MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop Black

Former Member
Reaction score

Karen Read has been charged with second-degree murder, motor vehicle manslaughter and leaving the scene of a collision in the January 2022 death of her off-duty Boston Police Officer boyfriend John O'Keefe outside a Canton, Mass., home.

She's pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Leading up to his death, the couple of two years reportedly spent the night drinking and bar hopping with friends before Read, 43, dropped O'Keefe, 46, off at the home of a fellow off-duty police officer for an after-party, PEOPLE previously reported.

Prosecutors say as O'Keefe exited the vehicle, Read allegedly proceeded to make a three-point turn during a winter storm, striking her boyfriend in the process before driving off.

After O'Keefe failed to return home hours later, Read allegedly went looking for him, before finding his body in a snowbank outside the home where she allegedly left him.

Karen-Read-and-John-OKeefe-8c0b529e6823492aaf409a1c96c15ccc.jpg

john-okeefe-police-officer-dd6a844c30fa4341b2dba22774525391.jpg

Thread #1Thread #2 Thread #3Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8

Last edited by a moderator:

Please continue here.

So the analyst from Bode DNA was not informative for me...
-We know this guy actually passed his certifications (unlike the other one).
-We know the hair on the car was destroyed during testing.

-Was the hair consistent with human or animal?
-Was the hair tested for adhesive or other substances that would explain how it stayed on the car through blizzard conditions on a tow truck?
-Which tail light piece was submitted for testing and who chose it?

NBCBoston link, if anyone needs it. Just one of many options to watch trial live stream:

Did I hear that right that Tully testified that some of the taillight pieces were found in the roadway? Hadn't a snow plow been down that road twice before JOK was found? How could the pieces (had they been in the road) not have been moved by the plow?

Did I hear that right that Tully testified that some of the taillight pieces were found in the roadway? Hadn't a snow plow been down that road twice before JOK was found? How could the pieces (had they been in the road) not have been moved by the plow?
Maybe plow truck went right down the middle of the road, pieces were off to side by sneaker I believe.

Hypothetically and backup up by some evidence: They were both very drunk. He got out of the car and kneeled to get sick or fell into the street near the curb facing so the back of his head was toward the rear of the car. She backed up and hit him going 20ish miles an hour and dragged his arm through the wheel-well as she sped off in the forward direction. This caused the injuries to his head and arm. He stumbled away to die in the cold.

As far as I know, this is not the prosecution's view of this case, although it would be nice if they would finally put someone on the stand who will testify to what they think actually happened.

I've seen various versions of this posited by folks on the internet, but I don't think this is a particularly likely scenario.
  • Why would he have been looking in the opposite direction? If he was throwing up, wouldn't his head be facing down? In which case we would see injuries to his cheekbones, not the back of his head.
  • The SUV traveled more than 60 feet in reverse according to the prosecution. Why wouldn't he have heard it moving towards him and simply stepped out of the way?
  • Wouldn't there be evidence of throw up found on the roadway?
  • The police forensic scientist testified that she examined the underside of the car and found no blood or hair evidence. And there's nothing in a wheel well that could cause those kind of evenly spaced scratches.
  • If his arm was dragged through the wheel well there should be evidence on John's hoodie: Tire tracks, grease, dirt, and so forth. From what I could tell, aside from the blood the shirt looked pretty clean. Additionally, the holes in the shirt do not at all match what would happen if they were dragged through a wheel well. They definitely appear closer to puncture marks than to abrasions from rubbing.
1718301337641.png

@SueNBCBoston

Chart is explaining receiving a sample of John OKeefe’s DNA.She testifies that John OKeefe can not be excluded as a match to the DNA from the hair.

2:18 PM · Jun 13, 2024

She is now testifying about that 99% of the population can be excluded.Lally is done.Defense has no questions

2:20 PM · Jun 13, 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member