Found Deceased MA - Judith Chartier, 17, Chelmsford, 5 June 1982 *car found in 2021*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The car was found in the water near where the party was held. There is no bridge or adjoining road. It's possible she was parked on someone's lawn and accidentally put her car in reverse and slid into the river, or she was killed elsewhere and her car was pushed into the river. Still, the river has been searched before and her car was not found.
** I just read Joe Chartier's post referenced above, and a commenter asked if the party was "at the apartment complex or the house on Wilson St. [in Billerica, MA]" Buildings on the east side of Wilson St. do back to the river.
Ugh, sorry. "There is no bridge." This is wrong. I misunderstood where the house party was. Yes, there are bridges on either end of Wilson St. Although, since they both head to Billerica, I think she'd head west toward 3A to head home to Chelmsford.

Big update:

Divers recover car of Massachusetts teen who went missing in 1982

LOWELL, Mass. — Authorities made a grim discovery Wednesday in a search connected to the case of a missing teenager from nearly 40 years ago.

Human remains were found in the Concord River, District Attorney Marian Ryan said. The search teams had found a vehicle in the river on Tuesday.

That car, a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger, was positively identified as the vehicle that was driven by 17-year-old Judith Chartier, of Chelmsford, when she disappeared on June 5, 1982.

In addition to human remains, Ryan said investigators also found personal items and an identification card belonging to Chartier. Ryan emphasized that does not constitute a positive identification of the remains.

Flying over the area on Wednesday afternoon, Sky5 saw an area beside the river cordoned off with yellow police tape. Two pop-up tents were erected over part of the area, where investigators were working.

If remains weren’t in the car, you’d think they would have gone downstream? Even if caught on something, you’d think they would have dislodged after such a long time?
Hard to say.

amateur opinion and speculation

At 17, she left a Billerica party in 1982 and was never seen again. Her car — and possibly her remains — were just found in the Concord River.

Human remains were found Wednesday in the Concord River in Billerica near where investigators discovered pieces of a car that belonged to a 17-year-old Chelmsford girl who has been missing since 1982.

While authorities can’t say right now if the remains are Judith Chartier, they were found by investigators and civilian divers near the submerged 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger that Chartier was said to be operating the night she went missing, according to Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan during a press conferenceWednesday afternoon.

The vehicle is no longer intact; it was found about 50 to 75 yards into the river under about eight to 10 feet of water. Officials were able to identify it as Chartier’s Tuesday by using its vehicle identification number, or VIN.

Along with the vehicle and remains, authorities found a laminated work identification that belonged to Chartier, among other items. The search had resumed around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Chartier was last seen leaving a party in Billerica around 2 a.m. on June 5, 1982, according to Ryan’s office. The gathering, which included other teenagers, was said to be in an outdoor area.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and state anthropologist will now work to identify the remains as investigators work to piece together how Chartier’s vehicle and belongings ended up in the water.

“We will be going back into the water in the upcoming days,” Ryan said during the press conference.

<snip>

The river and access to it was different in 1982, she said, adding that that’s something investigators will research.

The investigation is being conducted by the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office Cold Case Unit and local and state police. The search also included the help of Bruce Stebbins and Hans Hug for Sonar Search and Recovery who used Edgetech Sonar System to find the vehicle, according to Ryan’s office.

It was the new technology that was key to finding the remains, Ryan said.

Last edited:
19 Brentham Rd North Billerica is the former residence of one of the two guys that went to the Chartier’s house to tell her mother they had heard she was missing.

The Concord River’s right in his backyard almost. And right where they found that car it’s right in his neighborhood.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
If remains weren’t in the car, you’d think they would have gone downstream? Even if caught on something, you’d think they would have dislodged after such a long time?
Hard to say.

amateur opinion and speculation

Take a look at pictures online of old cars they have pulled from rivers and you will see that the car usually separates and the trunk section breaks off.

She must’ve been trapped in some part of the car that contained her body. There’s no way a body sat at the bottom of the river for 40 years unless it was inside something. Like her car.

Human remains found in Concord River where missing teen’s car was found – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

LOWELL, MASS. (WHDH) – Human remains were found in the Concord River on Wednesday morning amid an ongoing investigation into a teenager who disappeared after leaving a party in Billerica nearly 40 years ago, law enforcement officials said.

The discovery comes after parts of a car that belonged to Judith Chartier, of Chelmsford, were found Tuesday in a section of the river that runs through Billerica, according to Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan.

It would be the most possible scenario if it were not for the two individuals who reported Judith missing and then lawyered up.[/
It would be the most possible scenario if it were not for the two individuals who reported Judith missing and then lawyered up.

Take a look at the address 19 Bartham Rd. North Billerica Massachusetts. The Concord river is practically in the backyard. In fact it’s right in the same neighborhood where they found car and human remains.

but of course it could all be a coincidence.

Take a look at the address 19 Bartham Rd. North Billerica Massachusetts. The Concord river is practically in the backyard. In fact it’s right in the same neighborhood where they found car and human remains.

but of course it could all be a coincidence.
She was a young inexperienced driver. It was nighttime. She might have been drinking. That adds up to high probability of an accident to me vs. nefarious activity.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Amy Sokolow
@amysokolow

17m

Judy Chartier’s brother said he “slept like a baby” for the first time since his sister went missing in 1982 now that her remains have been found, for
@bostonherald

Remains found in search of Concord River identified as Judy Chartier, teen who disappeared in 1982

Boston 25 News’ Bob Ward interviewed Judy’s parents in 2001 at their home in Limestone, Maine for New England’s Unsolved. Both parents have since passed away without knowing what happened to their daughter. Judy’s brother, Joseph Chartier, told Ward Wednesday, “When I first learned her car was found, every emotion hit me at the same time. I felt like a weight was taken off my shoulders. Now there is the possibility that they found Judy after 39 years, I am feeling a sense of relief.”

http://www.bing.com/mapspreview?&ty=18&q=McDonald's North Billerica MA&ss=ypid.YN387x189731460&ppois=42.574649810791_-71.2823028564453_McDonald's_YN387x189731460~&cp=42.57465~-71.282303&v=2&sV=1
Party was to the east of McDonalds. Judy disappeared in the summer. Hard for her car to go into the water and not be seen. This is a busy area. The house was somewhere to the left (coming from McD's)of the concord river off of Bridle Rd. Not sure of the street name, but 4 or so streets in off of Bridge St.

How do we know the party was to the east of McDonalds or where the house was?
Do you have a link for a source. Many thanks in advance.

oh wow, just saw this article and came straight here. Im so glad after all this time she was found and her brother can sleep again. It could be just an accident but also does seem suspicious the circumstances around the guy...
I wonder if he is still alive.

oh wow, just saw this article and came straight here. Im so glad after all this time she was found and her brother can sleep again. It could be just an accident but also does seem suspicious the circumstances around the guy...
I wonder if he is still alive.
I believe there was an article posted where the brother was quoted as having slept like a baby for the first time since her disappearance. And totally agree that there dies seem to be some suspicious activity around her disappearance; at least enough for LE to continue to investigate and hopefully not just write it off as an accident until they rule out foul play.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back