MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Witness #31 was at the house on Fairview in Canton the night John O'Keefe died. Juli Nagel talks about hanging out with Brian Jr and the five other woman, all friends of Brian, who came to celebrate his birthday.

Nagel testifies she saw a black SUV parked near the house on Fairview before she went out to speak to her brother and his friends in a pickup. She asked them if they wanted to join the party.
They said no..she said she'd find another way home.

Nagel says this black SUV was parked in three different locations when she was looking out.
But she never saw anyone get out of the vehicle. She's not sure if the SUV was running. Could not see inside it. Implication is this is Karen Read's vehicle.

Julie testifies as they were leaving she saw "kind of ike a black blob" in the snow on the front lawn.
This is the first time we have had a witness notice something out of the ordinary at the Albert home that night.
She points a laser pointer at the area of the yard.

Nagel says she told other occupants (sarah levinson, the McCabes) I think I might have seen something, I don't know what it was. She testifies it was maybe 5 or 6 feet long.
She says she was intoxicated..apparently they didn't stop to look at this blob or black hole.

After facing some intense cross examination from the defense attorney Yannetti, about why she didn't call police about seeing that "blob", about how drunk she was, we have hit the end of the day. Nagel will be back on the stand in the morning for Lally redirect.

@JHall7news

It's pretty suspicious. Julie Nagel can't recall how much she drank that night or whether her phone had lost its charge. However, she remembered this black object on the lawn but didn't tell anyone about it until eight months later after the defense announced that no one at the house had seen anything. Then today for the first time she announces that the object was 5-6 feet in length.

Nagel definitely seemed to have a selective memory and was unwilling to admit to anything unless the defense has hard evidence to prove it. In contrast, the previous witness, Sarah Levinson, was more straightforward even if she clearly didn't like the defense.

edit-
And why did Jen McCabe want those screenshots!?

I was thinking about it today. If an accused is found guilty, but they have ineffective counsel, they get a new trial. This case is more like ineffective counsel AND investigation, so there will be a NG verdict and they CANNOT go back for a new trial!! I do hope that the FBI are watching and adding to their investigation all of these perjury/can't remember testimonies!

All the family/friends' testimony sounds Hinky to me, especially Brian Albert Sr. However, difficult to believe O'Keefe was actually in that house and every witness (12 or more?) has colluded in their lies to deny he was there. Can you imagine all the conspiracy meetings they would have had to prep for court.
if he went in the front door they may have not seen him from the kitchen if he was intercepted first and brought downstairs to the "man cave" . Or he could have been attacked outside the house. Hard to say - its like a
"who's on first" deal over there that night. Lots of binge drinking it would seem. JMO

if he went in the front door they may have not seen him from the kitchen if he was intercepted first and brought downstairs to the "man cave" . Or he could have been attacked outside the house. Hard to say - its like a
"who's on first" deal over there that night. Lots of binge drinking it would seem. JMO
J Mc with her let's keep the 'kids' partying. Wanting the screen shots off one of the girls phones with her brother.. always thinking J Mc, cannot wait for her time to come up, it will be something else.

It definitely SEEMS like they're hiding something, it would be so much easier to just tell the truth than just being flippant or giving I don't knows or vague answers. They might not have killed him but maybe even did something that lead to the death, maybe Karen did still hit him with the car but wasn't that wasn't the actual cause of death. There are so many little things that keep adding up that don't make sense if they weren't involved. Also, the prosecution is not doing a good job of prosecuting KR at all up to this point.

Anyways just my speculation and opinions, if I was a jury member at this point to me there's reasonable doubt.

N
4-5 a.m. – At 4:23 a.m. while heavy snow was falling, O'Keefe's niece called Jennifer McCabe, Brian Albert's sister-in-law and a friend of O'Keefe's. She said Read was "distraught" because O'Keefe had not come home and was not answering his cellphone. According to court documents, McCabe said she heard Read screaming "John didn't come home. We had a fight." Around 5 a.m. Read called another woman whose husband was friends with O'Keefe. Prosecutors alleged that Read said while they searched "What if he's dead? What if a plow hit him? … I don't remember anything from last night, we drank so much I don't remember anything."
A timeline of the Karen Read case and the story behind the high-profile Massachusetts murder trial

Julie Nagel is a ride or die chick.
Of course her boyfriend is gonna say that. But I applaud your loyalty.

Sorry if this was mentioned by why did the judge end the day before Prosecution got to cross that last witness? Prosecution redirects last, like, five minutes lol. Was this giving the state more time to prepare? The timing is so weird.

The prosecution could clear up any sense of evasiveness on re-direct. Or they could have asked the questions on direct so the defense didn’t have any chance to create a sense of evasiveness. Why isn’t the prosecution doing this is my question.
Re-direct has been Lally’s kryptonite so far. He is better off just zippin it. Remember the lovely couple, the Kolokithas’?
He treated the husband as a hostile witness. Re-direct fires back on him more than not.

Ps. By saying Lally has a kryptonite, I am NOT implying he’s the Superman.

It's pretty suspicious. Julie Nagel can't recall how much she drank that night or whether her phone had lost its charge. However, she remembered this black object on the lawn but didn't tell anyone about it until eight months later after the defense announced that no one at the house had seen anything. Then today for the first time she announces that the object was 5-6 feet in length.

Nagel definitely seemed to have a selective memory and was unwilling to admit to anything unless the defense has hard evidence to prove it. In contrast, the previous witness, Sarah Levinson, was more straightforward even if she clearly didn't like the defense.

edit-
And why did Jen McCabe want those screenshots!?
Isn’t it amazing how they all can’t remember things they should remember about themselves, but have a vivid memory of someone else’s nail color, which way they parted their hair, and how many minutes it took for them to go pee.

N

Of course her boyfriend is gonna say that. But I applaud your loyalty.
Again, I see where KR sayyyyys she can't remember anything due to drinking so much. How did she even drive away to JO's house or her own. Function? I despise the arrogance of those that have themselves a GREAT time then without a thought get on the road where the innocent are driving on the same roads..they all do, but we all know by now their moral compass, etc., etc. etc. Alberts and McCabes for sure. Past and present re BA no question.

a little confused why the defense didn't just ask the guy to describe the photo or put it up on a screen... if it was important for the jury to see.

the takeaway - it wasn't. and yet was another thing where the defense tries to allude to "something" being up... but oh no - jury - you just didn't get to see it! drat.
This is, quite literally, the job of the Defense. Introduce reasonable doubt. The burden of proof lies with the prosecution. Like or dislike their tactics but they’re doing their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti