MA MA - Holly Piirainen, 10, Sturbridge, 5 Aug 1993

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, definitely.

That is the exact thing I heard. But I also read she never got there.

In the earliest accounts in multiple newspapers, written the day after her disappearance, there are references to a big, unfriendly dog. In one version, the brother ran home after seeing it. In another, she told him to go back because one of the dogs was unfriendly. There is a direct quote by the grandfather about it. That dog eventually disappears.

I never heard that about the vicious dog

I never heard that about the vicious dog
August 6, 1993

"However, Zachary became frightened by a different neighbor’s dog along the way and ran back to his grandparents" -- version 1, mentions the name of the collie dog neighbor. If this is true, police know where they separated on that street.

Version 2 - Edward Lemieux of Grafton, husband of Piirainen's grandmother, Maureen Lemieux, said the girl had visited often and knew the wooded territory around his Sturbridge summer home well. "I don't believe she's lost. She's a very streetwise kid," Lemieux said. The two children went for a short walk to see a nearby neighbor's horses and dogs, he said. Her brother got frightened when Piirainen told him one of the dogs was unfriendly and returned home, Lemieux said.

Last edited:
Interesting, her case, is a tough one because as my partner says "Its like $hit on a baby... its all over the place "

And LE is sitting on some.

Id Love to see maps of the area, how far she had to walk ETC

Interesting, her case, is a tough one because as my partner says "Its like $hit on a baby... its all over the place "

And LE is sitting on some.

Id Love to see maps of the area, how far she had to walk ETC
Yes.
Version 3 -

"She was last seen headed through woods to a neighbor's house to see a litter of puppies."

Only version I've seen where she's going into the woods, not just walking on the street. Probably wrong, but interesting.

Yes.
Version 3 -

"She was last seen headed through woods to a neighbor's house to see a litter of puppies."

Only version I've seen where she's going into the woods, not just walking on the street. Probably wrong, but interesting.

See Ive never heard she was walking through the woods, i always heard she walked down what amounted to a street to the house

See Ive never heard she was walking through the woods, i always heard she walked down what amounted to a street to the house
That's the only time I read it. Every other version has her walking down the street.

I think the woods option depends on how far she got after her brother turned back. The house with the puppies was at the end of South Shore to the left, technically on Allen Rd and facing Allen. I think there was a fence on the side she would have been walking on.

She's 10. She could have cut through the back somehow, maybe on a path to the barn? She could have possibly cut across the yard. Or she could have walked past the house to the end of South Shore with the intention of taking a left and walking to the front of the house. That seems least likely, plus the shoe was on South Shore Drive (according to a few accounts).

South Shore was dirt back then. So if she didn't do the adult thing and walk all the way to the end of Allen with the intention of taking a left, then a pedophile/killer would have had to be driving on Allen, look down the street at that exact moment, see her, turn onto a dirt road, somehow get her into the car/truck/van and then turn around on a dead end street without being seen.

Last edited:
That's the only time I read it. Every other version has her walking down the street.

I think the woods option depends on how far she got after her brother turned back. The house with the puppies was at the end of South Shore to the left, technically on Allen Rd and facing Allen. I think there was a fence on the side she would have been walking on.

She's 10. She could have cut through the back somehow, maybe on a path to the barn? She could have possibly cut across the yard. Or she could have walked past the house to the end of South Shore with the intention of taking a left and walking to the front of the house. That seems least likely, plus the shoe was on South Shore Drive (according to a few accounts).

South Shore was dirt back then. So if she didn't do the adult thing and walk all the way to the end of Allen with the intention of taking a left, then a pedophile/killer would have had to be driving on Allen, look down the street at that exact moment, see her, turn onto a dirt road, somehow get her into the car/truck/van and then turn around on a dead end street without being seen.

Its hard to picture the area, anyone know of any maps etc?

Below is a link to a news article about a guy that is awaiting trial for the kidnapping and murder of an 11 year old girl. He allegedly committed that crime 7 years prior to Holly's murder and 100 miles away. He was indicted on child *advertiser censored* charges. I would like to know where he has been since 1986?

Maine man accused in 1986 Connecticut killing indicted on child *advertiser censored* charge

Be interested to know if he ever lived or worked in the area where Holly was abducted at any point around that time

It appears he once lived on Manchester only 30 min away , and Rocky Hill 45 min away at one point but I cant find dates when he lived there

"Her battered body was found at 3:35 a.m. the next day, under a pile of dead foliage. A large rock had been placed on her chest. She’d been strangled and there had been ligatures on her wrists."

That is an extremely important factor , and heres why, abduction murderers of children for sexual purposes, have the highest probability of any offender type to become serial killers.

Though binding older victims may be necessary to control them, and child killers have a higher propensity to bind victims to begin with , binding of a victim primarily a young victim was found in almost all serial child murder cases.

The younger the victim, the less its about the need to actually control a victim, and more about the bondage aspect for the offender, therefore the presence of binding in a case involving an abducted child , theres a very good chance you are dealing with a serial offender.

Suspect in 1986 rape and killing of 11-year-old Kathleen Flynn in Norwalk waives extradition in Maine, is headed back to Connecticut

Last edited:
Be interested to know if he ever lived or worked in the area where Holly was abducted at any point around that time

It appears he once lived on Manchester only 30 min away , and Rocky Hill 45 min away at one point but I cant find dates when he lived there

"Her battered body was found at 3:35 a.m. the next day, under a pile of dead foliage. A large rock had been placed on her chest. She’d been strangled and there had been ligatures on her wrists."

That is an extremely important factor , and heres why, abduction murderers of children for sexual purposes, have the highest probability of any offender type to become serial killers.

Though binding older victims may be necessary to control them, and child killers have a higher propensity to bind victims to begin with , binding of a victim primarily a young victim was found in almost all serial child murder cases.

The younger the victim, the less its about the need to actually control a victim, and more about the bondage aspect for the offender, therefore the presence of binding in a case involving an abducted child , theres a very good chance you are dealing with a serial offender.

Suspect in 1986 rape and killing of 11-year-old Kathleen Flynn in Norwalk waives extradition in Maine, is headed back to Connecticut

I would think the odds are very high that this is not the only person this guy has killed. Maybe not the first and most definitely no the last. I just can't see a guy getting away with it at 21 years old and then just stopping. One thing that jumped out at me though. The victim in the rape that occurred prior to the murder "subsequently dated him because she felt sorry for him"? I am hoping that my reading comprehension is wrong or they wrote that wrong.

I would think the odds are very high that this is not the only person this guy has killed. Maybe not the first and most definitely no the last. I just can't see a guy getting away with it at 21 years old and then just stopping. One thing that jumped out at me though. The victim in the rape that occurred prior to the murder "subsequently dated him because she felt sorry for him"? I am hoping that my reading comprehension is wrong or they wrote that wrong.

No youre not wrong, the types that commit these crimes are usually real oddballs, with few friends, therefore someone feeling "sorry" for them wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

And I agree, of all the criminal types Sexual child murderers, primarily those who abduct their victims, have the highest likelihood of becoming serial offenders.

Add the bondage evidence, the likelihood that he is, or was becoming a serial predator goes up even higher.

They mean age of an abduction offender, is usually around 27.8 years old, this guy would be 27 at the time of Hollys disappearance.

It is however possible he didnt re-offend after, we do know even serial killers stop for certain reasons.

But id be interested in talking to him if im investigating Hollys murder.

I found the below information. It looks like this guy was incarcerated when Holly was murdered.

"Id
. ¶ 29. The Connecticut Department of Corrections records confirmed that Mr. Karun had been an inmate from May 23, 1988 to May 24, 1988, from June 20, 1988 to January 11, 1994, from July 23, 1996 to July 24, 1996 and from January 13, 1997 to June 27, 2000. Id. ¶ 30."

I found the below information. It looks like this guy was incarcerated when Holly was murdered.

"Id
. ¶ 29. The Connecticut Department of Corrections records confirmed that Mr. Karun had been an inmate from May 23, 1988 to May 24, 1988, from June 20, 1988 to January 11, 1994, from July 23, 1996 to July 24, 1996 and from January 13, 1997 to June 27, 2000. Id. ¶ 30."

Nice digging

Hi! I have been following this case since it first happened, but not really on websleuths, as when it happened, the internet was hardly a thing, so I would follow by reading the paper. Have they ever released a cause of death? Could the dog have been chasing her and someone hit her? Maybe they were drunk, high, had a warrant, something made them not stop? Maybe she was injured and they were worried she would ID them, so they finished the job? Those areas are so remote, so it would make sense that this is a local person, familiar with the area. Did anything come of the body that was exhumed? I hope that her killer and Molly’s killer are caught soon. Such a small area, with so many predators.

Hi! I have been following this case since it first happened, but not really on websleuths, as when it happened, the internet was hardly a thing, so I would follow by reading the paper. Have they ever released a cause of death? Could the dog have been chasing her and someone hit her? Maybe they were drunk, high, had a warrant, something made them not stop? Maybe she was injured and they were worried she would ID them, so they finished the job? Those areas are so remote, so it would make sense that this is a local person, familiar with the area. Did anything come of the body that was exhumed? I hope that her killer and Molly’s killer are caught soon. Such a small area, with so many predators.

According to this article they have not even told her parents what the cause of death was: Investigation continues into unsolved murder of Holly Piirainen

However, with regard to the "cover up a car accident scenario" it doesn't appear that is currently how investigators are viewing this crime. If you read the website which was created to direct tips to the Hampden County Sheriff investigator
in charge of the case, it's clear that their theory is that this was a predatory abduction for the purpose of sexual abuse. Dedicated Detectives | Massachusetts State Police | Holly Piirainen

Has anyone been able to track down the name of the body exhumed in connection to Holly's murder? I have read that the letter retrieved may be too damaged, but I haven't seen anything about his name. Thanks in advance!

I wonder if Donald Mars could be connected to this case? He was offending in the early 90’s and was recently arrested in the murder of Betty Lou Zukowski.

Both Holly and Betty were 10 years old. Both cases happen in Hampden county, MA

Although Betty was murdered in 1966 and Holly was murdered in 1993, Donald Mars was still offending in 1995? Thoughts?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back