MA MA - Joan Risch, 30, Lincoln, 24 Oct 1961

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A back door for a house makes good design sense as well but, there is no back door.

There is no door from the garage to the breezeway entrance.

Another view:
A back door for a house makes good design sense as well but, there is no back door.

There is no door from the garage to the breezeway entrance.

Another view:
ChuckMaureen,I dont think we can ascertain from the photo that there isnt a door in the right front of the garage leading to the breezeway.It would make great design sense so you didnt have walk into bad weather to get into the house.
I got my mag. glass on the photo and noticed something hanging on the wall in the right front corner of the garage door wall,but the photo angle could be deceptive,but your likely right.

I'm wondering...

... did LE save blood evidence for this case? If so, will they order DNA testing? I'm guessing we'll never see that happen because LE has an idea the blood evidence belongs to only one individual: JR.

The amount of spatter on the walls and woodwork both in and outside of the kitchen is interesting; it's a wide dispersion pattern but most spots appear not to be trailed, as would be typical for cast-off. Most droplets appear to be straight-on spotting. Odd. Maybe that indicates the strikes were not of extreme force. That would explain the little to no trailed cast-off spotting and might also explain the seeming low-severity of the inflicted wound(s)... and, might suggest the physical stature of the attacker: maybe a younger male, a teen, not a stronger man?

If there was someone else other than JR and family in the house that day (fingerprint evidence supports the argument) it is possible that someone might also have had Type O. I'm not suggesting the someone is the source of all the blood but that it is possible JR got in a few licks of her own and drew blood from her attacker. A mixture of blood would not be unusual at a bloody crime scene.

If blood evidence contained a mixture of same-type blood would analysis at that time be able to ascertain that and if so, would such a result be a logical reason for LE to not release the analysis report? LE stated they believed an unknown was in the house that day so hiding the possibility of finding a mixture of blood would not make sense as reason to not release the blood analysis report.

If analysis determined the blood was Type O and blood from only one individual (JR) was found at the general scene then what could be cause for LE to not release that information? What is in that report? Would there be any reason to not release that information at this point? Maybe. The Risch children, now adults, are still alive.

Going back to evidence found in the kitchen:

One discarded, assumed-empty bottle of Ezra Brooks Old Crow Sour Mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 90 Proof (a Jack Daniels copycat) liquor. Confirmed by MR that he and JR had consumed from the bottle (unknown if it was full or partial) the evening previous to the day of JR's disappearance.

Articles that referenced "beer can"(s) are varied. One indicated MR was unable to explain the source of the beer, another indicate MR confirmed they had purchased beer but did not consume it on the day or days previous to the day of JR's disappearance. One can of Miller is shown in the waste basket, just under the Franco-American Spaghetti with Beef can. A crumpled Miller High Life small-pack cardboard carrier carton is shown on the kitchen floor next to the waste basket.

Did LE request for an alcohol content test of blood evidence? If so, what was the determination? Would such a test be useless given the circumstances?

Regarding the apparent "attempt at cleanup" of the kitchen floor, was it LR or JR or BB or ??

The large roll of paper towel shown on the kitchen floor is not taken from the roll dispenser mounted on the wall above the covered toaster on the counter next to the sink. A nearly-empty paper towel roll is shown still on the dispenser so the large roll was either pulled from a cabinet or a counter top. I expect it was stored in a cabinet, given the visual 'neatness' of counter tops and shelving shown in the kitchen.

It seems whomever did the cleanup determined the paper towels were not effective to their satisfaction so they grabbed DR's clothing and used that.

Whom? This seems to be a logical assumption:

The attacker did the "cleanup"... to wipe away footprints. That would explain two mysteries in this case.

Here's a link to another detailed news article that cleared up some questions:

28 Oct 1962, 2 - The Honolulu Advertiser at Newspapers.com

It says the fingerprints on the dial of the phone were JR's.

It says the neighbor who saw the blue/gray car Hhad seen it a few times in previous months. She had even memorized three of the numbers on the license plate.

The reporting is a bit inconsistent, so take some of it with a grain of salt. For instance, it says fingerprints were found and compared to others, then later says there were no fingerprints. Could just be a lack of clarity in writing.

Harvard Med School said they couldn't tell if Joan's blood came from a wound or hemorrhage (epithelial)

A search of the woods extending 100 yds from the Risch home found a woman's panty girdle and a pile of "girly magazines". I thought the latter was interesting. Was there a neighborhood stalker/peeping tom? Someone who might have snuck into the Risch home, or someone else's to steal undergarments? Kind of an isolated area, JMO, it would have been someone who lived (or used to) around there or visited regularly.

JMO, it's possible there was a neighborhood stalker - someone's husband or adult son. This might have been hushed up. Kind of reminds me of theories about the killer of Valerie Percy - daughter of then Senate candidate & Bell & Howell exec Charles Percy. Valerie was bludgeoned and stabbed to death inside her bedroom in a very wealthy neighborhood north of Chicago. Her killer has never been determined, but one strong theory is that she was murdered by a mentally ill son of a wealthy corporate CEO who lived a few streets away. In some very wealthy communities, crimes committed are sometimes covered up to save reputations.

Link to Valerie's thread here at WS

IL - IL - Valerie Percy, 21, Kenilworth, 18 September 1966

This article seems to be a combination of two articles. The previous October 1962 article posted by BettyP seems to be tacked on part of the way through as it reads word for word the same. There seems to be several errors of dates, times, etc. It didn't even get the date of JR's disappearance correct. In checking further this Honolulu paper was reprinting this from the NY Times, as the writer was employed by Times. Again, I come back to the blue/gray car as being key. So, I still say the owner was "local." I am thinking if he were from out of state (CT or NY), the witnesses to the car certainly would have made note of this fact. So, was it a neighbor? I do not think a known neighbor would park their car right in the Risch's driveway. Here is something I keep coming back to...two witnesses (the Keane girl and Mrs. Hilda Ziegler) saw the blue/gray care that afternoon yet LE claims they were mistaken and the car they say saw was an undercover police vehicle and the time they saw it was after 4:30?? Why would they say this? I wonder about the timing of this statement. It may have put them in a tough spot since later the milkman stated he saw the blue/gray car about a week before. I could find no place where they called his statement (or others who saw the car) into question. I say to myself, why would they be skeptical of the Keane and Ziegler sightings? Did the description and plate set off alarm bells in their head?

This article seems to be a combination of two articles. The previous October 1962 article posted by BettyP seems to be tacked on part of the way through as it reads word for word the same. There seems to be several errors of dates, times, etc. It didn't even get the date of JR's disappearance correct. In checking further this Honolulu paper was reprinting this from the NY Times, as the writer was employed by Times. Again, I come back to the blue/gray car as being key. So, I still say the owner was "local." I am thinking if he were from out of state (CT or NY), the witnesses to the car certainly would have made note of this fact. So, was it a neighbor? I do not think a known neighbor would park their car right in the Risch's driveway. Here is something I keep coming back to...two witnesses (the Keane girl and Mrs. Hilda Ziegler) saw the blue/gray care that afternoon yet LE claims they were mistaken and the car they say saw was an undercover police vehicle and the time they saw it was after 4:30?? Why would they say this? I wonder about the timing of this statement. It may have put them in a tough spot since later the milkman stated he saw the blue/gray car about a week before. I could find no place where they called his statement (or others who saw the car) into question. I say to myself, why would they be skeptical of the Keane and Ziegler sightings? Did the description and plate set off alarm bells in their head?
l.e. reasoning is very flawed.Both mrs z.and liz keane time awareness could not be off by over a hour and mrs z didnt imagine she was following the car that she stopped for, as it backed out of the Rischs driveway and took the fork to the airfield.Why would the police send a car in that direction so early in the investigation,they hardly knew what they were up against.

bbm

l.e. reasoning is very flawed.Both mrs z.and liz keane time awareness could not be off by over a hour and mrs z didnt imagine she was following the car that she stopped for, as it backed out of the Rischs driveway and took the fork to the airfield.Why would the police send a car in that direction so early in the investigation,they hardly knew what they were up against.

I'm not sure there would be much reason to believe a police vehicle would NOT go that direction. Search directions would include as much of a navigable circumference (via radii) from the epicenter of the crime scene as would be available.

In one of the articles I read, the person who saw the blue/gray car said it was parked behind Joan's car, almost to the road.

Here's a link to Historical Aerial's photo of Old Bedford Rd in 1963

NETRonline: Historic Aerials - Viewer

I can't quite make out which house was the Risch's, but I'm trying to get an idea of how much the neighbors might have been able to see if they were looking out a window, etc. towards the Risch home that afternoon.

ETA: Also adding that the many theories out there about JR having a "botched abortion", etc. A uterine rupture, which would occur in that scenario results in excessive bleeding. If JR had such a complication, there would have been much more blood at the scene. I'm not a health care professional, but was with someone who experienced this complication as a result of premature labor.

JMO, JR was either cut, stabbed or struck in a way that caused heavy superficial bleeding. Also possible she could have been shot, but there was no evidence of it at the scene and no neighbors reported hearing gunshots.
Hello,Betty P.and fellow internet detectives.I returned to Lincoln this past Friday, because I needed to sort out a few facts of the case, which I Could no longer stand to not know!Ill post my report findinds in a latter post.First everyone click on Betty P. HISTORICAL AERIAL LINK and Ill update everyone who is not familar on the key roads and where all the people of interest lived with my local knowlege.Type in 4 old bedford rd lincoln ma.and click, then click 1963.The road that runs east and west is rt 2a,the road that runs south of 2a is Sunnyside lane.As you head west on 2a past sunnyside lane the first road on the right is old bedfod lincoln ma.The Barkers house is the first house on the left and Rischs was. the first on the right,with the keane house one up from Joans.on the right.I was shocked how close they lived to 2a.I thought they lived very close to bloody angle and I now understand why the park system granted their request to stay till they passing.They are a half mile from battle rd.

bbm

I'm not sure there would be much reason to believe a police vehicle would NOT go that direction. Search directions would include as much of a navigable circumference (via radii) from the epicenter of the crime scene as would be available.
ChuckMaureen,Of course the police would send a car in that direction,but not at 3:30pm as liz and hilda reported seeing the car in question.According to the Lincoln police log Barb B didnt call till 4.33,officer mike mchugh didnt show up till about 4.45,but talked to Barb before going to the Rischs where he searched the house including the cellar and walked around the outside of the house looking for Joan,So the cavlary didnt show up till 5.00_5.15.In a interveiw after retiring Mchugh said he didnt remember where he parked his patrol car that day and also could not recall what he and Barb B SPOKE ABOUT.Did mchugh have an unmarked car?Did the police ask lizabeths mother what time she got home from school to confirm her car sighting? Hilda INSISTED that she pasted the Rischs at the time she reported and as it turns out followed the car for over .5 miles. Did the police feel liz and hildas sun dials were on the fritz that day and had no sense of time?lol I wonder if the answers are in Lincoln police report that day?ChuckMaureen could something be rotten in denmark?or maybe a police head fake to mislead the driver of the car in question?

Last edited:
Hello,Betty P.and fellow internet detectives.I returned to Lincoln this past Friday, because I needed to sort out a few facts of the case, which I Could no longer stand to not know!Ill post my report findinds in a latter post.First everyone click on Betty P. HISTORICAL AERIAL LINK and Ill update everyone who is not familar on the key roads and where all the people of interest lived with my local knowlege.Type in 4 old bedford rd lincoln ma.and click, then click 1963.The road that runs east and west is rt 2a,the road that runs south of 2a is Sunnyside lane.As you head west on 2a past sunnyside lane the first road on the right is old bedfod lincoln ma.The Barkers house is the first house on the left and Rischs was. the first on the right,with the keane house one up from Joans.on the right.I was shocked how close they lived to 2a.I thought they lived very close to bloody angle and I now understand why the park system granted their request to stay till they passing.They are a half mile from battle rd.

Thanks for pointing out the Risch and Barker houses. They were rather close to R 2A. Was that a busy road back in 1961?

Thanks for pointing out the Risch and Barker houses. They were rather close to R 2A. Was that a busy road back in 1961?

Thank you BillP, Darn I was always looking for a local to do a "walking tour!" Not sure if you viewed comments on that Reddit board by the person who said they grew up near Old Bedford Rd. The one who characterized the town as a "Peyton Place." They also seemed to dismiss JR walking on 2A and 128. I might concede it would have been a struggle to walk to 128. But, you are 100% correct, 2A was walking distance to the Risch house.

Thank you BillP, Darn I was always looking for a local to do a "walking tour!" Not sure if you viewed comments on that Reddit board by the person who said they grew up near Old Bedford Rd. The one who characterized the town as a "Peyton Place." They also seemed to dismiss JR walking on 2A and 128. I might concede it would have been a struggle to walk to 128. But, you are 100% correct, 2A was walking distance to the Risch house.

Something else to consider is that the proximity of Rt 2A also makes it convenient for someone to drive by, park nearby and access the Risch home from the side or back, without having to go too far through the woods. Convenient for someone who didn't want their car seen on Old Bedford Rd during daylight.

The characterization of Lincoln as being like "Peyton Place" (we're all showing our age here, haha) is interesting, too. It's possible witnesses and LE covered up a few things, hid a few details to protect reputations.

As for Joan walking on Rt2A, I'm still having a hard time believing she would walk away from her children, especially the 2yo crying in his crib. It would take a major psychotic break for a woman to do that and Joan just didn't exhibit any of the personality characteristics or behaviors to indicate she was that ill. I'm going to see if I can find out something about the witnesses who reported her walking around.

Betty P,I was not sure if the Barkers or Rischs had neighbors on the 2a side of their homes on old bedford rd,but youre aerial map nailed it down,thank you.Yes rt 2a was a busy road.It connected the towns of Lexington,Lincoln,and Concord and access to major roads like 128 and rt2 where many companies set up shop.Also the main access to the civil and air force sections of Hanscom Field.

Hi Jgfitzge,Got up Friday mourning and said Bill lets just do it!I may go back in Sept.or oct.24th to finish walking battle rd.Also I would like to visit the police station and request to read the Risch file and ask some questions,but unlikely since the case is ongoing.Yes im familiar with the reddit poster called cat *advertiser censored* sundae.He lived on juniper ridge, on the corner of Bedford rd and rt2 and said his parents cheated many times,but to paint the entire town as peyton place is very misleading.The poster believed Joan was involved with another man and there was a fight that day which resulted in her disappearance and death.He did not think she walked away.My Friday visit to the BARKERS house determined they were only one hundred yards away from 2a and add another two hundred yards west of old bedford rd on 2a as someone reported,that sighting was very much in play.I walked down to 2a in a few minutes.How long would it take to walk 2 hundred more yards? The time frame might be a little tight since Barb saw Joan in the driveway at 2.15-2.30 and the sighting report was at 2.45.

Last edited:
Hi Jgfitzge,Got up Friday mourning and said Bill lets just do it!I may go back in Sept.or oct.24th to finish walking battle rd.Also I would like to visit the police station and request to read the Risch file and ask some questions,but unlikely since the case is ongoing.Yes im familiar with the reddit poster called cat *advertiser censored* sundae.He lived on juniper ridge, on the corner of Bedford rd and rt2 and said his parents cheated many times,but to paint the entire town as peyton place is very misleading.The poster believed Joan was involved with another man and there was a fight that day which resulted in her disappearance and death.He did not think she walked away.My Friday visit to the BARKERS house determined they were only one hundred yards away from 2a and add another two hundred yards west of old bedford rd on 2a as someone reported,that sighting was very much in play.I walked down to 2a in a few minutes.How long would it take to walk 2 hundred more yards? The time frame might be a little tight since Barb saw Joan in the driveway at 2.15-2.30 and the sighting report was at 2.45.

I also looked up the historical aerial map of the street because I wanted to see whether Ms. Barker should have been able to see a stranger's car parked behind Joan's, at the end of the driveway, when she saw her running out to her car wearing the gray coat, with her arms out. What was her line of sight from her house to the Risch's? If she could see Joan running out in the Risch driveway, then she should also have seen the blue/gray car that was allegedly parked behind Joan's car. Ms Barker never mentions seeing the blue gray car, though she was the last person to see Joan out in the Risch driveway.

I'm just analyzing Ms Barker's witness report, comparing it with others.

JMO, I also don't think Joan was having an affair with anyone. They hadn't lived in the area that long and she was very busy with two small children. That's not to say one of the Updike Lotharios who lived in the area hadn't developed a fixation on her and didn't take rejection well.

It would also be interesting to research any reports of prowlers, peeping toms, rapes or other sexual assaults in the area around that time. Remember, LE discovered someone was looking at "girly magazines" in the woods behind the Risch house before Joan disappeared.

I also looked up the historical aerial map of the street because I wanted to see whether Ms. Barker should have been able to see a stranger's car parked behind Joan's, at the end of the driveway, when she saw her running out to her car wearing the gray coat, with her arms out. What was her line of sight from her house to the Risch's? If she could see Joan running out in the Risch driveway, then she should also have seen the blue/gray car that was allegedly parked behind Joan's car. Ms Barker never mentions seeing the blue gray car, though she was the last person to see Joan out in the Risch driveway.

JMO, I also don't think Joan was having an affair with anyone. They hadn't lived in the area that long and she was very busy with two small children. That's not to say one of the Updike Lotharios who lived in the area hadn't developed a fixation on her and didn't take rejection well.

It would also be interesting to research any reports of prowlers, peeping toms, rapes or other sexual assaults in the area around that time. Remember, LE discovered someone was looking at "girly magazines" in the woods behind the Risch house before Joan disappearm

It would also be interesting to research any reports of prowlers, peeping toms, rapes or other sexual assaults in the area around that time. Remember, LE discovered someone was looking at "girly magazines" in the woods behind the Risch house before Joan disappeared.

I walked down old bedford from the angle looking for the Barkers house.After a walk of about .5miles ,to my surprise there were two houses on my right There was a sign in the middle of the dirt road that said end of trail.The road turned to asphalt and first mail box #read 8,no name,the next one #4 with a name plate above reading the Barkers.I said wow, their still alive!I thought maybe the people living in #8 cut the same deal, as the Barkers did with the feds.There was a blue tarp covering the main section of the house roof.We had a rain wind storm 3 weeks ago and many trees ,branchs came down,but there was no roofing activity or sign of life.On either side of main house were step back foundation jogs,running across 12-16 feet.I determined the jog on right was the kitchen because of how the driveway entered the property and the window that Barb glanced out of to see Joan run in her drive way.Barbs house, I figured was set back 150 feet from the road,add 20 feet for the road spacing,and Joan parked 30 feet down her 60 foot driveway ,police photos guesstimate.So Barb had to visually navigate a 200ft plus veiw with many trees and bushes on her property plus the pines,hemlocks on either side of Joans driveway.I stood on the other side of the road looking at Barbs, then looking where i thought Joans driveway cut in from photos, going back and forth for what seemed like 30 min.and concluded Barbs veiw was challenging.Barb might have been able to see a car at the end of Joans driveway,but her neighbor#8 would have a birds eye veiw of Joans driveway!I went to 1957 aerial photos and zomed in ,it shows the right side of Joans driveway is well screened.

Last edited:
Did LE ever give any indication to locals that there was a murderer on the loose ?

Did LE ever give any indication to locals that there was a murderer on the loose ?
I dont recall LPD claiming that there was a murder on the loose,but only that the kitchen scene indicated she may be injured and was missing.There was concern in the neighborhood.A friend of my bother who lived on rt2a,the house nearest to JR said he and his family were shaken and very concerned.The lincoln journal or the fence viewer were the names of the local paper.You might be able to dig up some old info. on the case.

Lincoln, MA has had its share of one or another incidents. From the linked article:

The next paragraph tells of a murder / suicide that occurred in Lincoln in July 1961. A mother shot and killed her 12 year old son then turned the gun on herself in their home. Forty years later, the new owner of the house was found dead inside.

...serious incident took place in 1961, when police discovered a murder/suicide in a cottage on Lincoln Road. According to a July 3, 1961 article in the Boston Globe, Agnes Whitlock, who had been under psychiatric care, shot her 12-year-old son as he slept and then turned the gun on herself. The bodies “were in a hot house for a significant amount of time,” Bowles said. About 40 years later, the new owner of the house (which has since been demolished) was also found dead inside, he added.

I find this interesting, from the same article. I attribute it to sloppy research or simply lazy writing...

One of Lincoln’s biggest mysteries is what happened to Joan Risch, who disappeared in 1961 form her Bedford Road home and was never found. Her husband came home to find the telephone ripped out and blood on the floor, but no one knows her fate; it was later discovered that she had borrowed several library books about murders and disappearances. Then-Police Chief Leo Algeo “said it would always be a stone around his neck,” recalled Mooney, who was on the Lincoln police force at the time.

Police chiefs recall tales from “CSI Lincoln”

I wonder if LE attempted to obtain fingerprints / palm prints from the "girlie magazines" found in the woods near Old Bedford Rd.? Were they individual-purchase or subscription versions (address label)? Old or recent / new for that time? Were they weathered or relatively intact?

What of the clothing? Clean, stained, torn, intact? Did LE attempt to track down the owner(s)? Were the clothes determined as stolen? Did any residents use clothes lines for drying?

For how long was LR left alone (if at all) in the house after BB returned her to the R house?

The attached items are 'press release' photos of BB. That is NOT JR's vehicle in one of the photos.

Attachments

• R neighbor Barbara Barker .jpeg
    R neighbor Barbara Barker .jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 65
  • R neighbor Barbara Barker - 2.jpeg
    R neighbor Barbara Barker - 2.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 63

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors