MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
RBBM As in my response above. I do think this is where we disagree and that's fine. I don't think state evidence, if it includes JO's autopsy and ME, implies he was hit by car. Imo what the cw did was try to make their evidence imply it; by implicitly asking jury to join them in looking the other way re absence of injuries and discordant arm wounds. Moo

ETA just to be a bit technical, we do know what caused JO's death. I'm no medico but understand from testimony COD stemmed from the effects of the head wound; the basal fracture caused spreading fractures from back of head to the front behind the eyes, which set off a course of bodily events (brain swelling and bleeding) that eventaully lead to respiratory failure (I understand from testimony that DR Sheridan and the ME were in agreement re COD, Sheridan, who reviewed autopsy docs, agreed with ME findings).

What we don't know, what cw failed to prove BARD, was manner of death or circumstances or events that lead to his death. Which I know is what you're saying! (I also know this is a bit pedantic, is just the way my mind works sometimes when tracing back my thoughts and own implicit assumptions.) moo

RSBM

For me the state's argument used circular reasoning to explain away the facts that don't fit so well with their theory. In other words, you start with "SUV reversing at high speed" and end with "victim with tail light debris" then claim that the bits in between 'must have happened' instead of proving how they were consistent.

IMO

I don't know if Youtube links are approved here, but the time stamp on the video is shortly before 11:58. The band is moving out their equipment. A very agitated BH can be seen repeatedly gesturing and saying something in John's direction. He's restrained by an Albert (Looks like Brian to me but everyone else says it's Chris. Lots of these guys seem to have lost a lot of weight since that night).
I watched the short clip of this on Twitter.
Hadn't Chris Albert already left and walked home by then? I can't recall from CA's testimony at what time he left, but I thought he left earlier than the others. He got home, freezing and shivering, because of the weather and he only had his sweater on (no coat). HIs wife was already in bed and he got into bed as soon as he got home because he was so cold.
When I look at this clip, the other guy resembles BA, although BA had a coat on earlier in the video, but none here.
To me, it seems that the man who grabbed BH's arm looked more agitated than BH did.
I don't see BH giving a finger. It looks like he's motioning for someone to come with him several times.
As for their weight loss, they all likely had to take a hard look at their drinking after everything that went down. I think they lost their obese/sloppy drinking weight!
MOO.
ETA: I just read the Admin post about unapproved sources/discussion. I'm not sure if this should be discussed since I didn't see it presented at the trial, (although I'm only on Day 11) and another poster said the judge didn't allow it.

Last edited:
I also feel like the fact that NONE of the jurors have spoken out is extremely telling. It makes me think they’re scared to do so.

There's nothing stopping any of the jurors from releasing a statement. They don't have to go in front of the cameras.

I wonder if they're negotiating with media outlets as a group because they want to get paid. Perhaps they've signed an exclusive deal with Netflix, Dateline or whomever.

It is one where Higgins is leaving by the exit, not by the bar any longer, Chris Albert grabs his arm as to stop him, then Higgins yells something towards John, bullyish stance and manner, then before finally leaving he throws the finger it appears. He had texted John if he was coming to Fairview, but forget that timeline. They wanted him there, esp HIggins due to the unfortunate tete a tete with KR weeks previously. Brian ALBERT's house, Brian is very bad all along in general. Beating at least two other people, one a firefighter and one a cop.
Oh wow I’ve never seen that. I don’t think the AJ confronted BH (or anyone else) during cross, did he? Geez wish he would have. MOO
ETA… if I remember correctly the only part of the waterfall video that AJ questioned BH and BA about was the part where they were “play fighting”. How did BA put it multiple times? (part of the script?) “… just being silly with my buddy”.

Last edited:
If this story is true, then 9 jurors actually felt that she DID hit him with the car. Even after the FBI hired experts stated categorically that it didn't happen. But what I don't understand is why there wouldn't have been a separate acquittal for the first 2 charges? This is a joke.

I watched the short clip of this on Twitter.
Hadn't Chris Albert already left and walked home by then? I can't recall from CA's testimony at what time he left, but I thought he left earlier than the others. He got home, freezing and shivering, because of the weather and he only had his sweater on (no coat). HIs wife was already in bed and he got into bed as soon as he got home because he was so cold.
When I look at this clip, the other guy resembles BA, although BA had a coat on earlier in the video, but none here.
To me, it seems that the man who grabbed BH's arm looked more agitated than BH did.
I don't see BH giving a finger. It looks like he's motioning for someone to come with him several times.
As for their weight loss, they all likely had to take a hard look at their drinking after everything that went down. I think they lost their obese/sloppy drinking weight!
MOO.
ETA: I just read the Admin post about unapproved sources/discussion. I'm not sure if this should be discussed since I didn't see it presented at the trial, (although I'm only on Day 11) and another poster said the judge didn't allow it.
Hi Forest Wood, just want to say, for me (and probably everyone else here) who watched at least most of the trial in real time, it’s so interesting to see your thoughts and opinions as you watch through now, day by day. Thank you for sharing!
MOO

I think it’s just pondering options of what could’ve caused the skull fracture if it all went down outside. The experts testified that severe of a skull fracture would not have occurred from hitting his head on the ground alone. So that leaves the fire hydrant, flag pole, another vehicle, the snow plow, or something someone welded to strike him. Not any other realistic options for it to have occurred outside IMO.
There was blood on the snow (photos), his face (three women) and under him. So why was he still bleeding when he ended up there. Really so many questions. I think that is why it ended up a mistrial...

I thought there was evidence shown in court that her vehicle data showed that the only time it did a fast reverse was AFTER the cops had it towed into their garage and it was no longer in KR's possession. Like the cops had done the reverse themselves while testing it, trying to recreate what may have happened that night. It was in the "key cycle" (or ignition cycle) chart.
Yes sunspun….. excellent points raised here!^^^

And I also found the entire key cycle car ‘start’ evidence confusing. I imagine that Lexus has a key fob which might ‘awaken’ the vehicle when it is near it as one approaches within a few feet. And one need only depress the ignition start button once entered and seated with foot on the brake and the vehicle is off and in park. And with newer vehicle electronics that needs to be better examined IMO. Which cycle or event corresponds with each activity? That IIRC was not suitably explained IMO.

And on the subject of the Lexus LX 570; it was IMO well proven that a vehicle did not strike the individual and did not cause the injuries sustained or described. If the CW believed that was not the case, why wasn’t a full accident reconstruction conducted? Showing exactly how the events unfolded and the vehicle surface(s) that caused each injury and how? Including to the arm, head, and IIRC hands? And with input or assistance of Lexus who I imagine has full CAD designs and images available for that entire vehicle and all of its surfaces, edges, and protrusions, etc.

IMO the fact this type of reconstruction was not done is because it cannot be done, the CW does not believe it possible, or there are other undisclosed reasons.

And yet….. this judge IIUC is again moving full steam ahead to have this case retried? SMH. MOO

Thanks for posting this @twall . Now we finally know the splits!

I figured that as soon as the defense found out and it was in KR’s favor, they would be sure to get that info out….but tmz of all places. Surely more media will report on this.

I agree about AJ’s comments. moo

I can't get over the fact that the whole CCTV bar video was not allowed in. From the moment that JO and KR walked in. In a clip I saw BH, KR and JO were all at the end of the table, with KR in the middle at the end. Something was seriously wrong with KR and JO's relationship. Men fighting over women is as old as humankind. BUT, watching BH's testimony for the 3rd time makes me think that whatever happened was an accident. Speaking about JO's kids brought tears to his eyes.

Maybe Albert's did not want the notoriety of someone getting killed or seriously hurt in their home. BUT, still can't get over that no one admits they saw JO go into the house. And if so the greatest coverup...

If it's really true that the jury voted for acquittal on two of the charges, then the judge has badly erred. Either she never bothered to ask the jury or she never informed the defense. Either way this would be a serious violation of a defendant's right to not be re-tried for the same crime.

Interesting tweet from Ted Daniels who has covered the trial extensively. In light of the TMZ article, we now have a new motion filing for dismissal, and a new attorney for the defense was added. Go figure !!

According to his website, Weinberg specializes in appeals.

A former director of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and a current co-chair of NACDL’s Lawyers’ Assistance Strike Force, Martin G. Weinberg is consistently ranked among the nation’s best litigators and appellate advocates by the legal community. He has been repeatedly recognized for his accomplishments as a trial and appellate attorney, educator, and legal expert. He has represented accused defendants in over twenty federal district courts, eight U.S. Courts of Appeals, and in the U.S. Supreme Court, where he successfully argued the landmark Fourth Amendment case of United States v. Chadwick. Martin G. Weinberg was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers in 2022, an honor conferred on one attorney a year for preeminence as a criminal defense attorney.

Thank you for the link twall!….. in light of this reporting, perhaps IMO a reason for why this case is being rushed again is apparent? Before all the dust settles and more is revealed.

Unbelievable. And if that reporting is accurate or even close, then why weren’t verdicts obtained or rendered for some of the charges? At least two of them by that count? I will sit on my hand and complete the rest of what I am thinking. IANAL. MOO

Now, intuitively I felt that this case had a political side to it, but never bothered to read the bio of some county DA across the county. Now I did - and strongly feel that maybe the reason I encounter “DA Morrissey” all the time during KR’s trial has a certain meaning. I am going to watch this case, just for curiosity.

In light of this information, this hearing on July 22 should be interesting….
Or do you think it will be postponed now?

IANAL, but I believe the information released leaves HUGE Doubt as to why the judge declared a mistrial, without conferring with the defense. I read Alan Jackson's motion, it is alarming at best.

It appears to me, that the decision to declare a mistrial was to save face for the CW, so they can still hang their guilty of murder hat on KR. Get a second bite at the apple.

KR was acquitted of murder ! And the judge let it go....(The beach was calling ) No option to speak with attorneys before or after, no discussion of the charges or findings....just.. "Byeeee". I call foul too !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kelly Jean
Back