GUILTY MA - Colleen Ritzer, 24, brutally murdered, Danvers, 22 Oct 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does your friend live in the area? Unless she lives in the area, it's not relevant that your friend was sick. Also, the point has already been made that Regan isn't the only lawyer on the defense team so they could proceed without her. Based on the defense's tactics, I trust them about as far as I can throw them. They've put the victim's family through hell with their unnecessary shenanigans. They should have moved forward without Regan.

Regan is lead counsel. No court would proceed without lead counsel unless there was very good reason. Just because there is a second chair, it doesn't mean that attorney is prepared to lead the case. Second chair and even third chair attorneys are very common for cases of this magnitude, but they have very different jobs at trial.

Further, while I have disagreed with the defense attorney's trial tactics, I wouldn't call them "unnecessary shenanigans." A defense attorney's job is to vigorously advocate for their client. It is not to defer to the alleged victim or victim's family. A trial was going to be hell for Colleen's family no matter what occurred. The defense here has been far more respectful of Colleen than I've seen in other cases. Most of their arguments have revolved around procedural issues, timing and evidence issues, and presenting their mental health defense. While the trial may be hell for them, none of that can be laid at Regan's feet. I could understand that sentiment more if this was a rape trial where the defense attorney was blaming the victim, but that's not been an issue here.

I understand tensions are high and we all want justice for Colleen. But I think that can be done without resorting to mocking Regan or wanting Chism's constitutional rights violated. :twocents:

As much as I disagree with some of her trial tactics, Regan is doing a thankless job. Being a public defender is difficult, and you often have no respect for the very necessary job that you do. I can't think of one attorney who would disrupt a trial like this unless they were truly ill - she has spent hours and months preparing for this and wrangling what has likely been an extremely difficult client on a very bad case. While I disagreed with her tactics, the truth is that she didn't blow the case and is worrying about it now. There was never much of a case to begin with. The only things she has wiggle room on are the robbery, the rape charge, and perhaps getting a lesser degree of murder.

I find it unfair to make fun of the woman for doing her job, and doing it vigorously. Too often, you hear of public defenders who have become burnt out, and urge any and all clients to take a deal. Regan has been fully engaged in this case, while I think criticism of her trial tactics is fair, making fun of her for doing her job or becoming ill just doesn't seem right to me. :twocents:

Regan has done the best she can with the evidence and client she has. She has done a good job of raising reasonable doubt on the unnatural rape. I think the jury is going to have a difficult time deciding if CR was alive when that rape happened

I'm interested to see how she addresses the robbery charge in her closing. She has to somehow give the jury the law on what constitutes robbery in MA to convince them PC didn't commit a robbery. Theft yes but not a robbery so they can find him not guilty of that charge.

I think she is going to have a difficult time convincing the jury that PC was insane at the time of the crime though. The last expert that walked the jury through the videos and pointed out how aware and in control PC was, showing how he had criminal intent and awareness of the wrongfulness of his actions at every step is going to be hard to overcome.

Any "mocking" of Regan she brought on herself. There's a fine line between a "vigorous" defense and a dishonest one and IMO she has crossed that line.

Any "mocking" of Regan she brought on herself. There's a fine line between a "vigorous" defense and a dishonest one and IMO she has crossed that line.

How so? It's been established that the "raw data" debacle was not her fault. And while I agree with most here that the insanity defence was a long shot, I suspect that many jurors would rightly wonder what makes a kid with no history of violence transform seemingly overnight into a sadistic rapist and murderer -- given that, focusing on mental breakdown of some kind is generally consonant with the facts of the case. What good is a meek defence of a shocking crime, especially when a plea deal was unlikely?

My dad, a retired human rights lawyer and judge, contests friends' parking tickets like he's prosecuting at the Hague. For him, the adversarial process works best when all three trial parties are completely committed.

s

The defense's eleventh hour shenanigans and IMO that's exactly what they are: dishonest activity or maneuvering. And if Regan's the lead attorney then that's all on her. Further, I've never wondered why PC committed this crime. He left a note explaining his actions. He is a vicious and sadistic rapist/killer who hates women. It's just who he is. But he is not criminally insane. He knew it was wrong and he made extensive efforts to cover his tracks. If he ever gets out of prison, he'll do it again. This pattern has already been confirmed as he attacked another woman while he was in custody. He's not a serial parking violator, he's a brutal, sexually motivated killer.

That's another good point, and the reason for timely disclosure by both sides - the ability to set up rebuttal witnesses or have independent tests conducted. Had this gone according to the rules, the defense would have disclosed, there would have been a hearing prior to trial about the evidence coming in/out, and the prosecution may have set up their own tests, which would have then been disclosed to the defense and presented at trial.

ETA: I feel like I'm spamming the Board, sorry folks. Having difficulty being able to quote multiple posts at one time, so I'm stuck doing this for now. Sorry!

bbm - Absolutely not, AnaTeresa! Each and every post of yours is very much appreciated, whether quoted all together or separately :)

(Coming in late again, had again no Internet yesterday. Still catching up.)

I'm glad Regan put up such a fight and that the judge didn't stop her. If she hadn't wouldn't have PC later grounds for inadequate counsel (or whatever it's called)?

I think that Ms. Regan has done a fine job providing a vigorous defense for PC. I don't agree with her tactics. I suggest she should have been more forthcoming and timely with the Prosecution and Judge about what direction she wanted to take the trial defense of PC and her potential witnesses. This is America - everyone should have a vigorous defense when being tried for murder, even evil people.

The Horrible She Deserved It Defense

For those of you who think Ms. Regan's approach was hard on Ms. Ritzer's family, I suggest she could have been much harder on their feelings. To my knowledge, Ms. Ritzer's character never came up during the trial. Since PC had already confessed to the hideous murder and rape(s) when Regan got the case, she could have tried to gain some sympathy and mitigation of his sentences by claiming him as a depressed victim of a predator teacher. A repulsive defense, an outrageous defense-Yes, but one that may have worked out better than brain volumes and psycho-nothings for reducing his sentences. Ms. Regan's actions may appear to be those of an overly tactical attorney, but she did not act unethically and cause needless hurt to the victim's family, the way some lawyers might have if they perceived a benefit for their client.

I think that Ms. Regan has done a fine job providing a vigorous defense for PC. I don't agree with her tactics. I suggest she should have been more forthcoming and timely with the Prosecution and Judge about what direction she wanted to take the trial defense of PC and her potential witnesses. This is America - everyone should have a vigorous defense when being tried for murder, even evil people.

The Horrible She Deserved It Defense

For those of you who think Ms. Regan's approach was hard on Ms. Ritzer's family, I suggest she could have been much harder on their feelings. To my knowledge, Ms. Ritzer's character never came up during the trial. Since PC had already confessed to the hideous murder and rape(s) when Regan got the case, she could have tried to gain some sympathy and mitigation of his sentences by claiming him as a depressed victim of a predator teacher. A repulsive defense, an outrageous defense-Yes, but one that may have worked out better than brain volumes and psycho-nothings for reducing his sentences. Ms. Regan's actions may appear to be those of an overly tactical attorney, but she did not act unethically and cause needless hurt to the victim's family, the way some lawyers might have if they perceived a benefit for their client.

I don't think that blaming Colleen Ritzer would have been a good or successful strategy. There is nothing to suggest that CR did anything wrong, and IMHO, juries really don't like it when a killer's defense is that a blameless victim was somehow to blame.

I also think it was highly unethical of Regan to withhold information that by law should have been disclosed earlier than it was. I agree that our system can only function properly if everyone gets a vigorous defense, but "vigorous" is not the same thing as not playing by the rules. The prosecution (that is, the people) deserve a fair trial, too.

allison manningVerified account ‏@allymanning 3m3 minutes ago
Courtroom is packed today. Lots of family and friends of Colleen Ritzer, court observers.

allison manningVerified account ‏@allymanning 50s51 seconds ago
Two Danvers teachers who testified, Todd Butterworth & Sarah Giaquinta, are here. They searched for Ritzer when she disappeared

allison manningVerified account ‏@allymanning 2m2 minutes ago
Evidence being brought back in, including the stick used to violate Ritzer in the woods.

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 2m2 minutes ago
Defense atty Denise Regan, who suffered stomach virus Thursday, is here.

DA Jonathan Blodgett is in the courtroom as well.

Jill Harmacinski ‏@EagleTribJill 1m1 minute ago
#PhilipChism mom had arrived, Danvers School Supt Lisa Dana, Danvers police, state troopers in gallery awaiting Closings

Julie Manganis ‏@SNJulieManganis 1m1 minute ago
Defense attorneys are going into lockup to see #PhilipChism

allison manningVerified account ‏@allymanning 48s48 seconds ago
All attorneys are here. No #PhilipChism yet.

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 53s54 seconds ago
Extra chairs are being brought into the courtroom.

Ethan Hartley ‏@Ehartley_DH_BC 39s39 seconds ago Salem, MA
#PhilipChism finally seated. Wearing black suit, white shirt and his glasses.

Jill Harmacinski ‏@EagleTribJill 43s43 seconds ago
Judge Lowy takes the bench

allison manningVerified account ‏@allymanning 56s56 seconds ago
ADA says her closing will be 45 minutes. Defense attorney Regan says hers will go 30-45.

Live stream up

Ethan Hartley ‏@Ehartley_DH_BC 44s45 seconds ago Salem, MA
Court in session. Both closings will take ~45 mins. Judge Lowy said jurors will not be deciding guilt of #PhilipChism stealing credit cards

Jill Harmacinski ‏@EagleTribJill 38s38 seconds ago
Lowy says conduct of family members has "been exemplary"

Lowy: Reminding media on rules of the court. This is a daily instruction/reminder.

allison manningVerified account ‏@allymanning 55s56 seconds ago
Lowy notes how well the Ritzer family has held it together during "the most difficult of circumstances."

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 48s48 seconds ago
Jury just entered courtroom. They are well dressed, grim faced. None looked at #PhilipChism when they walked in.

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 1m1 minute ago
Lowy: Armed robbery of Colleen Ritzer's credit cards is removed from the charges.

Laura Crimaldi ‏@lauracrimaldi 1m1 minute ago
Judge Lowy tells jurors that they are not to make a decision on whether #PhilipChism robbed Colleen Ritzer of credit cards

Julie Manganis ‏@SNJulieManganis 2m2 minutes ago
The jury is here and closings will begin shortly. Judge Lowy is giving them some preliminary instructions

Defense lawyer Denise Regan goes first

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 55s55 seconds ago
Regan #PhilipChism, a kind young man, committed this act while in throes of a serious mental illness.

Ethan Hartley ‏@Ehartley_DH_BC 51s52 seconds ago Salem, MA
Regan begins: #PhilipChism did the acts and "took a wonderful person from this world" but did it "in the throes of a serious mental illness"

Sera Congi ‏@seracongi 1m1 minute ago
Regan: "Evidence is clear, #PhilipChism has suffered from psychotic disorder from when he was young"

Jill Harmacinski ‏@EagleTribJill 1m1 minute ago
Regan talking about Dudley experience, how he treats mentally ill teens

Rupa Shenoy ‏@RupaShenoy 1m1 minute ago Beverly, MA
Regan reminding jury of defense expert's credentials, bolstering his conclusion #PhilipChism has psychosis.

Jill Harmacinski ‏@EagleTribJill 2m2 minutes ago
Says this is something prosecution witness Dr Robert Kinscherff does not have

Regan: "The evidence is clear #PhilipChism suffered a psychotic disorder." Points to testimony of 3 psychiatrists, including Dudley.

Regan: Dr Dudley brings years of experience dealing with severely mentally ill teenagers.

Regan And Dr. Dudley found #PhilipChism not criminally responsible.

Laura Crimaldi ‏@lauracrimaldi 2m2 minutes ago
#PhilipChism appears to be watching his lawyer Denise Regan as she delivers her closing arguments

Jill Harmacinski ‏@EagleTribJill 3m3 minutes ago
Now talking about Dr Yael Dvir, who testified about children with psychosis, the focus of her career

"I suggest to you she knows what she's talking about," Regan says

Regan now talks about Dr Jackson, who diagnosed #PhilipChism with psychosis

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 3m3 minutes ago
Regan: Dr. Jackson said severely mentally ill teens don't have the best judgement.

Regan: Putting aside delusions, commands, Dr. Jackson saw social withdrawal other symptoms, and treated #PhilipChism

Jackson saw symptoms in #PhilipChism and treated with anti psychotic med, there was a marked change in him she says

Rupa Shenoy ‏@RupaShenoy 3m3 minutes ago Salem, MA
Severely mentally ill teenagers don't have the best judgement, Regan says, and #PhilipChism changed after he was medicated.

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 4m4 minutes ago
Regan: Dr. Dudley interviewed #PhilipChism seven times over a period of months.

Regan Dr. Dudley spoke to #PhilipChism about his childhood, observed his moods, listened carefully about hallucinations.

#PhilipChism told Dudley he heard voices, Dudley had a nuanced approach, thorough interviews

Regan: Dr. Dudley: didn't take #PhilipChism at his word. But talked to other students, his family, reviewed records

Dr. Jackson backed up Dudley's opinion, Regan said. Saw symptoms of psychosis and treated #PhilipChism with an antipsychotic.

Christina Hager ‏@HagerWBZ 3m3 minutes ago
Defense: 3 doctors confirmed #PhilipChism's mental illness, not only his claims of command hallucinations, but family history, withdrawal.

Rupa Shenoy ‏@RupaShenoy 2m2 minutes ago Salem, MA
Dr Dudley found #PhilipChism likely had early onset schizophrenia. His family has history of mental illness, Regan says.

Regan: "How did this happen?" #PhilipChism was born into a family with severe mental illness. Aunt, grandmother.

Julie Manganis ‏@SNJulieManganis 2m2 minutes ago
Regan: "symptoms fester under the surface for years until there is an acute episode."

Regan: #PhilipChism started hearing voices at a young age. Why don't children get help? They don't know better

She says a child knows no other reality. Tells jurors Dr Dvir told them about this

Regan: How did #PhilipChism function in TN? Children distract selves w/sports, music, whatever can distract them from voices.

Regan: Dr. Dudley said children also use a support system. #PhilipChism had great support system in TN.

Regan says people from TN who testified loved #PhilipChism very much. He had a community, a lot knew and respected him

Regan: Unfortunately the move to MA was catastrophic for #PhilipChism. He lost support system. Was all alone.

Regan: Stress of move from TN to MA can not be underestimated. Stress can trigger acute psychotic event. And it did.

#PhilipChism mom did best she could but she had 2 other children too

Rupa Shenoy ‏@RupaShenoy 2m2 minutes ago Salem, MA #PhilipChism was an African American boy in a predominantly white school, Regan says. This is the first time she's mentioning that aspect.

Christina Hager ‏@HagerWBZ 2m2 minutes ago
#PhilipChism defense: "he was an unusually tall African American boy in a predominantly white school who had nowhere to hide."

Regan: on day of terrible event, #PhilipChism was not himself. Witnesses say he was withdrawn, aggravated, mumbling

Regan: When #PhilipChism followed ColleenRitzer to bathroom, he was not himself. He was responding to commands in his head.

Regan: #PhilipChism was no longer the kind intelligent boy.

Regan #PhilipChism was unable to conform his behavior to the law.

Ethan Hartley ‏@Ehartley_DH_BC 3m3 minutes ago Salem, MA
Regan: "When #PhilipChism followed Ms. Ritzer into the bathroom, he was not himself...he did not choose to do this."

Regan repeatedly talks about defense expert witness Dr Richard Dudley who says #PhilipChism is psychotic

Regan: Dr. Dudley found #PhilipChism was under command of acute psychotic episode, responding to hallucinations.

Regan: #PhilipChism was not ordinary 14 yr old boy. He was 14 yr old boy suffering aggressive mental illness.

Rupa Shenoy ‏@RupaShenoy 2m2 minutes ago Salem, MA Use your common sense, Regan tells jury. "What other than an overpowering illness could cause #PhilipChism to perform this act?"

Regan: "He was responding to the terrible command hallucinations in his head. He didn't choose to do this."

Regan: Commonwealth may argue he did on history test, he was ok. But Dr Dudley said intelligence remains.

Laurel J. SweetVerified account ‏@Laurel_Sweet 3m3 minutes ago
Regan says prosecutors want jury to apply a "made-for-TV stereotype mental illness" to #PhilipChism.

Regan: Truth of the matter, children have a base level, then an acute episode. That episode can last hours or weeks.

Regan talking about acute psychotic episode and how it ebbs and flows

Regan: Commonwealth may argue that #PhilipChism malingered on tests. Use your common sense.

Fact that #PhilipChism behaved in police custody doesn't add much to this discussion, this is severely mentally ill teenager

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 4m4 minutes ago
Regan: The fact #PhilipChism exaggerates symptoms, doesn't mean he's not mentally ill.

Regan: #PhilipChism 's behavior after he left Ritzer in the bathroom, shows disorganized behavior associated with mental illness

Regan: Why was he going place to place, w/bathroom covered in blood? #fox25 Anyone could have walked into bathroom.

Regan: IT would have made sense for him to leave the scene

Regan: After leaving Ms Ritzer in woods, he is back in school,, covered in blood, makes no sense.

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 2m2 minutes ago Regan You visited the scene. You know it's not far in the woods. Anyone walking in there would see something wrong

Regan Cross country team was practicing, he could have easily been discovered

Regan on #PhilipChism's actions post attack: This was not the clandestine actions that the Commonwealth would have you believe.

Ethan Hartley ‏@Ehartley_DH_BC 2m2 minutes ago Salem, MA
"This was not a calculated hiding of a crime," continues Regan. It was very disorganized thought.

Regan: #PhilipChism used Ritzer's credit cards to go to a movie. Person in right mind would know they can trace cards.

Regan: Topsfield PD said #PhilipChism was not right when they saw him on side of road

Regan: Where was #PhilipChism going that time of night? Made no sense. Cops said he had flat affect

Regan: #PhilipChism was displaying negative affects of mental disorder

Regan: aiming now at DA's witnesses

Regan: Dr. Hebben took it upon herself to say #PhilipChism was a liar. She was biased. She talked to him once

Regan: Dr Hebben gave him seven biased tests. She went in w/ an agenda.

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 1m1 minute ago Regan: the MFast test not for adolescents. She used it anyway. Not fair, and not right.

Regan: Dr. Hebben had an agenda, she fulfilled it, she wasn't backing down.

Regan: Dr Kinscherff's tests were biased, too

Regan: Dr. K's explanation about why #PhilipChism did these things makes no sense.

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 26s26 seconds ago
Regan: Dr K missed the boat, didn't consider how young #PhilipChism was when he did this.

allison manningVerified account ‏@allymanning 34s34 seconds ago
Regan: Dr. K's explanation of why #PhilipChism did this makes no sense. He said Chism was in extreme distress

Bob Ward Fox25Verified account ‏@Bward3 48s49 seconds ago
Regan: How does it makes sense that the #PhilipChism did this? Makes sense only if he was suffering severe mental illness.

Regan: Dr. Kinscherff's explanation of why #PhilipChism killed Colleen Ritzer "makes no sense."

Regan: "Something more is going on and Dr. Kinscherff missed it."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member