VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop Black

Former Member
Reaction score

Karen Read has been charged with second-degree murder, motor vehicle manslaughter and leaving the scene of a collision in the January 2022 death of her off-duty Boston Police Officer boyfriend John O'Keefe outside a Canton, Mass., home.

She's pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Leading up to his death, the couple of two years reportedly spent the night drinking and bar hopping with friends before Read, 43, dropped O'Keefe, 46, off at the home of a fellow off-duty police officer for an after-party, PEOPLE previously reported.

Prosecutors say as O'Keefe exited the vehicle, Read allegedly proceeded to make a three-point turn during a winter storm, striking her boyfriend in the process before driving off.

After O'Keefe failed to return home hours later, Read allegedly went looking for him, before finding his body in a snowbank outside the home where she allegedly left him.

Karen-Read-and-John-OKeefe-8c0b529e6823492aaf409a1c96c15ccc.jpg

john-okeefe-police-officer-dd6a844c30fa4341b2dba22774525391.jpg

Thread #1Thread #2 Thread #3Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11
Thread #12

Last edited by a moderator:
MOD NOTE:
- This is not a debate thread; it's a discussion thread.
- Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if it's different from yours.
- You don't have to reply to every post on the thread.
- Don't be a jerk, or I'll have to be a jerk. Being a jerk makes me cranky.

Please continue here.

@SueNBCBoston

Good news! I made it into the court!
Thanks to everyone who made it happen.
More details after the trial.
Now, on to Day 37 of the trial!
Follow along here.
We’re hearing that there may be some first-time spectators sitting with the O’Keefe family.
Will post when confirmed.

8:54 AM · Jun 25, 2024

@JHall7news

Good morning from Norfolk Superior Ct in Dedham. I'm in place in courtroom 25, ready for closing arguments in the #karenread You can see ir live on @7News - they should begin shortly after 9 am. The defense will go first with Alan Jackson getting an hour.

Jackson told me yesterday you will see a "motor mouth" act so he can get all of his comments in. He will use some visuals for the jury including photos of Karen Read's black Lexus, and the damage to the tail light.

1719320250817.png

Prosecutor Adam Lally will get the final say. He will also have 60 minutes for his closing. The Commonwealth also plans to use photos during this argument and a timeline of events in the days leading up to Jan 28-29 2022.

Then Judge Cannone will give the panel its instructions. There are 15 jurors (we started with 17, two women were dismissed from the panel.) 12 will be deliberating jurors. The judge already selected a jury foreperson at the start of this trial.

The jury does not yet know which 11 others will be deliberating - The jury will be chosen during the jury instructions, Cannone indicated yesterday. There are 9 women and six men on the jury. I expect deliberations to begin around 1.

They must find whether the state has proven three criminal charges beyond a reasonable doubt. The first is second degree murder. The second is manslaughter while drunk driving. The third is leaving the scene of a MV crash after serious injury or death.

sorry for typos!

@BienickWCVB

#KarenRead Good morning. Testimony is complete. Today we will hear closing arguments. Each side will get 1 hour. Then the judge will issue instructions to the jury. And the court clerk will randomly select 12 of the 15 jurors to deliberate.

Read and her attorneys are in the courtroom. She is hugging her family and friends who are sitting behind her. The prosecutors and the O'Keefe family are not yet here. Nor is the judge and jury.

The lectern the lawyers have been using used to be facing the witness stand. Now it is turned to face the jury box. This is the first time lawyers can speak directly to the jury since opening statements and the scene visit.

@JHall7news

Good morning from Norfolk Superior Ct in Dedham. I'm in place in courtroom 25, ready for closing arguments in the #karenread You can see ir live on @7News - they should begin shortly after 9 am. The defense will go first with Alan Jackson getting an hour.

Jackson told me yesterday you will see a "motor mouth" act so he can get all of his comments in. He will use some visuals for the jury including photos of Karen Read's black Lexus, and the damage to the tail light.

View attachment 513044

Prosecutor Adam Lally will get the final say. He will also have 60 minutes for his closing. The Commonwealth also plans to use photos during this argument and a timeline of events in the days leading up to Jan 28-29 2022.

Then Judge Cannone will give the panel its instructions. There are 15 jurors (we started with 17, two women were dismissed from the panel.) 12 will be deliberating jurors. The judge already selected a jury foreperson at the start of this trial.

The jury does not yet know which 11 others will be deliberating - The jury will be chosen during the jury instructions, Cannone indicated yesterday. There are 9 women and six men on the jury. I expect deliberations to begin around 1.

They must find whether the state has proven three criminal charges beyond a reasonable doubt. The first is second degree murder. The second is manslaughter while drunk driving. The third is leaving the scene of a MV crash after serious injury or death.

sorry for typos!
Thank you so much for all of these posts! You are wonderful!

@BienickWCVB

The crowd outside the courthouse is bigger than it has been throughout the trial. Plenty of Read supporters but also some new people. I met a woman who came with her son because he's been following the case.

O'Keefe's family begins to enter the courtroom. His brother Paul and his mother are among them. Also with the O'Keefe's: Colin Albert, Jen McCabe and Brian Albert. One woman with the O'Keefe's is crying and handing out tissues.

This jury really has no choice. Even if you think KR caused this death you must vote NG as too much reasonable doubt. CW just did not meet the standards for a guilty verdict. I think. that will be the decision even with some maybe questioning some things

@BienickWCVB

Kerry Roberts is also with the O'Keefe family. The court clerk has just brought in the evidence box. Assistant District Attorneys Adam Lally and Laura McLaughlin arrive and take their seats. Still no judge and jury.

The courtroom is very quiet. Few people are talking. They're speaking in hushed tones. Paul O'Keefe's wife, Erin, is rubbing his back. Read and her attorneys are not talking. Alan Jackson just took a deep breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli