MA MA - Karen Soucie, 38, blunt trauma in her bathroom, Springfield, 3 Nov. 2000, *Fresh incentive*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
11/03/2020
Cold Case: Who Killed Karen Soucie? 20 Years On, DA Seeking Public's Help
Screenshot_2020-11-03_at_12.27.19_PM_wwicxn

Karen Soucie was killed 20 years ago - no one has been charged for her death. Photo Credit: Hampden County District Attorney

''Soucie’s body was discovered on Nov. 3, 2000, by her landlord, Hampden County District Attorney Anthony Gulluni’s Office said. The landlord at 22 Berkshire St., in Springfield, noticed Soucie’s car had not moved and she had not picked up her mail in two days. He went into her apartment and found Soucie dead in her bathroom.

The cause of death was blunt trauma, the DA’s Office said.

The person who fatally wounded Soucie has never been found''.

Hampden DA seeks answers in 20-year-old unsolved Indian Orchard homicide of Karen Soucie
SPRINGFIELD — Hampden District Attorney Anthony Gulluni is issuing a public appeal for assistance from anyone who could provide answers in a 20-year-old unsolved Springfield homicide and possibly identify the person responsible.

Gulluni issued the appeal on behalf of the family of Karen Soucie, a 38-year-old woman found dead in her apartment at 22 Berkshire St. in Indian Orchard on Nov. 3, 2000.

According to Gulluni, no information about the case is considered too small, and all leads will be checked out by investigators.

Soucie’s body was found in the bathtub by the landlord, who entered her apartment after noticing her car had not moved and her mail had not been collected for at least two days.

Police at the time were hesitant to call her death a homicide. There were no visible injuries on Soucie’s body, and there was no evidence of a struggle or of a forced entry into the apartment. Five months later, the medical examiner notified police that the autopsy found signs of blunt trauma to the neck and chest, and that her death was classified as a homicide.

Soucie, according to her obituary, worked as a technician for many years at Milton Bradley Co. in East Longmeadow. She was a lifelong resident of the city, and a graduate of Putnam High School. She was survived by two children and a number of brothers and sisters from the Springfield area.

She is recalled by colleagues as a quiet person and a hard worker, Gulluni said. “She has a large family who remain devastated by her death and steadfast in their quest to find the person responsible for the murder,” Gulluni said.

People with any information about the case should call the Springfield Police Department’s Homicide Unit at 413-787-6355. People can also provide information anonymously through Text-a-Tip by texting the word CRIMES (2-7-4-6-3-7) and typing the world SOLVE followed by the information.

11/03/2020
Cold Case: Who Killed Karen Soucie? 20 Years On, DA Seeking Public's Help
Screenshot_2020-11-03_at_12.27.19_PM_wwicxn

Karen Soucie was killed 20 years ago - no one has been charged for her death. Photo Credit: Hampden County District Attorney

''Soucie’s body was discovered on Nov. 3, 2000, by her landlord, Hampden County District Attorney Anthony Gulluni’s Office said. The landlord at 22 Berkshire St., in Springfield, noticed Soucie’s car had not moved and she had not picked up her mail in two days. He went into her apartment and found Soucie dead in her bathroom.

The cause of death was blunt trauma, the DA’s Office said.

The person who fatally wounded Soucie has never been found''.

5 months later they determined it was murder??..........I say she was killed on Halloween night or sometime early in the morning of the first of November. Found her in the bathtub. was there water in the tub or was she just laying in it??
someone that rents, and don't move there car for two days that is not unusual. But to know they had not moved it one would have to be watching closely i guess. she could have left came back and parked in the same spot, which would make it appear it had not move............Not pick up her mail in two days,???? what kind of mailbox is this?? How did he know she had not picked her mail up in two days.??

That was election week in 2000. I guess the landlord was ruled out, if male is that correct??

I think she was killed by someone that lived in the same apartment complex as she.
Anyone have any visual aids from the time.?? Photos, video etc. Something we can look at from the time of the crime??

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20-22-Berkshire-St-Springfield-MA-01151/193569488_zpid/?

N
ot an apartment complex but rather what’s known as a three decker or three family. It was common for the landlord to live on one floor and rent the other two. (Originally these were often occupied by extended families, and today are commonly investment type properties with no onsite landlord)

mailboxes are often the little metal boxes on the wall by the front door.
Or just a mailslot that dropped mail into the common entry/hall.

parking in three decker heavy neighborhoods is typically limited to on street parking or a driveway along the side of the house. (Today’s map view shows a driveway. And a garage at the back of the property)

Last edited:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/20-22-Berkshire-St-Springfield-MA-01151/193569488_zpid/?

N
ot an apartment complex but rather what’s known as a three decker or three family. It was common for the landlord to live on one floor and rent the other two. (Originally these were often occupied by extended families, and today are commonly investment type properties with no onsite landlord)

mailboxes are often the little metal boxes on the wall by the front door.
Or just a mailslot that dropped mail into the common entry/hall.

parking in three decker heavy neighborhoods is typically limited to on street parking or a driveway along the side of the house. (Today’s map view shows a driveway. And a garage at the back of the property)

Thank you .............Is this the house??

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-07 051633 (2).png
    Screenshot 2020-11-07 051633 (2).png
    1 MB · Views: 17
I *think* so.
Also noting the two front doors-one probably enters the first floor apartment directly the other to a main stairway hallway accesses to the other floors. There’s usually a back common entrance also accessing another hall stairway to all three apartments

Hampden DA seeks answers in 20-year-old unsolved Indian Orchard homicide of Karen Soucie
''Police at the time were hesitant to call her death a homicide. There were no visible injuries on Soucie’s body, and there was no evidence of a struggle or of a forced entry into the apartment. Five months later, the medical examiner notified police that the autopsy found signs of blunt trauma to the neck and chest, and that her death was classified as a homicide.''

I wonder how old her kids were at the time, how long the divorce ago was final and how happy the ex was with the custody agreement. Although she was living in a pretty small apartment to have two children stay with her. No forced entry. Ex or boyfriend? I can find where the kids are pushing for answers now. Sad case for what seemed to be a quiet unassuming person...

I wonder how old her kids were at the time, how long the divorce ago was final and how happy the ex was with the custody agreement. Although she was living in a pretty small apartment to have two children stay with her. No forced entry. Ex or boyfriend? I can find where the kids are pushing for answers now. Sad case for what seemed to be a quiet unassuming person...

Brandon was 15,Jenna was 12. They were living with their father in Connecticut at the time of her death.

Nov 13 2020
Children of Karen Soucie seeks answers in 20-year-old Springfield homicide
EXZFGRFIR5C2RN4WLLV2GDCRXU.jpg

Brandon Soucie, left, and Jenna Soucie-Moore talk about their mother, Karen Soucie, the victim of a 20-year-old unsolved Springfield homicide.

''On the anniversary of her November 2000 homicide, Soucie’s children, Brandon Soucie and Jenna Soucie-Moore, have taken it upon themselves to shine a spotlight on their mother’s death. This is being done in the hope that the killer will someday be identified and brought to justice.
“She doesn’t deserve to be in the dark; she deserves to have a light shined on her, which is why we advocate for her on social media,” Soucie-Moore said.''

''People with any information about the case should call the Springfield Police Department’s Homicide Unit at 413-787-6355. People can also provide information anonymously through Text-a-Tip by texting the word CRIMES (2-7-4-6-3-7) and typing the word SOLVE followed by the information.''

Family speaks out 20 years after murder of Springfield mother
More at link
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WGGB/WSHM) -- A mother of two was murdered in 2000 and investigators still haven't caught her killer.

Now, the family and the Hampden County District Attorney are pleading for the public’s help for anyone with information to come forward.

The mystery surrounding Karen Soucie’s murder still remains and now, her two children are speaking out and fighting for justice.

November 3, 2000 is a day that would change Brandon Soucie and his sister, Jenna Moore’s, lives forever.

“She always made sure that we knew we were loved. She was fun, she was energetic, she was full of personality, but at the same time, she was quiet,” Moore said.

Investigators said that Karen's landlord found her body in the bathroom after noticing her car hadn't moved for two days from her Berkshire Avenue apartment in Springfield.

Jenna was just 12 years old and Brandon was 14.

“We don’t want her case to be another Springfield, Massachusetts number on some tally board,” Moore added.

Brandon Soucie said, “I hate going to The Big E, you know, because I could have walked by someone this person.”

Karen's killer has never been caught.

Hampden County District Attorney Anthony Gulluni sat down with Western Mass News to give insight into the investigation.

“Leads were really very few and far between. A lot of work was done, a very significant file was developed, along with persons of interest and so forth. Forensics material, given the technology at the time, it was preserved to the extent that any existed,” Gulluni explained.

Unfortunately, Gulluni said no suspects ever came forward in the course of the investigation. Fast forward to more than 20 years later, his office is asking for the public’s help.

5 months later they determined it was murder??..........I say she was killed on Halloween night or sometime early in the morning of the first of November. Found her in the bathtub. was there water in the tub or was she just laying in it??
someone that rents, and don't move there car for two days that is not unusual. But to know they had not moved it one would have to be watching closely i guess. she could have left came back and parked in the same spot, which would make it appear it had not move............Not pick up her mail in two days,???? what kind of mailbox is this?? How did he know she had not picked her mail up in two days.??

That was election week in 2000. I guess the landlord was ruled out, if male is that correct??...
The biggest problem seems to me to be that they didn't treat it as a crime, so did they even treat the apartment as a crime scene? Probably not. Did they investigate at all? What did they do? Who did they talk to? And how tf did it take 5 months to be ruled a homicide? The law would have required an autopsy, so what happened? Did it just get buried somehow? I would love to just know the series of events from the original autopsy to the homicide ruling. I wonder if there's any good investigative notes at all? Was she dating anyone? Who was the landlord? Is he still alive and around to talk to? Are there any threads of leads to work with, or would any investigation have to start from scratch?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finch5800
Back