MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I did read upthread where someone reported her scent was lost (by search dogs) at the end of her driveway. Cannot find the news article stating that, however.

This article is fairly recent and does provide some info about here disappearance, the effort made in searching for her, and her love of photography. This could definitely be a reason for her being out on a short walk, to grab some quick photos on what was reported to be a decent day weather wise. She may have been drawn to the water for just those reasons and then slipped in. Personally, I can't come up with any other realistic possibilities. JMO

2:30 PM UPDATE: Avid photographer missing after preparing Super Bowl party

ETA, article is dated Feb 2020, but reposted Dec 2021, perhaps with additional info/opinion.

I did read upthread where someone reported her scent was lost (by search dogs) at the end of her driveway. Cannot find the news article stating that, however.

This article is fairly recent and does provide some info about here disappearance, the effort made in searching for her, and her love of photography. This could definitely be a reason for her being out on a short walk, to grab some quick photos on what was reported to be a decent day weather wise. She may have been drawn to the water for just those reasons and then slipped in. Personally, I can't come up with any other realistic possibilities. JMO

2:30 PM UPDATE: Avid photographer missing after preparing Super Bowl party

ETA, article is dated Feb 2020, but reposted Dec 2021, perhaps with additional info/opinion.
I thought I remembered the dogs tracking her scent to the end of the driveway only also but I am not sure it is factual. Her road is a narrow one and would not have a lot of traffic so I cannot imagine why, if true, that her scent ended at the end of the driveway. Did she get into a car ? I guess we really don’t have much info to go on. As far as taking pics - I believe she left both her camera and phone at home. it sounded to me like she was fitting in a quick stroll around the block before her guests arrived. Not a lot of time to go on a longer adventure. Also I find it curious that none of her clothing has been found - she had on reportedly iirc, a red down jacket jeans and llbean boots. Surprised they have not surfaced.

RBBM
Woman preparing to host Super Bowl party at Massachusetts home disappears after going out for a walk

Abbie Flynn, 59, of Gloucester, Massachusetts, was last heard from on Sunday, February 2, 2020, when she had a phone conversation with her son who was away at college. She had told him she was might go for a walk in the area of Farrington Avenue before her guests were supposed to arrive for a Super Bowl party. Abbie has brown hair and was last seen wearing a blue puffy jacket. The Gloucester Police Department is investigating.

“They started searching right away,” Brian said. “We understand what authorities have done for us has been spectacular. We’re lucky to have them searching for Abbie.”

The search covered many paths and wooded areas where Abbie went missing, along with a search of the coastline.

Abbie is described as being 5’5” tall, approximately 200 pounds and has brown hair. She was possibly wearing a navy blue L.L. Bean puffer jacket, L.L. Bean boots, blue jeans and a flannel shirt.

I still think of Abbie a lot. Right now, I am 50/50 on accidental death and foul play. For accidental death, I would think if she accidentally fell in the ocean, it may be difficult or impossible to locate her, even after a short period of time. She likely may never be found if that was her fate.

However, as she lived near there and probably frequented the coastline, would she be more knowledgeable about staying back from the ledge and very aware of the potential dangers of getting too close? That's one thing that makes me think that may not be what happened. Of course, if it was foul play - by whom and why? I guess it could be a crime of opportunity, but it sounds like she had nothing on her so I can't imagine robbery was the primary motive. If it was personal, I would assume most people close to her - bothy physically speaking and emotionally speaking - would have been investigated closely.

I'm at a loss, but I wish we could get answers and provide closure to her family.

This story seems a bit off to me. Most people I know of who are hosting a party are attending to last minute details- not going for a walk??
I agree. And not only that, take a walk without my phone when I'm expecting people to come over? I would have my phone with me to be able to answer last minute questions on what to bring, someone being late/early or whatever.

With no signs of a struggle and leaving essentials behind I suspect either she wasn't in the right state of mind and wandered into the forest to succumb to the elements or someone took her.

I lived by the shore in CT for years and when you walk the shore every day you have a very healthy respect for the force of the ocean and don't mess with it. I can't see her picking through the boulders on the shore at almost sundown in February. Not unless she was in mental distress at the time.

I have been following another missing woman from mass. It just seems odd to have two women roughly the same age go missing.

Do you mean Sandra Crispo? I'm following her case too.
A similar age, she also left home for a short walk, having just prepared some food for her grandkids, and also left her dog at home. She has also never been seen again, and there are very few clues or movement in the case.

MA - MA - Sandra Crispo, 54, Hanson, 7 August 2019

Do you mean Sandra Crispo? I'm following her case too.
A similar age, she also left home for a short walk, having just prepared some food for her grandkids, and also left her dog at home. She has also never been seen again, and there are very few clues or movement in the case.

MA - MA - Sandra Crispo, 54, Hanson, 7 August 2019

Apparently quite a different family dynamic in the two cases though. I don't see these two disappearances as connected.

I wonder who those first guests were...

News articles have described them as "guests," "friends," and in one very early article I think they were called "a neighbor couple" but that's MOO since a lot of these older articles are now archived by the news stations. I'm any case, they raised the alarm about her being missing very quickly.

In this article, a different neighbor of Abbie's describes how the friends were knocking on his door to try to find any information about where she might have gone: 2:30 PM UPDATE: Avid photographer missing after preparing Super Bowl party

It says that his daughter called him to tell him that people knocking "were asking for him," so I took it that these friends also know this other neighbor quoted in the article, since when his daughter answered the door they didn't just ask her if she knew anything and move on, they were asking for him specifically. So this also points to the guests being known to others on the street in addition to Abbie.

DEC 5, 2022

Abbie Flynn

abbie_flynn.jpg

Abbie Flynn was preparing to host a Super Bowl party at her home in Gloucester, Massachusetts, on Sunday, February 22, 2020. But when guests arrived, their host was nowhere to be found. The 59-year-old was last heard from earlier that day, when she had a phone conversation with her son who was away at college. She told him she might go for a walk in the area of Farrington Avenue before her guests were supposed to arrive for the party. Authorities conducted an extensive search of the area with the assistance of the Gloucester Fire Department, U.S. Coast Guard Station Gloucester, Mass State Police, Mass Environmental Police, Gloucester Harbormaster, Rockport Harbormaster and the North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council. The search covered many paths and wooded areas where Abbie might have walked, along with a search of the coastline. In 2022, the Gloucester Police Department told Dateline they were unable to provide an update on Abbie's case, though it is still an open investigation. Abbie is described as being 5’5”, approximately 200 lbs., with brown hair. She was possibly wearing a navy blue L.L. Bean puffer jacket, L.L. Bean boots, blue jeans and a flannel shirt. If anyone has any information on Abbie’s whereabouts, please call the Gloucester Police Department at 978-283-1212.

My thoughts after all this time, are that she decided to go for a quick walk to clear her head before all of the guests arrived. The most likely answer appears to be a slip-and-fall scenario. There are so many instances of this, even among highly-trained and highly-experienced hikers.

There was a case in 2013 about a couple going out on the rocks in that area and being swept out.

1/26/2023 — A body has been found washed up on a Marblehead beach. Authorities are working to make an identification. A woman walking her dog made the discovery. The body appeared to have been in the water for a “significant” amount of time. No further information at this time 1/27/2023.

1/26/2023 — A body has been found washed up on a Marblehead beach. Authorities are working to make an identification. A woman walking her dog made the discovery. The body appeared to have been in the water for a “significant” amount of time. No further information at this time 1/27/2023.
I cannot at all imagine it's poor Gloucester. Been years. Nor Sandra Crispo as also thought to be left way out to sea from Hanson, MA. She's going on four to five years. sickening. Not Ana as DNA was found on saw and things. Sounds like a 'whole body' though not at all recognizable prob. Hope they are able to ID though for peace of mind for families.

Yeah I heard this story on the way to work this morning and my mind immediately went to Abbie. Article below says they found a scarf which I think would have been long ago washed away if this was Abbie.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back