Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not sure about the weather there. I'm in central MA so not very far away either, and we just had a little light snow mixed with rain. I went out for my usual walk and while it wasn't pleasant weather it wasn't really bad. It's usually a bit warmer here than in the Berkshires, so I would have expected them to just have snow.

It was, I have to say, the kind of day where you could easily get hypothermia if you weren't dressed for it or had an accident, like if you slipped and twisted an ankle or something and couldn't get up.

Given how much she seems to have depended on the written word, I would expect her to leave a note or letter explaining her action, if it was deliberate. I'm still more inclined to misadventure. (What a great word. I hope Meghan would approve.)

I'm not sure about the weather there. I'm in central MA so not very far away either, and we just had a little light snow mixed with rain. I went out for my usual walk and while it wasn't pleasant weather it wasn't really bad. It's usually a bit warmer here than in the Berkshires, so I would have expected them to just have snow.

It was, I have to say, the kind of day where you could easily get hypothermia if you weren't dressed for it or had an accident, like if you slipped and twisted an ankle or something and couldn't get up.

Given how much she seems to have depended on the written word, I would expect her to leave a note or letter explaining her action, if it was deliberate. I'm still more inclined to misadventure. (What a great word. I hope Meghan would approve.)
Every report seems to have varying degrees of how bad the weather was that day. Regardless, I hope she didn't suffer.

Interesting profile with personal insights from a close friend.

This is an amazingly well written piece. Thank you Anna Mercury, thank you so much.

Here ya go. I found it quite a comforting antidote to all the mystery.
The longer article is such a base of understanding, both Meghan and Anna.............
If you haven't read that you should go back to read it too--in my earlier post...

I'm sure we will know more once we know cause and manner of death, but for now, what are we thinking happened? Her phone pinged in the opposite direction from where her body was found. According to the person who initially noticed her car (the article with this person's quotes was in the GH video), the weather the day she went missing was complete garbage - rain, cold, snow, wind. I can't imagine wanting to walk around for miles in this weather. Did she really just start wandering around going in different directions?

It's also odd to me that her car doors were unlocked (source again is the GH video and an article he reads from in that video). We may have discussed this previously - it has been awhile. Doors unlocked lead me to believe either foul play or self harm. Or I guess just an overly trusting view of society, but I feel it's pretty common knowledge at trailheads especially to lock your doors as it's a very common car burglary location (trailheads in general, not this specific one).
totally agree..too many unanswered questions...I dont believe she left her car unlocked, where is her computer, stuffed animal, car keys etc? were they recovered with her body?

I was just watching Gray Hughes latest video and I have to agree it looks like a possible crime. The area where her body was found does resemble a "dumping" site at the end of that gravel road. Her car parked haphazardly on a different road, a long walking distance from her body, doors unlocked, possessions possibly missing also looks suspicious.

Of course, her family and friends will have to wait for more information.
I have not watched Gray Hughes but I have been in the "foul play" camp all along - like 90%.
I find the area that they found her in to be peculiar and surprising. Certainly not deep in the forest. Was that area searched initially ? IMO it does feel like a dumping place.
I think Meghan was making strides to create a new life with plans to move out west to her friends Mom's iirc in Olympia, with maybe her friend joining them later.
She was distancing herself from the toxic situation at work and the injustice of it all.
IMO Although she loved teaching and certainly needed to support herself, she was not someone who was going to thrive in the typical school system structure fraught with petty politics and bs.
From her obituary :
"She was a creative, free spirit who loved to travel and spend time outdoors. Meghan was a poet and established the Troy Poetry Project. She was an activist, environmentalist, and was involved with the Sanctuary for Independent Media in Troy."
I believe Meghan was beginning to find a path towards her own true north.
For whatever reason, I believe she was the victim of a random encounter. A crime of opportunity. Seemingly, wrong place wrong time which unfortunately I sense began innocently enough with incorrect directions. Did she stop enroute in her car and ask someone out for a run for further directions and have an encounter? Or something similar? Did the person say - Sure let me help you - I will hop in and show you the way and then continue on my run. There she is on an adventure in a buccolic area- was her guard down ? Remember how charming and friendly Ted Bundy was? A friendly face a kind word - salve for the soul - until it isn't.
None of us know we just have our own thoughts and speculations
IMO and IME Crimes of opportunity don't just happen on sunny days in dangerous places. They happen randomly when opportunity presents itself. Here in New England, we go out and about in all kinds of weather, especially if its just 40 degrees ish and raining. Many of us run or walk daily irrespective of the climate. Not odd at all to me that someone else could have been out and about like Meghan was.
I think whatever happened, if it can be known from her remains, we will know eventually. I suspect from the little that I know about Meghan, that is what she would have wanted.

title: Marohn, Meghan A. {Obituary}
published by: Daniel Keenan Funeral Home, Inc.
link: https://www.danielkeenanfuneralhome.com/index.php/albany-funeral-home/obituaries-extended/marohn_meghan_a

... Born in Albany ...

... Master’s degree in education from Fairleigh Dickinson University where she also served as an adjunct professor ...

... Meghan was a devoted teacher. She taught English at Chatham High School in New Jersey and also at Shaker High School. She was a creative, free spirit who loved to travel and spend time outdoors. Meghan was a poet and established the Troy Poetry Project. She was an activist, environmentalist, and was involved with the Sanctuary for Independent Media in Troy. ...

"Nearly five weeks after Meghan Marohn’s remains were identified after being found in the woods, state officials say they still do not know how she died.

The manner and cause of Marohn’s death is still pending, according to the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, responding Wednesday to an inquiry.

Family, friends and Berkshire residents continue to clamor for information about what happened to Marohn, though investigators have said from the beginning that they did not have evidence to suspect foul play."

Quote from The Berkshire Eagle, Tuesday, November 1, 2022:

LEE — Meghan Marohn’s family and friends are still waiting to learn the manner and cause of her death after someone stumbled upon her remains roughly two months ago in the Berkshires.
{Brother Peter} Naple also has not received word from the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner about how his sister died — a waiting period the office’s website indicates is typical. Most reports are completed in 90 days, according to the site. It’s been nearly two months since the medical examiner’s office announced that the remains were Marohn’s.

source:
https://www.berkshireeagle.com/crime/meghan-marohn-lee-massachusetts-berkshires-trailhead-longcope-death-died-what-happened-to-meghan-marohn/article_acf4ee7a-593e-11ed-9236-0bdd620ebbd4.html

archived source:
https://archive.ph/bPzOg

Quote from The Berkshire Eagle, Tuesday, November 1, 2022:

LEE — Meghan Marohn’s family and friends are still waiting to learn the manner and cause of her death after someone stumbled upon her remains roughly two months ago in the Berkshires.
{Brother Peter} Naple also has not received word from the state Office of the Chief Medical Examiner about how his sister died — a waiting period the office’s website indicates is typical. Most reports are completed in 90 days, according to the site. It’s been nearly two months since the medical examiner’s office announced that the remains were Marohn’s.

source:
https://www.berkshireeagle.com/crime/meghan-marohn-lee-massachusetts-berkshires-trailhead-longcope-death-died-what-happened-to-meghan-marohn/article_acf4ee7a-593e-11ed-9236-0bdd620ebbd4.html

archived source:
https://archive.ph/bPzOg
Bumping
Checked news for an autopsy update but nothing yet. Maybe soon, as the 90-day window is closing?

Breaking news article from Berkshire Eagle - they can't determine the cause of death but there was THC in her system, which isn't surprising since Lee is right off I-90 and only 10 minutes from the NY border, and there's a dispensary right off the highway called Canna Provisions that gets A TON of out of town business. I wonder if anyone there helped/remembers her or if they're looking into that. It says they don't suspect foul play at this time but I'm not so quick to agree considering the remains were found in a public park after months. Here's the link to the story - we just got several inches of snow in Lee so hopefully that doesn't hold up the investigation.

Medical examiner is unable to identify the cause of death for Meghan Marohn

Breaking news article from Berkshire Eagle - they can't determine the cause of death but there was THC in her system, which isn't surprising since Lee is right off I-90 and only 10 minutes from the NY border, and there's a dispensary right off the highway called Canna Provisions that gets A TON of out of town business. I wonder if anyone there helped/remembers her or if they're looking into that. It says they don't suspect foul play at this time but I'm not so quick to agree considering the remains were found in a public park after months. Here's the link to the story - we just got several inches of snow in Lee so hopefully that doesn't hold up the investigation.

Medical examiner is unable to identify the cause of death for Meghan Marohn
Totally agree with your BBM statement above. They don’t know the cause of her death so they don’t know if it was foul play or not IMO. Saying they don’t suspect foul play is the default statement similar to we don’t believe there is a threat to the community. This is a big tourist area, so LE I am sure does not want to alarm anyone. Maybe the brother can get an independent autopsy. The place she was found /the way her car was parked/just the fact she was seemingly at a place bc of wrong directions makes me feel this was not self harm. All IMO.

Totally agree with your BBM statement above. They don’t know the cause of her death so they don’t know if it was foul play or not IMO. Saying they don’t suspect foul play is the default statement similar to we don’t believe there is a threat to the community. This is a big tourist area, so LE I am sure does not want to alarm anyone. Maybe the brother can get an independent autopsy. The place she was found /the way her car was parked/just the fact she was seemingly at a place bc of wrong directions makes me feel this was not self harm. All IMO.
We will likely never know for sure with this case.

THC intoxication could explain the way the car was parked and getting lost, and falling asleep in the drizzly-cold weather that day. The self harm may not have been intentional but rather accidental.

We will likely never know for sure with this case.

THC intoxication could explain the way the car was parked and getting lost, and falling asleep in the drizzly-cold weather that day. The self harm may not have been intentional but rather accidental.
I suppose we would have to know whether she regularly used cbd w/thc or not which is totally legal in Massachusetts to understand whether she was used it’s effects etc. I have many friends who do use it for different reasons daily. She may have also used it for sleeping the night before and there was residual left in her system. Or for anxiety. Was it just a trace amount or found in high quantities ? I don’t believe that the article stated the amount although I may have missed it. Imo anyone with thc overload would have not driven to begin with or pulled over if they were that out of it. It is a scary experience.
So many unanswered questions. And I believe the answers are out there. Just my opinion

Heartbreaking read. She didn't have her shoes on. I wonder if her feet hurt from walking around so long lost. I hope she is with her mom and at peace.
Still a mystery - barefoot gives me pause? Where she was with the weather that day and all the underbrush etc would not have worked at all for her to walk any distance -all imo. My big Q is did LE find the shoes she was wearing that day. Did the woman in the lobby of the inn that gave our Meghan direction’s that day, notice and remember what she was wearing for footwear. Am I the only one that will think foul play here until they actually show me it’s not? All imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*
Back