We see the same in interviews, Jessie either ducks out altogether or stays up in the balcony while the other two do the talking. So while I agree he shouldn't be overlooked or anything, I think its wrong to assume he's being treated badly just because he's not living the same lifestyle as the other two. He doesn't want that lifestyle, and is not cut out for it, he wants to stay close to home and live a quiet life.

And once again these things I know and I am sober.He wanted to be with those he knew,missed and loved.It's where I would have gone...back to my loved ones.

I didn't say he was being treated badly.I said that financially I do not think he has been treated the same as Jason and Damien.

Like you yourself said that Jessie would be the one to struggle the most then WHY didn't any of the fat cats with millions set Jessie up right away so that he didn't have to seek any help this soon after being released?

If I could ask the fatties myself I would.

I never said you weren't sober, lol. :crazy:

Well, I don't know why fat cats do or don't do any given thing with their money, but at least it seems to be a case of better late than never.

Misskelley wasn't doing all that well before he was evicted from the friend's home. About a month ago, he was soliciting funds to have his "electricity turned on." He was always left out of the WM3's finance picture.

I wish that someone could point to the fund that is set up for Misskelley, either now or then. A real charity could show their donations, where they came from and in what amount, and who received the money.

I don't believe it ever existed.

Misskelley wasn't doing all that well before he was evicted from the friend's home. About a month ago, he was soliciting funds to have his "electricity turned on." He was always left out of the WM3's finance picture.

I wish that someone could point to the fund that is set up for Misskelley, either now or then. A real charity could show their donations, where they came from and in what amount, and who received the money.

I don't believe it ever existed.

Even though we are on opposite sides of the fence I do appreciate your post.Thank You.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the fund for Jessie was set up on a private supporter's page. It was established shortly after it was made public knowledge that Jessie needed money for electricity, as was previously stated. No one is hiding anything about it, but only supporters have access to some pages on the Internet frankly because too much information in the wrong hands could be dangerous. It's happened before, and no one wants to see it happen again. The fund exists, but I can't post a link. I hope everyone understands.

One thing that I don't believe has been pointed out is that Jessie is a proud and private man who doesn't like to ask for help. This is primarily why his situation was not known immediately. I hope that eventually he will feel free to ask for help when it is needed.

I, too, want to applaud Peter Jackson for his continued support, not just for Jessie but for the fight for exoneration. I look forward to January 12, 2012, when Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory premieres on HBO, and I look forward to the release of Amy Berg's film, West of Memphis, which was funded by Peter Jackson. I hope that PL3 "encourages" Arkansas to do the right thing by Damien, Jason and Jessie and reopen the investigation into the deaths of Christopher, Michael and Stevie.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the fund for Jessie was set up on a private supporter's page. It was established shortly after it was made public knowledge that Jessie needed money for electricity, as was previously stated. No one is hiding anything about it, but only supporters have access to some pages on the Internet frankly because too much information in the wrong hands could be dangerous. It's happened before, and no one wants to see it happen again. The fund exists, but I can't post a link. I hope everyone understands.

One thing that I don't believe has been pointed out is that Jessie is a proud and private man who doesn't like to ask for help. This is primarily why his situation was not known immediately. I hope that eventually he will feel free to ask for help when it is needed.

I, too, want to applaud Peter Jackson for his continued support, not just for Jessie but for the fight for exoneration. I look forward to January 12, 2012, when Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory premieres on HBO, and I look forward to the release of Amy Berg's film, West of Memphis, which was funded by Peter Jackson. I hope that PL3 "encourages" Arkansas to do the right thing by Damien, Jason and Jessie and reopen the investigation into the deaths of Christopher, Michael and Stevie.

Well respectfully speaking..Susie can ask for help as she is his fiance who does happen to have children whom will and is being partially raised by Jessie so let's not go the proud route anymore.That's been played out like my Shaun Cassidy Da Do Ron Ron 45.I am glad they are being helped.

I whole heartedly hope they will someday be exonerated.But until then....don't have any one of them having to live like they did before they were incarcerated.

I think that what people are asking (not just me but supporters) is if Peter Jackson paid 10 million dollars for investigations and dna testing, then what happened to all the other money since Misskelley wasn't a recepient of the supporter donations that were collected for years. I have not followed this case for years, like you obviously have, so maybe I am assuming that there was a lot of money collected from supporters over the years? I also may be incorrect but I thought that individual supporters personally sent cash, to which ever inmate that they wanted to help, directly to the prison accounts for items that prisoners have to pay for? So I am confused by your statement that an account was set up for Misskelley when it was learned that he didn't have any electricity?

I am not trying to be rude but how do you know that Mr. Misskelley is a proud and private person? I always get the feeling that you know these people personally but, I thought a poster here asked you this and you stated you did not?

I, too, want to applaud Peter Jackson for his continued support, not just for Jessie but for the fight for exoneration.

If any other convicted felons pled guilty and signed their names to their pleas, then do you believe that an extremely wealthy man in the entertainment business should try to pressure a state into granting exonerations? I admit that I believe that Echols, Baldwin and Misskelley are guilty of murdering those little boys. But I don't know with an absolute certainty. But neither does Peter Jackson know with an absolute certainty that these men are innocent. The problem lies in the fact that each man signed his name to guilty under the charges of the 1st degree murders of 3 eight year old boys (except Misskelley who signed his name to the charges of one 1st degree murder of a child and two counts of 2nd degree murder of two children. When they did that, with full legal counsel and advice, they were informed that the state of Arkansas will consider the case closed. And so it is and will remain.[COLOR="black"][/COLOR]

I look forward to January 12, 2012, when Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory premieres on HBO, and I look forward to the release of Amy Berg's film, West of Memphis, which was funded by Peter Jackson. I hope that PL3 "encourages" Arkansas to do the right thing by Damien, Jason and Jessie and reopen the investigation into the deaths of Christopher, Michael and Stevie.

Did you read the Todd and Dana Moore's letter to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (for Documentary)?

Did you read the Todd and Dana Moore's letter to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (for Documentary)?

Yes. They are entitled to their opinion. However, this certainly isn't the first time a documentary film that is controversial has been considered for the Oscar. In fact, the 2001 winner, Murder on a Sunday Morning, was also about a teenager who was wrongfully accused of murder.

Did you read Sean Flynn's article in the December, 2011, issue of GQ?

Here's a link: http://www.gq.com/news-politics/new...ory-sean-flynn-gq-december-2011?currentPage=1

It's long, but IMO it's well worth the time to read it.

The GQ article was long, true.

I liked the description "sizable minority" to put down the rest of us.

Yes. They are entitled to their opinion. However, this certainly isn't the first time a documentary film that is controversial has been considered for the Oscar. In fact, the 2001 winner, Murder on a Sunday Morning, was also about a teenager who was wrongfully accused of murder.

Did you read Sean Flynn's article in the December, 2011, issue of GQ?

Here's a link: http://www.gq.com/news-politics/new...ory-sean-flynn-gq-december-2011?currentPage=1

It's long, but IMO it's well worth the time to read it.

good read, cr. thank you for sharing the link.

And this just proves to me that I am right when I say that support for all three are NOT equal.Sure NOW Jessie is getting help while Damien and Lorri were flown to Seattle and then off to New Zealand.Jason is in The Netherlands.Don't get me wrong as I am glad that they are off living their lives BUT for anyone to insist that they were all three treated equally by supporters are full of crap.

If Jessie had wanted to live in another state it would not have made any difference.WHO was going to set him up to start his life elsewhere?WHY didn't any of these wealthy *advertiser censored* supporters set Jessie up with some form of financial help?NO ONE seems to be able to say why except that Jessie wanted to stay in Arkansas,Jessie didn't want any hand outs.That is the biggest load of horse-chit I have ever heard.I wasn't born yesterday.

I wish someone could give me an honest answer for once.

Glad to know that Jessie is at least going to have a home for year.

There's gotta be a bunch of people making money off the documentaries. Do any of the WMIII get funds from the shows?

I find it a hard pill to swallow that JM is struggling to make ends meet, while many are profiting off this tragedy.

MOO

Mel

There's gotta be a bunch of people making money off the documentaries. Do any of the WMIII get funds from the shows?

I know that all people involved in the original documentary were given an honorarium - all people. I also know that, since the first doc, the Moores have steadfastly refused any monies, and have refused to participate in the sequels. (BTW, recently over at the Farm, I understand that Todd did put his hand out and Farm bit it off!) Then, Bruce and Joe received a lot of flack about those "payments" so they tried to give everyone other "consideration" with the second film. For Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory, some sort of compensation was arranged for participation. I forget just how it worked.

I find it a hard pill to swallow that JM is struggling to make ends meet, while many are profiting off this tragedy.

MOO

Mel

I have always said that I worried the most about Jessie, post release. With his limited mental abilities, he will have the most trouble attaining gainful employment. Also, IMO, he will be the one most tempted by outside influences to violate the conditions of their release.

There are some very evil people out there who, if given the chance, will actively attempt to get Jessie in trouble. This is why I would like to see him leave Arkansas, because IMO most of the people wanting to do him harm, including the State officials, are in Arkansas. This does not mean that everyone in Arkansas is against him, however.

I was really heartened to learn that Jessie is working toward a GED. I hope and pray that he's successful because it will greatly improve his opportunities. However, given his mental disability, I fear that he might not be able to complete the course.

Yes, Jessie is struggling. However, IMO, as long as he remains in Arkansas, he will continue to struggle. I, too, am very glad that PJ stepped up to the plate and offered the financial help he did. I just hope and pray that Jessie will be ready to stand on his own when the year is up. If he isn't, I'm sure that PJ (or someone) will step forward again, but that would not really be good for Jessie. He needs to be able to stand on his own. "Give a man a fish," etc.

But, the thing is, Mr. Jackson stated that he donated 10 million dollars to conduct investigations and testing of evidence for the WM3. Why in the world should he have to donate thousands more to support Misskelley?

Where did all the money go that all the supporters donated over the years to the WM3? If Jackson paid for all the testings, etc. then why isn't there a fund (I thought there was) for each man already? Why the constant begging for more financial support from all the ordinary people who sacrificed their own paychecks to help the WM3?

I don't think these men should expect any more financial donations. Mr. Echols and Mr. Baldwin were shown traveling the world, attending premiers, going to Disneyland, and parties. Misskelley's problem isn't that he choses to live in Arkansas. It is that there was no money collected for him because of what he did. He confessed to the crime and stated the Echols and Baldwin murdered those little boys. All the fake concern for "poor little Jessie with the mind of a 5 year old" is so dishonest it is infuriating. He lived like an adult when he was 17 when he committed those crimes with Echols and Baldwin. He sometimes worked as a roofer. He maintained a successful relationship with his girlfriend. He was considered responsible and reliable enough for neighbors to babysit. He had friends who were older than he that considered him mature enough and strong enough to practice wrestling in rings with other adults. He's uneducated, not mentally challanged.

There are so many more charities or individuals in your own communities who deserve your help than these three grown felons do. They don't have the dubious "celebrity" as the WM3, to be sure, but you can investigate where your money goes to legitimate charities. You cannot ever do so with the WM3. No one knows who gets the checks or how they're administered. And to continue supporting them is to just choosing to firmly shut one's eyes and agree to be scammed. IMHO

I thought the fund was setup only for Echols via his wife Lorri Davis. From what I have read it really sounds like a scam. And there was trouble with the funds from donors, they were having problems accounting for the money.

Surely people are still not donating to them after finding out about the millions already given by the celebrities.

I guess they have nothing better to spend their money on. Too bad they could not have done something more compassionate like donate to charity to help children instead of to a convict who murders children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back