GUILTY MA - Colleen Ritzer, 24, brutally murdered, Danvers, 22 Oct 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@lauracrimaldi
Strong words Colleen Ritzer's family: "We are devastated and feel betrayed with Judge Lowy's inability to give 3 consecutive life sentences"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allison manningVerified account ‏@allymanning 1h1 hour ago Defense already said they'd have no comment after the sentencing. #PhilipChism's mom, Diana, made this statement pic.twitter.com/OmqjJMcb78

CcKjfUnUUAAwSl7.jpg

This is the result of the sentencing guidelines that the family is complaining about. If an offender is under 16 they cannot be sentenced to life without parole. They must be eligible for parole in 25 years. That doesn't mean they will get parole then, but they must have the opportunity.

It is sad that now rape and robbery will get a juvenile 40 years but murder allows them to apply for parole in 25 years.

Yup it's crazy.

When is the next trial date date, on the attack and attempted murder of the lady worker in the Juvenile Facility ( sorry I do not know exactly wha her title was or what she did)?

Will the same Judge and lawyers represent him and the state? Thanks.

Per the last paragraph in this story the next hearing is in Suffolk County on March 23.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...murder-case/L0CVw0XUdtIbQPsrFiQvFM/story.html

Philip D. Chism was sentenced Friday to serve at least 40 years in state prison for the rape and murder of Colleen E. Ritzer, a sentence imposed shortly after Ritzer’s parents denounced the teenager as someone “pure evil’’ who deserved to be executed.

Essex Superior Court Judge David Lowy sentenced the 17-year-old Chism for the attack on Ritzer inside a second-floor girls’ bathroom at Danvers High School on Oct. 22, 2013. Chism raped, slashed, and strangled Ritzer before moving her body to nearby woods, where he violated her with a tree branch.

Peggie Ritzer said the family felt “devastated and betrayed” by the judge’s decision.

The judge's hands are tied by the Supreme Court; he gave the maximum he could. Someone needs to explain this to her.

Just wondering, why is the sentence for rape and robbery longer than the murder sentence? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

It actually IS the other way around. The sentence he received for the murder is Life in Prison.
This is the misunderstanding. Being eligible for parole after 25 years does not lessen the sentence. It MAY lessen the amount of time he serves which we will not know for 25 years.

It actually IS the other way around. The sentence he received for the murder is Life in Prison.
This is the misunderstanding. Being eligible for parole after 25 years does not lessen the sentence. It MAY lessen the amount of time he serves which we will not know for 25 years.

Thank you. But the 40 year sentence for rape and murder does not have the possibility of parole? So even if he gets paroled after 25 years for the murder sentence he would still have to serve another 15 years, do I understand this correct?

The judge's hands are tied by the Supreme Court; he gave the maximum he could. Someone needs to explain this to her.

I thought there was a chance the judge could have given his the sentences and had him serve them consecutively instead of concurrently.

I thought there was a chance the judge could have given his the sentences and had him serve them consecutively instead of concurrently.

court constitutionally obligated to parole date no more than 25 yrs

I don't think the Ritzer family was objecting to the possibility of parole but they wanted the sentences be served consecutively. That's how I understood it. Like, even if he is paroled after 25 years he would then start his 40 years sentence for the rape and robbery - altogether 65 years. I think that's what they wanted.

Actually the State guideline is Parole after 15 to 25 years. Lowy imposed the maximum of Life with eligibility after 25 years.

With the concurrent sentencing the robbery is 25 but Lowy tacked on an additional 15 and the rape is 40, again Maximum.

This means that the rape and robbery are 40 years plus 1 day on each.

IMO So even if either the robbery or rape is overturned and the appeal is granted he will still serve 40 years minimum.

IMO I do not see the robbery or rape being overturned and I am confident that Chism will never be paroled.

MOO

Let's not forget that a prisoner who is paroled can still be returned to prison to serve out the original sentence at any time for violating the terms of his parole. If Chism is paroled but still serving time inside it will be much easier to know if he violates, for instance breaking prison rules.

MOO

I think 40 years is fair in this case. A lot can happen in four decades. Four decades ago from now was 1976. Seems like an eternity.

40 yrs in not nearly long enough. Colleen Ritzer didn't get to fulfill her life's dreams, marriage, children, grandchildren if that's what she chose for her life. Four decades seems like an eternity to you? This gave her the eternity of death, and a vicious, horrific death. I hope his decades in prison is filled with misery & terror.:moo:

Remember everyone, he may get parole after so many years for this crime, but he still has another attempted murder and attack trial to go through so time from will be added on to this sentence....and he has to behave and take his medication. All that adds up.

If he's convicted of the attempted murder/rape that he allegedly committed while awaiting trial for this crime, is there a sentencing guideline (or a law) that requires that that sentence be consecutive with his other sentences, or could a judge also order that that sentence be served concurrently? Anyone know?

Actually the State guideline is Parole after 15 to 25 years. Lowy imposed the maximum of Life with eligibility after 25 years.

With the concurrent sentencing the robbery is 25 but Lowy tacked on an additional 15 and the rape is 40, again Maximum.

This means that the rape and robbery are 40 years plus 1 day on each.

IMO So even if either the robbery or rape is overturned and the appeal is granted he will still serve 40 years minimum.

IMO I do not see the robbery or rape being overturned and I am confident that Chism will never be paroled.

MOO

I totally missed the life sentence for her murder. Is that correct? I thought there were two sentences, each for 40 years -- there is a third for life? That makes me feel better. I think parole eligibility after 25 years for a youthful offender is appropriate, since he has to earn it, convince a parole board, and he was only 14 when the crime happened and there is a tiny sliver of eensy weensy bit of a chance that he could change over the years, but a max of 40 years for this crime is very hard for me to accept.

I totally missed the life sentence for her murder. Is that correct? I thought there were two sentences, each for 40 years -- there is a third for life? That makes me feel better. I think parole eligibility after 25 years for a youthful offender is appropriate, since he has to earn it, convince a parole board, and he was only 14 when the crime happened and there is a tiny sliver of eensy weensy bit of a chance that he could change over the years, but a max of 40 years for this crime is very hard for me to accept.

3 sentences handed down;

Rape = 40 years +1 day
Robbery = 40 years + 1 day
Murder = Life in Prison with eligibility of parole after 25 years.
All concurrent.

3 sentences handed down;

Rape = 40 years +1 day
Robbery = 40 years + 1 day
Murder = Life in Prison with eligibility of parole after 25 years.
All concurrent.

Thank you. Can I ask once more, if I got this right now - even if he is paroled on the murder charge after 25 years he would still serve out the 40 years for rape and murder, right (= 15 more years)? No parole there, right?

Thank you Steleheart, for explaining patiently :)

"The family of a high school math teacher who was raped and murdered by one of her students in 2013 on school grounds is suing the suburban Boston district for failing to take adequate safety measures that they say may have prevented her death.

Philip Chism, now 17, was 14 and in ninth grade on October 22, 2013, when he followed his algebra teacher, Colleen Ritzer, 24, stabbed her at least 16 times before taking her body away in a recycling bin."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wn-district-wrongful-death.html#ixzz4Nwe2I09U

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrissy321
Back