MA MA - Phillip Markoff, Craigslist Killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm actually not surprised to hear that he killed himself.

He went from having a great life to being a murderer.

Does anyone have any insight as to how he could have tied his hands?
I have read a few articles that stated his hands were bound in front of him.
That sounds a little weird.

I've not seen a single article saying his hands were bound in front of him.
If you have a link, you should post it.

"Craigslist suspect's suicide riles victim's family"
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Suicides in jail aren't uncommon — but rarely do they involve such high-profile inmates as Craigslist killing suspect Philip Markoff.
Now the family of the woman he was accused of murdering is left yearning for justice, while the public remains captivated by the fit-for-Hollywood story of a medical student accused of soliciting a masseuse on Craigslist and shooting her dead during a botched robbery scheme in a posh Boston hotel.
Ultimately, Markoff chose his own ending: Suicide.
Authorities completed an autopsy Monday but were waiting for the results of specialized tests before releasing the cause of death.
Family members of slain masseuse Julissa Brisman were angry they won't have the chance to confront Markoff at trial and hear the details of their loved one's final moments, said a lawyer for Brisman's mother, Carmen Guzman.
More at link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_craigslist_killing;_ylt=Atz5lVPkAfGGJvGj6.QAQlInncUF;_ylu=X3oDMTNhZmk2bThrBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODE3L3VzX2NyYWlnc2xpc3Rfa2lsbGluZwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzIEcG9zAzIEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNjcmFpZ3NsaXN0c3U-

I have read viewers comments on different newspapers regarding PM suicide. It is shocking to see how many said " he's a coward".

I don't think he was a coward, I think he felt spending the rest of his life in jail was unbearable to him. He was an intelligent man with a good life and an even better lifestyle to come, an he realized he threw it all away. The shame and humiliation he caused for himself and family was probably to much to bear. It was heartbreaking to read of him writing "Megan's" name in blood. I'm sure he suffered emotionally in jail. Way to much time to think about what he did and what he lost. Coward? No, a man suffering deeply for a young life {his own} thrown away and to never become anything..doctor, husband and father. He really wanted to die, it was kinda of "over" suicide from what I read. Cut neck, cut ankles then plastic around ankles to contain the blood, tissue stuffed down throat, plastic bag tied around neck.

I don't get any joy from any death, PM's included. He was suffering and tormented everyday in his mind to the point he committed suicide. Yes, he and he alone was to blame for that but it doesn't take away from the emotional pain he felt. He was still a human being with feelings, albeit...a horrible human being at that with severe problems.

Maybe that's the nurse in me. I don't judge actions...I just care for their wounds ... physical/emotional. Copd from smoking, wounds from gang related gunshots, overdosing on illegal/legal drugs, bedsores from morbidly obese people, the list goes on and on.

Take one minute to think what was going on in his mind the last 5 minutes of his life. I know, people will say ... what went on in the mind of his victim? But that doesnt negate what went on in his mind.

It goes against our survival instinct to kill oneself, so I don't think it was a cowardly act. It was his only way to survive the life he made for himself ... to take it away.

Sorry ... just makes me sad to see someone commit suicide. For them to think life is so unbearable that they would be better off dead is sad.

What did he have to look forward to? Sounds like the evidence against him was pretty strong, so it's not likely he was going to get out any time soon.

What did he have to look forward to? Sounds like the evidence against him was pretty strong, so it's not likely he was going to get out any time soon.

Yeah, I don't see any possible way he could've gotten out of jail. Cops had video tapes, online evidence, cell phone evidence, etc. They had a pretty stacked case, from what I understand.

I'm not convinced this was a suicide. How does one resist the body's natural reaction to rid itself of the plastic bag once suffocation begins? Seems to me this method of suicide would be very difficult.
I'm also very sorry for the families of his victims, as justice will never be realized for their loved ones. Markoff will never be a convicted murderer, just a suspected murderer. How sad.

bbm.....actually if you search "suicide plastic bag" on wiki, you will see there are quite a few suicides by using a "suicide bag"

Accused “Craigslist Killer” Philip Markoff was found suffocated with a plastic bag tied over his head, alone in his cell at Nashua Street Jail in Boston this morning, after apparently committing suicide, sources told the Herald.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1274824

I'm not convinced this was a suicide. How does one resist the body's natural reaction to rid itself of the plastic bag once suffocation begins? Seems to me this method of suicide would be very difficult.
I'm also very sorry for the families of his victims, as justice will never be realized for their loved ones. Markoff will never be a convicted murderer, just a suspected murderer. How sad.

bolded by me.

I've also wondered how he carried this out .

Possibly by the time he put the plastic bag over his head he was bleeding out and almost unconscious-- and thus able to resist the body's natural instinct to survive. Still, how did he manage to stuff paper down his throat and put the bag over his head, too, while bleeding profusely?

He must have been as strong as a bull physically to execute this plan (no pun intended). It would require him to be so methodical. It's really too gruesome to contemplate.

According to the news tonight there were surveillance cameras in the jail. They show the light in his cell going off at 1:59 am and nobody entering his cell until they went to look for him at 10:06 am.

As a medical student he knew exactly where to cut himself to bleed fast. He cut his cartid artery as well as several veins.

It's quite possible he cut some of the points, tied the bag, lay down and then felt the death cut. While the body may have natural reactions against plastic bags and tissue down the throat, suicides happen all the time. The body doesn't win.

I should also add that the jail in which he was held is Bostons new state of the art facility. Prisoners there have cells that are small but designed like rooms. They each have a door (no bars), cable TV and the bars on the one window are designed to look like verticle blinds.

According to the news tonight there were surveillance cameras in the jail. They show the light in his cell going off at 1:59 am and nobody entering his cell until they went to look for him at 10:06 am.

As a medical student he knew exactly where to cut himself to bleed fast. He cut his cartid artery as well as several veins.

It's quite possible he cut some of the points, tied the bag, lay down and then felt the death cut. While the body may have natural reactions against plastic bags and tissue down the throat, suicides happen all the time. The body doesn't win.

I should also add that the jail in which he was held is Bostons new state of the art facility. Prisoners there have cells that are small but designed like rooms. They each have a door (no bars), cable TV and the bars on the one window are designed to look like verticle blinds.

A cell designed like a hotel room? A door instead of bars would obviously prevent as to how much guards could see into the cell. Not that I worry about Mr. Markoff's suicide, but who comes up with this stuff? A cable TV? Really?

The jail cells are built with 6 sides. The four longer sides are walls with shorter angled sides being used for the doors and windows. That way checks can be done by just looiking in the window if the door. Nothing is hidden from view. There also appears to be a bar across the top of the window area because very often when I go by, I CSM see inmates doing pullups. The jail was built at this location a few years ago. It sits near the banks of the Charles River and some very high dollar condos. My guess is they wanted it to look as little like a jail as possible. I literally thought it was Suffolk Law School and not the Suffolk County Jail when I first saw it.

I am really intrigued by the whole "pocket" thing. I wonder what it means, or if we'll ever find out.

Me too, yeknomaras. I'd say there's either hidden money or a letter he left to her.

Leave it to this dude to kill himself and leave some secret message.:waitasec:

Watching 48 Hours now on this case and I'm sorry, I'm glad he took his own life. I'm sorry if his victims and their families feel cheated, but there is little doubt he was guilty and this outcome is what most would have wanted at the end of a trial. So there you have it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back