VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop Black

Former Member
Reaction score

Karen Read has been charged with second-degree murder, motor vehicle manslaughter and leaving the scene of a collision in the January 2022 death of her off-duty Boston Police Officer boyfriend John O'Keefe outside a Canton, Mass., home.

She's pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Leading up to his death, the couple of two years reportedly spent the night drinking and bar hopping with friends before Read, 43, dropped O'Keefe, 46, off at the home of a fellow off-duty police officer for an after-party, PEOPLE previously reported.

Prosecutors say as O'Keefe exited the vehicle, Read allegedly proceeded to make a three-point turn during a winter storm, striking her boyfriend in the process before driving off.

After O'Keefe failed to return home hours later, Read allegedly went looking for him, before finding his body in a snowbank outside the home where she allegedly left him.

Karen-Read-and-John-OKeefe-8c0b529e6823492aaf409a1c96c15ccc.jpg

john-okeefe-police-officer-dd6a844c30fa4341b2dba22774525391.jpg

Thread #1Thread #2 Thread #3Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11
Thread #12 Thread #13

Last edited by a moderator:
MOD NOTE:
- This is not a debate thread; it's a discussion thread.
- Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if it's different from yours.
- You don't have to reply to every post on the thread.
- Don't be a jerk, or I'll have to be a jerk. Being a jerk makes me cranky.

ADMIN NOTE:

It is clear in Websleuths TOS that name variations are not allowed.

Whether you like her or not, it is disrespectful to the court to refer to the judge as "Auntie Bev" or "Bev".

She is Judge Beverly Cannone (or Judge Cannone, or simply the Judge).

NAME CALLING and DEROGATORY NAME VARIATIONS

In an effort to keep case discussion constructive, name calling, general bashing and using derogatory name variations for any of the case players is not tolerated. Regardless of how we may feel about many of the people who are the focus of our discussion here, it is always best to elevate the conversation and avoid this type of posting behavior. Feel free to express your displeasure with individuals that are being discussed, just avoid petty nastiness, name calling, name changes/variations, and over the top rude posts directed at case players.

Initials may be used, and are encouraged.

The one thing I'm certain of is that if the jury does end up convicting her, then they'll end up regretting it once they learn about all that was kept from them. They'll never be able to say with a straight face that they were 100% sure it was beyond a reasonable doubt, especially once they hear about the FBI investigation.

RE sert after watching a replay; The judge told jury that they have all the evidence in this case and they won't receive any additional evidence. I think it was made clear to jury that a sert report was never brought into evidence by the commonwealth. Given jury's question, seems to me they were probably discussing testimony by sert dude who made ref to his report.. So a sert report was referred to in testimony but the actual report never entered as an exhibit. just an educated guess.

I'd guess jury wanted to cross check what sert dude said with their actual report. Without reviewing sert dude testimony my take is that jury understands a sert report exists but it was kept out of evidence. ICBW but not going to check testimony so my best guess.

RE sert after watching a replay; The judge told jury that they have all the evidence in this case and they won't receive any additional evidence. I think it was made clear to jury that a sert report was never brought into evidence by the commonwealth. Given jury's question, seems to me they were probably discussing testimony by sert dude who made ref to his report.. So a sert report was referred to in testimony but the actual report never entered as an exhibit. just an educated guess.

I'd guess jury wanted to cross check what sert dude said with their actual report. Without reviewing sert dude testimony my take is that jury understands a sert report exists but it was kept out of evidence. ICBW but not going to check testimony so my best guess.
100% agree with you. And I’d assume it would be glaringly obvious to the jury there probably aren’t any good reasons why the prosecution wouldn’t want the report entered into evidence. Not sure they’ll make the connection that there isn’t a report at all but clearly it’s not good there is no record of the search entered at trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rouark50