MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BOSTON — A slew of Worcester County drug cases will be retried after a judge ruled that “egregious” conduct in the form of secret recordings made by Massachusetts State Police tainted the cases and denied defendants’ their right to pursue “vital defenses” at trial.

“The court finds the MSP had actual knowledge that the recordings were made and being made, and they were aware of their obligations to turn said recordings over to the Worcester DA’s Office. The court also finds that certain financial incentives (promises, reward and inducements) given to the defendants, in the vast majority of cases, were not disclosed to the defense,” LoConto wrote in his order.
“The court further finds these violations to be egregious conduct that prevented the defendants from investigating and possibly implementing vital defenses that may have been available to each defendant,” Loconto continued. “For all of the above reasons, the court concludes that justice may not have been done in the above cases.”

AI technology I suspect.
It was too perfect to be written by an average person IMO.

ChatGPT effort: one group of several suggestion:

Here are some refined ways to express that you can't agree on a point:

- "It appears we have a fundamental difference of opinion on this matter."
- "We seem to be unable to find common ground on this issue."
- "It looks like we can't reach a mutual understanding on this point."
- "Our views on this topic do not align."
- "We are at an impasse and unable to agree on this issue."

Read’s defense attorneys have blasted Proctor and Albert’s handling of the investigation, alleging the two and others were part of a conspiracy to frame their client.

Proctor acknowledged on the stand that he and Albert communicated about coordinating aspects of the O’Keefe case even though the Canton Police Department recused itself from the investigation due to the Albert brothers’ connection to the case.

Albert did not testify during the 9-week trial that featured 74 witnesses taking the stand. Rafferty placed him on leave a day after Proctor testified he and the Canton police officer were drinking buddies.

Defense Attorney Alan Jackson took exception to text messages the two exchanged the morning after a night of drinking in July 2022 that revealed Albert had left his badge in Proctor’s cruiser.

“Which means you were drinking and driving in your cruiser, right?” Jackson asked before Proctor responded, “From what I remember, we were down on the Cape working on a cold case together, and I stopped for dinner, had a few beers, and then dropped him off.”

I couldn't help but see this as I scrolled by!

Gordon Ramsey was lucky enough to survive his accident, and therefor develop bruises. Bruises take hours/days to develop.

JO didn't survive because he died of hyperthermia first. So no bruises.

JMO
This isn't necessarily true. Depending on the impact/trauma bruises can appear pretty quickly. If an injury is significant enough to cause bleeding under the skin it can appear immediately. The fact he didn't die instantly, and there were no bruises after "apparently" being struck with a vehicle is very unusual. Also stated by experts on the stand during the trial. JMO.

In the wake of Proctor's suspension, just a reminder about what DA Michael Morrissey said about him last August when he made his inappropriate, extrajudicial comments:

In addition to having no opportunity to plant evidence as has been suggested, Trooper Proctor would have no motive to do so: Trooper Proctor had no close personal relationship with any of the parties involved in the investigation, had no conflict, and had no reason to step out of the investigation. Every suggestion to the contrary is a lie.

Has any of the Boston-area media bothered to ask Morrissey if he continues to stand by his endorsement of Trooper Proctor?

Last edited:
Read’s defense attorneys have blasted Proctor and Albert’s handling of the investigation, alleging the two and others were part of a conspiracy to frame their client.

Proctor acknowledged on the stand that he and Albert communicated about coordinating aspects of the O’Keefe case even though the Canton Police Department recused itself from the investigation due to the Albert brothers’ connection to the case.

Albert did not testify during the 9-week trial that featured 74 witnesses taking the stand. Rafferty placed him on leave a day after Proctor testified he and the Canton police officer were drinking buddies.

Defense Attorney Alan Jackson took exception to text messages the two exchanged the morning after a night of drinking in July 2022 that revealed Albert had left his badge in Proctor’s cruiser.

“Which means you were drinking and driving in your cruiser, right?” Jackson asked before Proctor responded, “From what I remember, we were down on the Cape working on a cold case together, and I stopped for dinner, had a few beers, and then dropped him off.”

AJ is a master communicator:
“Which means that you were…. .. right”?

“You destroyed your phone didn’t you’

‘That’s destroying your phone’

A couple things about this that stand out:

• Kevin Albert had nothing to do with this case, because the Canton Police had been recused altogether from handling the Read case. But here the lead LE investigator had KA arranging and scheduling meetings on his behalf. That is truly unbelievable! Not only because he is the brother of the person's property where the body was found, but because he had absolutely no authority to be involved and was never assigned to the case from the beginning. KA knew this and so did MP. This is such a breach of the public's trust.
  • Proctor had the nerve and the poor judgment to be drinking while on duty and getting behind the wheel of a police cruiser. I suspect not his first or last time drinking and driving a police cruiser while being responsible for investigating others. No wonder he couldn't conduct a proper investigation as needed. Entirely incompetent and unfit for duty.
MOO.

This isn't necessarily true. Depending on the impact/trauma bruises can appear pretty quickly. If an injury is significant enough to cause bleeding under the skin it can appear immediately. The fact he didn't die instantly, and there were no bruises after "apparently" being struck with a vehicle is very unusual. Also stated by experts on the stand during the trial. JMO.
Interesting Moonstrawbs…… and it seems another element that needs to be examined in more detail with those factors, is the matter relating to the victim’s body temperature and time of death. IIRC there was some indication that the recorded temperature when he was found (was it perhaps ~80 F) didn’t seem to align with the time when he might have wound up in that location? (Pretty sure something along those lines is up thread but I’ll not be able to find it now.) Weather, temperature, wind speed, humidity, snowfall and other factors also need to be included in that analysis IMO. Depending on the conclusions formed that might further aid the defense perspective and contribute to additional reasonable doubt. MOO

In the wake of Proctor's suspension, just a reminder about what DA Michael Morrissey said about him last August when he made his inappropriate, extrajudicial comments:

In addition to having no opportunity to plant evidence as has been suggested, Trooper Proctor would have no motive to do so: Trooper Proctor had no close personal relationship with any of the parties involved in the investigation, had no conflict, and had no reason to step out of the investigation. Every suggestion to the contrary is a lie.

Has any of the Boston-area media bothered to ask Morrissey if he continues to stand by his endorsement of Trooper Proctor?

What??!!! This guy made this statement before the trial?
He used his role as a DA as if he's a judge, stating witnesses are innocent.
What a mickey mouse club!
MOO

This case has been a learning experience for me.
I started watching trial late, and after only watching some of the key witnesses, came to a conclusion. Not 100% but close enough. I was watching testimonies with a bias I did not realize I had.

Now, much later I have changed my mind 180 degrees. I am convinced there was a massive coverup of the murder of JO. And I applaud the defense attorneys for all the hard work they did against very powerful people.

I hope IA and FBI are able to break this case wide open. And in the end KR is able to bring some civil suits as well.

I support LE, but this case and others of late have been eye opening. Their mission is to protect the innocent, not themselves. I hope all the people involved in the coverup pay some sort of penalty, and the truth finally comes out, whatever it is.

Last edited:

Thank you for this article! This just seems to be par for the course at MSP! They are ignoring "procedure" and this stood out to me in the article:

did not perform even the “bare minimum” of his obligations regarding the setting up of the video capture software used, which included changing the default setting to not record to comply with state law.
LoConto wrote that despite them testifying that either they were unaware of the recordings or that the recordings were made only for “officer safety” — which is a carve-out in the Wiretap Statute — there was significant evidence that the recordings were intentional and done outside of the legal parameters allowed in the investigations.

“The court would characterize much of the testimony by members of the MSP to have been a denial of responsibility, attempts to shift responsibility, an inability to recall salient details, parsed answers, and a general lack of acknowledgement as to the gravity of the situation,” LoConto wrote.

IMVHO Sounds very familiar to the investigation in to KR!!

What??!!! This guy made this statement before the trial?
He used his role as a DA as if he's a judge, stating witnesses are innocent.
What a mickey mouse club!
MOO
It is bewildering isn’t it Forest_Wood?

And sadly, there is the lost life of the victim JOK and the question of the innocence (not guilty) or guilt of the defendant KR also dangling right in front of this?

Shout out to fluffypaste here!!!!….. who just earlier today said up in this thread….. ‘ thank goodness this trial was filmed, else no one would believe it happened. ‘ Still SMH on what has been observed and witnessed in this trial. MOO

The FBI are on it!
From the quoted 1/19/24 link:

“The Norfolk D.A.’s Office and the Karen Read defense team participated in a conference call yesterday with a representative of the U.S Attorney’s Office. The U.S. Attorney confirmed during that conference call, confirmed for both parties, that not only has there been a federal investigation of this case, but it is ongoing. It’s not over,” Yannetti said. “It is clear from those letters that District Attorney Morrissey is well aware he’s the target of a federal investigation as a result of his conduct in this case.”

Cold case of John Adams

Probably the biggest “jaw on the floor” moment for me, and this case was a cornucopia of them.

Deeply held beliefs, individual principles and moral convictions… imo, this is precisely the reason facts/science/logic in this case (with a truck load of reasonable doubt at every corner) did not prevail.
And imo NOT ANY of the three ( deeply held beliefs/individual principles/ moral convictions) should be a consideration in deciding KR’s guilt or innocence.

Was this an opportunity for Bev to go into a meeting with the jurors and re explain their duties such as impartial/ weigh the evidence/ etc. Or It is that a Nono ?

I don’t even know how deeply held beliefs could enter into this. Does that mean religious, cultural or what? Was there someone who believed it’s the woman’s job to look out after the man, so by default she is guilty. Someone who does not believe in pre marital sex or drinking ? I am reaching but it’s kind of mind boggling.
That note alone would have been grounds for the victim to seek a new trial imo. As it turns out there was no need lol.

I think Bev let this jury go very far afield and it appears there was a true lack of strong leadership in that room. And some very confused jurors as to what they duty was/ what they swore to do.
Of course all my opinion.

Also, Morrissey claimed that in the 12 years he has been DA he has never issued this type of public statement before. He made it seem like this unusualness was a result of the case itself and the egregiousness of the defense’s allegations and the public’s response.

However, perhaps if he had focused more on advocating for justice and JOK and not defending his friends or poorly put together case maybe he would have remembered that the real reason he probably never issued such a statement during course of his career is because it is discouraged by the Massachusetts Rules of Professional Conduct.

It is one thing to empathize with those mentioned in his video or to feel sensitive about the topic but it is entirely another to disrespect and misuse the status, obligations and privilege that comes with being a DA and a representative of the court of law. By publicizing that video prioritized his opinions and emotions over obtaining justice for the victims, JOK and his family, and KR’s, or the defendant’s right to a fair trial. He is not judge, jury and executioner so instead of belittling the defense and providing KR with his guilty verdict he should let the court and trial carry on and not be contributor to a tainted jury tool.

Also how does Morrissey know what MP does and does not have time for? They don’t live together and unless they share all their Google Calendars or also follow one another on the Life360 app I don’t think that’s possible.

People will make time for the things that matter to them, including winning a case, saving face, investigating the correlation between love triangles and Aruba, completing paperwork drunk and so on and so on, so sometimes with people you never really know

JMO based on some of the readings below

Last edited:
And imo NOT ANY of the three ( deeply held beliefs/individual principles/ moral convictions) should be a consideration in deciding KR’s guilt or innocence.

Was this an opportunity for Bev to go into a meeting with the jurors and re explain their duties such as impartial/ weigh the evidence/ etc. Or It is that a Nono ?

I don’t even know how deeply held beliefs could enter into this. Does that mean religious, cultural or what? Was there someone who believed it’s the woman’s job to look out after the man, so by default she is guilty. Someone who does not believe in pre marital sex or drinking ? I am reaching but it’s kind of mind boggling.
That note alone would have been grounds for the victim to seek a new trial imo. As it turns out there was no need lol.

I think Bev let this jury go very far afield and it appears there was a true lack of strong leadership in that room. And some very confused jurors as to what they duty was/ what they swore to do.
Of course all my opinion.

All she needed to do was clarify if there were any charges that the jury agreed upon and we wouldn't be in such a mess. That would've taken 3 minutes. Just 3 extra minutes in a trial that lasted a month and involved 70+ witnesses, and we would've seen KR acquitted on 2 out of 3 charges.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalto677
Back