MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It speaks to his awareness and ability to control his plow. Also, calls into question his specific recollection of times and events... when he can't put those same details to an event he actually reported vs. something oh.. he just happened not to report.

I'd also add... you're right... JO's body would not have been completely covered... buried... in snow at the times talked about. But... there would've been about an inch of snow on top of him and if you need an example of what that might look like... ChatGPT or other image creation tools can give you an idea (I don't think we're allowed to post such things here - but I could be wrong). Think camouflage. Not hidden, but certainly more difficult to discern than laying fully exposed... and then put that all together with a virtually moonless night, no nearby lighting, and it's snowing.
no nearby lighting except for the as testified virtual spotlight on the plow he was driving

JUNE 20, 2024

I haven't read the whole thing, but I saw this in the first paragraph:

The defense proposes something completely different: that Read is being framed by law enforcement officers—O’Keefe’s colleagues and best friends, who were among the last people to see him alive—and that his death was caused by a violent fight inside a former cop’s home.

I would not characterize any of the people inside the home as either John's colleagues nor his best friends.

I suspect the writer has only the most cursory knowledge of the case. Perhaps it caught their attention when Proctor's texts became national news, so they decided to write a story on it.

There actually is a large, highway style light on the other side of 34 Fairview. The area isn't in complete darkness and Lucky in his truck 100% would have seen a 6'2" body lying near the roadway.

Correct. You can see them on the 1st responder video that shows the drive up to the scene. The neighborhood wasn't as dark as it has been made out to be.

But there was pig DNA the defense was perfectly fine with introducing?

C'mon. Everything in this trial can't be, "imagine if this other thing happened. What? No, I don't have any evidence it happened... but imagine if it did!"

We're talking about dog DNA. ANY dog DNA. We aren't trying to determine if it was Rover... Spot... or Clifford. There was none. Zero. Zilch. Not a single speck.
The defense didn't have any choice about allowing the pig DNA info, and it's as useless as the lack of canine DNA since it is not known where the swabs were obtained on the shirt, or how the clothes were handled and stored.

It speaks to his awareness and ability to control his plow. Also, calls into question his specific recollection of times and events... when he can't put those same details to an event he actually reported vs. something oh.. he just happened not to report.

<modsnip - snarky> Most people will remember first hand knowledge related to a murder over details related to hitting a basketball hoop

Last edited by a moderator:
The defense didn't have any choice about allowing the pig DNA info, and it's as useless as the lack of canine DNA since it is not known where the swabs were obtained on the shirt, or how the clothes were handled and stored.
There was actually a murder case from a while ago where pig DNA was found on a scarf, and they eventually decided it came from the family dog whose favorite treat was pig ears. Susann Sills was the victim, if anyone wants to look it up. So who knows?

In the end, I can't look at John's arm wounds and the millimeter wide holes in his shirt and believe that they are all the result of a collision with a car. I've been wracking my brain for alternate theories. Maybe if someone hit his arm with a club that had a bunch of nails stuck in it? I've seen homemade weapons like that.

Nothing else really makes sense.

Was he sanding/salting?
I think he was sincere and he did not see anything that night.

I doubt he was the hypervigilant eagle-eyed protector of small animals the defense tried to paint for us. In any event, him not seeing anything isn't evidence that there was nothing there to see. Still, it muddies the water and adds to items a juror could grasp onto to find reasonable doubt.

I am wondering why no corroborating evidence for the time he was plowing? Doesn't he have a cell phone, people at the garage who saw him arrive etc..

I am wondering why no corroborating evidence for the time he was plowing? Doesn't he have a cell phone, people at the garage who saw him arrive etc..

It's that stellar investigation again. No one talked to Lucky for literal months and no one pulled any GPS data from the truck. However, it's my understanding the 2:30 am start for the plow drivers was confirmed.

I also totally believe he worries about animals like cats and squirrels. He seemed very sincere.

I think there's a difference between an attorney being combative with a witness who they think is being obstructive and/or not telling the truth, versus being combative with an eyewitness / expert witness who's just testifying to facts they don't like.

I don't recall Jackson or Yannetti ever being aggressive just because they disliked the testimony. So, for example they were pretty sharp with Katie McLaughlin because they thought she was minimizing her friendship with Caitlin Albert. But I don't remember them being so with the other firefighters, even though they also had some testimony that wasn't good for the defense.
They often don't even cross some of the witnesses.

So, who gave the command for the dog to attack?
I don't think there was a command. I think it was a reaction. My son's little dog is a Mini Australian Shepherd. Even if I am playfight with my son, she will come at me like no one's business. (Luckily she is pretty tiny!)

That said, I feel that a scuffle ensued shortly after John arrived at 34F. I think he went into the basement, or perhaps even around the backyard if he was summoned by someone over by the gate to the right side of the house by the garage. I truly think he was in that basement. But when the scuffle ensued, perhaps some tried to break something up and there may have been 2 or more people in the mix. I think Chloe got excited, jumped up to defend her master and tried latching onto JOKs arm, as they are trained to do. Due to the commotion, however, she never was really able to latch on and her teeth may have just grazed his arm and her claws scraped him up at the same time. Picture the dog lashing at the victim, with arm raised to protect the body, mouth in center trying to bit, paw on either side taking a swipe.

I think that is when JOK fell and whacked his head on something, likely a piece of exercise equipment. He bled out, they all panicked and I think the initial aggressor got out of dodge while the grownups "handled" the situation. I think they acted naturally until everyone went to bed. The calls between the 2 Brian's I am thinking were pretty quick. "Is it taken care of?" "Yeah, all taken care of."

The initial perp returned to the scene to help make sure everything was handled, meaning, he pulled up to the curb, and JOK was dead or close to dead. They dragged him out the bulkhead in the back yard, through the left side gate and straight out to the flagpole, as far as possible from the home.

Too bad they forgot about the snow plow guy.

I don't think there was a command. I think it was a reaction. My son's little dog is a Mini Australian Shepherd. Even if I am playfight with my son, she will come at me like no one's business. (Luckily she is pretty tiny!)

That said, I feel that a scuffle ensued shortly after John arrived at 34F. I think he went into the basement, or perhaps even around the backyard if he was summoned by someone over by the gate to the right side of the house by the garage. I truly think he was in that basement. But when the scuffle ensued, perhaps some tried to break something up and there may have been 2 or more people in the mix. I think Chloe got excited, jumped up to defend her master and tried latching onto JOKs arm, as they are trained to do. Due to the commotion, however, she never was really able to latch on and her teeth may have just grazed his arm and her claws scraped him up at the same time. Picture the dog lashing at the victim, with arm raised to protect the body, mouth in center trying to bit, paw on either side taking a swipe.

I think that is when JOK fell and whacked his head on something, likely a piece of exercise equipment. He bled out, they all panicked and I think the initial aggressor got out of dodge while the grownups "handled" the situation. I think they acted naturally until everyone went to bed. The calls between the 2 Brian's I am thinking were pretty quick. "Is it taken care of?" "Yeah, all taken care of."

The initial perp returned to the scene to help make sure everything was handled, meaning, he pulled up to the curb, and JOK was dead or close to dead. They dragged him out the bulkhead in the back yard, through the left side gate and straight out to the flagpole, as far as possible from the home.

Too bad they forgot about the snow plow guy.
It would of been informative too if any neighbor was up and heard and looked out the window and saw the Edge moving to that spot and perhaps who got out. Plenty of people take loo breaks middle of the night and so on. Just a coincidence of timing if that happened and dared say they 'saw something' when or IF any of LE came around and asked the neighbors if they noticed anything. They must of. (???)

It would of been informative too if any neighbor was up and heard and looked out the window and saw the Edge moving to that spot and perhaps who got out. Plenty of people take loo breaks middle of the night and so on. Just a coincidence of timing if that happened and dared say they 'saw something' when or IF any of LE came around and asked the neighbors if they noticed anything. They must of. (???)

They did not talk to any neighbors. The neighborhood was not canvassed. The only neighbor anyone talked to was the cop the Canton PD got the red solo cups from.

They did not talk to any neighbors. The neighborhood was not canvassed. The only neighbor anyone talked to was the cop the Canton PD got the red solo cups from.
Right, the incompetence never stops along with JMc and her fact of what happened. Not considered a citizen of Canton who got in the mix but a confirmed source of the event as it happened. Ridiculous.

I think he was sincere and he did not see anything that night.

I doubt he was the hypervigilant eagle-eyed protector of small animals the defense tried to paint for us. In any event, him not seeing anything isn't evidence that there was nothing there to see. Still, it muddies the water and adds to items a juror could grasp onto to find reasonable doubt.

“I think he was sincere and he did not see anything that night. “
I agree he was sincere. And I believe he also did not want to hit animals. All Gods creatures. I am the same way.
But I believe he mentioned he did see something that night. It was not John O’Keefes body ( seems nobody coming or going saw John’s body) but Lucky saw a light colored Ford Edge. The kind of car that we are told LE drive. Like Higgins and BA. Wondering why the presence of that car was never mentioned by any one else Bc darn don’t you know it was right in front of the flagpole. Right where John’s body was eventually found.
I loved it when Lally asked Lucky if he knew the difference between a ford edge and a jeep Cherokee ( in a sneering you couldn’t possibly know voice) and Lucky nailed it.
Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member