Found Deceased MA - Judith Chartier, 17, Chelmsford, 5 June 1982 *car found in 2021*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was just thinking of this case...

Man. I wish something would happen...anything.

According to her brother, Judy NEVER made it back to the party or home.
30 Years After Sister's Disappearance, Concord Man Seeks Answers

But according to Doe Network that Richard provided a link for...they state she DID make it back to party.
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/10dfma.html

So which was is CORRECT? That's a pretty big detail to have 2 different versions of IMO. I would think her brother would not make a mistake like that so I have more of a tendency to believe him that she dropped her BF off and never made it ANYWHERE. Puts a whole new slant on case. Is there a way of truly verifying? After all these years, I'm more prone not to believe the PD because of human error while I believe her own brother "best friend" would never forget the details.

2017 article and interview with brother seems to say she DID go back to party and witnesses saw her leave at 2am

35 Years Later, Man Makes Plea for Answers in Sister’s Disappearance

Divers recover car of Massachusetts teen who went missing in 1982

BILLERICA, Mass. —

Authorities have made a major find in the case of a missing teenager from nearly 40 years ago.

The Middlesex District Attorney's Office said Tuesday that investigators recovered a vehicle from the Concord River that has been positively identified as the 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger that was driven by 17-year-old Judith Chartier, of Chelmsford, when she disappeared on June 5, 1982.

As part of an ongoing investigation, the Massachusetts State Police Dive Team and civilian divers found significant portions of a vehicle in the river. Through a match of the vehicle identification number (VIN), those pieces were confirmed to be from Chartier's vehicle.

On June 5, 1982, Chartier went missing after leaving a party in Billerica. Friends reported that Chariter was last seen around 2 a.m., and she has not been seen since.

“This is a very significant development in this case and we are still processing the car for any additional evidence," Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan said in a statement. "Sadly, this discovery comes after nearly forty heartbreaking years of Judith’s friends and family missing her and wondering about what happened that day. We are committed to continuing the search for those answers."

The investigation into Chartier's disappearance is being conducted by Ryan's Cold Case Unit, Billerica police, Chelmsford police, Massachusetts State Police detectives assigned to Ryan's Office and the MSP Dive Team.

Ryan's office extended thanks to Bruce Stebbins and Hans Hug of Sonar Search and Recovery, civilian experts who utilized Edgetech Sonar System to locate the vehicle and whose assistance was "critical to the investigation."

I’ve known about Judith’s case for a few years and was always under the assumption that she was the victim of foul play but with her car being found in the river, I’m inclined to believe it was a tragic accident and that it simply wasn’t possible to find her and her car back then.

I just hope they manage to locate Judith’s remains. Im not completely ready to rule out foul play. I’ve always believed the people Judith was with that night knew more about her disappearance then they let on.

So, is it possible she drove off the bridge accidently?
There have been no shortage of vehicles recovered decades later, with quite a few of those being resolved just recently. If you look back over the history of many cases like this, you'll find that quite a few of them actually had suspects or people law enforcement was looking closely at.

They were all tragic accidents though, and I think it's more than likely that's exactly what this was.

So, is it possible she drove off the bridge accidently?
The car was found in the water near where the party was held. There is no bridge or adjoining road. It's possible she was parked on someone's lawn and accidentally put her car in reverse and slid into the river, or she was killed elsewhere and her car was pushed into the river. Still, the river has been searched before and her car was not found.
** I just read Joe Chartier's post referenced above, and a commenter asked if the party was "at the apartment complex or the house on Wilson St. [in Billerica, MA]" Buildings on the east side of Wilson St. do back to the river.

Last edited:
I think Judy went off the road into a body of water, since her car is also missing. I took a look at a google map of her area and found that there were quite a few fairly large lakes and a river close to roadways. She was only 17 (young, inexperienced driver) and had partied through the night until she left to go home around 2 am. My gut feeling is that she had an accident.
You made this post 9 years ago, and I think there's a very good chance you nailed it.

The car was found in the water near where the party was held. There is no bridge or adjoining road. It's possible she was parked on someone's lawn and accidentally put her car in reverse and slid into the river, or she was killed elsewhere and her car was pushed into the river. Still, the river has been searched before and her car was not found.
** Car not found during previous searches - was the car put into the water after the river was searched after her disappearance? But why was it in the water near the party house?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back