Lowe's Pulls Ads From American Muslim Time Slot

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now who is twisting words or misquoting?

Perhaps we should BOTH stop?
:waitasec:

What have I said that offended you? Or, are you just assuming to know what's in my mind?

Your posts haven't offended me per se. It's just frustrating to be (inadvertently) misrepresented, particularly on a sensitive topic.

Here's what you wrote:

To say people are not rational for believing the Bible is just as bigoted and intolerant as anything else in this thread.

I did not say people who take a leap of faith are "not rational". I said the leap of faith itself is not a rational belief. Big difference.

I know that faith can be a great force for good in the lives of individuals and in society as a whole. But when people start confusing faith with reason, somehow we always end up counting bodies.

In another post, I said something about your faith offending mine. It does so only when you project it into the political sphere and start denying civil rights to people based on a 3,000-year-old book. My point was primarily why is it only some people's beliefs that we are required to respect, when those beliefs invariably conflict with the beliefs of others?

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=691467

Lowe's stands firm on 'All-American Muslim' ad pullout despite 200,000-signature petition

Several clergy members descended on Lowe's Mooresville, N.C., headquarters Tuesday morning, armed with the petition, and while the hourlong meeting with Lowe's executives was amicable, the company was unbowed by the request.

Lowe's decided last month to pull its advertising from the TLC series, which follows Muslim-American families in Dearborn, Mich. Though the company's decision was made amid a campaign against the series by the conservative group the Florida Family Association -- which urged Lowe's to yank its support -- Lowe's has adamantly denied that pressure from the FFA had anything to do with its choice.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/237225/188/Petition-presented-to-Lowes-over-pulling-of-ads

"Our decision was based not on the show itself, not the content at all. It was based on the controversy that had emerged around the program itself," Lowe's spokeswoman Chris Ahearn said.

Religious leaders say they believed Lowe's pulled the ads after pressure from an anti-Muslim extremist group.

But after Lowe's executives unexpectedly invited the religious leaders in to talk on Tuesday, the pastors say they have a better understanding of the company's decision making.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/lowes-deni...itioners-reinstate-advertising-005502182.html

"We're surprised at how much happened and how quickly it happened in the context of an advertising decision," Lowe's vice president of marketing Tom Lamb tells the paper.

Lamb characterizes the pull as a routine business decision and one that was not made under pressure of evangelical Christian group, the Florida Family Association (FFA).

"The decision was absolutely not, despite what's been reported in the media, influenced by any one group," Lamb tells the paper.

According to the company, the All-American Muslim promo time was part of a bulk ad buy, though they understood the show following Muslim residents of Dearborn, Mich. could be included. He also says the decision to pull the ads was made on Dec. 5 shortly after their social media team identified negative comments on the show that morning. The company says Lowe’s CEO Robert Niblock received the initial email from the FFA later that same afternoon.

Lowe's spokesperson Chris Ahearn says that the company responded to the FFA with a form letter explaining the ads had already been pulled. She also says that decisions to pull commercial spots from shows that are considered controversial are made perhaps 8-10 times a year. The company declined to name other shows it has pulled its advertising from.

***bolding mine

I doubt He weeps over ad space.

JMO though.

Exactly. Jesus has other things to worry about besides ad space.

Indeed. Perhaps someone should give the Florida Family Association a heads-up. Particularly at this time of year. I should think their time would be better spent on other, far more worthy endeavors.

I doubt He weeps over ad space.

JMO though.

No, he weeps over the hypocrisy and unkindness perpetrated in his name.

I believe he is appalled by your attitudes about Christmas and non-Christians.

And since I believe it, you must respect it.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/237225/188/Petition-presented-to-Lowes-over-pulling-of-ads

"Our decision was based not on the show itself, not the content at all. It was based on the controversy that had emerged around the program itself," Lowe's spokeswoman Chris Ahearn said.

Religious leaders say they believed Lowe's pulled the ads after pressure from an anti-Muslim extremist group.

But after Lowe's executives unexpectedly invited the religious leaders in to talk on Tuesday, the pastors say they have a better understanding of the company's decision making.

Hahaha! Since when do advertisers shy away from controversy? This show probably has far more viewers since Lowe's so publicly chopped their ads.

They invited "religious leaders" in to speak with them? How big of them. Better late than never, I suppose.

They can attempt to spin this any way they want to. But their decision still stands and their pathetic effort to diminish their reasons for pulling their ads SHOULD fall on deaf ears.

I guess it's easier to just believe the sensationalized media/blogs huh?
Especially if it feeds into what one wants to believe.

The people who met with them say they now understand why. I'm thinking they would be a better judge than us since they have first hand knowledge.

JMO

No, he weeps over the hypocrisy and unkindness perpetrated in his name.

I believe he is appalled by your attitudes about Christmas and non-Christians.

And since I believe it, you must respect it.

Why would you even care what he weeps about? His words are nothing more than great literature in your opinion right?

I guess it's easier to just believe the sensationalized media/blogs huh?
Especially if it feeds into what one wants to believe.

The people who met with them say they now understand why. I'm thinking they would be a better judge than us since they have first hand knowledge.

JMO

If Lowe's had made their decision privately (and objectively) there would never have been any need for them to PUBLICLY meet with Muslim leaders.

IMO, those leaders have been given the shaft. But they won't rock the boat because that will lead only to more derision.

If Lowe's had made their decision privately (and objectively) there would never have been any need for them to PUBLICLY meet with Muslim leaders.

IMO, those leaders have been given the shaft. But they won't rock the boat because that will lead only to more derision.

It wasn't only Muslim leaders. There were leaders from many faiths that met with Lowes.

I'm not sure they didn't make their decision privately or objectively.
Who broke the story?

ETA: from one of my links a few posts up:

The contingency included the Rev. Russ Dean of Park Road Baptist Church, the Rev. Jay Leach of the Unitarian Universalist Church, and other representatives of the interfaith Mecklenburg Ministries, which is based in Charlotte, N.C.

And, Lowes didn't make the meeting public. Those who wanted to meet with them gathered a petition and met with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jboo1119