MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have not followed the Turtle Boy story so I found this interview with him. He shares the progression of how he got involved in the Karen Read trial.

That's not the same as civil litigation and it isn't up to the individuals to decide whether charges are pressed. Of course, they would need to cooperate with the prosecution for the state to be successful. But I'm willing to bet the mistrial - with the state currently saying they'll re-try - keeps the criminal case against TB in limbo until after the re-trial. If there is one.

I could be very wrong, but I doubt they will actually re-try Read now with the even more glaring problems with the state police who investigated. The defense also knows the full extent of the prosecution's case now and will be far better prepared to attack it. And I can't see the CW doing any better than Trooper Joe Paul. If they could have found a decent accident reconstructionist they never would have used him the first time. The state has to know the odds of anything better than another mistrial are pretty slim.

There is nothing to stop the Alberts, McCabes and friends from filing civil lawsuits against Turtleboy for harassment, slander, and libel. There is a 3 year statute of limitations on such civil cases, so if, for example, the alleged wrongdoing happened in June of 2023, a lawsuit would have to be filed by June of 2026.

The problem with civil lawsuits is the burden shifts to the litigants to prove the tort and their subsequent damages, which is actually often difficult to do. The bar is arguably made even higher by the fact that they could be considered by the court to be "involuntary public figures" because of their involvement in the criminal case. Which means they'd have to prove malicious intent to proceed with a civil case against Turtleboy.

The biggest problem for them though would be civil depositions (which are taken under oath) where TB's attorneys could ask all sorts of wide ranging questions. Especially if Karen Read remains innocent in the eyes of the law, they'd need to be extremely careful not to perjure themselves, or worse, accidentally talk themselves into murder charges.

So long story short, we don't know why Jen hired attorney Kevin Reddington. He's mostly known these days as a criminal lawyer, but he's done a good amount of civil work in the past. I don't judge people for lawyering up whenever they feel uncomfortable in a legal setting, but perhaps she had more reason than most to feel uncomfortable?
He’s massive bucks.

I have not followed the Turtle Boy story so I found this interview with him. He shares the progression of how he got involved in the Karen Read trial.
Summary:
  • From Worcester, MA.
  • Aidan Kierney.
  • High school teacher for 10 or 11 years.
  • Began blogging.
  • Was suspended and eventually lost his job as a teacher due to controversial blogs.
  • Turned his journalism/blogging into a full-time business for the past ten years.
  • Investigated corruption and crime to blog about.
  • Became aware of corruption in Canton police, and wrote a blog about Troopergate.
  • Involvement in the Karen Read case came about because it was local to him and quickly gained international intention.
  • Reviewed most details of the testimonies given during KR trial.
  • Believes KR is innocent because of the evidence presented.
  • Discussed his journalism, activism and organizing peaceful protests.
  • Went to witness homes and JMc kid's lacrosse game, took photos of JMc car at the Proctor's, went to Julie Nagle's home, and the McCabes, believing it was investigating and peaceful protesting.
  • Spent 60 days in jail after bail revoked for felony witness intimidation after an alleged assault related to his former girlfriend.
  • Was in jail with murderers, as well as one guy who murdered his wife who was investigated by Michael Proctor.
  • Reviewed the jury conviction.
  • Discussed the public's opinion of KR and rubbing people the wrong way.
  • Discussed dead turtle found at his mother's house.
  • Believes the turtle investigation got better police work than JOK's investigation.
  • Discussed Chris Albert and Colin Albert and the assault by the mob of the Alberts crew at C.S. McCarthys.
  • He became friends with KR but no longer considers them friends. They distanced from him after he got locked up due to witness intimidation.
  • Every time he talks with KR now is "on the record".
MOO.

I could be very wrong, but I doubt they will actually re-try Read now with the even more glaring problems with the state police who investigated. The defense also knows the full extent of the prosecution's case now and will be far better prepared to attack it. And I can't see the CW doing any better than Trooper Joe Paul. If they could have found a decent accident reconstructionist they never would have used him the first time. The state has to know the odds of anything better than another mistrial are pretty slim.
^^rsbm

Two things tell me that the Boston PD and local politics most likely influenced this case from the beginning.

First, on Feb 1, 2022, we have KR arrested and charged with manslaughter, presumably based on the evidence.

Second, KR is arrested again on June 9, 2022 while the Norfolk County District Attorney's Office announced that a grand jury indicted Read on a second-degree murder charge.

Was the murder charge the result of political pressure when this was clearly an overcharge? I think so. I think the CW bowed to the pressure of JOK being a policemen when her charges were upgraded -- ignoring how this was not a line of duty death.

Given the world now knows the vote of the jurors to acquit KR on 2nd degree murder and leaving the scene of a collision, I think it would be insane for the CW to refile these two charges.

However, even with glaring problems facing the MSP, I think the politics of the area will demand KR be retried for manslaughter.

If nothing else, I think the CW gained confidence knowing 9 of 12 jurors voted to convict KR of manslaughter, and won't be deterred to recharge for this offense.

IMO, the majority vote to convict on manslaughter also tells us that 9 jurors seemingly gave zero weight to the defense's expert witnesses, just as they weren't swayed by any of the other allegations by the defense including: JOK was severely beaten, Brian Albert had ties to the Canton PD, MA State Police colluded in a large scale cover up, and McCabe performed early an search on how long it took to die when exposed to the cold.

In other words, none of the above even served to create reasonable doubt in the minds of 9 jurors, and vote KR not guilty of manslaughter.

MOO

Summary:
  • From Worcester, MA.
  • Aidan Kierney.
  • High school teacher for 10 or 11 years.
  • Began blogging.
  • Was suspended and eventually lost his job as a teacher due to controversial blogs.
  • Turned his journalism/blogging into a full-time business for the past ten years.
  • Investigated corruption and crime to blog about.
  • Became aware of corruption in Canton police, and wrote a blog about Troopergate.
  • Involvement in the Karen Read case came about because it was local to him and quickly gained international intention.
  • Reviewed most details of the testimonies given during KR trial.
  • Believes KR is innocent because of the evidence presented.
  • Discussed his journalism, activism and organizing peaceful protests.
  • Went to witness homes and JMc kid's lacrosse game, took photos of JMc car at the Proctor's, went to Julie Nagle's home, and the McCabes, believing it was investigating and peaceful protesting.
  • Spent 60 days in jail after bail revoked for felony witness intimidation after an alleged assault related to his former girlfriend.
  • Was in jail with murderers, as well as one guy who murdered his wife who was investigated by Michael Proctor.
  • Reviewed the jury conviction.
  • Discussed the public's opinion of KR and rubbing people the wrong way.
  • Discussed dead turtle found at his mother's house.
  • Believes the turtle investigation got better police work than JOK's investigation.
  • Discussed Chris Albert and Colin Albert and the assault by the mob of the Alberts crew at C.S. McCarthys.
  • He became friends with KR but no longer considers them friends. They distanced from him after he got locked up due to witness intimidation.
  • Every time he talks with KR now is "on the record".
MOO.
I’m not going to watch that, but not sure how forthcoming he is about his “controversial” history (Pre Karen Read). Easily googlable stuff, including this link which may or may not be paywalled (Currently isn’t for me)

Last edited:
I’m not going to watch that, but not sure how forthcoming he is about his past “controversial” stuff (Pre Karen Read). Easily googlable, including this link, may or may not be paywalled. Currently isn’t for me
Each person will have an opinion about him, and I am neither advocating for or against what he claims. He's obviously carved out a niche for himself in writing and activism (as he calls it), is making money, and has gotten himself into trouble also. Since I knew nothing about him except what has been discussed here, and his relationship to the KR case, it was interesting (to me) to see the interview to understand his perspective. Maybe others are interested too - or not.
MOO.

Last edited:
^^rsbm

Two things tell me that the Boston PD and local politics most likely influenced this case from the beginning.

First, on Feb 1, 2022, we have KR arrested and charged with manslaughter, presumably based on the evidence.

Second, KR is arrested again on June 9, 2022 while the Norfolk County District Attorney's Office announced that a grand jury indicted Read on a second-degree murder charge.

Was the murder charge the result of political pressure when this was clearly an overcharge? I think so. I think the CW bowed to the pressure of JOK being a policemen when her charges were upgraded -- ignoring how this was not a line of duty death.

Given the world now knows the vote of the jurors to acquit KR on 2nd degree murder and leaving the scene of a collision, I think it would be insane for the CW to refile these two charges.

However, even with glaring problems facing the MSP, I think the politics of the area will demand KR be retried for manslaughter.

Of course, I don't know what may have gone on behind the scenes but the Boston Police have been almost entirely silent with regard to this case. Starting from the very beginning, few if any officers from the force showed up at any of the hearings. So I'm not seeing or sensing any pressure from the Boston PD with regard to the prosecution of Read. I have thoughts on why this may be, but suffice to say my thoughts are related to the homeowner and things I've heard.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the politics of the area" demanding a retrial. Michael Morrissey is likely demanding one and as he's the county DA, that's a pretty powerful vote. But beyond him, I don't think there is much appetite for a retrial anywhere else. I think if even Lally had an anonymous vote, it would be a big "Pass", he'll gladly take the tie.

I personally think the upgrade of charges to murder was because the CW didn't want this to go to trial at the time and figured Read would be much more inclined to plead guilty to manslaughter with a murder charge hanging over her. It's not an unusual tactic around here, but Read, unlike so many other defendants, had the means to afford a solid defense team.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by "the politics of the area" demanding a retrial. Michael Morrissey is likely demanding one and as he's the county DA, that's a pretty powerful vote.
Morrissey is exactly who I was referring to. Gatekeeper where all roads come, go, and circle.

Morrissey was already the the focus of a US District Attorney investigation before JOK death, and following his death, he became the target of an investigation by the the feds. MOO

ETA: Attached wrong link

Last edited:
Morrissey is exactly who I was referring to. Gatekeeper where all roads come, go, and circle.

Morrissey was already the the focus of a US District Attorney investigation before JOK death, and following his death, he became the target of an investigation by the the feds. MOO

So says David Yannetti. We really don't know who or what the FBI is/was investigating. Morrissey sure was interested to know though. That's a fact.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbustam1
Back