MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SBM. I think we can all agree on this. It's tragic on so many levels.
Also from last night.,.,
1:07 mark Kerry is shown the picture of back of the car from the wellness check.
19:14 mark she talks about John only having 1 black eye when she first seen him.

Judge Beverly Cannone.

I think she'll have to speak to each juror individually and ask each if they intended to find Read not guilty on counts 1 and 3. If all 12 are definitive that they did, she'll have to grant the motion, IMO.

But I suspect she'll find enough ambiguity in their responses to deny the motion. Even though she's the one who screwed up here in not clarifying whether they were hung on all counts.
Thanks HarmonyE! I was afraid of that. Is anyone confident in the motion being considered at all, in any legitimate way, given Judge Canonne’s bias?

MOO

For those who watched the trial, we know the ME testified a beating was absolutely possible.

We also heard the CW's dog DNA expert admit that she had no idea how/where John's clothing was swabbed (hint, they came from Michael Proctor) and that dog's claws tend not to transmit DNA because they consist of mostly dead tissue.

And finally, there was pig ear DNA on the clothing. I don't think John likely ate any pig ears that night, but we know many dog treats are made with pig ears.

Wait, what? I heard that it was porcine DNA (derived from a pig), I didn't hear that it was specifically pig ear DNA. How would they even distinguish pig ear DNA from other types of epithelial DNA? Could you share how you know this?

House picture with corresponding floor plan - entrances circled. JO definitely could have come in the front door and gone down the basement stairs without being seen by anyone in the kitchen or dining room. But IMO someone would have needed to show him where to go if this was his first time at the house.

View attachment 516531
IMO if I was rolling up on this house at midnight and parked in front of the house. I wouldn't even probably know the green circled door is there. I'd walk into the blue circled door. It looks like walls block view from kitchen and dining room. He may have heard everyone but assumed they were in the basement. Just a thought. However I don't believe what occurred happened right away in the basement. Maybe the guys all went to the basement after he arrived and that's when it all went down. I believe it was BH not CA. Although CA testimony of not remembering anything except the exact time he left was pretty shady. I think BH and JOK got into over KR. JMO

IMO if I was rolling up on this house at midnight and parked in front of the house. I wouldn't even probably know the green circled door is there. I'd walk into the blue circled door. It looks like walls block view from kitchen and dining room. He may have heard everyone but assumed they were in the basement. Just a thought. However I don't believe what occurred happened right away in the basement. Maybe the guys all went to the basement after he arrived and that's when it all went down. I believe it was BH not CA. Although CA testimony of not remembering anything except the exact time he left was pretty shady. I think BH and JOK got into over KR. JMO

I think they were all drunk and what started as words between two people escalated to 2 or 3 humans on 1 (JOK), with Chloe jumping into the fray out of fear/protection. Just being a dog, poor thing.

IMO MOO

Thanks HarmonyE! I was afraid of that. Is anyone confident in the motion being considered at all, in any legitimate way, given Judge Canonne’s bias?

MOO

If she does deny the motion, I'm sure they will immediately appeal. I think this is the very reason that they added Martin G. Weinberg to the defense team. He's a very respected, very senior attorney and has experience in arguing before the appellate courts.

There's another factor to consider as well. If this double-jeopardy situation gets appealed, then it could take years to litigate. And any retrial would remain on hold for as long as it remains unresolved. Michael Morrissey, however, is up for reelection in two years. Considering how divisive this case is within the county, it's not at all unlikely that there will be a new DA by the time the retrial is scheduled, and they may have a very different view of this case and the likelihood of a guilty verdict.

If she does deny the motion, I'm sure they will immediately appeal. I think this is the very reason that they added Martin G. Weinberg to the defense team. He's a very respected, very senior attorney and has experience in arguing before the appellate courts.

There's another factor to consider as well. If this double-jeopardy situation gets appealed, then it could take years to litigate. And any retrial would remain on hold for as long as it remains unresolved. Michael Morrissey, however, is up for reelection in two years. Considering how divisive this case is within the county, it's not at all unlikely that there will be a new DA by the time the retrial is scheduled, and they may have a very different view of this case and the likelihood of a guilty verdict.
So curious how this case made it into trial. The politics behind it.

Was the defense 100% on board? Did they even have a choice?

If the physics don't match, a good reconstruction expert would rule out a vehicle pedestrian incident.
The end around the 3:50 mark, think Lally did very well and it came down to many possibilities on a side swipe.

So curious how this case made it into trial. The politics behind it.

Was the defense 100% on board? Did they even have a choice?

There's plenty of information about Norfolk County DA Michael Morrissey and his personal involvement with this matter. He personally vouched for Michael Proctor. Most political pundits here think he'll retire now because of this case. He's up for re-election in 2026.

What do you man by the defense being on board? On board with what in particular?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinTonic
Back