MA MA - Deborah Quimby, 13, Townsend, 3 May 1977

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
one thing I noticed while searching this case today...not sure if this discrepancy was on this site or a site flushed out by Google...anyways...some sites say she told the two boys who last saw here that she "was running away"...and some sites only mention she left a note behind saying she was going to ride her bike to her grandmothers.....not sure which one is correct..or maybe both are?

I was familiar with both cases of Deborah Quimby & Judith Chartier since I'm from the area. Both girls have been missing for long time without being found. It's cold case for them as there's no new clue to look at.

Not sure if this connection has already been made but Judy viewig lived in west townsend on rte 119. She was a teacher at spaulding elem. Debbie quimbys mother was also a teacher. Viewig was murdered on 9-9-73. Her car was found the next day on turnpike road, someone had tried to dumb it in septic sludge. Another girl, Marcia tyman of auburndale was found on 10-16-1973. She was found at a rest stop on rte 2 in harvard. She had been stabbed more than sixty times. Viewig wAs stabbed numerous times in the chest. Here's something else I found interesting was on saunders rd in townsend a mother And her two children were murdered. That is also in west townsend and she was a pre school teacher.

Not sure if this connection has already been made but Judy viewig lived in west townsend on rte 119. She was a teacher at spaulding elem. Debbie quimbys mother was also a teacher. Viewig was murdered on 9-9-73. Her car was found the next day on turnpike road, someone had tried to dumb it in septic sludge. Another girl, Marcia tyman of auburndale was found on 10-16-1973. She was found at a rest stop on rte 2 in harvard. She had been stabbed more than sixty times. Viewig wAs stabbed numerous times in the chest. Here's something else I found interesting was on saunders rd in townsend a mother And her two children were murdered. That is also in west townsend and she was a pre school teacher.

Welcome to WS Sbh-thank you for this information. I had never heard any of it. Do they have suspects for these cases?

I read that the Fitchburg slayings, and the Aurburndale slayings they are pretty sure who did them, and said they are not connected. But this is the way I'm looking at it: Started in Townsend, 9-9-73, next was 2 young women in Fitchburg, then the fourth victim was abducted from Auburndale, but dumped in Harvard MA, at a rest stop on route 2. Sounds like the killer was doubling back, heading back to this area of Massachusetts. I think whoever killed Debbie, is the same person who killed these women. A friend of mines mother used to babysit Debbie when she was a child. Is there anything you could tell me, believe, that might help me try to figure this out. I'm going to email you from my private account. I have some things I'd like to share with just you at this time.

TY you for your thoughts on this-I look forward to hearing from you.

Believe, I did a story on four of these murders for New England Unsolved in 2008. The Saunders Rd murder I've never heard of.

As you probably know Judith Viewig's murderer was never found.

Jo-Anne Muldoon and Debra Ann Johnson, two roommates living in Fitchburg, were stabbed to death, most likely by an acquaintance of Muldoon. He had been harassing the girls and was later convicted of stabbing a different woman. LE doesn't have the hard evidence to back it up so the case remains open.

Marcia Tyman, an 18 year old nurse from Newton, was stabbed with a pen knife sixty times. She was dumped at a rest stop in Harvard on Route 2. The family is almost certain a particular coworker committed the crime, but he was never convicted and the case is open as well.

All of the murders occurred in September or October of 1973. http://newenglandunsolved.blogspot.com/2008/10/four-slayings-in-one-month-troubles.html

thanks HMG!!!! You are the go to for NE cases, for sure...

Ugh, truly horrible story I found out about the Saunders Rd. murder... a pregnant mother was raped and murdered and her two children were drowned by Daniel LaPlant. He received life in prison in 1988. I googled it and the story came right up.

I had never heard about that particular case as my research focuses mostly on unsolved cases.

The Saunders Road murder was a tragedy. My fiances grandmother lives across from Saunders Road, and right next to Miss Viewigs home. She was home, being 89 now, when all the murders took place. Scary reality.

There IS A POSSIBLE LINK between between this case and the cases of:

* Colleen Orsborn missing from Florida &
*Alicia Markovich missing from PA

There IS A POSSIBLE LINK between between this case and the cases of:

* Colleen Orsborn missing from Florida &
*Alicia Markovich missing from PA

What is the link???

What is the link???

In each of these cases, the family of each girl received an anonymous letter from somebody claiming to be the girl's murderer. The letters instructed the police to search a body of water near the spot where the girls vanished from. Police in each case did, but found no bodies. Each of these letters were postmarked in a small area in the state of New Hampshire a few years apart.

QUIMBY, vanished from Townsend MA in 1977. Anonymous letter received November 2002 postmarked Manchester, NH, and a second letter received exactly one year later in 2003 postmarked in Worcester, NH.

Colleen Orsborn, vanished in 1984 from Daytona Beach, FL. Anonymous letter received in 2001 postmarked in Manchester, NH.

Alicia Markovich, vanished in 1987 from Blairsville, PA. Anonymous letter received in 2000, postmarked in Bedford, NH.

These anonymous letters, are NOT a coincidence. There IS a link! Three girls, missing from 3 different states, over a 10 year period. Each case, a letter postmarked from the same area in NH tells police to dig near water. Police do dig, but find nothing. We are either dealing with a person that has been involved with these girls cases and is legitimate, or we are dealing with a very sick individual that somehow chose these 3 cases, and decided to taunt and torment the victims family members and police after years of the case being cold. Cases like that of these 3 girls may tend to generate whacko writers on anniversaries of murders when fresh articles are written about the victims, but these came at times that were not on the anniversaries of the girls going missing, and were not getting any special publicity.

I sorted thru dozens and dozens of cases of missing girls before establishing this link. The towns where the letters were postmarked, are VERY close to each other.

If you have not read about the ORSBORN or MARKOVICH cases, you should do so.

I appreciate the info and can see where you feel the relationships to be, BUT from my perspective this looks like someone choosing missing persons cases where there are bodies of water close by and writing anonymous letters in an attempt to insert themselves into the case....kind of like a mean spirited hoax.

I appreciate the info and can see where you feel the relationships to be, BUT from my perspective this looks like someone choosing missing persons cases where there are bodies of water close by and writing anonymous letters in an attempt to insert themselves into the case....kind of like a mean spirited hoax.

You are correct. It could be a case of a mean spirited hoaxer. Then again, how did he choose these 3 girls? They are so random, out of hundreds, or even thousands of missing girls, why these 3? There is nothing that seems to link them, other than the anonymous letters. 3 Different states, over a 10 year period. I feel it is worth checking out, at least letting the authorities know of the connection, and letting them decide how to pursue it.

Here are some cases which might be related to this case:

Debbie Spickler, 13, of Mystic, CT was visiting a relative in Vernon, CT when she disappeared from Henry Park on July 24, 1968.

Janice Pockett, 7, vanished in Tolland, CT on July 26, 1973.

Lisa White, 13, of Vernon, CT was last seen about the night of Nov. 1, 1974, along Route 83 in that town.

Susan Larosa abducted in 1975 from Vernon, CT found deceased a few years later south of I 84 in Vernon.

Stephanie Olisky, 15 East Windsor, CT 7/21/75 Found on Route 5 Critical Condition. Later dies. In East Windsor. Just two towns away from Vernon.

Angelo Puglisi, a Massachusetts child vanished in 1976

Maria Florence Anjiras Missing 12 Feb 1976 Norwalk, CT
Link
http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

Pattie Luce abducted and murdered from Vernon, CT (1977?) Found deceased in Marlborough.

Doreen Vincent, 12, disappeared June 15, 1988. Listed as an "endangered runaway,"

-----------------------
LINK to a related Websleuths thread:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5007
My husband who is famillar with the area says Marlboro is right up 86 to RT 20 from Vernon. It should be noted that vernon is also called Vernon/Rockville as they are 1 in the same basicly. I hope this info helps. IMO Janice is too young to be placed with these girls.

My husband who is famillar with the area says Marlboro is right up 86 to RT 20 from Vernon. It should be noted that vernon is also called Vernon/Rockville as they are 1 in the same basicly. I hope this info helps. IMO Janice is too young to be placed with these girls.

Thank you for taking the time to post on the thread! I know that for a number of years Deb's case has been grouped with some of the other disappearances. It is still an active investigation and most of the reports are sealed, so I am not certain on whether or not LE feels there is a link. My gut is no-My gut is that it was someone close to Debby or someone who knows of an accident that occurred and then panicked. JMO.

I have spent months on months researching this, I've made an attempt at talking to the townsend police department, and I drive down turnpike road almost everyday, this case really has been something that I do not think I will EVER rest on. I have my own opinions on who/what, but who knows how true it is.
I wish more than anything I could figure this out.

I have often wondered if Hadden Clark, a serial killer currently serving two life terms in Maryland, might have been responsible for some of the deaths and disappearances mentioned in my earlier post.

Hadden Clark was attending a Chef School in Connecticut or New York State in the early 1970's and it is known that he had relatives in the northeast. His two known victims in Maryland were Laura Hoteling, a young woman killed in the early 1990's and Michelle Dorr, age 6, who was murdered by Clark in 1986.

Clark's victims' ages were of a wide range, so I wouldn't necessarily exclude a possible link between these cases because of the victims' age differences. It is certainly a factor to consider, however.

Here is a link to the Websleuths thread on Clark in Cold Cases:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14941&highlight=hadden+clark

You know what always struck me about Hadden Clark, Richard? That he (seemed) to creepy crawl to kill. He was in and out of people's houses stealing stuff. I cannot wrap my brain around him possibly trying to lure someone off of a bicycle or out in the open...I think Melissa happened because she was so little and proved not to be a challenge. Even then he killed her in his own room.

Deb was sturdy and had older brothers. She was athletic. She would have been a challenge to take down IMO.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back