MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Coast Guard joins search for missing Gloucester woman

7B6BUH644VAFPB3ISTUAJDZCFE.JPG

Gloucester Police and Coast Guard crews are searching for Abbie Flynn, 60, who was last seen near Farrington Avenue in Gloucester on Sunday, Feb. 2.

Police asked the public to report any sightings in a Facebook post around 10 p.m. Sunday. They said her disappearance was not suspicious.

At around 1:20 Monday morning, the U.S. Coast Guard said crews from the Gloucester Station and Air Station Cape Cod were helping police in the search.

The area where Abbie was last seen is near Gloucester Harbor: Google Maps

Gloucester Police Department (Official)

USCGNortheast on Twitter

How strange..when I click on the link it sends me to this:
Search continues for missing Gloucester woman who is known to be avid hiker
which states they are continuing to search. :confused:
:p It was published very early this morning. Looks like they've changed the headline and added to the article.

And, what they've added sounds a bit off, IMO. o_O

[...]

Abbie Flynn told her son around 4 p.m. Sunday that she might go for a walk before hosting a Super Bowl party at 6 p.m., according to Gloucester Police Chief Edward G. Conley.

When two of her guests arrived for the party, they noticed that Flynn wasn’t home and they contacted the Gloucester Police Department.

Conley says there was evidence that showed she had been at home and had prepared for the party.

[...]

Crews are looking near the water and wooded areas because Flynn is said to be a wildlife enthusiast.

Her cellphone was located in her home but she may have taken a jacket.

[...]

Im really worried about this woman. I hope she is found and she is o.k. I have been following another missing woman from mass. It just seems odd to have two women roughly the same age go missing. I pray for both families.

Noting:

"The U.S. Coast Guard has had 47-foot boats out in the water searching off of Brace Cove. It was an area that Abbey was known to frequent," Conley said.

Neighbors said Flynn is married with a couple of older children and is an avid hiker and outdoor enthusiast. ...

"It's usual. On the neighborhood chat site, nobody seems to know what to make of it," neighbor FY said. "You know, this is my route when I walk so it's kind of sketching me out."

Brace Cove: Google Maps

FEB 3, 2020
Missing woman was supposed to host Super Bowl party, police say
Flynn was hosting a Super Bowl party at her home on Saint Louis Street...

Flynn's husband was in Texas and is returning to Massachusetts, and her children are away at college, WCVB has learned.
  • Lives on Saint Louis
  • Last seen 4:30 p.m. on Farrington
  • Crews are looking in the water off Brace Cove
  • Google Maps
Steve Cooper on Twitter
Police:Abbie Flynn left her house in Gloucester without her phone saying she was going for a walk..police have her cell phone now #7news

2:36 PM · Feb 3, 2020

Last edited:
FEB 4, 2020
Police continue search for missing Gloucester woman | Boston.com
[...]

As of Tuesday morning, the water and air searches had been suspended, according to a police spokesperson, but the search remains ongoing.

“Right now, there’s no indication of foul play,” Conley said Monday. “Right now, we’re working primarily under the theory that she did what she said she was going to do, which was take a walk, go for a walk, and perhaps either got lost or had a medical incident or something that rendered her incapacitated. And she hopefully is hunkered down somewhere and we just have to find her.”

FEB 4, 2020
Chief: More than 80 officers searched from Dog Bar to Straitsmouth for woman
[...]

The team who searched for the 59-year-old Gloucester resident included more than 80 police personnel, the Gloucester Fire Department and Harbormaster, the Rockport Harbormaster, State Police Helicopter Air Wing, Coast Guard, and the North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council (NEMLEC).

[...]

Conley explained that the search for Flynn began around 7 Sunday evening, an hour after her Super Bowl guests reported the Saint Louis Avenue resident missing. The expanse of the operation only grew from there.

By 9 that night, Gloucester received backup from the State Police Air Wing, whose personnel scanned the shoreline and wooded areas around Eastern Point and Farrington Avenue with thermal imagery cameras.

[...]

The night's search included several canine units scouting until 3 Monday morning and then resumed at 8 a.m.

[...]

"We also canvassed the neighborhood and spoke with every homeowner that we could get in touch with who has exterior cameras and viewed that footage," he said. "We received consent to search all of the homes adjacent to Abbie's home and we did that with help of her neighbors."

[...]

Photojournalist and landscape designer KS wrote on her website that she had spoken with Gloucester police Detective Steven Mizzoni on Monday to report suspicious activity on her walk at Niles Pond around the time Flynn went missing.

[...]

Police have responded to reports of suspicious activity around the area that Flynn went missing and have no reason to believe that they are related to the case.

"We have no indication that there was foul play," Conley emphasized. "Doesn't mean that the probability is zero, it just means that there is absolutely no indication of it."

[...]

Hi all,

I’m a reader of Websleuths but haven’t ever posted. This case caught my eye because I’m from this general area and as a fellow photographer/nature lover know the area in which is vanished VERY well.

It is not a particularly isolated area, homes are close enough, although it is isolated in that it’s on a point out into the Atlantic Ocean. It’s a very wealthy neighborhood with year-round locals knowing each other well, but many houses are seasonally vacant.

The terrain can be very rocky and dangerous in some places, and there is ocean on three sides plus a pond (which was mostly frozen when I was there a couple of weeks ago).

It wouldn’t be impossible for someone to fall off the rocks at Eastern Point or into the pond (Niles Pond) if they went out on the ice. There are also some other inhospitable, rocky areas. The roads in and out are narrow and one-way in some places.

I hope this gives people a better picture of the area.

I find it strange that someone having a party who was also a photographer wouldn’t bring their phone out with them. But it could just be an unfortunate coincidence that she forgot to grab it.

Happy to answer questions about the general area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back