GUILTY MA - Colleen Ritzer, 24, brutally murdered, Danvers, 22 Oct 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 49s50 seconds ago We are in another recess. It appears Closings in #PhilipChism trial being delayed till Monday. But waiting on final word from judge

Wow, that must be SOME intestinal illness if on a Thursday she doesn't know if she's coming in on MONDAY!
I can't believe she'd be so bold as to malinger in front of Lowly, so she must be pretty sick. I would bet stress related. I wonder why Lowly is worried about what to tell the jurors? Can't he say that one of the attorneys is truly ill?

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 3m3 minutes ago
BREAKING: Closing Statements in #PhilipChism murder trial delayed until Monday b/c of illness of def atty Regan.

Nicole ‏@LadyJustice2188 16m16 minutes ago
Closings delayed until Monday in #PhilipChism trial. Defense attorney Regan is ill all of a sudden #seriously pic.twitter.com/ayriCUDOnu
CV49V6nWcAAVBpX.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help myself. That little side eyeing dog is so cute.

Wow, that must be SOME intestinal illness if on a Thursday she doesn't know if she's coming in on MONDAY!
I can't believe she'd be so bold as to malinger in front of Lowly, so she must be pretty sick. I would bet stress related. I wonder why Lowly is worried about what to tell the jurors? Can't he say that one of the attorneys is truly ill?

I know, I'm wondering about that too. If I was a juror I would be worried that I might get something now, since judge is going to say "someone" in the court has a contagious disease.

Regan may have IBS or similar and knows how long it takes her to get over it. She'll want to be on top of her game for the closing.

BBM
Maybe he's afraid the jurors think like me..... it's another stall tactic by the defense to aid in the jury losing focus, or they're praying the scans will miraculously be allowed, lol.

Lowy has to be very careful not to prejudice the jury, so he might be able to say someone is ill, but not identify who that is. In fairness to Regan, her co-counsel is the one that said no one knew if she would return on Monday - Regan only stated she could not be there the next day. She truly must be very ill, as most attorneys I know would gut it out if they could, being this close to the end. Not to be flippant, but I wonder if she ate Chipotle for lunch.

I'm wondering if Regan will have to bring in a Doctor's note (at minimum) or something to justify an absence of this length?

She can't just call in to work like it's "no biggie" - and saunter back in on Monday - can she? :dunno: I hope not.

This is affecting a whole lot of people! UGH!

:tantrum:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt the defense wants the jurors to begin deliberations at lunchtime on a Friday, I think the 'Friday verdict' is a real concern for them. Too great a risk of the jurors wanting it over before the weekend and convict on all counts, better for the defense if they have days in a row to hash it out and maybe a few are swayed he could be mentally ill and hang the jury (as I don't think they expect a unanimous NGI verdict, in hours or days). Not saying Regan isn't truly sick, but this does work to their perceived benefit.

Lowy has to be very careful not to prejudice the jury, so he might be able to say someone is ill, but not identify who that is. In fairness to Regan, her co-counsel is the one that said no one knew if she would return on Monday - Regan only stated she could not be there the next day. She truly must be very ill, as most attorneys I know would gut it out if they could, being this close to the end. Not to be flippant, but I wonder if she ate Chipotle for lunch.

Heh! As much as I was angered by Regan's late disclosures and as much as I've found her to be the anti-charisma in court, I feel sort of bad for speculating. Not bad enough to agree with Jacct, though, that it's probably something like IBS/IBD. Fits with "stress related" and would definitely keep one from being able to be in front of a jury. Bless her heart.

Possibly AnaTeresa, but imo, she may be suffering from the debilitating effects of philchismism. A very rare disease limited to defense attorneys' coming to the realization of the writing being on the wall.. jmo

There is an intestinal 'bug' going around. It lasts about 2 days, real nasty. It just hits real fast and hard.

Possibly AnaTeresa, but imo, she may be suffering from the debilitating effects of philchismism. A very rare disease limited to defense attorneys' coming to the realization of the writing being on the wall.. jmo

I thought it was a little more like she's sick at the thought that she blew the little chance she had. By trying to pull too many fast ones, and getting caught with her shorts down so to speak..

Okay my post is gone...so to repeat it...there is a very bad intestinal 'bug' going around. It hits fast and hard. My friend had it and she had to close her business for 2 days! Her husband got it shortly after. Anyone near the attorney is likely to get it. It kind of goes like this....stomach growls and makes noise, stomach hurts, water in and water out, and some get a fever. A restroom just for the sick person is a must, just put a mattress on the floor....that came from my friend. That is saying it as nice as I can think of it. So it is very possible that attorney got sick quickly. Hope no one else gets it.

:seeya: skigirl

BBM

But but but... she has an excuse for malingering. Her brain volume is small, so that makes her malinger!!!!

On Monday, she'll submit her own scans and apologize to the judge then submit her own actions as proof that smaller volumes = malingering

:biggrin:

Okay my post is gone...so to repeat it...there is a very bad intestinal 'bug' going around. It hits fast and hard. My friend had it and she had to close her business for 2 days! Her husband got it shortly after. Anyone near the attorney is likely to get it. It kind of goes like this....stomach growls and makes noise, stomach hurts, water in and water out, and some get a fever. A restroom just for the sick person is a must, just put a mattress on the floor....that came from my friend. That is saying it as nice as I can think of it. So it is very possible that attorney got sick quickly. Hope no one else gets it.

wow. That sounds exactly like what my daughter just had. She thought it was food poisoning at first because it came on so fast. But the friends she went out to eat with didn't get sick at all. She had it bad for 2 days--then it was over and done with.

:seeya: skigirl

BBM

But but but... she has an excuse for malingering. Her brain volume is small, so that makes her malinger!!!!

On Monday, she'll submit her own scans and apologize to the judge then submit her own actions as proof that smaller volumes = malingering

:biggrin:

Just because she has diminished capacity for jurisprudence, it's not very nice to make fun of her.

As much as I disagree with some of her trial tactics, Regan is doing a thankless job. Being a public defender is difficult, and you often have no respect for the very necessary job that you do. I can't think of one attorney who would disrupt a trial like this unless they were truly ill - she has spent hours and months preparing for this and wrangling what has likely been an extremely difficult client on a very bad case. While I disagreed with her tactics, the truth is that she didn't blow the case and is worrying about it now. There was never much of a case to begin with. The only things she has wiggle room on are the robbery, the rape charge, and perhaps getting a lesser degree of murder.

I find it unfair to make fun of the woman for doing her job, and doing it vigorously. Too often, you hear of public defenders who have become burnt out, and urge any and all clients to take a deal. Regan has been fully engaged in this case, while I think criticism of her trial tactics is fair, making fun of her for doing her job or becoming ill just doesn't seem right to me. :twocents:

I agree. As much as I disagree with some of her trial tactics, Regan is doing a thankless job. Being a public defender is difficult, and you often have no respect for the very necessary job that you do. I can't think of one attorney who would disrupt a trial like this unless they were truly ill - she has spent hours and months preparing for this and wrangling what has likely been an extremely difficult client on a very bad case. While I disagreed with her tactics, the truth is that she didn't blow the case and is worrying about it now. There was never much of a case to begin with. The only things she has wiggle room on are the robbery, the rape charge, and perhaps getting a lesser degree of murder.

I find it unfair to make fun of the woman for doing her job, and doing it vigorously. Too often, you hear of public defenders who have become burnt out, and urge any and all clients to take a deal. Regan has been fully engaged in this case, while I think criticism of her trial tactics is fair, making fun of her for doing her job or becoming ill just doesn't seem right to me. :twocents:

Sorry but sometime humor is the only way to get through some of this s#!&. I know she's only doing her job. The main thing I was joking about was the seemingly underhanded tricks she pulled. I didn't want to offend anyone. It's just the way I cope when stressed..

Does your friend live in the area? Unless she lives in the area, it's not relevant that your friend was sick. Also, the point has already been made that Regan isn't the only lawyer on the defense team so they could proceed without her. Based on the defense's tactics, I trust them about as far as I can throw them. They've put the victim's family through hell with their unnecessary shenanigans. They should have moved forward without Regan.

Does your friend live in the area? Unless she lives in the area, it's not relevant that your friend was sick. Also, the point has already been made that Regan isn't the only lawyer on the defense team so they could proceed without her. Based on the defense's tactics, I trust them about as far as I can throw them. They've put the victim's family through hell with their unnecessary shenanigans. They should have moved forward without Regan.

From the trials I have seen when there is a problem that makes one of the attorneys unable to attend trial the Judge will delay it for a few days until they can come back whether one is sick or there has been a death in the family etc..

I have seen trials delayed a few days when the DA or ADA became sick or for some other reason and also delayed if something happened to one of the defense attorneys. Is she the lead attorney on this case? I think the Judge is being cautious to make sure they don't give the defense an appellate issue on appeal. Is she the one who will do the closing argument for the defense?

I think the Judge knows what is going on and whether it is legitimate or not and will act accordingly. The Judge seems to believe there is an emergency issue with this defense attorney that requires a small delay.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knewborn96
Back