VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the planting of the Albert and McCabe families up front and center, it makes me wonder if Lally is planning on defending them ( again ) instead of pursuing Karen Read during his closing. WHY do they have to be at the center of everything???
Yeah I mean it's interesting to me how those who think KR is guilty have stated many times "its KR on trial not the Alberts/McCabe's" and yet the prosecution spent time defending THEM, instead of actually providing enough evidence of KR's guilt...jmo

This jury really has no choice. Even if you think KR caused this death you must vote NG as too much reasonable doubt. CW just did not meet the standards for a guilty verdict. I think. that will be the decision even with some maybe questioning some things
I believe she is guilty, But I can absolutely see how the Jury finds reasonable doubt. Karen Read had excellent defense attorneys and completely outmatched the DA.

Cynical as I am I assume the motives behind McCabes and Alberts suddenly showing up are self serving. Message to the jury being one of them. Jmo
Exactly this! It's a message to show what side JO's family are on, it's powerful got to hand it to them. Stupid and detrimental to themselves further down the line? You BET. jmo

@KristinaRex

Here: a thread for closing arguments in the #KarenReadTrial. I need to focus on paying attention as much as posting here, so I'll post notable quotes or summaries in the moment and bring you full reports after they end.

Again, four witnesses in the case are sitting with the O'Keefe family today: Kerry Roberts, Brian Albert, Jen McCabe, and Colin Albert.

1719322118361.png

1719322137356.png

Judge Cannone is currently meeting with a juror at sidebar. It's a middle aged woman who has been expressive over the course of trial, moreso than other jurors. A reminder that the judge picks the foreperson -- unclear if that's what's happening here. I'll update.

@SueNBCBoston

Judge directs the court officers to turn the pool camera to the fan.
A juror walks in.

They are all at the sidebar.
This juror had been very engaged during the trial, and I often cite her reactions.

The juror steps to the side as the judge as counsel discuss.
The juror is dressed very professionally today.

The juror is standing to the side with her arms folded in front of her.
Now she leaves the courtroom.

The sidebar conference continues with the judge, defense, and prosecution.

With the planting of the Albert and McCabe families up front and center, it makes me wonder if Lally is planning on defending them ( again ) instead of pursuing Karen Read during his closing. WHY do they have to be at the center of everything???
It reminds me of their arrogance and self centredness, maybe also some in the jury. Tone deaf, self absorbed much like Lally's whole case. moo

@JHall7news

One of the jurors has just been called up to the side bar.

The full jury has not yet been seated in the courtroom. The female juror shook her head as she spoke to Cannone. Now she steps away and folds her arms. She looks a bit frustrated to me. She sighs deeply. The judge is discussing this situation, whatever it is - with the lawyers

@BienickWCVB

The judge enters the courtroom and tells the lawyers she needs to see them at the bench for a sidebar. The courtroom camera is now turned on. Read is looking at the lawyers.

View attachment 513046

One of the jurors has just been brought into the courtroom. She enters with her hands on her hips and walks up to the bench. The judge is speaking with her.

This is one of the jurors that was previously questioned by the judge prior to another juror being dismissed. She's standing with her arms crossed.

The juror just shrugged her shoulders as the judge said something to her. Now she steps away from the bench. The judge and the lawyers are talking.

I wish we could pay premium to hear what goes on at sidebar, I'd fork over at least $19.99 a day for that privilege, maybe $39.99 for this trial.

@BienickWCVB

The juror has a detemined look on her face. She's standing with her arms crossed and her back against the wall as the judge and the lawyers talk. One of the court officers just led her out of the courtroom.

The judge leaves the courtroom. The lawyers return to their tables. Read and her attorneys are standing in a huddle. ADA Lally is sitting at the table reviewing notes.

@KristinaRex

Here: a thread for closing arguments in the #KarenReadTrial. I need to focus on paying attention as much as posting here, so I'll post notable quotes or summaries in the moment and bring you full reports after they end.

Again, four witnesses in the case are sitting with the O'Keefe family today: Kerry Roberts, Brian Albert, Jen McCabe, and Colin Albert.

View attachment 513047

View attachment 513048

Judge Cannone is currently meeting with a juror at sidebar. It's a middle aged woman who has been expressive over the course of trial, moreso than other jurors. A reminder that the judge picks the foreperson -- unclear if that's what's happening here. I'll update.
This is not picking a foreperson, they have a few alternates so have to whittle that down. If you pick a foreperson now, you won't know if they make the cut or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member