MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Karen's phone connected to John's Wi-Fi at 12:36. That matches perfectly with her hitting John just before 12:32 and speeding home in anger. It's a 4 or 5 minute drive.-- at 12:41 there's a voicemail where we only hear Karen's boots walking. We had been told by the defense for this last year that Karen arrived home at 12:41, and that this time was established by her boots walking and the garage door closing. This is probably truthful. It means she was parked in the driveway from 12:36 to 12:41. And remember, that RING video is missing, and only one person would benefit from that: Karen. She probably got out and examined her taillight.

5 AM, Karen called Kerry Roberts, said "John's dead", then hung up. She called back a minute later to say he had maybe been hit by a plow. Come on, people, this is not something you say just because your boyfriend didn't come home from the after hours.-- 5:18 she passes surveillance in her SUV downtown-- 5:23 she leaves a message for John that COULD be her saying, "John, is that you?" It's not clear. But 34 Fairview is 5 minutes from downtown. The timeline fits.-- 5:35 she arrives at the McCabes. There she tells Jen they have to go to Fairview. Look, in Karen's own words, she drove around for a while looking for John. If so, why wouldn't she go to Fairview? Why would that be on her mind when she got to the McCabes?

John and his phone never move after **12:32 **or 12:45 at the very very latest. (Signal strength)

These voicemails are so puzzling to me. Why does she leave a message 25 minutes after dropping him off that nobody knows where he is? Did she expect him to be home already after just dropping him off or was she just wasted??

Based on testimony, we have the following timeline:

12:24 a.m. arrive at 34 Fairview

12:27 a.m., JMc to JOK “Here!?" after seeing a dark SUV out front

12:29 a.m. JMc calls JOK (call log says answered, JMc says this was butt dial)

12:31 a.m. JMc texts JOK "Pull behind me." after seeing SUV move

12:36 a.m. KR arrives at JOK house

12:37 a.m. KR leaves voicemail “John I (expletive) hate you”

12:42 a.m. KR leaves voicemail with noises of footsteps

12:59 a.m. KR leaves voicemail “John I am here with your (expletive) kids. Nobody knows where the (expletive) you are. You (expletive) pervert,"

1:02 a.m. KR leaves voicemail no content

1:11 a.m. KR leaves voicemail “It's 1 a.m. I am with your (expletive) niece and nephew. You (expletive) pervert. You're a (expletive) pervert,"

1:18 a.m. KR leaves voicemail “John I am going home. I cannot believe (inaudible). I need to go home. You are (expletive) using me right now. You are (expletive) another girl. (Name redacted) is sleeping next to me. You are a (expletive) loser. (Expletive) yourself,"
ALIBI.

moo

Quite the contrary. Most people who kill their SO's leave loving messages to cover the crime. She was just mad that after they had the earlier argument and then he wanted her there during the blizzard that he was now repeating past behavior. He was a total push-pull guy. She wants to go away, come back, then go away again.

Made me kind of sick how he treated her.

Karen's phone connected to John's Wi-Fi at 12:36. That matches perfectly with her hitting John just before 12:32 and speeding home in anger. It's a 4 or 5 minute drive.-- at 12:41 there's a voicemail where we only hear Karen's boots walking. We had been told by the defense for this last year that Karen arrived home at 12:41, and that this time was established by her boots walking and the garage door closing. This is probably truthful. It means she was parked in the driveway from 12:36 to 12:41. And remember, that RING video is missing, and only one person would benefit from that: Karen. She probably got out and examined her taillight.

5 AM, Karen called Kerry Roberts, said "John's dead", then hung up. She called back a minute later to say he had maybe been hit by a plow. Come on, people, this is not something you say just because your boyfriend didn't come home from the after hours.-- 5:18 she passes surveillance in her SUV downtown-- 5:23 she leaves a message for John that COULD be her saying, "John, is that you?" It's not clear. But 34 Fairview is 5 minutes from downtown. The timeline fits.-- 5:35 she arrives at the McCabes. There she tells Jen they have to go to Fairview. Look, in Karen's own words, she drove around for a while looking for John. If so, why wouldn't she go to Fairview? Why would that be on her mind when she got to the McCabes?

John and his phone never move after **12:32 **or 12:45 at the very very latest. (Signal strength)
Johns phone never getting closer to the house or any other direction.
He was hit and layed there dying for unimaginable amount of time.

She could have called an ambulance :mad:

What I found most interesting today….
GPS data John never entered the house.
Karen called her parents @ 1:10, 4:40 and 4:42 in the morning. Things that make you go hmmmm.
This should have been exploited in court.

So many things show her guilt that just got swept away.......

She was asleep though right..... right. :rolleyes:

Quite the contrary. Most people who kill their SO's leave loving messages to cover the crime. She was just mad that after they had the earlier argument and then he wanted her there during the blizzard that he was now repeating past behavior. He was a total push-pull guy. She wants to go away, come back, then go away again.

Made me kind of sick how he treated her.
Karen's reaction to finding John's body says everything I need to know about how she felt about him. You can hear her wailing in the background of the 911 call. There is no way that's fake. She loved him, intensely.

I also don't believe she could have had such an intense and convincing reaction if she were pretending to have just found the body. That's not pretend. Her reaction fully convinces me that she just found the body, with no prior knowledge of it.

Last edited:
Karen's reaction to finding John's body says everything I need to know about how she felt about him. You can hear her wailing in the background of the 911 call. There is no way that's fake. She loved him, intensely.
yeah, of course she did.
Nobody has ever questioned that she loved John.

Her actions prove she did love John desperately. No matter how much he tried to get away.

It is my personal theory that John as he got out of the car told her it was over. Like really over.

:( a devastated highly emotionally charged DRUNK KR exploded and reacted.

I totally am understandable and compassionate even, to her to that point.
BUT then she drove off and left him to die..... and above that started alibi building.
Just unforgivable.

moo

But what’s stopping me from just saying she hit him is, why isn't there blood on the tail light pieces? Why doesn’t he have more injuries consistent with being hit by a car? Why does the fbi hired experts who, and obviously they haven’t testified yet but we are all under the presumption they will testify he wasn’t hit by a car

We also know originally the medically examiner disagreed as well with trooper proctor that it was 100% a homicide

If we ignore everything else, can you please explain these issues away to where she’s guilty for intentionally hitting JOK beyond a reasonable doubt

yeah, of course she did.

Her actions prove she did love John desperately. No matter how much he tried to get away.

It is my personal theory that John as he got out of the car told her it was over. Like really over.

BUT then she drove off and left him to die..... and above that started alibi building.
Just unforgivable.

dbm

yeah, of course she did.

Just unforgivable.

moo
If she were as drunk as the prosecution alleges, she wouldn't have had the presence of mind to think of anything like "alibi building." You can't have Karen be drunk and highly emotional and then at the same time have her coldly planning things out.

How do you explain Jen McCabe's call/text timeline and when she said she saw the SUV outside?

Didn’t he say it never moved after the 12:30ish time till it was found in the morning. I have to go listen again, because that was definitely my take from testimony.
Yeah. I got that time too

If she were as drunk as the prosecution alleges, she wouldn't have had the presence of mind to think of anything like "alibi building." You can't have be drunk and highly emotional and then at the same time have her coldly planning things out.
How do you know that?
No 2 people behave the same while intoxicated.

I am only guessing but I imagine if I had just done what LE say KR just done...you would get soberish pretty damn fast.

Adenalin over rides everything.

moo

If we had a different judge this would not get past a directed verdict because nothing has been proved by the CW. Very rare in many cases, I only saw it happen once and everyone was shocked.

I am looking forward to the defense case.

How do you know that?
No 2 people behave the same while intoxicated.

I am only guessing but I imagine if I had just done what LE say KR just done...you would get soberish pretty damn fast.

Adenalin over rides everything.
Based on videos and eyewitness testimony I've seen of drunk drivers who kill, that simply isn't true. They do not quickly sober up in the aftermath. That simply doesn't occur. It takes them a long time to recognize the gravity of the situation.

How do you explain Jen McCabe's call/text timeline and when she said she saw the SUV outside?
IMO white noise.
J Mc testimony correlates closely enough.
People are not anticipating something shocking is about to happen and I need to remember every miniscule detail of this moment 24/7 365.
To me her phone activity suggest EXACTLY what she said happened.

KR phone activity far more important.
Because it contradicts what she reckons happened.

I patiently waited... then I left. Not annoyed though..(ahem!!) Everything was fine... and I went home to Johns and slept like a baby.

Only thats proven to be not true by HER phone activity.

moo

If we had a different judge this would not get past a directed verdict because nothing has been proved by the CW. Very rare in many cases, I only saw it happen once and everyone was shocked.

I am looking forward to the defense case.
No. As much as I dislike Judge Bev and think she's biased towards the prosecution, there is no chance that we'd get a directed verdict of Not Guilty with a different judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mkmatti