GUILTY MA - Colleen Ritzer, 24, brutally murdered, Danvers, 22 Oct 2013 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was wearing gloves, then IMO this was premeditated. It also sounds like he brought a change of clothes. Scary that a 14-year old could plan such a brutal crime. Luckily he didn't realize the school had so many cameras.

to be honest, we don't know if he didn't know about all the surveillance cameras or if he knew where every single one was.

I read that earlier and it caught my eye. Oddly phrased. Why would a math teacher have any reason to have known that a brand new math student could draw? Maybe she was just being a little funny/sarcastic because he was doodling instead of working on classwork?

jmo

It sounds like instead of being harsh about him doodling she thought the best thing was to compliment him about him being able to draw.

She really sounds like a lovely.. sweet and caring teacher.

IMO

It sounds like instead of being harsh about him doodling she thought the best thing was to compliment him about him being able to draw.

She really sounds like a lovely.. sweet and caring teacher.

IMO

Yes, I think she was trying to get on his good side and help him out. Also, by pointing out his strengths, she could use that to help teach him math using graphs and other visuals.

I'm very disturbed about this case. I agree his mental health needs to be evaluated. I wonder what was in his "file" r.e. previous behaviors, suspensions, etc. He smashed her phone so he went through her things and also grabbed her wallet for the credit card. So strange that he used her credit card when that would trace back to him yet he destroys her phone seemingly to not be traceable to him. ???? Bizarro IMO.

There have been cases where men have murdered women in public bathrooms. These women were complete strangers to them. There was no disagreement beforehand. It was just a random, vicious killing. Maybe this kid is just a predator, who started very young? There are so many cases where the motive just seems to rape and kill, and maybe that's what happened here. It's possible that during the tutoring, she did/said something even unconsciously that set him off (definitely not excusing it...but crazies could misinterpret eye contact as being some signal)?

From the several links excerpted and quoted below, I've put together a time line.
Pls feel free to suggest corrections (if you post correction on the thread, pls alert me by PM too, so I can change and add it on the thread.)

Esp. welcome = suggestions for the line in red below.

TIMELINE
Oct 22 Tues.
pm
_?_ *** ……….. During math class, CR asks PC to stay after class
3:15 *....….…... PC is seen sitting in CR’s classrm; teacher standing at computer, per student
3:30***…………PC followed CR in faculty bathroom
# ………….in regular student girls’ bathroom
# …………CR is punched a couple times, killed w. box cutter PC brought into school
_?_ # ……….. CR’s body is placed in recycling bin, rolled outside
# …………Body is tossed from bin, ~20 ft into woods behind h/s athletic fields
# …………bin is pushed over embankment ~100 ft from body
…………__________? can anyone at W/S help? _________
_?_ * ……….. PC is seen by teammates running from practice field
4:00 *...............PC misses soccer practice
6:00 *...............PC misses team dinner
_?_ #…………..PC at Wendy’s
6:30 *...............PC is seen at movie theater near home
***……….. Hollywood Hits Cinema , showing “Blue Jasmine”
~7:34***……….LE receives rpt CR missing
9:25*................LE tweet re PC as missing person
___
Late ***…….….LE discovered body behind school
Oct 23 Wed.
am
~12:00 **………LE found CR’s body close to school
12:30*………….PC is found by LE, walking North on SB Rte.1, in Topsfield

* pub. Th Oct 24 http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/10/24/mystery-lingers-over-student-motive-alleged-slaying-teacher-counselors-available-school/GzCbAIOtxQIe3EAabTrBGP/story.html?rss_id=Top-GNP
" Cambria Cloutier, another 14-year-old freshman, who was also in the class, said she walked by Ritzer’s classroom at about 3:15 pm. “She was standing at her computer and he was just sitting there,” Cloutier said. “It just looked normal, like any other day.”
"Chism was last seen around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at a movie theater near his house. Danvers police issued a tweet, seeking him as a missing child at 9:25 p.m. Chism was found by police in neighboring Topsfield at 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, walking north on the southbound side of Route 1."
"Several of Chism’s soccer teammates said he had mysteriously vanished Tuesday afternoon, missing the team practice at 4 p.m. and a team dinner at 6. Teammates last saw the youth running away from the practice field, breathlessly telling them he had something he needed to take care of."
BBM
** pub. Th. Oct 24 http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/14-year-old-teacher-bathroom-slashed-throat-found-dead-woods-report-article-1.1495047
“Investigators found Ritzer’s body shortly after midnight while combing through the area around the school after they found blood in the bathroom, Essex District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said.”

*** pub. Th. Oct 24 http://abcnews.go.com/US/phillip-chisms-grandmother-feels-sadness-regret-slain-teacher/story?id=20665538
“Danvers High School teacher Colleen Ritzer offered
suspect Philip Chism after-school math tutoring on the day of her murder, a student told ABC News today.
"She just asked him to stay after for help because he needed it," student Rania Rhaedaoui said.
Rhaedaoui was sitting two seats away from Chism, 14, who she said had remained quiet in math class and shunned group work in class, preferring to work alone.
"He just didn't raise his hand once, didn't ask any questions," she said.
On Tuesday, while his classmates completed worksheets, Rhaedaoui said Chism instead chose to draw in his notebook.
Ms. Ritzer noticed, but instead of getting mad at the student for being off task, Rhaedaoui said she expressed interest in the fact Chism could draw.
"She connected with all of her students, so she knew if something was wrong or if you needed help with anything," Rhaedaoui said…..”
“After he allegedly killed Ritzer, police said the teen went to the Hollywood Hits Cinema, where he reportedly watched Woody Allen's ‘Blue Jasmine.’"
“Police discovered Ritzer's blood in a second-floor bathroom late Tuesday night before her body was found behind the school, Essex County District Attorney Jonathan Blodgett said Wednesday. Chism was arrested early Wednesday morning.”
“Investigators say Chism killed Ritzer around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday in the school's faculty bathroom.
and that surveillance cameras show him using what appears to be a recycling bin to move her body to the woods behind the school.”
“Chism was reported missing at 5:34 p.m. by a family member, according to the district attorney's office. A few hours later, Danvers Police received a report that Ritzer, who lived in Andover, had not returned home from work and was not answering her cell phone.”

# pub. Th. Oct 24 http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/24/justice/massachusetts-danvers-school-killing/
“With a box cutter the suspect, 14-year-old
Philip Chism, had brought into school, a source close to the investigation says.”
“What happened to her body afterward? It was stashed in a recycling bin, rolled outside, then dumped about 20 feet into woods behind the northeastern Massachusetts high school's athletic fields, adds another source. It was left there -- not buried, not even covered.
“And where did the alleged killer go afterward? After changing his clothes, he went to a Wendy's fast food restaurant and a movie, sources say, …”
“…. Ritzer had gone to a regular students' girls bathroom on Danver High's second floor, as someone was in the locked faculty bathroom, a source close to the investigation said.”
“This bathroom wasn't locked. Chism allegedly followed her in.”
“There, Ritzer was punched a few times before being killed with a box cutter around 3:30 p.m., said a source.”
Her body went into a recycling bin, then outside the school where it was tossed. Authorities eventually found a bin that apparently had been thrown off an embankment some 100 feet away from Ritzer's body, a source said.”

This link http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2013/images/10/23/danvers-teen-arrest-complaint.pdf

includes:
- Criminal Complaint
- Application for Criminal complaint.
- Statement of Facts, in support of Application for Criminal Complaint
- Record of Booking
- Criminal Docket (this, the last page shows “next event” Probable Cause Hearing at 9:00am November 22, 2013.

Link was showin in http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/24/justice/massachusetts-danvers-school-killing/

Yes, I think she was trying to get on his good side and help him out. Also, by pointing out his strengths, she could use that to help teach him math using graphs and other visuals.

I'm very disturbed about this case. I agree his mental health needs to be evaluated. I wonder what was in his "file" r.e. previous behaviors, suspensions, etc. He smashed her phone so he went through her things and also grabbed her wallet for the credit card. So strange that he used her credit card when that would trace back to him yet he destroys her phone seemingly to not be traceable to him. ???? Bizarro IMO.

Just a comment on the latter part of your post.

Kids seem to be able to plan something in the near future, but they appear to be lost AFTER it happens. In other words, the movie and walking along the highway makes sense as in, "Now what do I do?"

I wonder how much of this he really planned, since it was SHE who requested he stay after school. Did he carry a box cutter on a daily basis? Sure would be interesting to know his TN history better.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/2...fter-allegedly-killing-beloved-massachusetts/
Chism had also been reported missing Tuesday after he didn’t return from school. The Herald reported that Chism went to a movie theater to watch the 4:30 p.m. showing of Woody Allen’s new movie, “Blue Jasmine” after he allegedly killed his teacher. The manager from Hollywood Hits theater in Danvers told the paper Chism “blended right in.”

Odd choice of a movie for a 14-year-old boy. Woody Allen movies don't usually draw too many teens. Since the theatre was a multiplex, must have been chosen for the timing.

I wonder if he smashed the cell phones because he had sent her a text of some sort, perhaps inappropriate. He may have thought he could destroy the message by smashing her phone.

There have been cases where men have murdered women in public bathrooms. These women were complete strangers to them. There was no disagreement beforehand. It was just a random, vicious killing. Maybe this kid is just a predator, who started very young? There are so many cases where the motive just seems to rape and kill, and maybe that's what happened here. It's possible that during the tutoring, she did/said something even unconsciously that set him off (definitely not excusing it...but crazies could misinterpret eye contact as being some signal)?

Box cutter and gloves. I'm thinking sociopath.

I can't get the video to play, but I wouldn't make too much of this. First, it's 12 years old. Second, it's common in any divorce for there to be boilerplate or overblown allegations against one or both parents. Also, that his time with his children was "restricted" may or may not mean anything depending on what "restricted" specifically means in that case. Almost all fathers of toddlers (which the boy would have been at the time) is "restricted" in custody proceedings. It would only be significant to me if he was restricted to supervised visitation. Looks like the news trying to find an "oh wow" angle.

jmo

I can't get the video to play, but I wouldn't make too much of this. First, it's 12 years old. Second, it's common in any divorce for there to be boilerplate or overblown allegations against one or both parents. Also, that his time with his children was "restricted" may or may not mean anything depending on what "restricted" specifically means in that case. Almost all fathers of toddlers (which the boy would have been at the time) is "restricted" in custody proceedings. It would only be significant to me if he was restricted to supervised visitation. Looks like the news trying to find an "oh wow" angle.

jmo

you may be right. just figured I'd share fwiw. true or not, I'm sure the defense will try to play up an potential life-altering history of this nature they possibly can, so time will tell.

you may be right. just figured I'd share fwiw. true or not, I'm sure the defense will try to play up an potential life-altering history of this nature they possibly can, so time will tell.

oh no, by all means, thanks for sharing. My post wasn't directed toward you or your pov about the link at all!

It is believed that he used a craft knife stolen from an art classroom to attack the math teacher after forcing her into a second-floor bathroom.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-infatuated-Colleen-Ritzer.html#ixzz2ihNVynOV

This doesn't sound planned at all to me, but hasty spur of the moment kill and dump, with no clue what to do afterwards.

He ruined the rest of his life in seconds and if only he had taken the short time needed to think things out he would have realized this is no answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kezzx