Identified! MA - Provincetown, Race Point, 'Lady in the Dunes' WhtFem 27-49, UP11840, Jul'74 - Ruth Marie Terry

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How would a 9 year old know that or her parents for that matter that were just vacationing there?

I was referring to the other people that she mentions who didn't report it right away. It sounded like at least some of them were adults.

But kids are even less predictable. When I was a kid, one of the neighbor boys found a body at the edge of a wheat field and was making a nice side income sneaking the rest of us in one at a time to see it. Unfortunately he got caught before my turn came up.

I was referring to the other people that she mentions who didn't report it right away. It sounded like at least some of them were adults.

But kids are even less predictable. When I was a kid, one of the neighbor boys found a body at the edge of a wheat field and was making a nice side income sneaking the rest of us in one at a time to see it. Unfortunately he got caught before my turn came up.
Considering S.King's son and his interest in this case, your post is most appropriate, reminds me of one of my favorite movies!

Well seems the picture of the girl was not recognized by anyone because I have heard nothing on it.
I was so hoping someone was going to come forward with who she was or if they even remembered her.

BINGO! I think it is her.

Betty Dyer of Ohio

Attachments

• BDyer.png
    BDyer.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 59
I recently created a new reconstruction using the clay bust c. 1979

Attachments

• LOTD.jpg
    LOTD.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 34
Do you have any pointers to her information? Google wasn't very helpful.

Betty was last seen 12/31/72. Her car was found and all of her clothing was in it.

Thanks but these articles are both from so long ago I was wondering if she’s in any current missing persons databases. Hard to know if she’s even still missing.

I wonder too Sunny. I found an article saying that they did a search for her body in 1995, so she was still missing then:

From ORC Text:
24 March 1995
News-Journal from Mansfield, Ohio
Page 8
Police should search for body v The issue: ; No trace of Betty Dyer's body was found after a quick search ; near Crystal Springs Avenue Our opinion: ' A more thorough search should be conducted for the remains to satisfy Dyer family We agree with Richland County Prosecutor James Mayer Jr. A more thorough search should be conducted for the remains of Betty Dyer. Mrs. Dyer's 1972 disappearance remained a mystery until recently when former Mansfielder Lawrence Davis pleaded no contest to helping dispose of her body following her killing. Authorities and Mrs. Dyer's family members believe Davis is the killer. Following his court appearance, Davis led authorities to a wooded area off Crystal Springs Avenue where he said he had disposed of the body. No trace of the body was found after a quick search. Authorities are not certain if the body was dumped or buried. The Dyer family is not satisfied with police efforts to discover some trace of the body. Although family members now know what happened to Mrs. Dyer, they say they cannot put the matter to rest until the body is discovered. It will obviously not be easy to find some trace of the body after 20 years. This is particularly true since Davis apparently did not provide detailed information. But authorities should be sensitive to the feelings of the Dyer family and the need to bring final closure to this case. At least a careful combing of the area should be undertaken for possible, clues. Volunteers could be used if they are given careful instructions on how to search and how to log what they find. If Davis was at all specific about a site, some limited digging could also be undertaken. We are not suggesting police dig up the entire woodland or nearby neighborhoods. But they could make an effort based on where Davis guided them. Police may be satisfied, but a family isn't. Some effort should be made to remedy that
News-Journal from Mansfield, Ohio on March 24, 1995 · 8

Based on the above info (a killer who confessed) it seems unlikely that she is the Lady of the Dunes who was found 2 years later. JMO.

I finally found her in Namus. Missing Person Case

I'd say from the circumstances there's almost zero chance she's our lady, leaving aside that she's too small, too old, and has no connection to Massachusetts. She's close enough on all of those that if there were compelling circumstances, I wouldn't rule her out, but with somebody having copped to her murder, it's really unlikely.

I finally found her in Namus. Missing Person Case

I'd say from the circumstances there's almost zero chance she's our lady, leaving aside that she's too small, too old, and has no connection to Massachusetts. She's close enough on all of those that if there were compelling circumstances, I wouldn't rule her out, but with somebody having copped to her murder, it's really unlikely.

Thanks Carbuff, I don't know why that didn't come up for me when I searched.
Here's a thread for Betty: OH - OH - Betty Dyer, 42, Mansfield, 31 Dec 1972

Those full set of dentals should be an automatic rule-out, considering that Lady has extensive dental work.

But I wonder how good was that "quick search" after Dyer, anyway? Maybe she was found earlier? Could she be linked to other UID's?

Edit: Just like the police, I did a quick search in NamUs after any matching UIDs found in and after 1972, but couldn't find any that could match the description of Betty Dyer. So, she might be still lying in those woods, or Davis could be lying and Dyer is somewhere else (perhaps a Jane Doe somewhere else?).

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back