MA MA - Simone Ridinger, 17, Sherborn, 2 Sept 1977

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
New efforts underway to solve 1977 disappearance of Sherborn teen | Boston.com

Article on Boston.com says they have some renewed interest in pursuing the case. I guess she would be turning 60 now.

Ok, a few things I noted,

First, the Sherborn detective handling the case is the same one who took over the case and jump started it a few years ago, James Godhino. He also commented on this thread a few years ago. This is the second or third time in the last few years where in conjunction with an article have reached out to the public for assistance.

Second, the description of her clothing sounded familiar. "Her co-workers told investigators she was wearing a blue vest-style blouse, blue jeans, white sneakers and was carrying a gray duffel bag." I thought I read previously the "blue vest style blouse" was her work uniform. She was not wearing this when she left the restaurant and she put this in the gray duffel bag.

Finally, I wish they would mention what a few of those 'information gaps" are.

Hey, sorry about the double entry. My keyboard got a bit glitchy and the only way I could correct it was to delete all the text except one character...Note to mods - feel free to delete these two blank entries, unless there is a secret way I can do it...

One more thing, since Sherborn is part of Middlesex county, I made a request for records on this case to the Middlesex DA's Office. They formed a dedicated cold case unit and issued a press release with instructions on making a records request. If they can release, they recommended not asking for "any and all" records as it would take longer. So, I asked only for police records on Simone's case. It has been about 6 weeks and nothing so far...

JAN 2, 2020
On Teen's 60th Birthday, Detective Still Holds Out Hope
[...]

The Sherborn Police Department has been examining this case with fresh eyes, looking into the circumstances surrounding those crucial few days in early September so many years ago. One notable new perspective has come from Detective James Godinho, who took over Simone’s case in 2014.

“I decided to read some of the narratives, look at the documents that were in the case file. And honestly, after that review, I had even more questions,” says Godinho. “So I just kind of dove into it.”

[...]

simone_ridinger.jpg

Simone Ridinger as a teenager.

[...]

“She hitchhiked everywhere. To and from work, to and from school,” Godinho explains. “However, when she was discussing her plans to hitchhike to Cape Cod with her coworkers and family, there was a little bit of concern – even though the practice was prevalent back then – because of the distance involved. Cape Cod's probably about 60 to 70 miles from the Framingham [Sherborn] area.”

[...]

... 1986 – nine years later – when a man came forward stating that he may have given Simone a ride to Cape Cod the weekend she went missing. He had seen an article in a local newspaper featuring Simone’s missing photos and was sure she had been the girl in his car.

The man claimed that on his way to Osterville, Massachusetts on Sept. 3 that year, he was pulled over by a state trooper on Route 128. The trooper had a teenager in his car, and once he heard where the man was travelling, asked if the man would give the girl a ride since that was where she was heading too. He agreed, and later dropped her off at the Hyannis Airport Rotary Club. If it had been Simone, she could have easily caught a quick flight to Martha’s Vineyard.

blog-map-simone-ridinger-1.jpg

The hitchhiking route Simone likely took, starting at the Rainbow Restaurant at 9 South Main Street in Natick, Massachusetts, ending where she was last seen at the Hyannis Airport Rotary Club. She was supposed to meet her family in Martha’s Vineyard but never arrived.

There was one more important detail: The man said the girl he picked up was wearing a blue blouse, blue jeans, white sneakers and was carrying a grayish colored duffle bag. This important description came up in the investigation again in 2014.

... When they successfully found two old employees of the Rainbow Restaurant, they recalled Simone was wearing a blue vest-style blouse, blue jeans, white sneakers and carrying a gray duffle bag when she was last seen. Their account matched the description the man had given.

[...]

With these new details about what she was wearing, the Sherborn Police are hoping that it might jog memories of people who may have seen her around that time.

As her 60th birthday approaches on Jan. 5, 2020, it’s been some time since the last credible lead has come in about the Simone Ridinger case. But Godinho still holds out hope.

[...]

Simone Ridinger: Missing since 1977

t3346.gif

OK, I had a few more points I wanted to add:

I’m not sure if it’s a misprint but I don’t think there is a Hyannis Airport rotary club. There’s A Rotary club in Hyannis, that is up the road from the airport. If you came off of Route 6!and traveled south the Rotary club would be on your left near the golf course, further down is the Barnstable Airport near the rotary, where in everything I’ve read is the location where Simone was dropped off.

Second, this one really hit me, since the employees from the rainbow restaurant and the old man’s description of her clothes line up exactly, I’m going to speculate that she never went back to her apartment after leaving the rainbow restaurant. Think about it, the old man describes the clothes she was wearing when she left the restaurant that Friday afternoon. I’m thinking if she went home and slept or got any last minute items I am sure she would’ve had a change of clothes. So, did she sleep in these clothes all night since they were the same clothes He described Giving her a ride down to then Cape. So, that is why I believe the old man story of the state trooper heading off Simone to him is complete BS. Oh he saw Simone I’m not sure whether it was Friday after she got out of work or Saturday morning.

I've always read that he let her off at the rotary, i.e. the traffic circle. I guess somebody didn't realize what a rotary is?

OK, I had a few more points I wanted to add:

I’m not sure if it’s a misprint but I don’t think there is a Hyannis Airport rotary club. There’s A Rotary club in Hyannis, that is up the road from the airport. If you came off of Route 6!and traveled south the Rotary club would be on your left near the golf course, further down is the Barnstable Airport near the rotary, where in everything I’ve read is the location where Simone was dropped off.

Second, this one really hit me, since the employees from the rainbow restaurant and the old man’s description of her clothes line up exactly, I’m going to speculate that she never went back to her apartment after leaving the rainbow restaurant. Think about it, the old man describes the clothes she was wearing when she left the restaurant that Friday afternoon. I’m thinking if she went home and slept or got any last minute items I am sure she would’ve had a change of clothes. So, did she sleep in these clothes all night since they were the same clothes He described Giving her a ride down to then Cape. So, that is why I believe the old man story of the state trooper heading off Simone to him is complete BS. Oh he saw Simone I’m not sure whether it was Friday after she got out of work or Saturday morning.
Your observations might be evidence that Simone spent the night somewhere other than her apartment--in which case she wouldn't have had a change of clothes--but they're certainly not evidence against the veracity of the old man's story.
-
There are any number of reasons why Simone might have worn the same clothes as the evening before. She might have had them on for only a little while the night before, in which case they would have still been fresh. Maybe she didn't want to take the time to iron another blouse. I've often worn the same clothes two days in a row in order to avoid ironing.
-
Maybe Simone was harmed by someone who offered to take her to the island on a private yacht or in a private plane.

Since Simone was a free spirit and often hitchhiked, my guess is she got in the wrong car, with the wrong person. I wish we knew more on the search efforts done at that time . I agree, it does seem like she left right after work in her work attire. If she went home first, I would imagine she would have showered, or at least changed out of her uniform.

Since Simone was a free spirit and often hitchhiked, my guess is she got in the wrong car, with the wrong person. I wish we knew more on the search efforts done at that time . I agree, it does seem like she left right after work in her work attire. If she went home first, I would imagine she would have showered, or at least changed out of her uniform.
She wasn't wearing her uniform; she had changed out of her uniform before leaving work.

Your observations might be evidence that Simone spent the night somewhere other than her apartment--in which case she wouldn't have had a change of clothes--but they're certainly not evidence against the veracity of the old man's story.
-
There are any number of reasons why Simone might have worn the same clothes as the evening before. She might have had them on for only a little while the night before, in which case they would have still been fresh. Maybe she didn't want to take the time to iron another blouse. I've often worn the same clothes two days in a row in order to avoid ironing.
-
Maybe Simone was harmed by someone who offered to take her to the island on a private yacht or in a private plane.

A yacht or a plane? Seriously? Sorry but I cannot see a 17/18 year old in 1977 having the means and contacts to take these modes of transportation to the vineyard. I can safely say even today 99% of travelers and natives take the ferry.

A yacht or a plane? Seriously? Sorry but I cannot see a 17/18 year old in 1977 having the means and contacts to take these modes of transportation to the vineyard. I can safely say even today 99% of travelers and natives take the ferry.
All it would have taken would have been for Simone to have caught the eye of some rich guy who was among the 1% who didn't need to take the ferry. I don't know the names of the elite in that area, but envision someone like a young Donald Trump or a young Ted Kennedy--the typical rich guy who thinks he's entitled to rape working-class women with impunity.

All it would have taken would have been for Simone to have caught the eye of some rich guy who was among the 1% who didn't need to take the ferry. I don't know the names of the elite in that area, but envision someone like a young Donald Trump or a young Ted Kennedy--the typical rich guy who thinks he's entitled to rape working-class women with impunity.

You bring up a good point.
One of my classmates met her husband while vacationing on Cape Cod.

There are documented indifferences in regards to her attire. Some state work uniform others say a skirt and boots. Either way, she was carrying a bag....so she could have changed. With it being a busy labor day weekend, do we know if there were any other sightings besides the elderly man?

There are documented indifferences in regards to her attire. Some state work uniform others say a skirt and boots. Either way, she was carrying a bag....so she could have changed. With it being a busy labor day weekend, do we know if there were any other sightings besides the elderly man?
There are no other confirmed sightings. However, I have never followed a missing-person case yet where there weren't numerous unconfirmed (often spurious) sightings.

Hi there - Currently it looks like it is based on the 1986 report. However, there seems to be some credibility as the clothing descriptions given by eye witnesses the day before match the elderly man's clothing description. The clothing description came from Rainbow restaurant employees when interviewed by LE.

Please check out some of the previous posts as these questions were brought up and answered along with other comments and questions.
It’s really hard for me to fathom how a 70 year old man would remember the details of a
hitchhiker’s outfit 9 years after he gave her a ride - unless something about the encounter made a real impact on him. He said he didn’t learn that she was missing until 9 years later, so the memory couldn’t stem from trauma related to that. My husband could spend an entire day with me, and I’m not sure if he’d be able to give exact details about my shoes and clothing immediately after I walk out of the room! And it seems the 70 y/o’s description may have been accurate, since the last seen clothing was also corroborated by Simone’s waitressing colleague, right?

JGFitz, thank you for the thoughts on this. So you are correct on the timeline. What happened during those 14-15 hours, yes, is a complete unknown, however, we now strongly believe that this man did come into contact with her - given the recent corroborating description etc. So where was he coming from? He left his house in Framingham; if he took Route 9 East or even 90 East to get to 128/95 and then head south he would've been north of the intersection of 128/95 and Rt. 109. So his route does make some sense. Given his statement the focus really is on him at this stage; was he an innocent party who simply gave her a ride as requested or as you indicate did he not...did she not even make it to Cape Cod as he claims he dropped her off? We don't know just yet. The Cape Cod times should be doing a story on this later this week, hopeful for some feedback from some people, hopefully the article stirs up some old memories just as it did with our media outreach last fall.
I made a similar comment on the previous page, but what really strikes me as odd about this 70 year old’s story, is that he remembered such precise details of what Simone was wearing, 9 years later! His memory seems to have been accurate, since the waitressing friend remembered the same outfit. Something about that encounter must have left an impression on him.

OK, among several things, this one is most bewildering and says a lot to me. I know we are all different but, If I was the elderly gent, and I got home later that day and my wife asked "how was my day?" I think the first thing I would say was "honey, you would never believe what happened...I got pulled over on 128 and got no ticket, instead I gave this young girl a ride down the Cape!!" OK maybe he missed that opportunity, But...years later he reads a report in the paper (would love to find out if there was a story in early 86...) and Rip Van Wrinkle realizes the girl he gave a ride to 9 years earlier is missing (see my eyes roll...) and reports it to LE. And once again, he doesn't say anything to his family...Please...
I completely agree.

Hello, finally heard back from the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office. I made a request several months ago for Simone‘s case file. Per their request I kept it pretty limited to police notes and not asking for the whole file which would’ve taken longer. In any event I did hear back and they have refused to release the case file citing it is an ongoing investigation still. In any event, my next move might be to contact Detective Godino at the Sherborn Police Department. There’s one podcasts that may feature Simone‘s case however they need a family member or a member of law-enforcement to be the point person.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back