Lloyd Welch is Person of Interest

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely missed this part from the Post article-

Investigators have found bones on the property, the search warrants state. But that may not mean much because the land contains an old cemetery with more than 30 unmarked graves. At one point during the search, detectives wrote, a dog trained to sniff decomposition “alerted” to areas away from the cemetery

IS this also a new revelation? I don't think I heard that before tonight.

Does anyone know what address RAW lived at in 1975? The house he lives in now (in Hyattsville, MD) he purchased in 1985 I believe.

I completely missed this part from the Post article-

Investigators have found bones on the property, the search warrants state. But that may not mean much because the land contains an old cemetery with more than 30 unmarked graves. At one point during the search, detectives wrote, a dog trained to sniff decomposition “alerted” to areas away from the cemetery

IS this also a new revelation? I don't think I heard that before tonight.

I believe that is the first mention by authorities that anything had been found on Taylors Mountain.

I do not know the address, the address in H'ville that LLW lived has been published in the chronological list of whereabouts released by the FBI.

Wherever RAW lived at the time, I think it would make sense to execute a search warrant even though it is perhaps a shot in the dark after 40 years to find any trace.

There is mention of a THOMAS WELCH JR. who was alleged to be with RAW and the sisters in a car. TW mentions he was 10 1/2 years old at the time. There are two Thomas Welch's in the Md. CaseSearch website with different middle names and birthdates a month apart in 1963. Both have a combination of trafic and criminal offenses.

Thomas Welch in the Post article does not believe the allegation against his uncle RAW but seems to dislike LLW and describes him as a black sheep of the family.

I believe that is the first mention by authorities that anything had been found on Taylors Mountain.

You are correct Historydetective63 I suspected they might have though. It will obviously take a while for any remains to be tested and for it to be revealed if they are indeed the remains of the Lyon sisters.

NBC4 Washington DC news reported on recent announcements in the Lyon case this evening. They stated that Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr. (who was named a person of interest last year on 11 Feb 2014) had called in a tip to police on 1 April 1975 regarding the Lyon sisters - and that he reported seeing them enter a vehicle with a man. MCP interviewed him and got his Baltimore Street, Hyattsville, MD address at that time. They also reportedly gave him a polygraph test which indicated deception on his part.

Remember that a year ago, Lloyd Welch's stepmother Edna Welch stated that she recalled Lloyd had told her that he intended to call in a tip to claim a reward offered in the paper (1 April 1975) AND that he did, in fact, call in that tip. This would mean that he called it in from her house on Baltimore Street in Hyattsville. Mrs. Welch went on to state that she didn't think he knew anything about it. (Perhaps her impression of his usual habit of lying.)

In order to claim any reward or give a tip, the first thing any normal police department would do is take his name and address - and MCP confirmed last year on 11 Feb 2014 that they had Lloyd's address - given to them - on the specific date of 1 April 1975. Tonight's news story has confirmed all this.

Regardless of anything Lloyd Welch has said or done SINCE 1975, going back to that time, it would seem that 18 year old Lloyd was IN FACT relaying some accurate information to MCP. Information that seems to be the keystone of their current investigation.

It is obvious that Lloyd's 1975 information is being taken seriously today. That is good. There is still a 500 pound gorilla question in the room as to why his statements and the story and sketch of the Long Haired Man (believed now by police to have been Lloyd Welch) was kept secret from the public for so long?

Given Lloyd Welch's mental and criminal history, it is tempting to consider him as either the sole perpetrator of the girls' abduction, or as a part of a team of abductors. But why would he call police investigators only a week after they went missing with critical information which places himself at the scene? Obviously, he wanted to get the reward - but if he had an ounce of common sense or intelligence he must have realized that he would be considered a potential suspect.

One might make a persuasive legal argument that Lloyd Welch was and is of diminished mental capacity - based on this and later incidents.

A strong element in Lloyd's favor is the eyewitness testimony of "Jimmy" and his friend who claimed to have seen Sheila and Katherine talking to a man with a tape recorder (TRM) shortly before they went missing. Although Lloyd had the benifit of having read a summary of that story in the same edition of the Washington Post that detailed the $7,000 reward, there may be points of similarity between Lloyd's statements to police and the more detailed information from "Jimmy" and friend in police files.

Does anyone know what address RAW lived at in 1975? The house he lives in now (in Hyattsville, MD) he purchased in 1985 I believe.

According to the Hyattsville Life & Times' report back in October, at the time of the Lyon girls' disappearance, Richard and Patricia Welch lived in a rental house at the corner of Jefferson St. and 42nd Pl. in Hyattsville. Richard's mother and a brother (now deceased) lived upstairs in the duplex.

RAW lived at 5229 42nd Place in Hyattsville, see attached picture. Note the detached garage behind the house. The house is currently vacant and in disrepair with multiple local ordinance infractions.

btw, this house is in proximity to 5602 37th Avenue, Hyattsville, where 18 year old Eileen Kelly lived with her parents before she was abducted, sexually assaulted and murdered in December 1974, just 3 months prior to the Lyon sisters disapearance. RAW's old residence is also just a few hundred feet from where Eileen Kelly and her family attended church at St. Jerome's.
RAW 1975 home.jpg

Given Lloyd Welch's mental and criminal history, it is tempting to consider him as either the sole perpetrator of the girls' abduction, or as a part of a team of abductors. But why would he call police investigators only a week after they went missing with critical information which places himself at the scene? Obviously, he wanted to get the reward - but if he had an ounce of common sense or intelligence he must have realized that he would be considered a potential suspect.

One might make a persuasive legal argument that Lloyd Welch was and is of diminished mental capacity - based on this and later incidents.

I agree that LLW mental capacity may not be good at all. Besides the prior convictions, we know little about his mental health- whether he has been hospitalized in institutions and if there were drug or alcohol problems. Nor do we know what his IQ range is, I doubt he is genius level and wonder if he is borderline retarded based on his troubles functioning in society and living at or near poverty as a carnival worker..

Seems odd a killer would have the bad sense to attempt to collect a reward on an abduction he was involved in, but we may be dealing with someone with that kind of bad sense.

Could it be that LLW failed the polygraph in 1975 because he distorted the truth that he knew and denied his own or his uncles involvement?

Let's remember too, if LLW has a habit of lying or distorting the truth, it does not exclude him from being capable of murder. It's very possible that he lied about, misdirected or minimized his role in the crime but was still involved in it.

I want to commend any investigator who is working on this. I cannot imagine the patience it takes to interview someone like LLW- his knowledge is so vital that you cannot risk alienating him and the possibility of him clamming up. It really takes a disciplined mind to show restraint around such a savage and to investigate this in a professional manner without becoming emotional.

btw, this house is in proximity to 5602 37th Avenue, Hyattsville, where 18 year old Eileen Kelly lived with her parents before she was abducted, sexually assaulted and murdered in December 1974, just 3 months prior to the Lyon sisters disapearance. RAW's old residence is also just a few hundred feet from where Eileen Kelly and her family attended church at St. Jerome's.
View attachment 69811

That's an interesting observation. The Kellys lived on 37th Ave. and Jefferson St. It would have been a 15-minute walk east on Jefferson to 43rd Ave., and then 1 block south to St. Jerome's. They would have passed directly by the house the Welches were living in. However, by the mid-'70s, many if not most parishioners would have been driving that distance and parking in one of the lots adjacent to the church. Perhaps the Kellys would have walked, anyway, if they didn't have a car or van big enough to hold their large family. It's still quite a leap from noticing a girl walking to church to stalking her to the extent of knowing her route to and from work.

With respect to LLW's account, I'd also note that Jefferson St. is and was a busy street, a feeder from much of the neighborhood to the nearby state highways as well as host to a lot of cut-through traffic. Many also use it to walk to and from Hyattsville Elementary School and St. Jerome Academy every day. The latter group would also have turned on 42nd Pl. and walked right past the front door and the garage of the small house shared by the two Welch households. It would seem an inauspicious place to hold two captives for any amount of time. It's doubtful that if they were kept there, it was without the knowledge of RAW's wife, mother and brother.

It is obvious that Lloyd's 1975 information is being taken seriously today. That is good. There is still a 500 pound gorilla question in the room as to why his statements and the story and sketch of the Long Haired Man (believed now by police to have been Lloyd Welch) was kept secret from the public for so long?

As I implied in my post from last night, I'm interested in why the people who interviewed LLW did not connect him to the sketch at the time they had him on hand in 1975. His test indicated deception and he was at the mall that day. If they had the sketch at the ready and did connect Welch to it, was that and the lie detector test result just not enough to pursue him? What makes it different now than back then? Did he just fall through the cracks back when the case was probably rife with leads and incoming tips and the cold case detectives are only now getting back to him?

The secrecy is important only insofar as if this information had been out there before 2013, perhaps someone else would have made the connection that MCPD didn't make back in 1975 and brought it to their attention once the leads dried up.

I'm really inclined to believe from the sequence of events here that there is really no secrecy and that this is simply a matter of Welch falling through the cracks and only being discovered by the cold case detectives going back through every scrap found in the case file.

I keep going back to TRM, why didn't he go to the police and clear his name if he had nothing to hide, is TRM an enigma, was TRM the uncle of LHM??

So the MCP likely looked right at LHM in the face nearly 40 years ago and the composite sketch took them 40 years to connect?

One point that hasn't been brought up is that the mugshot of LLW is from 1977, the Lyons abduction was in 1975. The resemblance was uncanny but it's possible LLW had shorter hair and was clean cut at the time of the 4/1/1975 interview.. I'm not letting law enforcement off the hook for this, but I'm sure not ready to crucify anyone either. I think we will have some very interesting details in the new year.

Didn't they have a composite sketch of what now appears to be LLW the day after the abduction?

If LW told LE he saw the girls getting into a car days after the adduction, why wasn't a description of the car/driver ever released to the general public, I had no idea that LE had interviewed LW days after the abduction, this is totally new to me, and why did LW tell a security guard and not the police, I just can't get over the time span of nearly 40 years to connect the Welsch family.

If LW told LE he saw the girls getting into a car days after the adduction, why wasn't a description of the car/driver ever released to the general public, I had no idea that LE had interviewed LW days after the abduction, this is totally new to me, and why did LW tell a security guard and not the police, I just can't get over the time span of nearly 40 years to connect the Welsch family.

LLW said he went to Wheaton Plaza and told a security guard, but that does not mean that actually happened! That was just his story to police after he heard about the $7,000 reward being offered on 1 April 1975. I believe that LLW did not act alone, his uncle, Dick Welch, probably was involved. I think the uncle was wearing HIS security guard uniform that day, and hopefully as things progress, we will learn more details about the abduction, sexual assaults, murder, and burial of the two girls. Hoping more citizens come forward with any info that could piece this together and reveal the truth.

These poor girls, the only thing that gives me comfort is that they weren't alone when these monsters stole their innocence and lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l